Electrical Train Marienfelde - Zossen in 1901

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sven Drenkhahn_*

Guest_Sven Drenkhahn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2000 - 08:42 PM

Electrical Train Marienfelde - Zossen in 1901

I´m searching for more information about the experimental electic railroad between Marienfeld and Zossen in 1901. May be I´m try build an model. I have got the reprint of "Glasers Analen", the book "Triebwagen deutscher Eisenbahnen, Band 1: ET und ETA" and the articles in "Eisenbahn-Magazin" and "Miba".

In my opinion there were two loco´s and two railcars.

One Loco is still in Dresden. The other loco is splitt in two halfs (one is still in Berlin and one is the E69 005). The two railcars are junked.

Who knows more ? Are there any maps ?

Sven

#2 Kurt Möller

Kurt Möller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 January 2000 - 09:56 PM

Try to make a number of searches on the net! Also consult some of the books on early ry. electrification! Remember that the Marienfelde line even had the world speed record for railways for some time...!!! /KM
/ kurt

#3 Yevgeny Kushnir

Yevgeny Kushnir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 January 2000 - 06:40 AM

Weren't the five E69s build in the late 20s-early 30s to haul passenger and freight trains on one short line (might have been the Marienfelde)?? If so, then they would have no relation whatsoever to whatever happened in 1901. I am not sure if Marienfelde was the first electrified line in Germany, but it's in there geographically.

I don't thik any E69s have been scrapped - all still exist - most in fully operational order - they still pull trains on the same line even to this day.

#4 Martin Silz

Martin Silz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 19 January 2000 - 08:46 AM

The E69s were built for the line Murnau - Oberammergau in Bavaria (Marienfeld - Zossen is located in Prussia).
Martin

#5 John Oxlade

John Oxlade

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationWhatawhata, New Zealand

Posted 19 January 2000 - 01:46 PM

It doesn't answer the question, but there's more inf on the E69s elsewhere on this site:

http://www.worldrail...andbook/E69.htm

John

#6 Kurt Möller

Kurt Möller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 January 2000 - 05:58 PM

Also note that the Marienfelde line was originally electrified to the three-phase system with off-side catenary...
/ kurt

#7 Sith Sastrasinh

Sith Sastrasinh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 January 2000 - 04:54 AM

The electric locomotive that was tested on the (Prussian) military railway line Marienfelde-Zossen and later converted to a locomotive for LAG line Murnau-Oberammergau was not the locomotive that made world speed record (at that time). Strictly speaking the converted locomotive was not even an E 69.

In 1899 KPEV and 10 leading electrical and engineering firms in Germany set up an organization called Studiengesellschaft für elektrische Schnellbahn (StES). StES set up an experimental electric railway line set up on a section of military railway between Marienfelde and Zossen (distance 27 km). The line used three phase current at 10 kv. The frequency of the current was probably 50 Hz (according to my railway books), but in a 1953 book celebrating 50th aniversary of Siemens-Schuckert Werken the frequency was said to be 45 Hz. In 1901 Siemens & Halske (its name at that time) built an electric locomotive with two bogies (1A + A1) and a center cab. This locomotive was tested on the line Marienfelde-Zossen in June 1902. It reached the speed of 105 km/h. In 1902 van der Zypen & Charlier built two electric railcars, one was fitted with electrical equipment from AEG (A-Wagen) and the other with electrical equipment from S & H (S-Wagen). These two railcars did high speed experimental runs between Marienfelde and Zossen between 1902/03. On October 23, 1903 S-Wagen reached a speed of 206.7 km/h. Four days later A-Wagen ran at a speed of 210.2 km/h.

In 1905 Siemens-Schuckert Werken built an electric locomotive (mechanical parts from Katharinenhütte, Rohrbach/Pfalz) for LAG line Murnau-Oberammergau. This was LAG-1 (aka Katharina) that would become E 69 01. In 1909 Krauss and SSW supplied another two locomotives to LAG, LAG-2 and LAG-3 (Pauline and Hermine). These two locomotives were identical; they received DRG numbers E 69 02 and 03. In 1917/18 SSW divided its center cab locomotive that was built in 1901 (see above) into two halves. The first half was rebuilt as a work locomotive (locmotive No 3) for Siemens-Güterbahn in Berlin, using DC current. The other half was rebuilt in 1922 as LAG-4 (Johanna). In its original appearance LAG-4 looked exactly like a center cab locomotive that has been chopped in the middle. By 1930 this locomotive was not in use anymore. It was canibalized for spare parts. In 1934 Krauss built a new electric locomotive for LAG (electrical equipment from SSW) with some of the parts from the abandoned LAG-4. This locomotive was also called LAG-4 and when the DRG took over the line Murnau-Oberammergau it received the number E 69 04. LAG locomotive number 5 (Adolfine) was delivered in 1930. It was built by Maffei with electrical components from SSW. It was the last of E 69. E 69 02 and 03 are kept as Museumlok in running conditions by the DB. E 69 01 and 04 survives as Denkmal Loks. I don't know what happened to E 69 05.

The Royal Prussian Military Railway ran between military railway station in Schönberg, Berlin to Jüterbog. The station in Berlin was not very far from Anhalter freight station. There were barracks for railway troops nearby. The line ran parallel to the line between Berlin and Dresden until it reached Zossen which was about halfway to Jüterbog. Between Zossen and Jüterbog there was an artillery testing ground at Kummersdorf. Marienfelde was outside Berlin, beyond Tempelhof parade ground.

#8 Guest_Moritz G._*

Guest_Moritz G._*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2000 - 07:50 AM

> I don't know what happened to E 69 05

E 69 01: displayed at Deutsches Museum, München

E 69 02: kept by DB in Garmisch BW, technical examination expired

E 69 03: kept by DB in Garmisch BW, technical examination expired

E 69 04: monument in front of Murnau station

E 69 05: displayed at Localbahnmuseum Bayerisch Eisenstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users