It's hard to avoid the conclusion that Amazon's review model is broken, but it's not obvious how to fix it. When search ranking is tied to reviews, companies have a strong incentive to do whatever it takes to obtain positive reviews. What we're left with for now is having to laboriously click through a number of products to see whether their rankings come from thoughtful and detailed reviews or are just a mass of 5 star one liners.

Date: 2016-07-10 02:20 am (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
The 'review the reviews' process is designed to combat this problem, so that people who are interested in the product can read the reviews that other customers have indicated were helpful to them. It's not a complete solution (there likely is no complete solution), but at least it helps.

Buy online in Pakistan