1. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I got my first job a few months ago and I want to make improvements to my life. The work so far is SQL and batch scripting. I might get into web dev and Java with Spring Boot 4 later. So far I have 10 vacation days to work with. I got plenty of time at work to learn new things. I might look into getting better at mathematics. I learned 4 different ways to multiply 15 x 12 today.

I also listen to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood episodes. I find his lessons to be very relatable despite being a children's show. There were words that I needed to hear.

I am thinking about investing my money. I have about $10K on me. I heard about 401K and Roth IRA. I think my 401K with the company starts this October.

2. ShortNasty

ShortNasty

Give a shit. About your body, diet, health, and personal relationships. Never stop studying all of those concepts.

3. ruggiex

ruggiex

Keep things simple. Declutter.

4. Frump

Frump

Eat healthy and stay off Twitter.

5. BronsonLee

BronsonLee
    still broke, less furious Moderator

Don't be a moderator on an internet forum
    Don't use Twitter
    Eat avocados

6. patientzero

patientzero

Read, and read a mix of fiction and nonfiction, essays and poetry, every genre. As the saying goes, it’s an empathy-generating machine and will enrich your life.

7. ishan

ishan

Make good friends . Do what you like and have a thick skin . Don’t hold grudges be willinging to forgive or overlook hardly any one is perfect

8. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

Where are good places to find essays and poetrys? What do you recommend?

9. finalflame

finalflame

Live below your means, eat healthy, exercise, keep good genuine company, don't take on frivolous debt, stay single, experiment responsibly with drugs.

Has worked out for me.

10. Don't bottle up your emotions. You need an outlet.

Stay away from cancer sticks.

11. SnowFlakeCake

SnowFlakeCake

Don't get married.

12. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I give 20% of my paycheck to my parents. The rest I hold onto, unless it's for a longterm purchase.

13. sanstesy

sanstesy

Live like every day is your first.

14. Alice Malice

Alice Malice

Meditate. It lets your brain calm down and it can take a few minutes of your day. Guided meditations on youtube really help.

15. Necromanti

Necromanti

Stress won't change the outcome of something you're anticipating. So deal with it as it comes. The world will probably not end, so it is not over. Don't live riddled with regret since you cannot change the past; channel those emotions into shaping a better future for yourself. You have time, but you don't have an eternity.

16. Mediking

Mediking

Whoa. Whoa.

YOU HAVE 10K ON YOU?

17. Air

Air

Don't pursue happiness. Develop yourself as a person. Have a high level of self awareness and be emotionally and rationally integrated. Develop a healthy habits of establishing boundaries. Practice gratefulness. Do things with conviction. Lastly, be honest with yourself and don't be afraid to be vulnerable and open

18. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I don't plan on marrying. I don't see a point spending $30,000 to have a one day party. My sister spent so much money because of miscommunication with my mom. There were so much trouble planning.

19. Resurgam

Resurgam

Good advice so far.

Here's an important one I learned, throughout your life, you'll run into people expecting you to justify mundane aspect of your life to them. The kind of people who give you crap about your diet, your taste in music, watching cartoons, playing video games, or just, in general, enjoying silly stuff.

A lot of folks are just buzzkills who got stuck in a negativity spiral a long time ago. You don't have to justify the unimportant nonharmful things you do in your downtime. If you like goofy stuff and it brings you joy keep doing it.

20. Heromanz

Heromanz

Workout. At least three times a week. And not that BS working out where you're barely doing anything build up a sweat and get that heart beat up.

21. First.
    Attempt.
    In.
    Learning.

22. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I spent awhile saving up. It's a little considering how long I saved it for along with 3 months of work...

I would like to invest it though I don't know how.

23. leder

leder

As an extremely negative person, cut the extremely negative people out of your life.

24. Dental Plan

Dental Plan

Stuff I do.

Take some time to yourself everyday.
    Do things big or small that make you happy.
    Exercise 5 times a week.
    Talk with friends.
    Meeting new people.
    Even when I am stressed out or worried about something I try to focus on the positives of why I'm stressed or worried.

25. krioto

krioto

Don't worry so much - worrying never helped anything

26. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

What should I do instead of worrying?

27. patientzero

patientzero

Ooh, big question. Let me think about it, I’ll gather up some resources and if all else fails maybe just make you a list of authors/books to check out.

Maybe PM me so I don’t forget (sorry, life is kind of stacked right now)!

28. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

How do you exercise in this heat?

I got a 2 year 24 hour super sport that I haven't redeemed yet.

I don't know how to meet new people or talk with friends well.

What are your positives? What makes you happy?

29. Do what makes you happy

30. I try to live by a simple philosophy, and it serves me well: leave people better than you found them.

Every relationship is fleeting, whether it's the 30 seconds you know a cashier before you never see her face again or the decades you spend with a loved one before time claims one of you. Just try to leave them better than you found them. In most cases, that's just being a decent person, maybe giving them a smile.

31. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I recall reading from The Little Prince this quote:

What is essential is invisible to the eye.

32. Mediking

Mediking

Somebody said marriage?

33. thetrin

thetrin
    Content Acquisition at DANGEN Entertainment Verafied

Honestly, it's really simple.

- Don't worry about what you can't change.
    - Take your job seriously.
    - Be true to your friends.
    - Don't drown yourself in substances when things get you down.
    - Have fun. Life isn't worth living if you're not having fun.

As far as exercise goes, if you live in the US, I do recommend getting on a workout schedule. If you live in the city or in a country like Japan and can walk everywhere, you can probably rely on watching what you eat and walking everywhere.

34. Burpelson

Burpelson

Always drink plenty of water, fella.

35. Violence Jack

Violence Jack

Keep it simple. Know what you want out of life, and go for it.

36. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I got to. SoCal heat. Plus ice cold water is free is healtheir, and a lot more refreshing than most drinks.

37. Heromanz

Heromanz

Train at night

38. Dorothy Gale

Dorothy Gale
    Member OP

I sleep early at 8:30PM-9:30PM because work starts at 7:00AM

39. Heromanz

Heromanz

Before work or going to sleep later.

40. Dental Plan

Dental Plan

I go to planet fitness and it's usually pretty cold inside. I can't exercise outside in LA it's way too hot.

You can meet new people here. I actually have two good friends I met on here. It all comes down to similar interests. Going into a specific OT thread can help with that. As far as new people not on the internet, try going to a place where you have interests in.

Positives are:
    Being alive.
    Enjoying my line of work.

What makes me happy:
    Friends
    Watching pro wrestling.
    Playing video games.
    Coming on resetera.
    Reading about dumb new food on brandeating.
    Going on to discord.
    Driving. I love going on road trips.

41. honest_ry

honest_ry

Stay off social media and the internet.

42. Aureon

Aureon

Have a <10 minute commute.
    Seriously.

43. zoukka

zoukka
    Game Developer at Fingersoft Verafied

Your social life will probably have the biggest impact in your well being.

The key to happiness is to make the normal average days enjoyable. It doesn’t matter what the high’s in your life are if your regular days feel mundane.

44. Troublematic

Troublematic

Be attractive.

45. Kayotix

Kayotix

Stay off social media.

46. Ragnar

Ragnar

Both from experience and plenty of peer-reviewed research: Have close, supportive, loving relationships with family and/or friends.

47. Imperfected

Imperfected

The best thing money can buy you is not having to think about money. Get enough of it that you don't have to worry about it, and then do exactly that: stop worrying about it.

If "enough" is never enough it's always going to be a source of stress and frustration.

48. shaneo632

shaneo632

Try and walk at least 30 minutes a day or do some kind of exercise.

49. Carn

Carn

- Don't spend money you dont have
    - Stay healthy (through food, sports, whatever floats your boat)
    - Try to be better
    - Don't put energy into things you don't like or hate doing.
    - Be honest about those things and cut around the crap. You don't have to justify your own decisions.
    - Read a lot

50. Drink a lot of water