View Full Version : Which Skates for a Beginner

rup3t
March 8th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I am about to take the plunge back in to aggressive skating, and I am about to buy some new skates. I have done a lot of research, and these are the options I have come up with.

Any input would be amazing.

USD Carbon 2 (http://www.aggressivemall.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=carbon+II&Search.x=0&Search.y=0) - These look amazing, and I really like the soft/hard boot hybrid. I am just unsure if they will offer enough support for some one who weighs around 200lbs. Also, I saw on another forum, someone said Carbons are not good for beginners, but didnt explain, new to skating or new to grinding. I am an experienced skater, just new to aggressive. Major con is the price, at around $400 for a full setup.

Razer Gen 7.2 (http://www.aggressivemall.com/Razor-Genesys-7-2-Skate-p/rzr-skate-g72.htm) - Very wide skate I have been told, which is good for me as I have a wide foot. About half the price of the Carbons. Full hard boot is not what I would prefer, but it would probably offer more support as I am learning grinds.

Rollerblade New Jack 2, with anti-rocker (http://www.aggressivemall.com/Rollerblade-New-Jack-v-2-Grind-On-Setup-Skate-p/rb-skate-nj-grindon-2.htm) - the cheapest choice. I heard it was a decent skate for wide footed people also.

So, as you can probably tell, I am looking for someone to talk me in to the Carbons, but I am not 100% sure yet, and the Gen 7.2 look like a good skate.

Help me choose a skate so I can get started on my quest to learn aggressive skating.

biffsk8er
March 9th, 2011, 06:01 AM
You are leaving out the best skate to choose - Remz Chris Haffey 2.1 (also known as HR's - high resistance......as materials are thicker to take more abuse)

Quoted from A-mall :

Along with conceiving the low-cut skin design pioneered on the 2.0 and matching his own "V-cut + strap" setup, Chris personally put a multitude of samples through the test to meet his high technical expectations. The new 2.1 is updated with new skin materials and stronger eyelets, combines a modern yet classic color scheme reminiscent of the 2000 Remedyz (when Chris first started rocking Remz), and includes all the advanced features that made the 2.0 a top-seller such as the redesigned rear lacing system, the precise neoprene liner with softer shock-absorber, strong hockey laces giving the skate a distinctive and athletic look, and the new concept of High Resilience (HR) construction providing optimum control & foot support.

"It sucks your foot in there and keeps it right where it needs to be so you're in complete control at all times" says Chris about the Remz HR concept that he helped develop.

Features

* Weight of single skate: 4 lbs. 4 oz. (Based on a size 9)

* Haffey 2.1 high-top inspired skin design

* Set up Haffey style - Pre-Vcut, Velcro straps, Hockey laces.

* NEW Haffey 2.1 liner

* White Toe Cap

* Remz one piece soul frame

* Remz/Razor UFS frames

* 8 mm axle bolts

* 56mm wheels (Graphic might vary)

* ABEC 3 Bearings

* 42mm anti-rocker wheels

* Full Sizes 6-13 & 10.5

Carbons are fine if all you want is a light skate. But, they are not durable. Carbons will let you down in the long run, if you want a sturdy skate to really 'let go' on.

rup3t
March 14th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I ended up going with the Razor Genesis 7.3. They should get here tomorrow. Im pretty excited.

http://69.89.31.93/~rollerne/rn4/2011/03/2011-03-10_razors_genesys_g73_1.jpg

biffsk8er
March 15th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Let us know how they work out!! Hope they rock!!

rup3t
March 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Let us know how they work out!! Hope they rock!!

I got them in size 10, the same size I wear my Sebas and my snowboard boots. They are to big. So I am returning them for a size 9. Should be here tomorrow.

Lucifargundam
July 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
You are leaving out the best skate to choose - Remz Chris Haffey 2.1 (also known as HR's - high resistance......as materials are thicker to take more abuse)

Quoted from A-mall :

Carbons are fine if all you want is a light skate. But, they are not durable. Carbons will let you down in the long run, if you want a sturdy skate to really 'let go' on.
Beginners shouldn't be spending that much on skates though. Gotta think cheap but reliable. It's the 2/3 factor as mentioned in the following quote:

The general rule to buying skates on a budgets is out of speed, comfort and price. Pick two. Fast, comfortable skates tend to be expensive. Cheap fast skates tend to be uncomfortable and so on. Of course there are cheap knock off brands that are slow, uncomfortable and quite frankly... worthless. For beginners, it would not be a good idea to get something expensive in case you find you don't like the sport. Entry level Razor or USD skates would be good choices.

biffsk8er
July 13th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Beginners shouldn't be spending that much on skates though. Gotta think cheap but reliable. It's the 2/3 factor...
I disagree. My choice is cheaper than the carbons and has a better resale value after hard use than all of the skates mentioned.

It really isn't that much more. I've done cheap but reliable in the past. I always end up wishing I invested my money better. Nothing worse than buying a cheap product that falls apart quickly and has no resale value.

Lucifargundam
July 14th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I disagree. My choice is cheaper than the carbons and has a better resale value after hard use than all of the skates mentioned.

It really isn't that much more. I've done cheap but reliable in the past. I always end up wishing I invested my money better. Nothing worse than buying a cheap product that falls apart quickly and has no resale value.
Yes, but if they're just getting into the sport- they shouldn't invest too much money into it yet because they hadn't been in there long.

-Carbon 2's are $329 boot-only
-USD Kelso Carbon Custom Skate BLACK on Aggressivemall are $229(full-setup)
---------------------
The difference between 229 and 99 is pretty big for someone who's just getting into the sport. Spending the bigger sum is equivalent to buying a used car you don't know the specs about.

biffsk8er
July 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I still disagree. Remz Chris Haffey 2.1 are only $299.00. (full-setup)
If they do not like the sport, they can still resell them with a better chance of recouping money spent. More people want them and are willing to shell out the $$$ to get a good used skate as opposed to the models that you mention.

AND.....they are more likely to stay in this sport if they get good skates that work well.

Yes, but if they're just getting into the sport- they shouldn't invest too much money into it yet because they hadn't been in there long.

-Carbon 2's are $329 boot-only
-USD Kelso Carbon Custom Skate BLACK on Aggressivemall are $229(full-setup)
---------------------
The difference between 229 and 99 is pretty big for someone who's just getting into the sport. Spending the bigger sum is equivalent to buying a used car you don't know the specs about.

Lucifargundam
July 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I still disagree. Remz Chris Haffey 2.1 are only $299.00. (full-setup)
If they do not like the sport, they can still resell them with a better chance of recouping money spent. More people want them and are willing to shell out the $$$ to get a good used skate as opposed to the models that you mention.

AND.....they are more likely to stay in this sport if they get good skates that work well.

Their chances of reselling depend greatly on a number of variables- not just the Brand. Most skaters wont dish out near the full price for secondhand skates even if they don't have a scratch on them. I'm not talking about resale. Reselling skates takes up alot of time and posting. Some people don't have the time to do so. For example, if you wear a size 14: you wont have as many buyers as someone size 9.

Considering the indeterminable(because it various from person to person) numerous variables for an x person with an x size skate that is x brand, it would be safe to say to give a general answer like it to have been just to have bought cheaper.
----
However, in context of your presented situation- it would be better to have gone with a skate like the Remz you suggested

biffsk8er
July 14th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but I do not think you'll find a size 14 Remz.

(I can't figure out whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me!?:p)

Lucifargundam
July 15th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but I do not think you'll find a size 14 Remz.

(I can't figure out whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me!?:p)
I was just using that as an example. I wear a size 13 boot and have narrow feet so I wear whichever is comfortable to me. I'm currently wearing some Nimhs(no longer in business btw since Shima started a new company) and swapped out the vicious liners with some I had from my old bladerunner furys 'cuz they wouldn't fit right.
-----------------------------------
My concluding statement to everything that happened above is that we are both right but that's because you're talking about a precise situation and I'm talking about something completely vague. Like apples and fruit. :/