1. Pein

Pein

They don’t have to accept his apology tho. Even if you’re changed people will get on your case about not deserving success afterwards.

It’s like Dave Chappelle said, you want everybody to be a perfect ally and that’s just not possible. It’s a ridiculous standard and it sucks that we all aren’t afforded mistakes in life anymore.

2. TheEnd

TheEnd

People who were supportive of Disney firing him are looking like a special kind of dumb now.
    Yeah, they were most likely expecting a pat on the back, this backfired badly for them from a PR point.

3. Glenn

Glenn

And risk getting blacklisted by Disney? With the Fox deal they produce a ridiculous amount of Hollywood movies.

4. duckroll

duckroll

Has Feige even said anything about this at all? Seems like it would be his place to comment, since he hired Gunn, not Disney.

5. DarthOrange

DarthOrange

Even if they are under contract, it will look even worse for Disney to actually take legal action against any crew members standing up for Gunn. Good on Bautista for not hesitating to take a stand, the rest of the cast doing the same (or hell, even just Saldana and Pratt) would do more to force Disney's hand than anything else.

6. JMeth

JMeth

I hope these petitions succeed because the firing was one of the most hypocritical actions I have ever seen. They are upset over supposed pedophilic posts sent by Gunn years ago as jokes, yet 80% of their animated films feature teens being pursued by adult men. And let's not forget how they sexualized their teen stars like Miley Cyrus and tried to present them as what was basically jailbait. Disney simply has no moral ground here at all to stand on.

7. janoGX

janoGX

Three things might happen:

1. Nothing happens and Disney keeps their mouths shut. And I find this to be a bad move from them since they WILL need to answer, at least from Feige or Iger.

2. Disney goes "fuck ya'll Gunn is back" and pisses off the Alt-Right.

3. Walt Disney Pictures Chairman resigns. It's a PR disaster that started with him. Iger would ask for his head.

8. Chumley

Chumley

Between this, Patton, and the Trevor Noah thing I’m losing my mind at how transparent this current moment is and how so many liberals are completely missing it. This is when you circle the fucking wagons.

9. Daysean

Daysean

Betting on 1, 2 is a possibility, i have no faith in 3

10. UberTag

UberTag

They've got to clue in eventually, right? I mean, this is a multi-prong war being waged on multiple social media fronts with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

11. Chumley

Chumley

If this is dragged out over the next week or more with more celebrities speaking out, both 2 and 3 could happen. It really depends entirely on how long the story stays in the news.

12. Tickling

Tickling

I won’t be signing it but didn’t feel he needed to sacked. Most people live in a world of grey and everything isn’t black on white. The guy made stupid tweets and family values company Disney acted. They weren’t wrong to sack but they weren’t right to either.

13. Thatonedice1

Thatonedice1

3 isn't happening. This is bad PR but it's still just thousands of people upset with this. It would have to be millions for the CEO to resign.

Edit:

Man it would be crazy if Disney doubled down and released a statement saying the are proceeding with finding a new director.

14. Chumley

Chumley

It’s been happening for a while now, I hope this finally wakes some of these fucking people up but it’s still hard for a lot I see online to fathom what’s actually happening and what the bigger picture is.

15. Closing in on 150,000. Hope this hits the news cycle hard tomorrow

16. Koo

Koo

4. They cancel GotG3. If they want to stand firm on their decision and the actors are now going to start raising a stink on social media they can just cancel the whole project. Pretty much shuts down all bad PR if there is no more movie.

17. More_Badass

More_Badass

Shuts down all bad PR? More like throw gasoline on a fire

18. Chumley

Chumley

The petition now has more signatures than the number of people who were even fucking aware of Weird Mike’s bullshit in the first place.

19. Koo

Koo

Well this will die down, till production starts on GotG3, then people will remember all over again and complain about Gunn. If they shut things down now, in a few months/year no one will have reason to bring this up again as there is no movie in production, no advertising, etc.

So yeah I guess throw gasoline on the fire now to let it burn itself out and not worry about it later.

20. Swiggins

Swiggins

Signed. The firing was absolutely ridiculous and those who pushed for it need something better to do with their time.

21. janoGX

janoGX

It will actually be Disney doing this. Causing a major uproar.

[​IMG]

22. Nappuccino

Nappuccino

If Bryan Singer and Victor Salva can survive being actual pedophiles, I think Gunn and his disowned jokes are going to be fine.

23. ElBoxyBrown

ElBoxyBrown

The only possibility of 3 happening is if GotG3 is cancelled and all the Guardian characters are erased from the MCU.

24. Cuburger

Cuburger

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fuck yeah! Power of friendship!

25. SuperBlank

SuperBlank

I mean... I'd like James Gunn to return... but it's not like I'm no longer gonna see GotG3 without him... and I think most are that way... and I think Disney knows that...

If the cast refuses to work without Gunn (which they probably can't do unless there's breach of contract), then maybe.

26. I'm guessing Bautista is contracted to do GotG3 anyway?

Maybe he can threaten to phone it in.

27. KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

What is this current moment?

28. duckroll

duckroll

Alan Horn is 75 years old. His contract as Disney Pictures chairman expires at the end of this year after an extension in 2014. I don't think he even wants to continue because he originally retired when he stepped down from Warner Brothers and Iger personally asked him to come out of retirement to helm Disney. There's no resigning or firing here, he's not sticking around I think.

29. newmoneytrash

newmoneytrash

I don't think 3 has a remote possibility of happening

1 is the most likely imo but 2 could definitely happen

30. Nappuccino

Nappuccino

Targeted attacks from the alt-right, most of which involve some degree of misrepresenting liberals who are prominent anti-trump voices.

31. Alice

Alice

Sounds like that would make him an easy fall guy if Disney wanted to save face?

32. ElBoxyBrown

ElBoxyBrown

So basically JLaw's performance in X-Men: Apocalypse.

33. tommy7154

tommy7154

I have no clue what's happening here other than James Gunn apparently tweeted some fucked up stuff and is now fired from Guardians.

Why do people want him unfired? I thought the tweets were pretty gross myself. Who jokes like that?

34. Nappuccino

Nappuccino

Seems that way.

Grampa got on the conference call and--

35. Bluewind098

Bluewind098

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous there's so many reasons why that would be counterproductive

For one the direction GOTG3 goes is completely dependent on what happens in Avengers 4 a movie that's already finished filming and depending on how the story goes needing to rewrite and reshoot will cost alot of money and may end up effecting the quality of the movie and continuity and considering the MCU is built on both of those things and how it's going to impact the conclusion for a story 10 YEARS IN THE MAKING than you can see why Marvel would be hesitant to do that.

Plus if Disney were to cancel an entire movie one that is highly anticipated and has alot riding on it entirely because of the Alt Right than it's going to seriously damage the Marvel brand. All you would do is further empower them because all it says is if you just yell hard enough and slander people with no regard you can not only fire someone in the industry for going against your political beliefs but you can topple one of the biggest movie dynasties in one fell swoop. For Disney one of the biggest movie companies to let that happen they would never live it down it would be one of the most shameful moves they've done in their entire legacy.

36. Chumley

Chumley

I fucking hate posts like this so much. Read.

37. Nappuccino

Nappuccino

It's been explained hundreds of times by now. Long and short: He already apologized for the tweets 6 years ago, and the tweets have been misrepresented to appear worse than they are.

38. Because it was 8-10 years ago, he apologized, and he's a better person today.

39. tommy7154

tommy7154

• User warned: Low effort post
    No. I don't have time.

40. KtotheRoc

KtotheRoc

I am aware of that. But the poster I quoted was saying something about transparency and the current moment and about liberals.

41. airjoca

airjoca

This is THE truth bomb:

42. Nappuccino

Nappuccino

You're literally reading right now. That's basically all you can do on this forum.

He means that the coordinated attack (and Mike Cernovich's reactions to it's success) are blatantly obvious tells of motivations and what is actually at stake--Trump's critics--instead of any sort of actual moral issue.

43. ElBoxyBrown

ElBoxyBrown

Context is what is important. Gunn tweeted some anti-Trump stuff and the Alt-Right got pissy and started digging up some old offensive tweets he never deleted. What you need to know is that Gunn already apologized years ago for those tweets and since then has been bettering himself, but Disney for some reason decided to act fast and fire him despite probably knowing about those tweets before hiring him.

44. tommy7154

tommy7154

Ah, OK. Won't be signing that petition but if it was that long ago and they were jokes I hope...) then hope everything works out.

45. BDS

BDS

First of all, you guys are nuts if you think Horn acted unilaterally. He obviously had Iger's blessing.

Second, there are various options Disney can take to mitigate the PR fallout here, but the problem is that their initial statement was so aggressive and condemning that it's hard for them to walk any part of it back without looking weak. Disney's extremely fast and forceful reaction makes them look incredibly hypocritical (see also: "Lasseter, John") while also preventing them from properly assessing the context of the situation.

46. duckroll

duckroll

I dunno about fall guy, but if they name a replacement later this year, they could also wait it out and announce a reconciliation with Gunn next year if they want to. Different top management, different decisions. Alternatively if they want to backpeddle quickly, it might be embarrassing but if the chairman isn't sticking around he might not even mind? Or they might do nothing. Who knows. It's a little early to say.
    He definitely did. I guess the question is how much Feige was kept in the loop for this, and how Iger would feel this week after having more talks with people who actually run that part of the business. There's definitely a lot of unhappiness going around the company now.

47. Chumley

Chumley

Nappucino summed it up. Cernovich, InfoWars, etc. have been playing this game for 2 years and it’s now peaked. Some liberals are still fucking clueless about their tactics, how they manipulate emotion, and how this is actually a culture war. They’re successfully driving out liberal voices.

48. tommy7154

tommy7154

Ohhh now I understand what this is actually about. Thanks.

49. Alice

Alice

That's why I think they could make Horn the fall guy. It seems odd that he, of all people. was asked to publicise the firing when he rarely ever seems involved with the Marvel side of things.

50. The Adder

The Adder
    Resettlement Advisor Member

Saving face isn't about what actually happened. It's about not looking bad (or as bad). Independent of the fact that he couldn't possibly have acted unilaterally, if they wanted to go down that road, that's the excuse they'd use and there'd be nothing anyone could do to refute them.