1. No Depth

No Depth

It'll happen...

It's just that only our grandchildren will get to experience it and we'll all be dead.

2. Opa-Pa

Opa-Pa

Honestly I don't mind the GBA music too much (I actually prefer Celes' singing voice in that one) so that's already my definitive version of the game, plus I find the PSP remakes of I and II quite dull-looking so I wouldn't want that treatment for VI and the thought of a full scale 3D remake handled by modern Square makes me uneasy, they'd ruin everything for sure...
    ... On the other hand, I wouldn't mind this on modern platforms at all. Though I always wanted a chibi 3D remake a la IV DS myself, one made by the Bravely team would be neat.

3. Truth :-(

Still my goat, and any time I return it’s a fruitless and frustrating debate about which way to go.

Answer? FF VIR

4. AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

I still can't believe that we haven't gotten a port of FFIV: The Complete Collection for any of the newer consoles and PC! Same with the Anniversary Editions of FF1 and FF2!

5. NiceOne

NiceOne

I'd say that even Vanilla FF6 isn't the definitive version while Brave New World exists

I wish there's a version with Brave New World gameplay but with GBA/Mobile translation (anything that's better than that hack's localisation)

6. Menx64

Menx64

Square better use that beautiful engine to work. FFV, FFVI, Tactics, Valkyria Profile...

7. Remake FFVI in the manner of Octopath Traveler.

Money.

8. Garrod_Ran

Garrod_Ran

meanwhile I'm over here bummed that we'll never get a proper voiced version of FFV

I wanna hear Exdeath's laugh in more places than Dissidia :(

9. AgeEighty

AgeEighty

FFVII was a much higher-selling game and was the PlayStation generation's introduction to the series; there's really no crazy mystery to it.

10. Bumrush

Bumrush

FFVI is my favorite game of all time. I don't think we need a full scale remake a la FFVIIR, but something smaller scaled with a bit of new content (even if it's just a few optional bosses) would be incredible and sell really well.

11. Baleoce

Baleoce

They should have done a DS-ification of all the 2D FFs, not just 3 and 4.

12. Mecha Suplex

Mecha Suplex

Best is relative, though.

That undoubtedly still sounds like the best version when you take all the negatives of the other versions into account.

13. jay

jay

Played this version on my SNES classic recently and really enjoyed it. Though the premise in the OP that the SNES translation is awful makes me wonder if it's worth recommending.

14. Ayirek

Ayirek

This. That is the best version of FFVI. I got a custom cart on eBay and it plays perfectly.

15. Kyuur

Kyuur

The mobile version FF ports look better than the PSP ones imo. The PSP character sprites look nice in stills but awful in motion.

16. Phendrift

Phendrift

The upcoming Switch remake from the Octopath team will fix this

please SE

17. dadjumper

dadjumper

The Super Famicom version is the best version.
    It's the original and in the original language.

18. Namyu

Namyu

V and VI not having a beautiful sprite-based PSP version or full remake like DS is a fucking crime.

19. MrSaturn99

MrSaturn99

Playing through VI on SNES Classic for the first time and am enjoying it fine -- there were a couple lines that made me go "huh?" but I'm digging it otherwise. (For the record. I also completed FFIV recently and adored it in spite of the infamous Google Translate script).

For reference, I just met Gau.

20. Syril

Syril

I wish the T-Edition was available in English.

21. SpartyCrunch

SpartyCrunch
    Xbox and Windows Store Verafied

omg

22. Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

But what about the GBA content?

23. Molto

Molto

Meh, for me it’s a non issue, but I never put more than a few hours into the GBA version so idk how significant the extra stuff is tbh. I guess you could play the hacked GBA version if that’s important to you.

24. jett

jett
    Community Resettler Member

Best version is the SNES version. I don't need some added GBA dungeons made by who knows, and the Woolsey translation is a classic.

FF6 does not need a radioactive lighting filter, either.

25. Sub Level

Sub Level

Thats how I feel about FF7 New Threat.

So many FF fans have not experienced the glory of mods (which, to be fair, there are plenty of bad FF romhacks out there lol. Balancing a RPG is not a skill many people have.)

26. Bulebule

Bulebule

Any FF6 version is definitive where Rage-hunting is not a goddamn pain.

27. RedlineRonin

RedlineRonin

I will continue to shout from the rooftops that I want every 16 bit RPG from the SNES era remade in Octopath's style. It is absolutely incredible.

28. Printing money

29. Custódio

Custódio

Only if we get rid of the myopia simulation effect.

30. zombiejames

zombiejames

Holy shit.

31. Syril

Syril

Brave New World's mechanical changes sound interesting, but the script changes look somewhat undesirable.
    [​IMG]

32. Sanctuary

Sanctuary

That's obviously not true, but there are probably more people who have played VII that either have not played VI, or they played it much later and decided that their first FF was the best.

33. henlo_birb

henlo_birb

I don't get it. I find Octopath Traveler to be quite ugly-looking.

34. Castile

Castile

Japan also doesn't have the same nostalgic love as the west for the game. If we go by their tastes, we are more likely to get another remake for five.

35. Meh, they all fall quickly to Ultima+Quick spamming like any boss in the original game. Or hell even Fixed Dice+Offering. None of the added bosses are on the level of say Omega from FFV or Ruby from FF7 or Ozma from FF9. Beating Omega without a bard is still my personal high water mark in gaming.

The FF6A Soul Shrine can be a little tough, but really if you just don't allow yourself to use Ultima in the original game you will find the Dinosaur Forrest more challenging than the Soul Shrine using Ultima. That spell was just too OP.

36. Mr. Poolman

Mr. Poolman

Instant buy for me.

37. NiceOne

NiceOne

For all it's worth, there's a clean version of this hack which seems to make the hack's language level closer to PG-rating (it's not the original though, any swears are replaced with child-like insults like "popo head" and such so it may feel like it's being written by 1st graders). It's not even close to the original -as the best moments in dialogue are the ones who are exactly or nearly the same as the original SNES english translation and those are not common- but it manages to be more serviceable by removing unnecessary cursing.

EDIT: In both versions, pop culture references and internet memes/humor persists in them. I felt the need to point that out since it takes most people out of experience and make some cutscenes quite silly

38. Bane

Bane

Thanks for posting this. I am going to play it. A lot.

39. Calverz

Calverz

Eh whats wrong with the psx version. I remember it taking an age to goto menu, but other than that, what else?

40. Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Game needed a 3DS remake YEARS ago. Switch remake now pls.

41. Yeah, this is ridiculous. Not in the spirit of the original game AT ALL.

42. Let your voice be heard and let Square-Enix know what you want:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SQUARECRO

The survey ends on July 8. You can directly let them know how you feel about their mobile ports and their other games as well.

I asked them to fix Final Fantasy VI for PC. They seemed to fix Chrono Trigger for PC, so maybe they'll do the same for FFVI?

43. Stiltzkin

Stiltzkin

44. Keym

Keym

V suffers from the same problem. The GBA version is fine but that awful resolution coupled with the horrible sound quality can make me upset. :(

Oh geez.

45. Thank you for this. Thank you!

46. ronin_cse

ronin_cse

47. VariantX

VariantX

This is so perfect that we will never get it.

48. Blayde

Blayde

i keep hoping they release 1-6 on switch. I've played them all just one time, particularly interested in playing 1 and 6 again though. Considered playing them on nes/snes mini, but idk old games like these i just dont feel like taking up the TV to play through them.

49. Hailinel

Hailinel

This is just a fan translation. It doesn't "fix" shit.

I'm exhausted with fan translators that think they know better.

50. Dizastah

Dizastah