View Full Version : Anyone alive here still ?

KeLLy
November 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Hey guys.....

it's so quiet in here.... Hybrenating?

Well, i found a really nice, always dry with excellent tiles, spot to practice slalom. It is in the middle of the city tho and all tourists pass there to, so that should give extra motivation to improve ^^ . (coz i'm really a shy woman).

So i had a go with cones (plastic picknick cups), 50 cm... wtf that's no where near enough space... 80 cm .... nope, still not enough.
so i tried 120 cm - and tried fish, cross and snake, and fish backwards - It LOOKS so much easier then it is! But i had fun :) - had to stop coz my right foot started aching (i broke something in my ankle once).

So thx all for your advise (on equipment mainly). If you have some more for a noobie like me, keep it comming plz .

mentally dull
November 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM
LOL - practice in front of tourists, excellent... most of us hide away somewhere!
the approach is correct - start with long spacing to get the idea, and then shorten it. why not go from 120 to 100 before you git 80? and yes, 50 is very very short, I always feel that my skates are soooo clunky!
and build up your efforts slowly - slalom (and freestyle generally) is quite hard on the ankles and feet, so give them time to adjust. And make sure you don't pronate or supinate constantly, it can be tempting, but you'll get the best pressure spots, like, ever :D

KeLLy
November 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
"pronate or supinate" ... you mean leaning on the inside or outside of the wheels?

And you shouldn't hide... if you want the sport to be known more you gotta go out there!

of you go the the townssquare !

edit :http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=concertgebouwbrugge2ym6.jpg
right in front of the building (sheltred from rain), is my spot :)

mentally dull
November 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM
oh, we DO go out and show the things we can do ... it's just that most people prefer to get past the 'I'm looking hopeless' stage with as few witnesses as they can get away with

and yes, I'm talking about braking the 'line' between your shin and your wheels - freestyle requires a good amount of this, a it is tempting to over-do it. pronate is to the inside, supinate is, ah, I'm sure you can guess :D

KeLLy
November 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM
bah, i never look hopeless :D

Nah, I just haven't found a good spot with no witnesess. But I don't care for what tourists think... . Anyone who laughs at me, i'll just say i just got started and invite them to try it themselves / coz it is a lot harder then it looks.

But i need to get a lot better before spring is here. That spot will be occupied by people who are much better then me, and i don't wanna make a fool outofmyself then.

For some reason (probly rain), skating seems to be an "only summer thing".

fablemaker2
November 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I thought pronation was the way the sole of your foot flattens out when you step on it. Usually you talk about pronation when you are getting fitted for sole inserts.

Cowry
November 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I guess you could call it 'flatten out', but when you pronate your ankle will be more to the inside of your foot, giving more pressure to the inside than to the outside. So when you get fitted for sole inserters, they will take into account if you're someone who pronates or supinates, to correct this as much as possible. When you're a (serious) runner, for example, you should get your feet messured before you buy your runningshoes. Some shoes are more suited for pronating people, some are more suited for supinating people. Ofcourse there are also plenty of 'neutral' shoes; wich you should buy if you don't know whether your one or the other and don't want to get it messured either.

Vinz
November 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM
Yep still alive :D

Just spending some time outside, around the cones :rolleyes:
PS : some competitions are taking place in Lille (or Rijsel), not that far to see other skaters & give a try ...

If you need more information, ask me at vincent_vuvankha@hotmail.com

KeLLy
November 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Lille is pretty close, yep.
bout 1,40h on train.

Been there last weekend for the wine fair.
Enjoyed some very good Bourgondy wines :) .