Nebraska Attorney General's Office
The Nebraska Department of Justice/Office of the Attorney General operates, in many respects, as the “State’s law firm.” The office is headed by the Nebraska Attorney General, an independently-elected constitutional officer, and is a diverse organization of highly specialized attorneys and support staff. The Attorney General’s Office is the largest “law firm” in Nebraska outside of Omaha.
- Uphold and defend the Constitution and laws of the State of Nebraska;
- Promote and support strong law enforcement;
- Achieve a higher level of public safety and security by promoting vigorous prosecution of murderers, drug dealers, child abusers and other criminals;
- Provide skilled assistance to local prosecutors in fighting illegal drugs and prosecuting child sexual abuse;
- Prosecute consumer fraud and deceptive trade practices, and protect Nebraskans from fraudulent business activities and scams by educating consumers;
- Advise state officials and agencies on proper legal compliance;
- Defend Nebraska’s interests in disputes with other state over water rights and overreach by Federal agencies;
- Protect the public health and safety of Nebraskans by pursuing disciplinary actions when necessary against health care professionals who endanger the public by violations of health regulations and drug laws;
- Provide professional legal representation in all civil proceedings on behalf of the State.
- Agriculture, Environment and Natural Resources (AENR)
- Civil Litigation
- Legal Services
- Public Protection