1. Alastor3

Alastor3
    Member OP

The only KH games I have played was the first game maybe 10 years ago and I think I got stuck in the Tarzan world not knowing what to do or where to go, hated the jungle part. But im looking for a long term RPG and since I got the Persona 5 and KH collection with PS Share, I was maybe more tempted by Kingdom Heart. Why? Because the story seems more fun than Persona 5. Im sure Persona is a good and long game but, I know for a fact that it's going to be the same repetitive thing : start a new month, meet a new chharacters, etc...

Anyway im not here to debate which game I should play.
    I was more interested to know how is the story of KH games and how much fucked up (in a bad way) it get with the release of what, 2 games and 4 spin off ? But yet, people are super excited for Kingdom Hearts 3, so is it because of the gameplay, story, or the disney world you can play in?

I just look at the worlds in the kingdom hearts games and im surprise there aren't more new modern disney movies in them and im glad the third game will rectified that.

2. Daysean

Daysean

Nope, just the gameplay

3. Pankratous

Pankratous

Personally can't bring myself to be interested in the series anymore. The story couldn't possibly be any more convoluted.

4. Heromanz

Heromanz

The story in kindgom hearts is fuckin stupid but in a good kind of way.

5. Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

I love the story. I enjoy the Disney mash up, and then I adore seeing how fucked up and insane the original story gets.

It's a combination of the gameplay evolving into something unique and fun, with original canon Disney stories (The Toy Story world's plot is canon to the films), and a Kingdom Hearts game releasing on a home console instead of a handheld. Those are the biggest factors into why people are looking forward to KH3.

6. Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Do you want to see Mickey emerge from a smoldering red goatse portal?

7. Ishida

Ishida

Huge Kingdom Hearts fan here.

The story is garbage. Full stop. It seems like it was written by a bunch of kids from fanfiction.net. And it keeps getting worse with each installment.

The games are great in spite of their story, not because of it.

Everything else is amazing.

8. Cyanity

Cyanity

Uhhh no, not at all. Unless you're looking for one of those "so bad it's good" stories.

9. TrickyAssist

TrickyAssist

It's pretty good. It's not nearly as confusing as people say as long as you just pay attention and don't skip games.

10. Clusterdreams

Clusterdreams

Hell no. The story is so nonsensical and incoherent. The writing is extremely puerile and it’s got some horrible voice acting. And then you have to play all of these small titles to get any kind of a grasp on what’s happening because it’s all over the place. It’s so convoluted it makes MGS look like the Witcher.

11. Zuly

Zuly

You can play it for the story but you have to play every entry in the series to make any sense out of it.

12. Bartend3r

Bartend3r

It's worth for Disney x Final Fantasy and battle gameplay. Story is just a huge pile of a mess.

13. MrConbon210

MrConbon210

The story is ridiculous in all the right ways. If you enjoy the story of MGS then it’s a lot like that.

Probably my favorite story in video games.

14. Reyes

Reyes

It stupid fun even, though DDD gets dumb and not in a good way.

15. Primethius

Primethius

Absolutely not. The story is garbage.

16. Benzychenz

Benzychenz

It's a crazy, convoluted, but cheesy and lighthearted ride and I love it.

But yeah if you've got access to the collection then go for it, will give you well over 100 hours of entertainment.

One little side note though is that it lists 358/2 Days before KH2, when you should definitely play KH2 first as that's the original release order and 358/2 will spoil some plot points.

17. Wispmetas

Wispmetas

The story can be a mess, but in my opinion, what carries the franchise are the characters it presents and the emotional beats it can achieve with those characters.

I can without a doubt say, that one of the reasons I am most excited to play KH3, is because of the story, and I really believe the games are worth playing for that reason.

18. Sure OP.

Sure.

[​IMG]

19. DecoReturns

DecoReturns

I’m excited for the Gameplay. KH 2 was an amazing game gameplay wise.

The story was all over the place. It was kinda of entertaining, but the story direction for the series has always been boring. Terrible flow of dialogue in cutscenes and there’s hardly any music in most cutscenes as well. Maybe it will get better since it was PS2 era where that stuff was still not up to standards.

But if you’re interested in the story. You have to play some (maybe all?) of the “spin offs” to understand. You could argue that Chain of Memories is the Actual KH2, because it leads right into KH2.

20. Anteater

Anteater

Yes, at least 1 and 2 (I haven't played bbs). 1 is more light with the story and it's easy to follow. 2 got weird at some point and while i think they messed up with the execution, it's worth playing, and the story isn't that hard to follow if you paid attention in 1 and read the journal entries.

21. Cyclonesweep

Cyclonesweep

I love it even though it is a mess. It's fun to try and figure out. I also. A huge fan of the characters themselc a more than the story.

22. SSJDio

SSJDio

Hahahha, absolutely not. Even for me who loves cheesy over the top nonsense, the KH story goes way too far off the deep end. However the characters are very likable even if they are as basic as they come.

23. Gardios

Gardios

The story in Kingdom Hearts is pretty dumb and only gets dumber the deeper you get into series. So your enjoyment will be reliant on how much stupid nonsense you can take.

24. DrakenAstro

DrakenAstro

The story is dumb but still charming if that makes sense. For some reason though, I'm hugely invested in the Kingdom Hearts story

25. JakeNoseIt

JakeNoseIt

Yes! Kingdom Hearts is a masterpiece and NUMBER 1 on the official Easy Allies DESIRE INDEX

26. PhazonBlazer

PhazonBlazer

I like it for the cheese, and I do genuinely like the characters. But no, the story is incredibly stupid.

27. Napalm_Frank

Napalm_Frank

I would say not. I'm invested in the story but the scenario writing and some plot elements have taken a nose dive after the first few games. There are way better games if you want a decent narrative.

28. jacob.armitage

jacob.armitage
    Alive and well but living only in theory Moderator

Only to see how fascinatingly convoluted and messy it can get. The games are strange, but i'll say most are worthwhile and could be classified as games that are of more than a some of their parts, and almost always end up being quite charming, if not rather bizarre at times.

29. SaberX

SaberX

Nowadays? Not at all.

Current story its just a crazy, weird nonsense stuff that only fanboys/fangirls seems to defend regardless.

No. The game is worth for it's gameplay.

30. UsoEwin

UsoEwin

The story fell off a cliff as soon as Nobodies were introduced.

31. Weiss

Weiss

Kingdom Hearts' storyline became abject garbage around KHII. Stick with it for the amazing gameplay from the two numbered entries, which KHIII looks to be bringing in aplomb.

32. PSqueak

PSqueak

Nope.

You play kingdom hearts for 3 reasons:

-Decent gameplay that does its job
    -Gorgeous Disney worlds
    -The sweet sweet music of Yoko Shimomura

And frankly, you don't need any other reason.

33. KanameYuuki

KanameYuuki

I love Kingdom Hearts, but I wouldn't say the story is a masterpiece, I don't understand why people make such fuzz about its complexity, but I have played them all so I guess I know the important info. You should always try to get every Ansem report and read them, those are supper important.

What KH has is an amazing gameplay and really likeable / lovable characters, everyone is a waifu and husbando and you can ship everything there is.

34. Fj0823

Fj0823

Its the good kind of crazy

35. PhazonBlonde

PhazonBlonde

OH GOD YES. The story is the best part! Just strap yourself in and enjoy Mr. Nomura's Wild Ride! Just fucking wait until you find out about the difference between a X(chi)blade and a KEYblade. WILD

You make that sound like it's a bad thing :P

36. dolce-vita

dolce-vita

37. ♡♪!?

♡♪!?

I like the first game's story, simpler and sweeter. Kingdom Hearts 2 moves far away from the Disney feel with the edgy Organisation XIII but still has some sweet moments. I lost it somewhere between Birth by Sleep's and all the time travel/dreams worlds of KH 3D. Simply I would say it's a mixed bag.

38. Soul Skater

Soul Skater

Just watch this instead it sums everything up pretty well

39. Cyberninja776

Cyberninja776

The story is perfectly fine, but an important thing is to make any sense of it you have to play every game because nothing is just a "spinoff". If you enjoy anime then you can have fun with it, just remember not to take anything to seriously. So to answer the question I'd say yes.

40. I love the story. But it's more about the emotion and spectacle than the specifics. I look at it more like mythology or like a tone poem or something.

41. Tali'Zorah

Tali'Zorah

Yeah, it's bonkers but in a way that's kinda brilliant at the same time. Messy, ridiculous, but amazing. I understand why some people don't like it though, it really is one of those things where you either get it and get fully invested or you don't and you hate it I find

42. Yeah, but only if you like that kind of convoluted shounen drama. I do.

If you really want to get into it, pick a character, get invested in them, and see how their story goes. I like Xion, for example, and I want to know how her story ends.

Look this video recap, it's about Xion, her story is only a part of Kingdom Hearts but can give you a picture of the large story beats of the series currently (But big spoilers for the second game):

43. ckareset

ckareset

No, because there are too many games on too many systems.

The story isnt great self contained either

44. Kurumi

Kurumi

You want to play KH for the story? Woo boy. Well sit down and prepare yourself OP if you do.

45. Nickgia

Nickgia

1 - yes
    Chain of Memories - yes
    2 and onward- nope

46. Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

There are two collections that can be played right now on the PlayStation 4. "Too many games on too many systems" may have been a problem in the past, but that has not been an issue for over a year now.

47. Tali'Zorah

Tali'Zorah

This is less of an issue now 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 are available on PS4 - you can get the entire story on one system now and be fully caught up for 3.

48. Alastor3

Alastor3
    Member OP

ahah thanks for the recommendations, I've decided I will still give it a shot. So I understand the second game is way better than the first one?

49. Mattakuevan

Mattakuevan

The story will drive you mad.