Authenticated variables are the other part of the puzzle. If a variable requires authentication, the operating system's attempt to write it will fail unless the new data is appropriately signed. The key databases (white and blacklists) are examples of authenticated variables. The signing actually takes place in userspace, and the handoff between the kernel and firmware is identical for both this case and the unauthenticated case. The only problem in Linux's support here is that our EFI variable support was written to a pre-1.0 version of the EFI specification which stated that variables had a maximum size of 1024 bytes, and this limitation ended up exposed to userspace. So all we really need to do there is add a new interface to let arbitrary sized variables be written.

From: (Anonymous)
(says it all)
From: (Anonymous)
Any possibility of creating a web of trust system for this?
From: (Anonymous)
Didn't the videos from the Microsoft conference say that they would use a certificate CA (or more than one probably) just like with SSL and current code signing for drivers and software ?
From: (Anonymous)
Do they intend for a manufacturer of, let's say a NIC and it's driver to talk to have their driver signed by Microsoft or by the OEM ?
From: (Anonymous)
I will be suprised if Microsoft does not offer a way to digitally sign drivers for secure boot. They already have the WHQL program.

And seeing as Microsoft keys are the only ones guaranteed to be present on all systems, third parties will likely prefer this over any program set up by individual or coalition of OEMs.
From: (Anonymous)
...and of course, the mere existence of such a counter-signed key makes that key just as powerful, and valuable, as the root keys (if a piece of malware was somehow signed by that new key, it would just have to carry the signed key-update-request around with it).

If you want the issuance of countersigned keys to be viable in practice, there needs to be provision in the spec for the signed key update request to be limited in scope - say to a particular motherboard serial number and/or date range.

why is this needed?