Proprietary Education Page Banner

- Frequently Asked Questions -
(U.S. Department of Education)
Dear Medtech College Student:
If you were attending Medtech when it closed on August 23, 2016 or if you withdrew from the school within the last 120 days before August 23, 2016 you have two options:
1. Apply for a closed school loan discharge or
2. Transfer earned credit or hours to another school to continue your education in a comparable program.

For more information about these options, and to learn more about your eligibility for relief through a State Tuition Recovery Fund or other programs, visit and review the fact sheet about the Medtech closures.

If you have further questions, you may also contact the Department of Education’s School Eligibility Service Group, Multi-Regional and Foreign Schools Participation Division, at (202) 377-3168 or via email at:
  • STUDENT PROTECTION FUND (Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education)
    In order to be considered, a claim for restitution from the student protection fund shall be made within one (1) year of the date of the school or program closure.
    If you were enrolled and attending a licensed school at the time of its closure, you may be entitled to a refund for fees incurred during that time.
    To file a claim against the Student Protection Fund, please submit the following documents:
    For further information concerning this process, contact the commission office at 502-564-4185 or send an email to
    Access our webpage . Click on Request a Transcript under Quick Links and follow the instructions on the form.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education was established by action of the 2012 Kentucky General Assembly; it replaced the Board of Proprietary Education. The commission is charged with licensing and regulating all proprietary schools, doing business in Kentucky, other than those that offer a four year bachelor’s degree. In addition it administers the Student Protection Fund which reimburses eligible students in the event a school closes, loses its accreditation or discontinues a program. The work of the commission is funded entirely through fees paid by licensed institutions.

Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education
300 Sower Boulevard, 4th Floor
Frankfort, Ky 40601
Phone: 502-564-4185
Fax: 502-564-4248




Quick Links

New Regulations and Fees are in effect as of October 31, 2014