PDA

View Full Version : Artistic quad wheels

maherwoman
October 13th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hey guys...yet another question this fine afternoon.

I want to get into artistic quad skating, and was considering getting Bones Artistic wheels to start off with, once my fitness training is complete (right now I have Sure Grip Fame Artistic wheels), which is still a couple months away, but I like to be a woman with a plan, so I'm figuring all this stuff out now. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

I will get an even better set of wheels (considering Bones Elite Artistic) once I'm really going in training, and then just hang onto the Bones Artistics for a backup pair of wheels.

Thanks for your thoughts! :D

rwsz
October 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM

I want to get into artistic quad skating, and was considering getting Bones Artistic wheels to start off with, once my fitness training is complete (right now I have Sure Grip Fame Artistic wheels), which is still a couple months away, but I like to be a woman with a plan, so I'm figuring all this stuff out now. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

I will get an even better set of wheels (considering Bones Elite Artistic) once I'm really going in training, and then just hang onto the Bones Artistics for a backup pair of wheels.

those will work,,,good choice, enjoy them. the size matters also whether u use 57 mm or 63 mm depending on which type of art skating u do.

Rick

maherwoman
October 14th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Okay, good. Thanks, Rick! :)

Spins
October 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.newskates.com/index.asp?incatuid=121&fcmd=cat&inmenu=menu

1: What's better? Quad Or Inline?

This all depends upon you preference. Neither Inline nor Quad skates a better than each other. It is even difficult to Say which one is easier to learn. It all depends on what the Skater likes!

2: What's the difference between Indoor and Outdoor skates?

The only real difference is the wheels, which are softer for Outdoor skates. The softer wheels outdoors will help you grip better to outside terrains.

3: What size should I get?

Please click on the Skate Size link.

Skate Sizes

4: How many wheels do I get?

For roller skates, quad wheels, unless otherwise noted, are sold as a set of 8 wheels. For inline skates, inline wheels, are sold by the wheel.

5: Does wheel size affect speed?

Yes, it does. Generally, the larger the wheel is, the more roll you will get for the least amount of effort. So, you will be able to cover more surface area with the larger wheel with less effort and you will go faster and have a smoother ride.

6: What does ABEC mean?

ABEC RATINGS A lot of our customers are confused about what an ABEC rating means. The following info is from an American bearing company that manufactures ABEC rated bearings and non-ABEC rated bearings.

What is ABEC?

ABEC stands for Annular Bearing Engineers' Committee. It is NOT a brand of bearing. This committee works to determine the standards for bearings for the Anti-Friction Bearing Manufacturers Association (AFBMA).

The ABEC scale classifies different accuracy and tolerance ranges for bearings. There are five ratings in the ABEC scale.
ABEC 1 ABEC 3 ABEC 5 ABEC 7 ABEC 9
The ABEC rating of a bearing is determined by the following (for a 608 size bearing):

How close the bore is to 8mm in microns
How close the outer diameter is to 22 in microns
How close the width is to 7mm in microns
The rotating accuracy in microns
Does ABEC affect the speed of your skates?

No. Not unless you are skating at 330 mph. That's based on a 608 bearing limiting speed of 32,000 rpm. Only in extremely high speed applications like ultra high speed motors and precision measuring instruments can bearings above ABEC 1 affect performance. Regardless of how fast you plan to go, speed is affected first and foremost by the choice of lubricant.

If we're going to talk about tolerances, the fit of your wheels and axles have a much greater effect on performance than ABEC rating.

Wheels and axles for inline skates have extremely loose fits that allow you to press the bearings into the wheel by hand. This masks the benefits of a higher precision bearing by allowing it to slip on the axle or in the wheel. Slippage between the mating parts results in energy loss. Lost energy is lost speed.

7: What does 7mm and 8mm mean?

Those refer to the inner diameter of the bearing and the size of the axle it's going on. Most skates use 8mm (or large) axles so you will need standard 608 size 8mm bearings to go on them.

8: What does the hardness number mean?

The Hardness (or Durometer) of a wheel is measured on a scale of a number and then an A.
For example: 96A.
That's the standard hardness for a quad speed skate wheel.
The higher the number, the harder the wheel. The lower the number, the softer the wheel.
For outdoor use, you will want a wheel that is below 90A.
For indoor use you will want a wheel from 90A up to 103A.

9: Should I get a high top or low top boot?

It's up to you! Neither one is "better" than the other.
High top boots generally offer more ankle support, so if you have weak ankles that may be right for you.
Low top boots are more popular and allow you to move your ankle more freely and it will also not be as hot on your foot.
The low top boots are generally considered speed boots.

10: What is the difference between Double Action and Single Action?

A Double Action Plate has two cushions the kingpin is usually at a 10 degree angle.
It is used for all types of skating.

A Single Action Plate has one cushion and the kingpin is set at a 45 degree angle.
This is made only in metal plates and is much heavier than the newer nylon plates.
They are only used for quad speed skating.

11: Is a metal plate better than nylon?

This depends on what the skater prefers, but generally Nylon skates Are slightly better. Most nylon and metal plates have double action trucks, Nylon is slightly lighter. Most of the weight in a pair of skate is in the wheels, bearings and trucks. Nylon over metal plates will only have a slight difference in the weight of the skates. Choose what is best for you.

Spins
October 14th, 2006, 12:02 PM
"Nylon skates Are slightly better."

Not to mention they are cheaper to manufacture and thereby cost less to sell. (hee, hee).

Gary
o-o

maherwoman
October 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Wow, Gary, lots of data...thanks! Read it all! :)

Let me ask you this: what hardness of wheel is recommended for artistic skating? Right now, I have Sure Grip Fame Artistic wheels (which are a 96A in hardness), and next I think I'm going to get Bones Artistic wheels (which come in either 97A, 98A, or 101A). Is that still a good hardness for artistic skating? I have in my mind from somewhere that artistic skating wheels need to be softer...are those too hard? Would I need to get the 97A rating?

Thanks! :)

Spins
October 15th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Wow, Gary, lots of data...thanks! Read it all! :)

Let me ask you this: what hardness of wheel is recommended for artistic skating? Right now, I have Sure Grip Fame Artistic wheels (which are a 96A in hardness), and next I think I'm going to get Bones Artistic wheels (which come in either 97A, 98A, or 101A). Is that still a good hardness for artistic skating? I have in my mind from somewhere that artistic skating wheels need to be softer...are those too hard? Would I need to get the 97A rating?

Rosie,

Based on the information you've voluntarily shared with us, without reservation, I'm surprised the 96As haven't worn some flat spots. You should probably be on a 101A to reduce this possibility. Hope that didn't sound to harsh but is only my anticipated outcome for your wheel actions.

Back when I skated 98s and was 145 lbs. those wore out pretty quick with only the stops I was doing.

Kind regards,

Gary
o-o

Bill
October 15th, 2006, 05:33 AM
WOW!
There is so much there that I don't agree with, or is just not right. I wouldn't use that as a reference.

In regards to Wheels. Wheel hardness depends on many factors including the floor type, type of skating you are doing and what you like.

Wheel hardness is only one characteristic of a wheel. For example, I had some Hyper Revo's that were soft, but they were a lot better wearing then wheels that were much harder. Revo's were also a slow wheel. Roll Line Giotto's are a hard wheel that rolls well. But according to the skaters that have used them, Giotto's wear fast and flat easily.

What wheels should you get? I doubt you will be happy with 101A Artistic Bones. Most people find they lack grip. The 101A Bones ELITES would be a good choice when you are ready to upgrade you Fame wheels. On a coated wood floor, Elites have a good mix of grip, rool, and wear. Ask around where you skate (Glendale?) If 101A bones Elites are a good wheel for that rink you should see many skaters using them.

Bill

maherwoman
October 15th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Based on the information you've voluntarily shared with us, without reservation, I'm surprised the 96As haven't worn some flat spots. You should probably be on a 101A to reduce this possibility. Hope that didn't sound to harsh but is only my anticipated outcome for your wheel actions.

Just out of curiousity, do you mean the weight I've got left to lose, or how I skate? I'm asking because if I'm doing something wrong, technique-wise, I'd like to know. :)

maherwoman
October 15th, 2006, 06:03 AM
WOW!
There is so much there that I don't agree with, or is just not right. I wouldn't use that as a reference.

In regards to Wheels. Wheel hardness depends on many factors including the floor type, type of skating you are doing and what you like.

Wheel hardness is only one characteristic of a wheel. For example, I had some Hyper Revo's that were soft, but they were a lot better wearing then wheels that were much harder. Revo's were also a slow wheel. Roll Line Giotto's are a hard wheel that rolls well. But according to the skaters that have used them, Giotto's wear fast and flat easily.

What wheels should you get? I doubt you will be happy with 101A Artistic Bones. Most people find they lack grip. The 101A Bones ELITES would be a good choice when you are ready to upgrade you Fame wheels. On a coated wood floor, Elites have a good mix of grip, rool, and wear. Ask around where you skate (Glendale?) If 101A bones Elites are a good wheel for that rink you should see many skaters using them.

Bill

Yes, I skate in Glendale...good memory! :)

I did ask originally, when Sparky was still building my skates (more waiting for the parts at the time), and was told that people thought the Elites were good, but felt that the regular Bones Artistic were the same quality for less. I don't know if it's their floor, or just a preference. I feel odd asking other skaters, but would this be something they would expect from someone they've been seeing recently for the first time in the rink? Would they mind my asking? I just don't wanna bother anyone that is there just to skate and be left alone, ya know?

As for my above mention about Elites vs Artistics...does that sound right to you?

Bill
October 15th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Yes, I skate in Glendale...good memory! :)

I did ask originally, when Sparky was still building my skates (more waiting for the parts at the time), and was told that people thought the Elites were good, but felt that the regular Bones Artistic were the same quality for less. I don't know if it's their floor, or just a preference. I feel odd asking other skaters, but would this be something they would expect from someone they've been seeing recently for the first time in the rink? Would they mind my asking? I just don't wanna bother anyone that is there just to skate and be left alone, ya know?

As for my above mention about Elites vs Artistics...does that sound right to you?

I don't ask... I just look to see what they skate on :)

Artistic Bones vs Elites... Sparky is correct 98a Artistic Bones behave similar to 101a Elites. For me the big difference is how they wear. When I skate hard the Artistic bones will last a few months, I think I wore a set out in 3 months. The Elites last much longer and I can get at least a year out of a set, often much more. I also like the way the Elites feel and roll, so for me it's a no brainer.

My buddy and his wife skate on Bones Artistic 98a . His wife's wheels are many years old, and still look good. His wheels are also older but show more wear. For them the Bones Artistic wheels seem to be a good match.

I'd suggest you stick with the Fame's for a while. They are a good all around wheel and probablly a good match for you. They have a lot of grip and they roll ok. When you are ready for a change you'll also have a better idea of what size wheel you'll need. Also, I can't tell how you are skating over the web, but the Elites are be a bit "loose" and fast for many skaters just starting out.

It sounds like you have a nice set up and are ready to start focusing more on the skating part of the picture.

Glendale's a rink I've often wanted to skate at, I'll have to drop on by for a visit soon!
Have a good skate!
Bill

maherwoman
October 15th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks so much for the information, Bill, and for letting me know I've got a good setup.

I'm not sure what I'll end up with when I'm ready for a change...things with my Fame's are going really well so far, no probs at all, but when I'm ready, I'll see what Sparky thinks and probably go with that. :)

I really appreciate your advice! :) We'll see how things work out! I might even wind up having another set in between the Fame's and the Artistic's...hehe!

Sparky's got me on a good gradient...he does right by me and mine.

It's exciting seeing myself getting into good shape again. I'm losing a lot of weight, fast, and my legs are bulking up SO MUCH! It's nice to have muscular legs again. :)

BTW...my husband took a couple pics of my legs tonight. We'll will probably develop the film tomorrow onto CD, and then come home and post them. :)

rwsz
October 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks so much for the information, Bill, and for letting me know I've got a good setup.

I'm not sure what I'll end up with when I'm ready for a change...things with my Fame's are going really well so far, no probs at all, but when I'm ready, I'll see what Sparky thinks and probably go with that. :)

I really appreciate your advice! :) We'll see how things work out! I might even wind up having another set in between the Fame's and the Artistic's...hehe!

Sparky's got me on a good gradient...he does right by me and mine.

It's exciting seeing myself getting into good shape again. I'm losing a lot of weight, fast, and my legs are bulking up SO MUCH! It's nice to have muscular legs again. :)

BTW...my husband took a couple pics of my legs tonight. We'll will probably develop the film tomorrow onto CD, and then come home and post them. :)

rosie bill has giving you very good information on the wheels, i have to agree with him. every wheel is different for every floor and every skater. the one thing nobody mentioned was the color of the wheel also affects how it grips to the floor. the darker colors have more pigments added in them and are harder because of this. the while bones elites are most used but the whiskey color ( kind of clear) grip better as they have no pigments added that change the compostion of the wheel a bit. my son likes gripping wheels that spin also and has used the whiskeys for the past 5 years, he use to use the white ones.

Rick

Spins
October 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM
When I was in a skate club there was a fella much larger than myself. He stated that the harder wheels were the only way he could skate without destroying any that were softer.

It may be much easier to change wheels than the composition of the skating floor. Something to think about.

Gary
o-o

maherwoman
October 15th, 2006, 07:58 PM
rosie bill has giving you very good information on the wheels, i have to agree with him. every wheel is different for every floor and every skater. the one thing nobody mentioned was the color of the wheel also affects how it grips to the floor. the darker colors have more pigments added in them and are harder because of this. the while bones elites are most used but the whiskey color ( kind of clear) grip better as they have no pigments added that change the compostion of the wheel a bit. my son likes gripping wheels that spin also and has used the whiskeys for the past 5 years, he use to use the white ones.

Rick

That's really interesting...I hadn't thought about that!

It's funny...I was eyeing the whiskey color, as I thought it would be an interesting addition to the overall look of my skates. I might try those out next.

Thank you very much! :)

maherwoman
October 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM
When I was in a skate club there was a fella much larger than myself. He stated that the harder wheels were the only way he could skate without destroying any that were softer.

It may be much easier to change wheels than the composition of the skating floor. Something to think about.

Gary
o-o

Hmm...okay. Well, I haven't had any problem whatsoever with my wheels thus far, and I've had them about a month. I don't do T-stops, only stop with my stopper (and have figured out how to do it correctly), so that eliminates that problem.

I'm not in the least much larger than anyone else at the rink. Most of my weight is in the torso area (as I've said, my legs have kept their tone quite well over the years), and I can see it diminishing quite rapidly (does skating work the abs and such as well?), so I'm not too worried about it. I'm at least 10lbs lighter than when I began, if not 20lbs lighter. I can see the difference all over, which is nice. Even in my face. :)

I've decided to stop weighing myself, though, because I'm getting just the perfect fat-losing to muscle-gaining ratio that the dang needle hasn't moved an inch since I started almost two months ago. I'm going to start measuring my waist and such instead, as that will be the true indicator. I'm having a very hard time keeping up my shorts, which were actually a tad too small when I started skating, so I know there's been quite a change.

Anyway, all-in-all, I'm not worried about it. I'll be changing wheels within the month anyway. :)

Thanks for your concern, though! :)

simon woodman
October 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Hi there i am a artistic skater in the uk and the best wheels that i have ever used are the roll-line grease wheels and i would recommend these wheels to everyone who would like new wheels

Spins
October 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Simon,

Aren't those grease wheels a little slow until they warm up a bit? Sounds like a heavy lubricant.

Gary
o-o

rwsz
October 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Simon,

Aren't those grease wheels a little slow until they warm up a bit? Sounds like a heavy lubricant.

Gary
o-o

Gary thats funny but now that u mention it, the wheel is a bit gripper and is made to be a dance wheel which wasnt mentioned. wouldnt be great for singles but u could do it on any wheel if u liked it and wanted to

Rick

freestyle girl
October 23rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
I have recently gone back to roller skating and my old wheels are slipping all over the place. I am skating on a cement floor, with a blue coating. I would like to be able to do dance and some free style, some spins, not that interested in jumps. What can you suggest? The rink is not knowledge about. In fact I think I am the only artistic skater there. They selld Bones but can't really help me with which one or hardness or size. My old wheels are smaller then the smallest wheels out there now. thanks for any help.

Bill
October 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hi freestyle girl,

Welcome to Kathies Forum!
You might want to start this question as a new thread so it would be easier to find later.

About the wheels, what wheels are you using now?
(They sound like they could be "All American Dreams" I tried them when I was starting out, and they didn't stay on my skates very long.)

Bill

masters_sk8tr
October 24th, 2006, 03:00 PM
10: What is the difference between Double Action and Single Action?

A Double Action Plate has two cushions the kingpin is usually at a 10 degree angle. It is used for all types of skating. A Single Action Plate has one cushion and the kingpin is set at a 45 degree angle. This is made only in metal plates and is much heavier than the newer nylon plates. They are only used for quad speed skating.

A slight correction if I'm reading this right. The Laser Elite plate is nylon, and has 45 degree trucks. They are primarily for jam skating rather than speed. The Laser Hardnose is another nylon plate with 45 degree trucks. Although it's advertised as a speed plate, I'm not sure how many people use them for speed as opposed to jam skating. 45 degree trucks are inherently unstable and can be "squirrely" at high speed.

freestyle girl
October 24th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I have randalli wheels on my skates now which were great for the wood floor I used back then. But they are all over the place now. Need advice on what to get for the cement floor I am on now.

rwsz
October 25th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I have randalli wheels on my skates now which were great for the wood floor I used back then. But they are all over the place now. Need advice on what to get for the cement floor I am on now.

look to see what the other art skaters have in your club and what discipline they are doing, singles, dance, figures and go from there, if it works for them its probably good on that floor.

Rick

simon woodman
October 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Simon,

Gary
o-o

the grease wheels are quite good for speed, when you do a warm up for training or competition they will be ready for good use. mainly skate edges around the rink to get the wheels going do this for about 2 minutes. i find the wheels great because as soon as i am on the floor and do a quick 2 minute warm up the wheels are ready to go and so then they really grip the floor so that i can get the best from my edges.:cool:

diagetus
October 27th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Hello maherwoman. I just wanted to parrot what everyone else has been saying. If you have a hard wheel, it should be on a grippy floor. Soft wheel-slick floor. In the US there are wooden floors with grip and wooden floors that are just naked wood. Many times the non-coated wooden floors are slick as ice. It's very deceiving to those who have always skated on coated wooden floors because they think they will get similar grip on all wooden floors. I've been told that they used to throw sand on the floor to facilitate even more slide! Some skaters want those extremes and anything goes. If you skate on really hard/slick wheels on a very slick floor, you are putting your life in jeopardy.:eek: Just beware.

The reason you have to be mindful of the wheel type and the floor is that you don't want to lose control of your skate during the manuever. You need a little slide for spins and grip for edge work, jumps. Really hard wheels can even be counterproductive for spins to a certain extent. Some skaters use a combo setup on their skates. I haven't learned much about the method, but it makes sense. I think the setup is grip on the fronts and slide on the backs (but then what do you do on a heel camel?!).

As others have mentioned, weight and skating style have an impact. Heavier people tend to wear down wheels and boots faster than lighter people. Some people skate with a heavy style and others skate light style. The style isn't necessarily connected with your weight. You especially see this when you watch people jump. Heavy people become mysteriously light in take off and lighter people can land with giant weight. It's akin to watching a curve ball that strangely manages to reach the strike zone while initially appearing off course. I'm sure it all has to do with technique; the degree to which people use their skates in proportion to the rest of their body. Some people just punish their skates a lot more than others. I'm about 140 lbs. I skate light and I've never sanded a flat into a wheel. I'll do 10 foot hockey stops (amongst other outlandish stops) and there's still no wheel damage. I skate on Sure Grip 98a Spirit wheels. They were recommended by another skater who liked the roll on them. It took some adjustment because I'm used to skating on 96/97a , but I've come to love these wheels. They seem to have just the right amount of slide and grip for a variety of floors. The price isn't bad either.

Just a suggestion for the next time you experiment.

1.flatwheel
October 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Ok This is how I use to set up my wheels
:) = soft wheel
:p = hard wheel

Right foot
Forward inside wheel hard sliding
Rear inside wheel soft for griping
Forward outside wheel soft for griping
Rear outside wheel hard for sliding
like this
right foot

:p :)

:) :p

great for outer back sit or camel spins the forward outside wheel is a soft wheel for gripping and centering the spin while the outside back wheel is great for sliding..

and edge jumps like the loop jump and toe wally

Left foot
outside forward is a hard wheel for sliding
ouside back is soft for griping
inside forward is soft for griping
inside back is hard for sliding

left foot

good for inside back sitspin the inside wheel will grip and center the spin while the back wheel will slide nicely

and outside forward camel the back outside wheel is soft and will grip and center the spin while the outside forward wheel is hard will slide nicely
I just found that this helps with jumps and spins
give it a try and let me know what you think:D

Bill
October 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Flatwheel,
Which brand, type, and size wheel do you use? and what type of floor?
Just curious...
Bill

Ok This is how I use to set up my wheels
:) = soft wheel
:p = hard wheel

Right foot
Forward inside wheel hard sliding
Rear inside wheel soft for griping
Forward outside wheel soft for griping
Rear outside wheel hard for sliding
like this
right foot

great for outer back sit or camel spins the forward outside wheel is a soft wheel for gripping and centering the spin while the outside back wheel is great for sliding..

and edge jumps like the loop jump and toe wally

Left foot
outside forward is a hard wheel for sliding
ouside back is soft for griping
inside forward is soft for griping
inside back is hard for sliding

left foot

good for inside back sitspin the inside wheel will grip and center the spin while the back wheel will slide nicely

and outside forward camel the back outside wheel is soft and will grip and center the spin while the outside forward wheel is hard will slide nicely
I just found that this helps with jumps and spins
give it a try and let me know what you think:D

1.flatwheel
October 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I had to go and dig into my closet and way in the back I found some old wheels.
At the begining I just used the Dreams was great for toe jumps but not for edge jumps and great for spining. If you were off center you knew it.
Then after compeating at a national level everyone had bones. So I jumped on that train too.. I switched wheels and found them too sticky for the floors i was skating on and couldnt spin. My spins started looking like mini circles. traveling camels were all over the floor and couldnt get the front wheel to slide.. Because there so soft I wore them down fast..
I was at home and feeling frustrated and thought my life was comming to a end.. Life seems so hard as teenager.. boo hoo;)
So I switched back and forth from Bones to Dreams ... Then one day like a big wheel dropping from the heavens. I thought why not give it a try.. so I left two Dreams in the front on my skates and the Bones on the back.
That didnt work. Dreams on the back..umm no that too didnt work.
Well then I tried the one soft on hard in the front and the same with the back... It took me about a moth to figure it out..
other skaters would laugh at me..:mad:
After i figured it out all was well I had the stickiness I needed but also had the slide I needed too..:D
Went to regionals and did my thing.. won mind you...:cool: a few of the other skaters came up to me and asked me what I did and i told them..
some scoffed but low and behold the following yr. most of them had the same set up I had..
Thats my only claim to fame...
I used the " All American Dream " for my hard wheel its slippery
the I had the bones when thay first came out as my soft wheel..
This worked well for all floor types cement to hard wood floors, coated floors
Wheelies skating rinks were cement and coated. Thats what I trained on.
The floor I trained on just before regionals was a maple wood floor.
The compition was on cement..
The traveling camel was good on all floors and I could center the spin and let the front wheel slide around. I felt that my spins were faster because of this. The double loop felt grippy with just enough give the front outside wheel was soft and gave me a edge and i could feel the floor and know that I would not slide
Axel was secure because I had a soft wheel on my left out side back .
I was able to learn the jumps faster knowing that there was gripping and just enough slide to cheat some jumps because that hard wheel on the outside back gave me some slip..when landing. This saved on wheels and I had two sets every where I went :)

I did this also with my figure wheels as well...
You have to be able to change your wheels at a moments notice, you never know what figure you would draw..

Now I use the Roll Lines panthers as my soft wheel and was lucky to have found some all american dreams...

Try it and let me know what you think:)

rwsz
October 28th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I had to go and dig into my closet and way in the back I found some old wheels.
At the begining I just used the Dreams was great for toe jumps but not for edge jumps and great for spining. If you were off center you knew it.
Then after compeating at a national level everyone had bones. So I jumped on that train too.. I switched wheels and found them too sticky for the floors i was skating on and couldnt spin. My spins started looking like mini circles. traveling camels were all over the floor and couldnt get the front wheel to slide.. Because there so soft I wore them down fast..
I was at home and feeling frustrated and thought my life was comming to a end.. Life seems so hard as teenager.. boo hoo;)
So I switched back and forth from Bones to Dreams ... Then one day like a big wheel dropping from the heavens. I thought why not give it a try.. so I left two Dreams in the front on my skates and the Bones on the back.
That didnt work. Dreams on the back..umm no that too didnt work.
Well then I tried the one soft on hard in the front and the same with the back... It took me about a moth to figure it out..
other skaters would laugh at me..:mad:
After i figured it out all was well I had the stickiness I needed but also had the slide I needed too..:D
Went to regionals and did my thing.. won mind you...:cool: a few of the other skaters came up to me and asked me what I did and i told them..
some scoffed but low and behold the following yr. most of them had the same set up I had..
Thats my only claim to fame...
I used the " All American Dream " for my hard wheel its slippery
the I had the bones when thay first came out as my soft wheel..
This worked well for all floor types cement to hard wood floors, coated floors
Wheelies skating rinks were cement and coated. Thats what I trained on.
The floor I trained on just before regionals was a maple wood floor.
The compition was on cement..
The traveling camel was good on all floors and I could center the spin and let the front wheel slide around. I felt that my spins were faster because of this. The double loop felt grippy with just enough give the front outside wheel was soft and gave me a edge and i could feel the floor and know that I would not slide
Axel was secure because I had a soft wheel on my left out side back .
I was able to learn the jumps faster knowing that there was gripping and just enough slide to cheat some jumps because that hard wheel on the outside back gave me some slip..when landing. This saved on wheels and I had two sets every where I went :)

I did this also with my figure wheels as well...
You have to be able to change your wheels at a moments notice, you never know what figure you would draw..

Now I use the Roll Lines panthers as my soft wheel and was lucky to have found some all american dreams...

Try it and let me know what you think:)

thats great u dont see the different wheels anymore like you use too,,,,maybe u can just use the mustangs (rolline) and that would work for you. if not the white bones elites could be good, but might slip on cement. but if the mixing of wheels work, do it. what division do you skate?

Rick

1.flatwheel
October 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM
This was in the 80's was a junior when I quit. Life happens.
I got back into skating about 10 yrs ago for fitness and something to do. I just skated for fun till I tore my groin... doing traveling camel. I haven't skated in 3 yrs. I just bought the Roll line Energy Plates just before all this happened. Was landing a double loop had the double Lutz back too. doing the axel,half loop ,double sow and the heal camel. Now I just watch..:( all this in my late 30's but I've been told that I look younger ha ha...:D

rwsz
October 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
This was in the 80's was a junior when I quit. Life happens.
I got back into skating about 10 yrs ago for fitness and something to do. I just skated for fun till I tore my groin... doing traveling camel. I haven't skated in 3 yrs. I just bought the Roll line Energy Plates just before all this happened. Was landing a double loop had the double Lutz back too. doing the axel,half loop ,double sow and the heal camel. Now I just watch..:( all this in my late 30's but I've been told that I look younger ha ha...:D

good for you, junior cool, male or female division??? sounds like u were doing well till u tore the groin muscle, dont forget after a certain age, stretching is more important then ever before to loosen up. are you going to skate competively again???? singles is my favorite of all the disciplines of art.

that energy is a nice plate but quite costly, my son skates on one for the past 5 years. has one of the originals but with upgrades to the kingpins and cushions and cups. enjoy it, has nice action.

Rick

1.flatwheel
December 10th, 2006, 07:46 PM
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FSE_17.jpg
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FSE_09.jpg
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FJ_35.jpg
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FSE_24.jpg

Check out how these skaters have there wheels set up this should give you an idea.. how to set up ur wheels.
Looking at some of the photos you can see that some of the skaters have 2 different sets of wheels..
It looks like they have one for griping and one for sliding..
umm what kind of wheels is they using?

rwsz
December 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FSE_17.jpg
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FSE_09.jpg
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FJ_35.jpg
http://www.murcia2006.com/img/pix/FSE_24.jpg

Check out how these skaters have there wheels set up this should give you an idea.. how to set up ur wheels.
Looking at some of the photos you can see that some of the skaters have 2 different sets of wheels..
It looks like they have one for griping and one for sliding..
umm what kind of wheels is they using?

hard to tell which model but most of the wheels looked like the rollines, could be some giottos there too. probably mixed them because of the marble floor they were skating on. u dont see it much here in the usa anymore because most of the floors are wood or have a good coating on them.

Rick