http://brilliantgameologists.com
January 08, 2017, 12:51:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Food for Thought, Basic: The Oberoni Fallacy  (Read 3463 times)
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »

Oberoni Fallacy – Restated Here

For the sake of clarity I would like to include This now classic statement:

Oberoni Fallacy- as originally stated:
Originally posted by Oberoni on the D&D general board July 23, 2002:

This my my take on the issue
Let’s say Bob the board member makes the assertion:

-“There is an inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X.”Several correct replies can be given:
-“I agree, there is an inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X.”
-“I agree, and it is easily solvable by changing the following part of Rule X.”
-“I disagree, you’ve merely misinterpreted part of Rule X. If you reread this part of Rule X, you will see there is no inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue.”

Okay, I hope you’re with me so far.
There is, however, an incorrect reply:

-“There is no inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X, because you can always Rule 0 the inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue.“

Now, this incorrect reply does not in truth agree with or dispute the original statement in any way, shape, or form.

It actually contradicts itself–the first part of the statement says there is no problem, while the last part proposes a generic fix to the “non-problem.”
It doesn’t follow the rules of debate and discussion, and thus should never be used.
Simple enough.

So for clarity the summary statement is:

It is a fallacy to state that: “There is no inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X, because you can always Rule 0 the inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue.“

I was going to post this in something else, but have had luck on this board getting people to suggest better ways to state things.  So is there a better way, and are there any comments?  Has anyone not heard of this?

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009
woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »

It's pretty much the same as response number 2. It's basically someone saying, "yeah that would be a problem if you're dumb enough to allow it," which is kinda harsh, but they aren't really committing a huge breach of logic or anything. I don't think this really needs a thread.

RobbyPants
Organ Grinder

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »

Well, there is a difference between response 2 and the fallacy.

Response 2 states both:
- I agree
- fix by doing X

Whereas the fallacy states:
- I disagree
- fix by doing x

The only difference is that with the Oberoni Fallacy, the person is asserting there is no problem because it can be fixed, which of course, makes no sense, because why whould they need to fix something that's not a problem in the first place.  It's a tiny difference, but worth noting.

As to your question, Josh, I think the bolded portion states what needs to be stated, but I like the three good example Oberoni posted ahead, just for clarification.  I think it further helps to distinguish why the last response is wrong.

My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
Halloween
Ring-Tailed Lemur

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »

Oberoni`s Fallacy is simply stated as is.

If you wanted to boil it down further I guess you could reduce it too:

"The existence of a solution to a mechanical problem in the text of an RPG, does not negate the fact that the problem does exist."

I believe that Oberoni's post is short enough that reposting it in it's entirety is almost always a better idea.

This is a vital understanding to have when discussing mechanics. Without all parties agreeing to this concept, no worthwhile argument can occur.
veekie
Organ Grinder

WARNING: Homing Miko

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:56:44 PM »

I prefer to think of it as a "Good GMs can always patch bad rules. Good rules don't need to be patched. Why give the poor guy more work?" thing.

The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."
Lakira
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »

"If you have to fix it, it's broke. After you fixed it, it doesn't mean it didn't use to be broke."

Edit: Better yet:

"If you have to fix it, it's broken. If you've been given a tool to fix it, it's still broken."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:22:00 PM by Lakira » Logged
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: