• Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts

The Editorial Initiative

Design. Know. Nurture.
"All else is mutation."

What is this?

The purpose of this thread is simple: to promote a culture of positive, supportive intellectual critique, and to foster the creation of high quality Apocryphal texts. We are here to provide feedback, technical expertise, and knowledge of the lore to anyone and everyone who wishes to contribute their own ideas to the richness of the Elder Scrolls universe and would appreciate a bit of communal assistance in that effort.

How does it work?

Below is a list of available volunteer reviewers and their areas of expertise. Anyone who would like a little feedback on their work before posting can simply make that request here, either as a reply to this thread or as a PM to one of the reviewers, and arrange things privately from there. If you're interested in providing feedback and editing services to the community, just message the OP to have your name and area of specialization added to the list. No one willing to help will be turned away; this is a completely open group.

What does 'Apocrypha' mean?

Spoiler

Available Reviewers
These are the people you can PM to request feedback and who will respond to open requests in this thread.

Spoiler

Guidelines for Reviewers

Spoiler

Tips for Writers

The following information is intended purely as suggestion, based on the experience of the Society with what makes for a successful piece of Apocrypha.

Spoiler

All comments and suggestions on the content of this post are wholeheartedly welcomed. In particular, we're looking for additional writers' resources.

Edited by dinmenel, 01 January 2014 - 04:51 PM.

SeriousFace

SeriousFace
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1797 posts
It is a facet all too often overlooked of the Apocryphal writing process to ensure that one's work makes linguistic and logical sense. Too often have I read the wild and imaginative work of an enthusiastic lore scholar only to be drawn out of the magic by the glaring flaws and inconsistencies in the grammatical structure and ideological flow. Too often have I been enchanted by a marvelous insight only to be shocked back into cynical disregard by the confusion of the words "there" and "their."

Enter the Editorial Initiative.

No more will we of a more pedantic bent be obliged to grind our teeth at the imperfections of less studied writers. No more will those of you with minds sparkling with genius be deprived of the regard that you so richly deserve.

I can help you. I can help you to cunningly craft words and thoughts to fit within this marvelous English language. But more than that, I can help you with the subtle poetry of writing with another's voice. I can teach you to speak as though you were writing a scripture, as though you're a barely literate thief off the street, as though you are a dry, textureless scholar at some prestigiously dull university.

What say you? Will you take these first steps into a more clearly illuminated future with me? Will you accept my aid?

Issa Yojimbo

Issa Yojimbo
  • Members
  • Adept
  • 262 posts
This is exactly what this forum needs to become something amazing. You've got all my support.

Velorien

Velorien
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Master
  • 5995 posts
I never did respond to my invitation for this. I do, however, approve of and support the efforts of this initiative. I simply lack the time and energy I feel I should put forth to participate. Also, I can't say I often read most apocryphal writings posted on this forum for that same reason.

But again, my hat's off to those of you who volunteered to help out. If I ever decide to write my own, I'll be giving a couple of people a PM. ;)

SithisLorkhan

SithisLorkhan
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1797 posts
I feel like making a work about the time-lost Last Emperor of the Alessians, who reigned during the Dragon Break. But I can't come up with good ideas about him, or how his timeless nature worked. I don't even have the guts to submit my draft to this place for editing and review and all that. I didn't even save it. Damn this nervousness.

Phinix

Phinix
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1681 posts
Excellent idea and potential resource. Your guidelines and philosophy mirror my own in many ways, and I will certainly keep this offering in mind as I continue to explore. The Luciferous Logolepsy was quite a gift!

Vincent McCool

Vincent McCool
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1731 posts
This all seems very much in the right spirit. Hard to disagree with any of the guides given, probably the most outstanding advice on how to approach TES lore I've ever read. Bravo.

The task now is to create some outstanding Apocrypha that contradicts as many of your points as possible, of course.

Edited by Vincent McCool, 17 April 2012 - 02:48 PM.

Zinash

Zinash
  • Members
  • Adept
  • 247 posts

I feel like making a work about the time-lost Last Emperor of the Alessians, who reigned during the Dragon Break. But I can't come up with good ideas about him, or how his timeless nature worked. I don't even have the guts to submit my draft to this place for editing and review and all that. I didn't even save it. Damn this nervousness.

Funny...your narrative about your narrative makes me think that should be the theme/feel of your narrative of the last emperor of the dragon-break. A fear of stasis, or staleness, of not being able to come up with any new or good ideas. A lost, unsure nervousness of what will come next - what comes next for the future that never was?

Thoughtcriminal

Thoughtcriminal
  • Members
  • Pip
  • Curate
  • 641 posts
I will stage a hostile takeover of this organization. Do not be confused by my participation in this thread, I support it as the rope supports the hanging man.

But really, glad to see it up.

War_Psyence

War_Psyence
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1029 posts
Amazing idea. I completely agree with your tips for writers.

scourgicus

scourgicus
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1507 posts
Thank you for this. I now understand the odd words that muddle my understanding of lore. Your awesomeness approaches impossipoint (did I use that right?).

dinmenel

dinmenel
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts

Thank you for this. I now understand the odd words that muddle my understanding of lore. Your awesomeness approaches impossipoint (did I use that right?).

Success! But don't ask me about impossipoints.

Berzelius

Berzelius
  • Members
  • Adept
  • 329 posts
Whats the difference between Apocrypha and fan fiction? And, surely both belong on the fan fiction forum?

Haute QuĂȘteure

Haute QuĂȘteure
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Diviner
  • 3632 posts

Whats the difference between Apocrypha and fan fiction? And, surely both belong on the fan fiction forum?

Scope.

Also, no.

dinmenel

dinmenel
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts

Answered under 'What does 'Apocrypha' mean?'

"Anything written by a fan of the Elder Scrolls is termed 'fan fiction,' but only those fan fictions aimed specifically at expanding the lore and creating a living world are included within the term 'Apocrypha,' and only those Apocryphal texts which successfully "[achieve] the sense of an alien and exotic universe, avoiding standard fantasy genre conventions to achieve an overall sense of alterity, while still containing a successful narrative," do we call Monkey Truth."

So yes. Scope and connotation.

EDIT: The position has been filled.

Edited by dinmenel, 09 May 2012 - 09:12 AM.

SeriousFace

SeriousFace
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1797 posts
I am looking for a reviewer to lavish praise over help improve the first part of a short story I am writing regarding the mushrooms of Blackreach. Proofreading, structural analysis, general commentary appreciated. Lore evaluation not required.

Luagar2

Luagar2
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Diviner
  • 2192 posts
If by writer's resources you mean guides and essays to help with writing, there is a good essay by George Orwell here on language - I'd certainly recommend it. Robert Louis Stevenson also has a much longer piece called The Art of Writing, which might be helpful to varying degrees.

dinmenel

dinmenel
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts
That's a very nice essay, but not really about literary writing - still, I linked it in the resources because it's valuable anyway. Haven't read Stevenson's yet, but I linked it as well. Thanks very much!

Luagar2

Luagar2
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Diviner
  • 2192 posts

That's a very nice essay, but not really about literary writing - still, I linked it in the resources because it's valuable anyway. Haven't read Stevenson's yet, but I linked it as well. Thanks very much!

You are correct that it isn't explicitly about fiction, but its lesson on diction, phraseology and sentence structure is just as relevant to storytelling as it is to treatises - all the more when the goal is worldbuilding, and thus many times will require the author to write what might be called 'fictional nonfiction'.

dinmenel

dinmenel
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts
I said it was valuable, didn't I?

Edited by dinmenel, 16 June 2012 - 04:31 PM.

vilnii

vilnii
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1039 posts

It is a facet all too often overlooked of the Apocryphal writing process to ensure that one's work makes linguistic and logical sense. Too often have I read the wild and imaginative work of an enthusiastic lore scholar only to be drawn out of the magic by the glaring flaws and inconsistencies in the grammatical structure and ideological flow. Too often have I been enchanted by a marvelous insight only to be shocked back into cynical disregard by the confusion of the words "there" and "their."

Enter the Editorial Initiative.

No more will we of a more pedantic bent be obliged to grind our teeth at the imperfections of less studied writers. No more will those of you with minds sparkling with genius be deprived of the regard that you so richly deserve.

I can help you. I can help you to cunningly craft words and thoughts to fit within this marvelous English language. But more than that, I can help you with the subtle poetry of writing with another's voice. I can teach you to speak as though you were writing a scripture, as though you're a barely literate thief off the street, as though you are a dry, textureless scholar at some prestigiously dull university.

What say you? Will you take these first steps into a more clearly illuminated future with me? Will you accept my aid?

The prose flows effortlessly into the crevices of my mind

scourgicus

scourgicus
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1507 posts
Has there been any further work on this? Has anything been published here? Or have I just missed it?

ALKENO

ALKENO
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1840 posts
I don't think so, but it's good to know who's who around here incase anyone does need review.

dinmenel

dinmenel
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts
There hasn't been much Apocrypha put out lately. There's a bunch of stuff poised to publish and get the website going, but all of it needs polishing up before it's really ready. I PMed a few authors a while back about getting their stuff together, but I haven't heard anything since then. It's been a very busy summer for me, so that's why this hasn't been pushed further faster. We'll see how the next few weeks look.

scourgicus

scourgicus
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1507 posts
Is this at all related to Temple Zero Society? I just started going over there and there's some pretty great stuff there.

dinmenel

dinmenel
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1215 posts
Not really. T0's around to support a specific aesthetic. We're here to help anyone who wishes to build a living Tamriel via text.

Apocrypha is a term we use to describe the writings of fans designed to expand upon the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe. It denotes those fan creations executed with technical skill and a dedication to the creation of an organismic, living Tamriel.

The term could be thought of as part of the 'textual taxonomy' of the Elder Scrolls. Anything written by a fan of the Elder Scrolls is termed 'fan fiction,' but only those fan fictions aimed specifically at expanding the lore and creating a living world are included within the term 'Apocrypha,' and only those Apocryphal texts which successfully "[achieve] the sense of an alien and exotic universe, avoiding standard fantasy genre conventions to achieve an overall sense of alterity, while still containing a successful narrative," do we call Monkey Truth.

SeriousFace

SeriousFace
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1797 posts
I have come into possession of a small sphere of crystallized sap that appears to contain an encoded Argonian creation myth. I have the basic account completed, but would appreciate some help refining my translation.

That is to say, I am requesting editing, style and concept-improvement advice.

Haute QuĂȘteure

Haute QuĂȘteure
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Diviner
  • 3632 posts
COMING IN THE INDETERMINATE FUTURE TO A LUCID VENUE NEAR YOU!

The Old Ways of the Reach

The Nedheringa: Shezarr and the Nedes before Star-Wound.

Kwlchylhtstspwk Zrrklchlytkwknr-Sph: Mudcrab Gospel

FreakLore444

FreakLore444
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Diviner
  • 4451 posts
  • Location:Some Small Town, North Carolina, U.S.A., North America, North American Plate, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Our Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Oh Shor, thank you for this! I've found myself writing up stories on the who-whats of Tamriel only to scrap them because they're terrible. Now, there is this! It will turn my crap into not-so-foul-smelling urin! Maybe someday, I'll upgrade to cheap truck stop soap.

Edited by FreakLore444, 11 September 2012 - 02:03 PM.

SeriousFace

SeriousFace
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • Disciple
  • 1797 posts
Is this coming back? Tell me this is coming back.

Also, Argonian creation myth is still available for review.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users