The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Electronically Transfers Your Federal Tax Return Information Into Your FAFSA.
- EASY: Transfer info with the click of a button.
- FAST: Instantly retrieve your information.
- ACCURATE: Correctly fill in data fields.
- Log in to your current FAFSA, or start a new FAFSA at fafsa.gov.
- In the finances section of the FAFSA, you will see a “Link to IRS” button if you are eligible to use the IRS DRT.
- Click the “Link to IRS” button and log in to the IRS to retrieve your tax return information.
- Review your tax return information, and see the tax data that will be transferred into your FAFSA.
- Check the “Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA” box, and click the “Transfer Now” button.
- Review your federal tax return information that has been transferred into the data fields on your FAFSA.
The IRS DRT can be used by both students and parents. To learn more about the IRS DRT, visit StudentAid.gov/irsdrt.
Federal Student Aid
An Office of the U.S. Department of Education
Proud Sponsor of the American Mind®