1. Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw
    Member OP

I think blockchain has the potential to change the music business in a way favoring artists. What do you guys think?

Let's be honest here, artists earn crap on Spotify & youtube and other streaming sites. The payment is ridiculous. By cutting the middlemen artists could potentially release the music themselves and get a smart contract with fans directly - helping them getting a lot more money per play.

I've joined 2 sites right now. Both have their own coins... Of course right now the value is pretty low but it could go up in the coming years.

2. This feels like an ad for this platform, not a debate.

3. Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw
    Member OP

Ok do you want me to remove the links? Would that be fine?

4. TheLostBigBoss

TheLostBigBoss
    One day my GVT will be worth millions Member

How could you talk about blockchain and music and not mention our lord and savior ADC

5. Lump

Lump

I remember posts across other forums about Musicoin - it seemed to be a very transparent pump-and-dump and it was even being treated like a meme after the fact. I would avoid it like the plague.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/musicoin/

6. Pomerlaw

Pomerlaw
    Member OP

I removed the links...

Are you talking about Audio Coin?

7. shnurgleton

shnurgleton

No

How about we pay artists money instead of processor cycles

8. Burly

Burly

Why do you need to use a cryptocurrency that can be manipulated by presale / speculators and such? Just make a website that lets you add like $10.00 to your wallet and every time you play a song it give the artist like $0.02 or whatever number seems appropriate. This seems like a solution looking for a problem.

9. Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The one true coin.

10. Pandora012

Pandora012

I guess we should buy some bags then. Nothing can go wrong. It can only go up.

11. Regiruler

Regiruler

Just... buy your music?

12. Sirpopopop

Sirpopopop
    _ _ _ w _ _ _ Administrator

Will these coins be "bot manipulated" like ADC was?

HMMM...

13. Kyuuji

Kyuuji

Heard of Adele? Thought so.

:smirk:

14. tsmoreau

tsmoreau

15. Yossarian

Yossarian

I’m old. What’s a block chain? Google just laughs when I search.

16. djplaeskool

djplaeskool

The legend of ADC is eternal

17. badcrumble

badcrumble

1) stuff like bandcamp already exists and works
    2) musicians actually want promoters and PR people, for what it's worth

18. lmcfigs

lmcfigs

Musicians probably also want actual money

19. Burly

Burly

Short version - A database that no one person controls. In this instance, whenever you would listen to a song you would broadcast that information to a bunch of independent computers, who would each then talk to each other and update the database. That way no record company could hide how many listens you get.

20. Yebele

Yebele

am musician, can confirm

21. Delusibeta

Delusibeta

Yeah, the issues are more "what backdoor shady deals the big three has made with the streaming platforms" and "what %age of the streaming money the labels give to the artists" than anything this digital tulip claims to solve. Oh, and the music industry's efforts in getting YouTube to pay more is resulting in the EU passing legislation that requires any site that allows users to upload anything (including forums such as ResetEra) to scan everything with a Content ID-esque system, on pain of being legally liable for any copyright infringement happening on said platforms.

22. Yossarian

Yossarian

Ah, cool. That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I mean, yeah, I want money... but I ain’t ever going to get it doing what I do.

23. just_myles

just_myles

Nah. Change the laws and get people paid more.

24. RionaaM

RionaaM

Blockchain? Get out of here with that old stuff, artists nowadays want to be paid in exposure. That sweet, sweet exposure.

25. RoadHazard

RoadHazard

Just release your shit on Bandcamp.

26. Shugga

Shugga

Yep I'm sure artists want to be paid in memecoins, solid idea.

27. Luschient

Luschient

Just seeing the initials ADC triggers me.

I'll be holding it till the end of time.

28. HStallion

HStallion

Does block chain actually need a "coin" when pertaining to music and music artists, especially when trying to cut out the middle man? I thought block chain itself wasn't the "coin" aspect but the entire tech and what not powering all those different coins and currencies.