SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .38 Super P220 info and value?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.38 Super P220 info and value? Login/Join 
posted
Hello. New to the Sigforum and new to Sig ownership as well. Long story short, I have recently inherited my uncle's P220 in .38 Super that I had no idea he even owned and would like to get any available info on it and an idea of it's value for insurance. I have been able to determine from the date code it was manufactured in 1995 (KF date code) and that's about it. My aunt claims my uncle never fired it and she had forgotten he even purchased it.
It does appear to be brand new in the case and I believe the finish is electroless nickel from what info I can find from Google... Has "American" mag release and 3 mags that look like they have never been used.

From what I have been able to find searching Google, this is apparently a fairly scarce Sig and has some collector value. I am not a collector (yet), and as I said above, would like to get as much info on this gun as I could. How many made, is finish really electroless nickel, etc, etc....

As it seems to be N.I.B., should I leave it that way to maintain collector value (if any)???

Hopefully the links to pics below work...

Thank you very much in advance for any info that can be provided!

Scott

Posts: 9 | Location: Oregon | Registered: July 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
HOLY MOLY! Eek
Need new keyboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country
Andrew Cuomo & Michael Bloomberg = Friends of criminals
Clinton belongs in the jail house, not the White House.

Posts: 9674 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Eek Eek Eek

You have SCORED! That is a highly desirable, rare, and valuable pistol!!!!!

Very few in that configuration, and yes, if factory, its nickel. Shooting it will greatly diminish the value.

Open discussion on value is generally frowned upon, but I'd say you're well into 4 figures.

Congrats!!!

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4087 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot it!

Posts: 15675 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies on value discussion. I was unaware that it is frowned on.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

Posts: 9 | Location: Oregon | Registered: July 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SIGforum.

There is little to no value there, someone here will help you dispose of it. Smile

That was my Grail gun for years. There are not many of them out there.

Ultimately, I bought a blued version and had it finished in CPII.

I realized if I ever found one, I would not shoot it, b/c of the scarcity of that particular model.

You have a very desirable P-220 there.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 32866 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would not shoot it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 32866 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Put up an email and people will be happy to share their knowledge.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4087 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:

Boss

Why? Members should share their knowledge regarding the specific model openly on the forum.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country

Posts: 9674 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
You may call Sig and give them the serial number and they might provide how it left the factory.

IMO, the best vintage, the best caliber and the best finish.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

If it is in fact a factory nickel, for insurance purposes, I would say $1,500-$2,000 maybe more. For those who disagree, when was the last time you saw one, a real one?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
If I was insuring it I'd pick $2000 assuming it's an agreed value type policy.
That might not be its market value since we don't have the full
Facts but it's close enough.

Posts: 5375 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Congratulations, your Uncle left you a nice firearm

I love shooting my 38Super, it had a very distinctive KaaaaBOOM when it goes off Smile

Personally, I would not be worried about future resale value. I would shoot my Uncle's pistol and think about him each time I take it to the range. I doubt I would ever sell it, my nephew or godson would probably end up with it

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
BladeBuzz.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 4212 | Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
You may call Sig and give them the serial number and they might provide how it left the factory.

If it is in fact a factory nickel, for insurance purposes, I would say $1,500-$2,000 maybe more. For those who disagree, when was the last time you saw one, a real one?

Does Sig offer a "factory letter" similar to Ruger, Colt, and S&W;?...

Thank you to all who have replied to my original post! I read this was a great forum and you have proven that fact immediately!

Scott

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiteboy:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:

Does Sig offer a "factory letter" similar to Ruger, Colt, and S&W;?...

Thank you to all who have replied to my original post! I read this was a great forum and you have proven that fact immediately!

Scott

Unfortunately, they don't. And, with your gun made in 1995, it is unlikely that a call to SIG will result in anything useful, unless you have connection with someone there who's willing to dig up old info for you. Their standard answer, if you call with your inquiry will be, "Our database doesn't go back that far."

It is sad that SIG is not willing to provide the service officially. I would be glad to pay for it. This has been my beef with SIG for a long time. Roll Eyes

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, you're asking for this thread to be locked, right? Could you be any more obvious?

What's with you gunbroker email address, Boss? Tell me what that's about, please.

Posts: 72105 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
So, you're asking for this thread to be locked, right? Could you be any more obvious?

Huh, what?

I have no interest in some form of nefarious comms with this individual. Don't know him. As awesome as it is, couldn't afford the pistol, and quite honestly don't want another safe queen. My response was simply to provide some additional avenue to get info, as I am of the understanding that discussing firearms values is generally a no go here.

If I am misunderstanding something or if 'for insurance' purposes is an exception, then my apologies.

BOSS

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Your gunbroker email address- what's that about?

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I've had it for about 10 years... pretty much my entire membership here I believe...tho I am not now, nor have I ever been an FFL holder...or professionally employed in the gun sales biz...

I work in a transportation-related field

BOSS

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And just what is it that you can't "share" in the thread, and need to send him via email?

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Again, I thought discussing firearms values openly, outside of the perhaps the classifieds was against the rules, so if he wanted a to get some additional value-specific info, people could chat with him off line, if he so desired.

No harm intended...

BOSS

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.