Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backcountry campfire rules & etiquette?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backcountry campfire rules & etiquette?

Postby TigerFan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:02 am

I don't think I've ever backpacked anywhere that allows open campfires but it sounds like they're allowed in Yosemite? Is it really OK? Are there any limitations, rules, etiquette that I should to be aware of?

I understand that you can't cut down trees (no-brainer) and I've read suggestions that you bring your own starter/kindling.
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 pm

You can't have fires below 6000 feet or above 9600 feet in Yosemite. In neighboring wilderness areas, the ceiling is raised to 10,000 feet.

You can't build fires outside rings or bbq pits in the valley anywhere. The rangers frequently ask that in some areas, like Rancheria Falls, you camp only in established sites and use existing fire rings rather than make your own. You can't build fires or camp within 100 feet of water sources or trails, and you can't camp within a certain distance of trailheads (varies between 2-4 miles depending on trailhead, it will be on the back of your permit and is posted on the Yosemite NP website).

You can only use wood that is dead and down. It's possible and easy to build a fire using dry pine needles, leaves and twigs as fire starter - we never bring tinder tho have at times used a little tp or shreds of a cheap viscose towel.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TigerFan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Ah, I didn't know there was a minimum elevation.

Does the 100 feet from water sources mean that you can't camp lakeside? Our itinerary includes Booth and Beatrice lakes. I thought there were established campsites at both of these lakes and I guess I just assumed they would be lakeside.
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm

People do break the rules and camp too close to the water sometimes, but generally, yes, you need to camp a good distance from the water.

Here are the rules from the website (nps.gov/yose)

* The permit is only valid for the trip leader, trailheads, dates, and number of people specified on the permit.
* You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River.
* Group size is limited to 15 people or fewer, eight people maximum for any cross country hiking more than one-quarter mile from any trail. Stock use is limited to 25 head.
* Choose a previously impacted campsite at least 100 feet (30 meters/40 paces) from any water source or trail.
* All human waste must be buried at least six inches deep and at least 100 feet from water sources, camp areas, and trails.
* Do all washing at least 100 feet from water. Do not put any soap in water (even biodegradable and natural soap pollutes).
* Carry out all trash. Do not burn or bury toilet paper or trash.
* Wood fires are allowed in existing fire rings only, and prohibited above 9,600 feet in elevation. Use dead and down wood only.
* Proper food storage is mandatory. Allowed bear-resistant food canisters are required in all areas of Yosemite. Cleanup of food and debris if a bear gets your food is your responsibility. Report any bear incidents and sightings to the nearest ranger. You can also report bear sightings by calling the Save-a-Bear Hotline at 209/372-0322.

You won't have issues with the minimum elevation - most places you backpack will automatically be above that.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TigerFan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 pm

OK, so I take that to mean that we should only build fires where it's obvious others have had them before (I assume there aren't any "fire rings" like you'd find in the campgrounds) and we're not required to remove all the evidence (ashes, partially burned wood, etc.)

Thanks for the info.
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:10 pm

I have never heard about the 6000 ft. min elevation.
Maybe it is new. (I'm all for it though)
Rancheria Falls is < 6000 and I've always seen a ridiculous
number of fire rings there.
Only place we've had a fire was at Eleanor... < 6000...

Anyway, I assume you meant Bernice. No fires there.
Nor at Boothe.

Main thing is:
- dead and down wood only
- do NOT build a new fire ring, period

There is no "established campsite" at Bernice... just move a few
rocks and slap your tent or ground cloth down and enjoy.
When you leave put the rocks back so it looks like you were
never there.

The 100 ft. isn't that far. You'll still have great views and be able
to see the lake. If some else is there they can walk around the
lake shore and you'll still not be bothered...

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm

You know, now that I think about it... the min elevation rule is a Sierra NF thing.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/news/200 ... reas.shtml

This is what happens when you are hiking all over the place. Rules cross boundaries in your head. Ooops. I must have been researching the trails around Huntington and Shaver and got this crossed up with the Yosemite stuff.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TigerFan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:13 am

Yup, that should have been 'Bernice', not 'Beatrice'.

Thanks for the info. Having a fire would be nice but not a big deal; just wanted to make sure we did the right thing if we came across a fire ring.
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby johnstream » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:09 pm

There is a fantastic spot at Boothe...right off the "beach" there and right beneath a large bluff. Almost too nice though. Down towards the southern tip of Boothe is a very nice spot that overlooks all of boothe and down along the edge of Rafferty Peak going to the other direction.

Bernice has a couple of small spots on the western edge. they're grouped together and offer some shade and seclusion. Bernice is like nothing I've ever seen.

If you've got the time or extra energy, Babcock has a great spot with a large fire ring.
johnstream
Regular
Regular

Re: Backcountry campfire rules & etiquette?

Postby Cheezzer » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:02 am

Does anyone have any info on where fire rings are located on specific trails? Specifically Porcupine trailhead over by North Dome. Thanks
Cheezzer
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Backcountry campfire rules & etiquette?

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:52 pm

i don't know exactly where any fire rings are...but I believe that this year no open fires are permitted in the back country--only in establishe campgrounds.
Check out our website and blog at: http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking