1. Dr. Caroll

Dr. Caroll

It reminds me of this IT parody trailer.

2. Platy

Platy

Much smaller, but I always found interesting the Pan's Labyrinth that focused 90% on the fantasy stuff

and an honorable mention :

3. Moppeh

Moppeh

Lol, I forgot about that. That's a pretty good example.

4. cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

It's pretty common with musicals, but I'm sad that my favorite got treated that way. I still love the film, though.

Personally, I enjoy when trailers desperately try to hide a film being foreign.

5. caliph95

caliph95

omg this is amazing

6. Lynd

Lynd

Bridge to Terabithia been mentioned?

7. caliph95

caliph95

They were other trailers that pretty much give you a better idea of the movie and basically spoiled the twist

8. MCN

MCN

Ah yes, two movies that absolutely broke me.

9. Kafarabo

Kafarabo

Bridge to terabithia is more fucked than salo

10. Clockwork

Clockwork

I just wanted to add Drive and Baby Driver to the list of deceptive trailers.

Although I enjoyed the end product I do know that many people did not get what they expected with these.

11. LakeEarth

LakeEarth

They also hid that it was a subtitled movie. The theatre I went to had to make an announcement before the movie started, obviously due to some sort of backlash.

12. thecouncil

thecouncil

People had a real bad reaction to this movie cause they thought they were getting horror. This movie is wonderful though. Deserves a rewatch by anyone that hated it after the first viewing.

13. sibarraz

sibarraz

As a kid I always thought that the movie was about the kangaroo

14. julian

julian

Lol. Came in here to post this. People walked out of the theater when I saw it.

15. I’m fucking DYING here!!!

16. Plinko

Plinko

True story: My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was kind of depressed and I wanted to take her to see a movie to cheer her up. Based on the marketing, guess which movie I chose to take her to?

17. Platy

Platy

I didn't even noticed that because here most of the movies ARE subtitled because we don't speak Hollywood language.

Or at least for now, dubbed movies are increasing like there is no stopping =|

18. Elandyll

Elandyll

Yep.

Took my wife for a twofer on our date last week, starting with "All the Money in the World" which I expected to be a bit bleak given the subject, but I thought a rom com would then up our spirits.

How wrong I was.
    Not sure he has forgiven me yet...

19. LakeEarth

LakeEarth

You reminded me, her movie Tammy was really bad for this as well. The trailer was 90% the scene where she robs a fast food place, and it's hilarious.

It's the only funny part of the whole movie. The rest of the movie is her life basically falling apart, and it's nearly devoid of anything funny except for that one scene.

20. SillyEskimo

SillyEskimo

Project X was marketed as a comedy with monkeys. Imagine the shock and horror of my 12yr old friends and I when we discovered the movie was actually about the military testing radiation on monkeys to see how long it took them to die in order to figure out how long pilots could live while flying in order to deliver a counter nuclear strike.

https://youtu.be/T0de66wOE4Y

Lol! Whacky!

The TV spots were even more egregious.

21. NealMcCauley

NealMcCauley

Oof, I remember seeing that with my dad and we both stared at each other when it was over like "What the fuck was that?" Would have been excusable if the movie was actually any good, or if someone had told Laura Linney to rein it in.

22. Auros01

Auros01

Agreed. I didn't have the same level of hatred toward it that many had when it first released but I was still disappointed. However, I recently watched it again on Netflix over Thanksgiving and really liked it.

I wonder how this movie could've been marketed more effectively.

23. Hycran

Hycran

Coming in to say my personal fave is 7 1/2 pounds. I still don't know what that movie was about.

24. Downhome

Downhome

I have a few. One off the top of my head is The Invention of Lying. I loved the trailer, but it didn't even remotely hint at what the movie is actually about.

Another one is that Hercules movie with The Rock. I had no clue it was based on anything, I (and many others), just thought it was a new Hercules film of some sort. The entire trailer is based on just one or two very short fantasy scenes from the film and again doesn't even hint to what the movie is actually about. I ended up liking it once I accepted what it was all about, but it ticked me off to start with.

25. Munti

Munti

Haha ohh noo, poor her! She must probably felt miserable afterwards

26. Seb

Seb

I still want to see that movie ;_;

27. 17 Seconds

17 Seconds

unbreakable

28. Corrik

Corrik
    Banned Member

I think Free State of Jones or whatever it is called has to he up there with deceptive marketing. I have never been more bored and more mad about watching a film in my life.

29. jtb

jtb

Eh, it's an Alexander Payne film -- he's a well-known director, and in that respect, it's exactly what you would expect. Albeit with a high-concept premise and a bigger budget

30. Adventureland comes to mind for me, a much better movie than the trailers would have you believe.

31. Bookoo

Bookoo

I didn't feel like that was that deceptively marketed.

The trailer didn't really tell you much of anything and had this mysterious vibe, but I think it was reasonable to expect that it was going to be a psychological thriller and that is what you got.

32. Z-Beat

Z-Beat

Crimson Peak looked like a horror film from the trailer

33. adamsappel

adamsappel

I would have thought Sweeney Todd was a famous-enough musical that people would know its origins. It's not like they changed the name.

34. mikehaggar

mikehaggar
    Developer at Pixel Arc Studios Verafied

Holy shit. It's like even back then WB had not idea WTF they were doing with their DC properties and got lucky with the Nolan Batman trilogy (DKR, while financially succesful, was a stinker though).

35. ShinAmano

ShinAmano

That and Jack I wad wondering about.

36. eerik9000

eerik9000

I hope you realise it's just one of the spoof trailers (and posters) made to promote The Muppets Movie, and not "the real trailer". There's a whole bunch of them, in case you missed them.

37. Window

Window

The trailers do give of a light hearted tone but I think the subject matter was communicated across accurately (the name is not to be taken literally). Also given that it's Payne, I think someone familiar with his films would know the type of humour this would contain.

38. Platy

Platy

Of course, which is why enter in the "honorable mention" because deceptively marketing is the whole point

39. Doogington

Doogington

Harry Potter as a teen comedy. I heard this was actually official.

40. Skyrim

Skyrim
    Game Developer Verafied

Not a trailer, but this always struck me as weird and deceptive.

This is the cover of my DVD of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

[​IMG]

"A smart, sexy, and seriously funny comedy!" is probably the last sentence I would ever use to describe the movie.

41. Cocolina

Cocolina

Was it Free Willy?

42. Tater

Tater

The first one that really got me was "Way of the Gun". The trailer makes it look like some quirky comedy/action movie, but it was just dark and depressing, IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXGm-2lvJww

That dive into the fountain at the end of the trailer looks comedic in the trailer, but it's deadly serious in the movie.

43. Futureman

Futureman

I'm sure there were multiple TV ads. This one probably played only on the WB or something to rope in Katie Holmes fans.

44. lenovox1

lenovox1

They were clearly going to bank on Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, because I don't think there's was a good example of a successful R rated musical before Sweeney.

45. Sly Chimera

Sly Chimera

The VVitch.

46. Night Angel

Night Angel

It wasn't just you, it was almost everyone who went to see it because the marketing led us to believe we were going to a horror movie.

Mother! got an F cinemascore because it was poorly advertised (and honestly I didn't like it for what it actually was, either).

I feel like we can easily expand this point to include The VVitch, It Comes at Night, and other arthouse horror films. They need to quit marketing them as standard horror fare.

47. More_Badass

More_Badass

Yeah, you know how many parents probably took their kids to see Pan's Labyrinth, only to get one hell of a shock

48. lenovox1

lenovox1

Well, they give these directors unlimited budgets, hand the marketing department the movie, and the marketing department has to go, "What the hell are we going to do with this?"

49. More_Badass

More_Badass

How was The Witch deceptively marketed?

50. Merriweather

Merriweather

A few years ago my wife rented "Love & Other Drugs" with Anne Hathaway & Jake Gyllenhall because all the trailers made it look like a fun rom-com.

Turns out it's a depressing drama about Parkinsons.