To get started selling small employer health insurance through the SHOP (Small Business Health Options Program) Marketplace, you’ll need to register, sign an agreement, and create a profile on the SHOP Marketplace Agent/Broker Portal.
Step 1. Create a CMS Enterprise Portal user ID
- Create a HealthCare.gov account. Start by visiting the small employers landing page and select the primary state where you do business. Select “Apply Now” to create a HealthCare.gov account.
- Visit the CMS Enterprise Portal at https://portal.cms.gov/ and select “New User Registration.” (If you’ve registered with the Enterprise Portal to sell individual plans, don’t create a second Enterprise Portal account.)
- Create a CMS Enterprise Portal user ID and password.
- Use your new Enterprise Portal ID and password to log in.
- Select the agent/broker role.
- Request application access.
- Complete the identity proofing process.
When you finish, your CMS Enterprise Portal user ID will be activated.
Step 2. Register by completing the SHOP Marketplace Privacy and Security Agreement
- Log in to the CMS Enterprise Portal. You’ll be automatically redirected to the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS).
- Complete a profile on the MLMS.
- Sign the SHOP Marketplace Privacy and Security Agreement.
Step 3. Create your searchable SHOP Marketplace agent/broker profile
After you create a profile, small employers in your area searching for SHOP agents and brokers will be able to find you. You also must have a profile to submit applications and get commissions.
- Go to the SHOP Marketplace Agent/Broker Portal at https://healthcare.gov/marketplace/small-businesses/agent
- Log in to the Agent/Broker Portal with your CMS Enterprise Portal user ID and password
- Click on “My Account”
- Select “My Profile”
- Provide information about yourself and the services you offer
More Answers: SHOP Marketplace Agents & Brokers
- Do I need my state license number?
No. While you must have an active state insurance license to sell products through the SHOP Marketplace, you’ll need only your National Producer Number (NPN) to register.
- Do I have to take training to sell SHOP plans?
No, it’s not mandatory. The SHOP Marketplace training curriculum can help you use the SHOP Marketplace efficiently and effectively. We recommend you take this training before you sign the Privacy and Security Agreement, but it’s not required. You can return to take the training any time.
- Once I’m registered with the SHOP Marketplace, do I have to register again?
Yes. Agents and brokers must complete SHOP Marketplace registration every year. You’ll get messages to remind you.
No. Once a client authorizes you to represent them in the SHOP Marketplace, you’re authorized until they remove you.
- Only one agent or broker at a time can be authorized on a client account.
- Employers can change agents or brokers no more than twice per year.