The second phase of the operation to rescue the remaining eight trapped boys and their football coach from a flooded cave in Thailand has resumed, says Thai authorities.

The operation was paused as rain in the Chiang Rai region threatened to raise water levels inside the Tham Luang Nang Non cave again after four of the boys were brought to the surface on Sunday.

However the rain overnight has not hampered rescue efforts with 'good news' expected at roughly 1pm (GMT) today.

The chief running the rescue operation said some of the first rescued kids being treated in hospital said; “I’m hungry” and asked for pad kra pao - a popular Thai meat dish with basil.

Four rescued boys 'in good health and demanding fried rice'

The first four boys rescued from a flooded cave in northern Thailand were in good health and demanding fried rice in hospital on Monday, the head of the rescue team said, as divers resumed operations to bring out the remaining members of the group.

The bid to rescue the boys - aged between 11 and 16 - and their 25-year-old soccer coach got going again after a break late on Sunday to replenish the team’s oxygen supplies and make other preparations deep inside the cave.
The four boys, rescued on Sunday, were flown by helicopter from the Tham Luang cave to the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh hospital, located at the heart of Chiang Rai province, about 70 km (40 miles) away.

The four rescued boys are said to be very hungry after their ordeal
The four rescued boys are said to be very hungry after their ordeal

Privacy efforts made by Thai police at hospital

Thai officials are doing what they can to stop media intrusion into the rescue operation.

They have even gone as far as guarding the entrance to the Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital in Chiang Rai province, where four of the boys - with a fifth en route - are being treated.

They have also put up a large green sheet in an attempt to cover the entrance.

Thai officials have not confirmed the identity of the five boys rescued so far. Here’s all we know about the four saved yesterday.

Thai police officers stand guard at a covered area of the Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital
Thai police officers stand guard at a covered area of the Chiangrai Prachanukroh Hospital (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Rescued boy 'flown to hospital' for treatment

According to reports at the scene the fifth boy rescued from the cave has been flown to hospital for treatment. His condition is not known at this stage.

One reporter has said that another police escort has moved into position, suggesting that a sixth boy could soon be saved.

An ambulance rushed past the entrance to the cave and about five minutes later a helicopter flew over with cheers from Thai volunteers.

We’ll have all the updates for you as they happen in Thailand.

There were cheers from volunteers when the helicopter flew overhead (Image: Getty Images AsiaPac)

Fifth boy rescued from cave - Thai navy official

A fifth boy has been rescued from the cave in Thailand, according to reports.

A witness has told Reuters that the boy was taken on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance.

The operation was paused yesterday as rain in the Chiang Rai region threatened to raise water levels inside the Tham Luang Nang Non cave again after four of the boys were brought to the surface on Sunday.

Read the full story here.

(Image: EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

Fifth 'person' rescued from cave - Reuters

Rescue workers in Thailand were seen carrying a person on a stretcher away from a cave complex and into a waiting ambulance on Monday, a Reuters witness said.
A mission to rescue a group of boys and their soccer coach trapped in the flooded cave since June 23 resumed hours earlier.
The first four boys, from the group of 13, including the coach, were rescued on Sunday.

This has not been confirmed at this stage.

A witness has told Reuters a person was seen being carried on a stretcher (Image: Getty Images AsiaPac)

Four rescued boys 'kept in quarantine'

The four boys who were rescued over the weekend are currently being kept in quarantine - due to fears they have picked up an infection during their prolonged time underground.

The four boys pulled from the cave on Sunday in an urgent and dangerous operation that involved them diving through the cave’s tight and twisting passages were in good health.
They are undergoing medical checks in a hospital and are not yet allowed close contact with relatives, who are able to see them through a glass partition, due to fear of infections.

The boys have been trapped for two weeks
The boys have been trapped for two weeks (Image: AFP)

Elon Musk tries out technology that could help save boys

Elon Musk has posted footage on social media of his company testing a “kid-sized submarine” that could be sent to help the rescue efforts.

The Paypal founder posted videos on Twitter of the aluminium sub being tested at a swimming pool.
A spokesman for Mr Musk’s Boring Co tunnelling unit, which has four engineers at the cave, has said Thai officials requested the device, which could potentially help the children through narrow, flooded cave passageways.

It is thought the technology may come too late to help with current rescue plans.

(Image: REUTERS)

International support for trapped boys

The dangerous rescue mission has inspired millions around the world. The second operation is ongoing and we could be getting breaking news any moment.

Eight boys and their football coach remain trapped in the cave system.

Second operation has been underway for a few hours

Chiang Rai acting governor Narongsak Osatanakorn said the second phase began at 11am local time and authorities “hope to hear good news in the next few hours”.
Authorities have been rushing to extract the boys, aged 11 to 16, and their coach from the cave as monsoon rains bore down on the mountainous region in the far northern province.
Authorities said heavy downpours overnight did not raise water levels in the cave, where workers continue to pump water out.
The four boys pulled from the cave on Sunday in an urgent and dangerous operation that involved them diving through the cave’s tight and twisting passages were in good health.

“At 11am we sent the second team,” said Narongsak Osatanakorn, the head of the joint command centre coordinating the operation.

An ambulance carrying one of the boys rescued from Tham Luang Nang Non cave heading towards the hospital on July 8, 2018
An ambulance carrying one of the boys rescued from Tham Luang Nang Non cave heading towards the hospital on July 8, 2018 (Image: Getty Images AsiaPac)

Second rescue operation underway

A second rescue operation is ongoing this morning - with further developments expected in the next three to four hours.

Extracting everyone from the cave could take up four days, but Sunday’s success raised hopes that could be done.
The British Cave Rescue Council (BCRC) confirmed that seven divers from the UK with “expertise in cave diving” are assisting.
Two elite British divers, Rick Stanton and John Volanthen, were the first rescuers to reach the group and are believed to be part of the team.
A BCRC spokesman said:

“The UK divers are part of the core team, so they will be actively involved and that will include escorting each child out through the flooded passage.

“The operation is being supervised by the Thai authorities.

“They have had to make a quick decision because they are really concerned about the water level rising.”

Divers are hoping to rescue four more boys today (Image: UPI / Barcroft Media)