Oakwood Cemetery Records

Share the history
  • 3

Oakwood Cemetery in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

The first cemetery in what is now the City of Cuyahoga Falls was located where the Union (East) School once stood (near what is now Germaine Street). The graves were later moved to Oakwood Cemetery that was officially established in 1834.

Before the Village of Cuyahoga Falls was incorporated, a pioneer resident, Henry Wetmore, donated a ten acre plot of woodland for the purpose of a burial ground that became Oakwood Cemetery .

Residents of the village and townships (Portage, Stow, Northampton and Tallmadge) from which the village was incorporated received free burial lots. They were given with the understanding that any work needed in grading, seeding, etc., would be provided by lot owners.

An incomplete record of burials exists from 1838 to 1922. From then on, a complete record has been kept. Burials that existed before 1838 were not recorded; however some had readable epitaphs that allowed documenting years later.

On May 5th, 1888 a group of ladies decided to organize and beautify the town’s burial grounds with the consent of the Village Council. They named their organization The Ladies Cemetery Association of Oakwood Cemetery. This association is still in existence today. Over the years they have planted trees and flowers, had a chapel built, a windmill placed and even dug a lily pond.

In 1922 when Cuyahoga Falls was incorporated into a city, five more acres were added so that it abutted Oakwood Avenue. Ten acres were again added in 1928, which in turn, connected the old Oakwood without a dividing line and a new entranced was added. It was at this time the paths were widened into drives making way for the new automobiles instead of the congested narrow paths of the horse and buggy days.

Oakwood Cemetery is considered one of the most beautiful cemeteries in Ohio, especially with the rhododendron bushes and the 200 year old trees, many being oak from which the cemetery derived its name. The Ladies Cemetery Association planted many more oaks and bushes and continues to place flowers each and every year.

Over the years the grounds have changed and things added and removed. Today, Oakwood Cemetery on Oakwood Drive comprises about 26 acres and is well known for its natural beauty, particularly the magnificent rhododendrons in the Spring.

Old Burial Ground (where Union School was later built)

Burials removed to Oakwood Cemetery after 1834.

Upson, Burton 1810 – Sec 2, Lot 882

Fitts, O. W. 8/14/1811 – 5,855

Moulton, Francis 10/1/1811 – 1,727

Wadsworth, Huldah 2/2/1812 – 1,556

Wadsworth, Sarah 2/12/1812 – 1,556

Radcliffe, William 2/13/1812 – 1,576

Wagoner, John 9/8/1813 – 5,938

Perkins, Harriet 1815 – 38,94

Bradley, Esther 1816 – 1,768

Cox, Julia (wife of Alonzo) 1816 – 38,9

Waters, J 8/16/1816 – 1,738

Gilbert, Lucian DeLas 7/2/1817 – 5,981

James, Israel 7/16/1817 – 1,612

Wadsworth, Appollos 11/16/1817 – 1,556

Buchnan, Malvina 2/11/1818 – 5,898

Horton, Mary 7/8/1818 – 1,745

Weic, George 1819 – 4,624

Williams, Deanna 3/9/1819 – 5,987

Hammontree, Horace 2/2/1819 – 4,626

Hammontree William 2/17/1819 – 4,626

Fosdick, Epenetus 4/2/1820 – 2,656

Nelson, J. H. 1824 – 5,977

 Lowry, Catherine 6/10/1829 – 2,812

Turner, Thomas 1832 – 2,882

Moon, Elmer 7/13/1833 – 6,69


First Oakwood Cemetery Burial

Eadie, James 5/29/1834 – 1,539