1. Ellis

Ellis

Have to agree.

2. Eusis

Eusis

... That wouldn't surprise me. But I generally feel like a lot of it is due to Microsoft not including it in their controllers, and perhaps Sony not pushing for it in their own published titles. I have to imagine that a better gyro and making sure the likes of Guerrilla Games and Naughty Dog used it for aiming would have done a lot to promote adoption of it and perhaps during that vulnerable early period for the Xbox prompted Microsoft to include it in future controller revisions.

3. TAJ

TAJ

Blue Estate relied entirely on gyro and it was unplayable.

4. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

lol at people agreeing with the idea that gyro aiming sucks. It's literally more precise than solely using analog sticks. That's all there is to it.

In the right hands, mouse and keyboard users are gonna win above all, but gyro control users are gonna beat those solely using analog sticks.

Also, maybe it would be less confusing to people if it were referred to as gyro assist? Because that's really what it is. My friends didn't understand it when I told them to enable it in Fortnite. It's for those small precise movements you can't do with a stick, like when you're aiming down sight or something.

5. Jangowuzhere

Jangowuzhere

Not for where I play video games.

As someone who plays games in a cramped room with little arm room, the gyro controls are basically useless to me.

6. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

What do you think gyro controls are?

7. TAJ

TAJ

The gyro in Blue Estate was like trying to aim with a PSMove while riding a mechanical bull set to Get The Fuck Off.
    It also drifted faster than an empty blowup raft in a rip current.

8. AfropunkNyc

AfropunkNyc

Lack of gyro is one of the major reasons why i still haven't took the jump on purchasing a PS4. Majority of the games i play on PC is with gyro. The switch is second for my major gyro use. Sony just doesn't see the true vision here.

9. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

Okay?

10. Deadlast

Deadlast

Gyro is too dependent on how and where you controller is when you play. I like rest my arms on my legs while I game, and reposition them often. Gyro would not worked for me and I am glad that it is some I am not forced to live with.

11. Dracon

Dracon

Thats how I feel about this too, if Gravity Rush was any indication, the gyro on PS4 is not that great and has a weird input lag.

12. noyram23

noyram23

Sure as long as they're on a separate lobby or server, sometimes I just want to rest, play and never aim around my controller.

13. headspawn

headspawn

It's honestly weird that the option doesn't exist for the most part.

14. Ganransu

Ganransu

Have to disagree.

Now we must duel.

Jokes aside, I don't think I would like gyro aiming on a thing I hold with two hands, tried on the Switch and couldn't get used to it. Individual joy-con gyro aim on the other hand, I can't live without.

15. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

This thread's telling me more people need to play Splatoon.

16. Kind of weird how violently negative the reaction is to something that would probably at most be a toggle (defaulted to off) in the menu for people who want to use it. When I was playing Horizon I definitely wished I could have had gyro aiming, especially coming off of playing Breath of the Wild for a long time.

17. I only like doing gyro on the Switch because I can gyro aim with the right hand and still move my character on the stick with a non-wiggly controller. I can't do gyro when it's all together on one thing.

18. Crayon

Crayon
    Member OP

I'll play a game on the ps4 without it just fine. But if I have a choice to get it somewhere where I can use the gyro aim i'll be leaning that way.

19. ~Fake

~Fake

I never missed it. What the big deal about? Not saying don't need to have, but strange people asking so desperately about this feacture. It's easy to implement?

20. Helacious

Helacious

Bruh there's zero moving around this isn't the wii remote. If you can pitch and yaw your wrist by a couple degrees that's enough room.

It's by far the best conciliation between mouse/kb precision and couch user friendliness imo

21. pixxxelz

pixxxelz

Yup, pretty much, can't see myself ever using them even if it was an option.

22. afrodubs

afrodubs

I like using gyro aim to fine tune ADS.

23. Crayon

Crayon
    Member OP

Well. Nothing is free to implement. Like, I considered perhaps sony making is a system level thing. To map gyro to analog stick. But I don't think that would work. It really needs to map to a 1:1 output like a mouse. So the games would have to make the option. Then add a couple sliders to tune it. Probably tailor a few prompts or tooltips. But as far as actually making it work... if the game takes a mouse input, its essentially good to go. On steam, you just tag the gyro to the mouse and that's about it.

Yeah guys. It's really not a lot of actual movement. More than I would typically move my controller. But less than many people move just by involuntary action.

Except gran turismo sport. There, I'm actually moving quite a bit.

24. jayvo

jayvo

I won't ever be the one to downplay 'options'. But if gyro is on in any game that I play, I immediately turn it off. As long as its an option that I can turn off, I'm fine.

25. ~Fake

~Fake

Maybe the next Dualshock/DS5 can already have a inbuild. Or is this a software thing?

26. I'd love it if all TPS and FPS shooters had a gyro "after touch" system of aiming. It would be more for fine tuning of shots. Uncharted for Vita is where I first saw this, then again in Killswitch for Vita. Imo it's the best thing, and I wish it was in every shooter. Those motion sensors in all the controllers are just going to waste.

27. Crayon

Crayon
    Member OP

More software. If the game is only receiving analog stick signal, then the system could map gyro to that but it would suck. However, it the games were required to take 1:1 (mouse-like) input, then you could handle the gyro setup through system level and it would be a lot like steam. Semi-universal.

edit: why didn't someone tell me there was a typo in my thread title :< ??

28. ColdSun

ColdSun
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant Moderator

Thread title corrected by OP's request.

29. Bishop89

Bishop89

yeh i dont get
    It just feels unnecessary to move around your hands to aim.

30. Zelas

Zelas

Mouse and keyboard is even better. But when the foremost priority is achieving the greatest level of comfort with the least amount of movement, none of that matters. You can't care about what you don't care about.

31. Jazar

Jazar

This is what people are taking about when they want gyro aiming and what people who don't want it don't understand. It's not waggle. It's fine tuning precision aiming with micro movements. It makes scope adjustments a natural 2nd nature breeze and super fun.

Hell it doesn't have to be on by default but having it as an option would be amazing.

Moving your hands is exactly how you would aim a weapon.

You can fine tune your aim with less movement than it would take adjusting the thumbstick using gyro.

32. Crayon

Crayon
    Member OP

I don't think it's been mentioned but it's seemingly appreciated more by people who are not the best with analog sticks.

33. Gbraga

Gbraga

I don't doubt it's more precise, but so is mouse and keyboard, and I still turn on my controller to play some shooters on PC. Preferences aren't solely based on performance.

That said, I have nothing against devs giving that option. I also imagine a lot of the divide comes from people's playing habits. For example, I'm not that into competitive multiplayer, most of the shooters I play are single player, so performance is hardly a concern, even on the highest difficulties. Whatever feels more comfortable to me is more important.

34. Ghost305

Ghost305

Loved Gyro aiming ever since using KZ2’s sniper.

More games should take advantage of it, since all DS4’s have Sixaxis.

35. Ninjatogo

Ninjatogo

I think a system level remapping of the right stick to the gyro could work. If you think about how it works with Splatoon, it's always active and only reset when the left bumper is hit. On the DS4, it would probably work well to do it the same way, but only reset when the user moves the analog stick. It would take some getting used to, but I think that could work.

36. 2Blackcats

2Blackcats

Meh. I know its more accurate but don't really care.

I used to be a M&K or death person. Now I'd never play M&K. Not fun to me any more.

37. Crayon

Crayon
    Member OP

I could be wrong but I messed around translating gyro to analog stick in steam and it was really hard to get something that felt good.

38. jett

jett
    Community Resettler Member

The few times I attempted gyro controls on PS3 it was just absolute trash and decidedly a step down from regular analog sticks.

39. Ninjatogo

Ninjatogo

I also tried that in Steam, and the biggest issue for me was the fact that there was no input smoothing. With the sensitivity of the sensor in the DS4 it made the movement very jumpy and erratic, so even just pressing buttons on the controller could throw your aim off. With an option to filter the input and adjust the sensitivity it should be much better.

40. Ninjatogo

Ninjatogo

That was old tech, that was only ever used halfheartedly by a few developers here and there. Today's controllers are a bit more refined in their implementation.

41. breakfuss

breakfuss

Agreed! I cannnot stand it, always feels a like half baked novelty.

42. jett

jett
    Community Resettler Member

I thought the DS4 used the same sixaxis stuff as the DS3?

43. Crayon

Crayon
    Member OP

ShouldbSh be that different in the hardware. Little accelerometers like that were already a dime a dozen when ps3 came out.

I do know that some of those early games that featured motion control didn't do so very well. There was at least one that did it well though; the formula 1 game they had at launch. Very good motion steering and that became my most wanted feature for Gran turismo. Only recently fulfilled by GTS.

44. bionic77

bionic77

It definitely takes a little while to get used to gyro aiming.

But it doesn’t take that long and once it clicks going back to just dual analog is like going back to SD. It just feels like something important is missing.

It is weird it is only an option on Switch games and on Steam.

45. Exactly! It doesn't replace the traditional controls, it supports it! And it's *sublime*. It's probay one of my favorite features this gen gameplay wise, but it rarely gets used. I would love if devs put this in all shooters coming out soon - heck, anything with a targeting reticule. Once people see the awesomeness of the fine tuning motion controls, they will feel like they were living in the Stone Age. Or something like that. Maybe.

46. Ghost305

Ghost305

Wrong.

The market has barely been exposed to it.

47. KartuneDX

KartuneDX

But yeah this topic makes it clear the majority don’t really understand the purpose/utility of gyro aiming. I can say for sure Fortnite has been a hugely different game since the implementation on Switch. It’s not waggle, and it’s not “motion”. It’s being able to make the finest adjustments in the shortest amount of time. Gyro is king for accuracy on a pad.

48. SapphiCine

SapphiCine

I wish every PS4 shooter had gyro assist like Breath of the Wild. Only game with gyro I liked.

49. Beatle

Beatle

Sony owners don't seem to be asking/pushing for it like Switch owners, if they did I'm sure that control option would be made available, Sony customers are very quiet on the subject or they just reject it out of hand leaving no option for it's use

50. hijukal

hijukal

Besides Wii waggle, I first really started using it when I first bought a Steam Controller in 2015. Hated it. Revisited it a while back and found if I use it sparingly for fine tune type adjustments in conjunction with the Steam Controller's touchpad, it's great. I can't handle it as the primary aiming mechanism, but works really well when both are in sync.