vicious is currently certified at Master level.

Name: Jiri (George) Lebl
Member since: N/A
Last Login: 2009-08-27 18:51:39

FOAF RDF Share This



Math geek, formerly software geek. This exhibits itself by putting latex code into C programs by mistake, rather than vice versa as used to happen previously.

Credentials: Mathematics: I have successfully used the Baire Category Theorem in actual research. See my UIUC page for more.
Coder: I have created more easter eggs in gnome software than anyone else at the time. For example, Wanda the fish, which appears in more than one place if you know where to look and what to press, gdm computing square root of 2 or pi by monte carlo method, asking for coins on login, killer gegls from outer space, and more... At various times I was actually paid for this by Eazel and RedHat.

Below it says I'm a developer in a buttload of projects, but I'm not really anymore on anything but genius, since I don't have much hacking time these days.


Articles Posted by vicious

Recent blog entries by vicious

Syndication: RSS 2.0

Grossly violating elections

Russia reports gross violations in Moldova elections [1].  And Russia knows all about grossly violating elections…

Syndicated 2014-12-03 17:07:55 from The Spectre of Math

Law of large numbers: idiots, monkeys, CEOs, politicians, and nuclear war

Something that seems to be ignored by many people is the law of large numbers.  Suppose you take an action that has 99% rate of success.  That’s 1% chance failure.  Tiny!  Well do it enough times, and failures will happen.  Given enough candidates with 1% chance of winning, one of them will win.  Then everybody is surprised (but shouldn’t be).  Suppose that in the 435 seats for congress, there were all candidates that according to polls had 99% chance to win, and there was always a second candidate with 1% chance of winning.  I would expect 4or 5 of the underdogs to win.  If they didn’t we were wrong about the 99%.

Or how about entrepreneurs.  Suppose you take 100 idiots.  They each get a totally whacky idea for a new business that has 1% chance of success.  One of them will likely succeed.  Was it because he was smart?  No, there was enough idiots.  We should not overvalue success if we do not know how many other similar people failed, and how likely was success.  What if you have a person who started two businesses that had 1% chance of success.  Was that person a genius?  Or did you just have 10000 idiots.  You have surely heard that giving typewriters to monkeys will eventually (if you have enough monkeys and time) will produce works of Shakespeare.  Does this mean that Shakespeare was a monkey?  No.  There weren’t enough idiots (or monkeys) trying.  Plus the odds of typing random sentences, even if they are grammatically correct, and ending up with something as good as Shakespeare are astronomically low.  Shakespeare was with a very very very high degree of confidence not a monkey.  I can’t say the same for Steve Jobs.  The chance of Jobs having been a monkey are still somewhat smaller than your general successful CEO.  Think of the really important decisions that a CEO has to make, there aren’t that many.  If we simplified the situation and went simply with yes/no decisions on strategic things, there are a few in the lifetime of a company.  Most decisions are irrelevant to the success, and they even out: make a lot of decisions that make a small relative change and you will likely be where you started (again law of large numbers).  But there are a few that can make or break a company.  Given how many companies go bust, clearly there are many many CEOs making the wrong make or break decisions.  So just because you hired a CEO and he made a decision to focus on a certain product and drop everything else, and you made it big.  Does it mean your CEO was a genius?  Flipping a coin then gives you 50% chance of success too.

Same with stock traders.  Look and you will find traders whose last 10 bets were huge successes.  Does it mean that they are geniuses?  Or does it simply there are lots of stock traders that make fairly random decisions and some of them thus must be successful.  If there are enough of them, there will be some whose last 10 bets were good.  If it was 10 yes/no decisions, then you just need 1024 idiots for one of them to get all of them right.  They don’t have to know anything.  Let’s take a different example, suppose you find someone that out of a pool of 100 stocks has for the last 3 years picked the most successful one each year.  This person can be a total and complete idiot as long as there were a million people making those choices.  The chance of that person picking the right stock this year is most likely 1 in 100.  Don’t believe people trying to sell you their surefire way to predict the stockmarket, even if they are not lying about their past success.

OK.  More serious example of law of large numbers: Suppose your country does a military operation that has 99% chance of success and 1% chance of doom to your country.  Suppose your country keeps doing this.  Each time, it seems it is completely safe.  Yet, eventually, your country will lose.  You start enough wars, even with overwhelming odds.  Your luck will run out.  Statistically that’s a sure thing.  If you want your country to be around in 100 years, do not do things that have even an ever so tiny chance of backfiring and dooming that country to failure.  You can probably guess which (rather longish) list of countries that I am thinking of, which with good odds won’t be here in 100, 200, or 500 years.

Let’s end on a positive note:  With essentially 100% probability humankind will eventually destroy itself with nuclear (or other similarly destructive) weapons.  There seem to be conflicts arising every few decades that have a chance of deteriorating into nuclear war.  Small chance, but positive.  Since that seems likely to me to repeat itself over and over, eventually one of those nuclear wars will start.  It can’t quite be 100%, since there is a chance that we will all die in some apocalyptic natural disaster (possibly of our own making) rather than nuclear war.  Since there is also a small chance that everybody on earth gets a heart attack at the same exact time.  Even if we make sure we don’t do anything else dangerous (such as nuclear weapons), civilization will end one day with a massive concurrent heart attack.

Syndicated 2014-11-26 01:26:23 from The Spectre of Math

Numbers again

I like to get fake enraged when people get caught up in very silly misunderstanding of numbers. And often this misunderstanding is used by politicians, extremists, and others to manipulate those people.

The most recent and prominent example is the Israel-Gaza conflict. The story is that Hamas rockets are endangering Israeli lives. OK, yes they do, but you have to always look at the scale. Since 2001 (so in the last 13 years), there have been 40 deaths in Israel from Gaza cross border rocket and mortar fire [1]. 13 of those are Soldiers, and one could make the case that those were military targets, but let’s ignore that and count 40. Of those fatalities, 23 happened during one of the operations designed to remove the rocket threat. One could argue (though I won’t, there won’t be a need) that without those operations, only 17 Israelis would have died.

OK, so 40 people in 13 years. That’s approximately 3 deaths per year. When I recently read an article about toxicity of mushrooms [2], the person being interviewed (the toxicologists) made an argument that mushroom picking in Czech is not dangerous, only 2-3 deaths per year (and vast majority of Czechs will go mushroom picking every year, even we do when we’re over there, it’s a Czech thing). Clearly it is not enough to worry the toxicologists. And Czech is about the same size as Israel in terms of population.

When my granddad (a nuclear physicist) with his team computed the number of new cancers due to Chernobyl in Czech after the disaster, they predicted 200 a year. Trouble was they couldn’t verify it, because 200 a year gets hidden in the noise. In a country of 10 million, if we take 80 year lifespan, 125000 people will die every year of various causes, a large proportion of them to cancer (many of them preventable cancer that the state does not try to prevent since it would mean unpopular policies). So 3 deaths a year is completely lost in the noise. So if Israel would spend the money it spends on fighting Hamas, even if we buy into the propaganda that this will defeat Hamas, if it would spend the money on an anti-smoking campaign, it would likely save far more Israeli lives every year.

Another statistic to look at is car accidents: In Israel approximately 263 people died on the road in one year. So your chances of dying in a car accident are almost 100 times larger. In fact, death by lighting in the US average at 51 per year [4]. Rescaling to Israel (I could not find Israel numbers) you get about 1.4 a year. That’s only slightly less than what Hamas kills in a year. In fact it’s about how many civilians they kill. So your chances as an Israeli civilian of being killed by a rocket or mortar are about the same as being killed by lightning. Not being struck by lightning by the way, because only 1 in 5 (approximately) of those struck die. So your chances of being struck by lightning are bigger, let’s say approx 6-7 people in Israel will get struck by lightning every year.

An argument could be made that most Israelis killed were in Sderot (I count 8), so your chances of being killed there are bigger (and correspondingly, your chances of being killed by a Hamas rocket based on current data if you are in say Tel Aviv are zero). Anyway, 8 in 13 years is about 0.6 a year in Sderot. Rescaling (based on population) the car deaths to estimate the number of deaths per year in Sderot we get approximately 0.8 deaths per year in Sderot. So your chances of dying in a car crash are higher, even if you live in Sderot (your chances of dying from cancer are much much higher).

The politicians supporting Israel’s actions often don’t worry about logical contradictions stemming from the above facts. When Bloomberg visited Israel he lambasted the fact that some airlines stopped flying to Tel-Aviv on rocket fears. He said that he never felt safer there. Well, if he never felt safer, why is Gaza being bombed?

None of this in any way is an apology for Hamas. Hamas is a terrorist organization that aims to kill civilians. But Hamas is almost comically incompetent at doing so. If it weren’t a sad thing, we ought to laugh at Hamas. Anyway, clearly an incompetent murderer is till a murderer if he manages to kill even one person. The question is, what lengths should you go to to apprehend him.

Now the costs. Gaza has 1.8 million people. One should expect about 20-30 thousand natural deaths per year. This year, Israel kills 2000 Gazans. So very approximately about 1 in 10 to 1 in 15 Gazans that dies this year will die at Israel’s hands. Now think what that does to the ability of Hamas, or even far more radical groups to recruit. My grandmother grew up in the post WWII years, so she has not lived through WWII as an adult, yet she harbored deep hatred of all Germans. This was common in Europe. People used to hate each other, and then every once in a while they would attempt to kill each other. If you are on the receiving side of the killing (and only your relatives get killed), you are very likely to have this deep hatred that could very well be used by extremists (think back to the Balkans and especially Bosnia). It takes generations to get rid of it. I don’t resent the Poles or the Ukrainians even though I had Galitian Jewish ancestors that probably had no love for either. But 70 years ago, these three groups managed to literally destroy the whole region by killing each other (well the Germans and Russians helped greatly in the endeavor). There is probably very few people in the region whose family actually comes from there.

The point is, that the cost of the operation, besides the moral outrage of killing thousands of people, is pushing back the date that Israel can live in peace with its neighbors.

Another cost to Israel is the rise of anti-semitism. Just like violent actions by muslim extremists created a wave of anti-muslim sentiment in the West, violent acts by Israel will only strenghten anti-semitic forces. You are giving them perfect recruiting stories. If they had any doubts, they don’t have them now. Maybe as a positive aspect, it will justify Israeli contention that hatred of Israel is based on anti-semitism, since by creating anti-semitic sentiment, yes, more of it will be. The fact that the deputy speaker of parliament in Israel calls for conquest of Gaza are forcefully removing the Gazans into “tent camps” and them out of Israel [5], does not help. Maybe he should have called it “final solution” to the problem. Surely there would be no problem with that phrase.

Another thing about numbers is that Israel depends on America giving it cover (and weapons). Israel does not realize that american opinion is shifting (in part due to its own actions, in part since these things always shift in time). See [6]. Basically once the young of today will be the older folks of tomorrow, Israel won’t be seen the way it is now. It might be that US will also shift towards some other group as being important in american politics. Given the growth in the Latino population, it should be clear that Israel will at some point stop being the priority for many politicians. Given that we will also approach the world oil peak, and that us oil will once again start running out once we’ve fracked out what we could frack out, oil will become again more important. And Israel does not have oil. Israel is religiously important, but recall that Americans are mostly protestant Christians, not Jews, so it’s not clear where that will go (looking at history of that relationship is not very encouraging). A large percentage of Americans thinks the world is only a few thousand years old and the end of times will come within their lifetime and the battle of Armageddon will come, and blah blah blah. Who knows what that does to long term foreign policy.

Remember I am talking about decades not years. One should worry about what happens in 20, 30, 40 years. You know, many of us will still be around then, so even from a very selfish perspective, one should plan 40 years ahead. Let alone if one is not a selfish bastard.

Then finally there is this moral thing about killing others … Let’s not get into morals of the situation, that’s seriously f@#ked up.


Syndicated 2014-08-09 16:43:30 from The Spectre of Math

News …

Interesting reading and comparison of news regarding Ukraine and Gaza. So apparently according to Russian media, people in the west have bad opinion of Russia only because the west has had a long lived fascist hatred of Russians. According to Israeli media, the rest of the world (except US) has a low opinion of Israel only because they are all anti-Semite.  It can’t be because anything we do or say, because we are perfect: even our farts do not smell [citation needed].

Rather interestingly [1], fewer (almost by half) Russians view Israel negatively percentagewise than do Americans.  So Americans are almost twice as anti-Semitic as Russians (this might be news to Jews living in Russia).

If negative opinion of a country was purely based on racism, then it means that racists are able to distinguish between for example North and South Koreans. Also South Koreans are really really racist, and they really really irrationally hate the North Koreans. Essentially as much as Egyptians irrationally hate Israelis. By the way notice that the survey asked if the country (not its people) has a positive influence on the world, but we are assuming I guess (at least in Russian and Israeli media) that nobody can tell the difference between the country and its citizens.

Also the French and the Germans seem to really really love each other. I mean … get a room you two. I mean the French and the Germans have always liked each other. Good thing the survey did not ask about Belgians, because those guys are terrible, we all hate the Belgians.

An interesting piece of information from that study is that Nigerians pretty much have a positive view of the world. Most countries they overwhelmingly love. And even Israel and North Korea manage to get over half of Nigerians to like them. They aren’t too crazy about Iranians and Pakistanis, but it’s not too bad either.

It must be wonderful to live in the world of simple explanations that always seem to indicate that the group you belong to is somehow superior to others, and others simply hate you because you are so good. I think we had a word for that …


Syndicated 2014-07-24 16:29:27 from The Spectre of Math

Putin vs. Godwin

I call Godwin’s law on Russia.  So, by the rules of Usenet, Russia has lost the argument.

I think the security council should adopt Godwin’s law.  Any time you call anyone a Nazi during an argument, you lose your veto power for that issue.

Syndicated 2014-04-16 05:18:22 from The Spectre of Math

344 older entries...


vicious certified others as follows:

  • vicious certified raph as Master
  • vicious certified timj as Master
  • vicious certified andersca as Journeyer
  • vicious certified clahey as Journeyer
  • vicious certified federico as Master
  • vicious certified jacob as Master
  • vicious certified notzed as Journeyer
  • vicious certified yosh as Master
  • vicious certified miguel as Master
  • vicious certified terral as Journeyer
  • vicious certified tigert as Journeyer
  • vicious certified timg as Journeyer
  • vicious certified lolo as Journeyer
  • vicious certified hilaire as Journeyer
  • vicious certified stric as Journeyer
  • vicious certified aaronl as Apprentice
  • vicious certified mjs as Master
  • vicious certified pavlov as Journeyer
  • vicious certified jrb as Master
  • vicious certified jwz as Master
  • vicious certified sopwith as Master
  • vicious certified wichert as Master
  • vicious certified ettore as Master
  • vicious certified Darin as Master
  • vicious certified eskil as Master
  • vicious certified esr as Journeyer
  • vicious certified alan as Master
  • vicious certified uzi as Journeyer
  • vicious certified mathieu as Journeyer
  • vicious certified stephane as Apprentice
  • vicious certified Guillaume as Journeyer
  • vicious certified kelly as Journeyer
  • vicious certified advogato as Master
  • vicious certified lilo as Journeyer
  • vicious certified jlbec as Journeyer
  • vicious certified BrucePerens as Master
  • vicious certified octobrx as Journeyer
  • vicious certified hp as Master
  • vicious certified ramiro as Master
  • vicious certified jsh as Master
  • vicious certified rebecka as Master
  • vicious certified yakk as Journeyer
  • vicious certified flawed as Apprentice
  • vicious certified pepper as Journeyer
  • vicious certified dcm as Master
  • vicious certified Telsa as Journeyer
  • vicious certified Carbamide as Apprentice
  • vicious certified bartd as Apprentice
  • vicious certified martin as Master
  • vicious certified taj as Journeyer
  • vicious certified riel as Master
  • vicious certified gman as Journeyer
  • vicious certified gramps as Master
  • vicious certified Satan as Master

Others have certified vicious as follows:

  • timj certified vicious as Journeyer
  • andersca certified vicious as Master
  • campd certified vicious as Journeyer
  • clahey certified vicious as Journeyer
  • raph certified vicious as Journeyer
  • yosh certified vicious as Journeyer
  • frb certified vicious as Journeyer
  • sjburges certified vicious as Journeyer
  • Slow certified vicious as Master
  • shawn certified vicious as Journeyer
  • ole certified vicious as Master
  • jamesh certified vicious as Master
  • terral certified vicious as Journeyer
  • notzed certified vicious as Journeyer
  • xach certified vicious as Journeyer
  • lolo certified vicious as Journeyer
  • hilaire certified vicious as Master
  • Acapnotic certified vicious as Journeyer
  • kwayne certified vicious as Journeyer
  • jayc certified vicious as Journeyer
  • Iain certified vicious as Journeyer
  • mjs certified vicious as Master
  • harold certified vicious as Journeyer
  • bombadil certified vicious as Journeyer
  • mathieu certified vicious as Journeyer
  • booch certified vicious as Journeyer
  • listen certified vicious as Journeyer
  • aaronl certified vicious as Journeyer
  • duncan certified vicious as Journeyer
  • matias certified vicious as Master
  • jimmac certified vicious as Master
  • jlbec certified vicious as Journeyer
  • broonie certified vicious as Journeyer
  • bagfors certified vicious as Master
  • diskzero certified vicious as Journeyer
  • harvey certified vicious as Master
  • eskil certified vicious as Master
  • dsueiro certified vicious as Master
  • nils certified vicious as Master
  • Satan certified vicious as Apprentice
  • djcb certified vicious as Journeyer
  • Guillaume certified vicious as Master
  • alan certified vicious as Master
  • nelsonrn certified vicious as Master
  • NetHunter certified vicious as Master
  • jsheets certified vicious as Master
  • jae certified vicious as Journeyer
  • synap certified vicious as Master
  • timg certified vicious as Journeyer
  • rtmfd certified vicious as Master
  • whatever certified vicious as Master
  • ettore certified vicious as Master
  • pepper certified vicious as Master
  • nixnut certified vicious as Master
  • tetron certified vicious as Journeyer
  • kimusan certified vicious as Master
  • kanikus certified vicious as Master
  • mfleming certified vicious as Master
  • flawed certified vicious as Master
  • jsh certified vicious as Master
  • glenn certified vicious as Master
  • jbowman certified vicious as Master
  • inri certified vicious as Journeyer
  • ErikLevy certified vicious as Master
  • timur certified vicious as Master
  • menthos certified vicious as Master
  • lerdsuwa certified vicious as Master
  • hadess certified vicious as Master
  • gman certified vicious as Master
  • rossigee certified vicious as Master
  • viper certified vicious as Journeyer
  • bneely certified vicious as Master
  • taj certified vicious as Master
  • MikeGTN certified vicious as Master
  • jfleck certified vicious as Master
  • cinamod certified vicious as Master
  • gregf certified vicious as Master
  • chrisime certified vicious as Master
  • gleblanc certified vicious as Master
  • Wilddev certified vicious as Master
  • mikeszcz certified vicious as Journeyer
  • rebecka certified vicious as Master
  • Liedra certified vicious as Master
  • monk certified vicious as Master
  • auspex certified vicious as Journeyer
  • jono certified vicious as Master
  • skeezix certified vicious as Master
  • ricardo certified vicious as Master
  • fxn certified vicious as Master
  • sulaiman certified vicious as Master
  • sdodji certified vicious as Master
  • cwinters certified vicious as Master
  • jao certified vicious as Master
  • typezero certified vicious as Master
  • Hallski certified vicious as Master
  • robster certified vicious as Master
  • braden certified vicious as Master
  • riggwelter certified vicious as Master
  • tcurtis certified vicious as Master
  • bratsche certified vicious as Master
  • Rockwalrus certified vicious as Master
  • Uraeus certified vicious as Master
  • mitr certified vicious as Master
  • lucasr certified vicious as Master
  • murajov certified vicious as Master
  • badvogato certified vicious as Master
  • dangermaus certified vicious as Master

[ Certification disabled because you're not logged in. ]

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!

Share this page