1. Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Indeed I had no clue about this. I did download the first demo you posted, and left it there waiting for me to have some free time.

There's also a bottomless pit in the factory (in the demo I played at least), in a screen to the right; it's one that you can't cross by jumping or dash-jumping.

BTW I also forgot to say that at the first setion (the rooftops), there's a bit of crumbled building that looks like a platform, but isn't. If you don't know which exact one I mean I'll take a screenshot.

Glad to be of service, and thanks for taking it so well! It's looking quite nice already!

2. Temathael

Temathael

Ah, yeah there is the pit between the buildings. Maybe we will figure out something better for the final release, as the factory environment will be changed pretty drastically from the demo.

I think I also see the deceiving piece of crumbled building now. I'll forward the feedback to our background artist:)

3. embalm

embalm

A few months ago I was ranting about having some conflict with the person doing art for my game. Since then almost no progress has been made and I think I have to kick him off the project. I used to have regular updates for everyone, but I spend so much time going through problems he's having it has hurt the games progress. Art has been at a stand still for months and we can't even get a few tiles into the game in a workable state.

The game as a whole is functionally complete. I have a few dialog's and quests complete and many outlined. So there is plenty of content to work on. I also have a few features on the back log that would be nice to have, but they are just additional mechanics.

I have been churning this idea over for weeks, but I think I have to part ways with my artist. I think I'll have to dissolve our LLC and drop any art that he has recently created, along with anything he's given me over the years. He doesn't seem interested in the project at all anymore, but I can't imagine he is going to take this well.

This sucks. Any helpful advice?

4. Minamu

Minamu

embalm Try to find a new backup artist first, I'd say. From what I gather, you've already tried to have a serious discussion with him and it hasn't worked, yes? I hate abandoning things with potential, especially when they're far gone in development, so I'd try to focus on what I CAN do, which in your case sounds like more quest content and mechanics, and then look for new graphics on the side asap.

5. Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

I would also consult with someone with actual knowledge of law (there's people here on ResetEra I think, or perhaps you know of someone IRL) to see if he can sue you for breach or contract or whatever, and if he can, what kind of evidence you need to gather to at least make it not worth it for him. Just to be on the safe side.

6. SaberVS7

SaberVS7

Honestly in the future I'd say vet who you work with and make sure you're working with professionals. The only Amateur I trust touching AJRF is myself. Everyone else on the project has shipped a title prior. And I guess I technically have too if formerly being an active member in multiple mod communities in the 90's/00's counts :V

So far the only person I've had to part with on development did so because they found a gig that could pay better and demanded more of their time. And, well, I found someone even better to replace them so it all worked out in the end.

Of course though something tells me I'll have the last laugh though as it looks like Yandere Simulator seems to be stuck in a Patreon Milk-Loop of unending Feature-Creep... Among many other concerning things that make it look like that project isn't going to end well.

7. embalm

embalm

Minamu
    I think you're right. I should focus on getting a new artist asap. I think I'll tie up some quests and dialog content to have a product that high lights the finished features. I should be able to replace all of our current art with some self made stand in art. Hopefully that will be enough to attract some motivated artists.

Weltall Zero
    Fortunately we haven't used the LLC at all and I kept myself as majority owner. There were no incomes or expenses tied to it so hopefully that also makes it easier. I am going to review our LLC agreements tonight, look them over with a friend tomorrow, and then a lawyer if it's not clear that I can dissolve.

SaberVS7
    Good advice for sure.

8. Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

*thumbs up*

9. Aki-at

Aki-at

It's been a while since I posted here so I'll just leave this here, I was surprised with the reception it go, maybe I should show gameplay off more often!

Yes I know I accidently left my mouse in the middle of the screen >_>;;

Congratulations my man! I must remember to try this out when I get some time, I love the look of your works!

A definite improvement over the previous background, gives it more life and depth, well done I say :)

10. Minamu

Minamu

Do it. Even though there's no money in your company so far, considering his lack of cooperation prior and now lack of working and communcating at all, I think the welfare of the company and product is more important than his feelings, yeah? :) It'd be a different story if he'd been a model employee, but then we wouldn't have this discussion I suppose :)

11. Jump_Button

Jump_Button

Its from years back just change and added some stuff the idea was to make a good phone game :/

I'm taking the week off but will be getting back to Sky Town stuff

12. NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Hey there.

Just a question, if I am a mostly business oriented C# programmer, how hard is the 'mentality shift' if I want to develop a game? I honestly have no idea how to start.

13. Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Here's how I started and what I 100% recommend:
    https://www.resetera.com/posts/5908836/
    You're very much in luck because Unity actually uses C#!

14. NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Wow, thanks, I will look into it!

15. Minamu

Minamu

We had a discussion on this just the other day in here :) I'd check out Unity's own tutorials on their site, they have a lot of games you can create from scratch, assets included and everything is free! And like you now know, C# is the way to go there.

16. Sean Noonan

Sean Noonan
    Senior Level Designer at Splash Damage Verafied

The AppStore is 10 years old today! Kinda crazy to think it's been that long.

I've reduced the price of my (currently) only app to celebrate :)

I'm still working on the Steam version. Hopefully Valve get back to me in the next day or two. I failed my first submission due to some issues with the Mac build as well as some cloud saving problems.

If cloud saving causes me any more submission issues, I'll probably drop the feature :(

17. Jintor

Jintor

went to a local indie game beer and games event and it was fun. feeling more gamedevvy again.

18. Candescence

Candescence

Quick update video of the Moon Magic prototype directly recorded in the Unity editor, this time with a UI facelift to spice up the look a bit, reworking the interaction options a tad, and the ability to pick up and examine objects.

19. Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

I'm not an expert but the female character definitely needs to cut down on coffee. :D

20. Candescence

Candescence

lel

Both her AI and her model are placeholders, to be fair. I was trying to get her movement to be essentially the same as the player's (driven by the Kinematic Character Controller), but it turns out it's way harder to do off-mesh links (which are basically essential in this project, and I'd like consistent movement handling with my characters) with Unity's existing navmesh stuff without the movement being driven directly by a nav mesh agent, and my current hacky approach to try and fix that has some issues.

So now I'm wondering whether to just switch to the pure nav mesh agent approach or find another pathfinding solution that lets me use both off mesh links and custom movement handling. But custom pathfindng solutions are usually expensive and also usually don't have 'portals'/off mesh links.

Edit: Currently working on a different sort of 'hybrid' model using nav mesh agent for main movement and the kinematic character controller for off mesh navigation. Working well enough thus far, with some minor weirdness.

21. Rolento

Rolento

Awesome stuff! Really liking the idea of what you are trying to do here :D

22. Tain

Tain

this building seems to have a bird problem

Neat, I like the item interactions

23. Sean Noonan

Sean Noonan
    Senior Level Designer at Splash Damage Verafied

^ that scene is just pure hype :D

So another update...