Visit Us Museum Shop Junior Aviator Contact Us
Special Exhibitions Upcoming Displays New Acquisitions
Special Exhibition Heritage Gallery Training Hangar Technology Hangar Hangar 180 External Displays Flying Displays Restoration Projects Behind the Scenes
General Events Aircraft Historical 360° Hangar Views
RAAF Badge RAAF Bases RAAF Units Personnel Records RAAF Aircraft
Volunteers Friends

Lockheed P2V-5 Neptune A89-302

Built originally as a P2V-4 and upgraded on the production line to P2V-5 standards, A89-302 was received at No 1 Aircraft Depot from the USA on 23 November 1951, serialled A89-595. Allotted to No 11 (General Reconnaissance) Squadron on 30 November 1951, the aircraft was renumbered A89-302 in August 1952. In June 1959, the aircraft was the first P2V-5 ferried to the USA for installation of Westinghouse J34 jet engines in addition to its piston engines, and was returned to No 11 Squadron in October that year.



After two trips to CAC Avalon for modifications in 1960 and 1961, A89-302 continued service with No 11 Squadron until March 1967, when the aircraft was converted to a training aid at the RAAF School of Technical Training at Wagga Wagga. In 1974, restoration of the aircraft was planned, but after inadvertent use as a fire training aid, A89-302 was recommended for disposal. The aircraft continued to be held at Wagga until early in 1998, when it was relocated to RAAF Base Laverton for eventual restoration and display by the RAAF Museum.























Back to Aircraft in Storage

Neptune Data Sheet

Neptune Image Gallery

See also History of SP-2H Neptune A89-302