1. Nor is vapour lock

2. FrostyLemon

FrostyLemon

I disagree, It's the top story on the Nintendo Switch Reddit and if you type in Dead Cells into Google 2/3 stories are covering this scandal. I think IGN will fire him and deservedly so.

3. Plagiarism is like the cardinal sin of any professional writing situation. You basically become untouchable if you get caught and it's so easy to get caught when you have the collective oversight of the internet involved.

It's basically the most foolish nuclear option. He could have delayed the review if he was under so much pressure if we follow along your made up scenario. That's still better than stealing from someone else's content.

4. Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Because plagiarism isn't making a bad decision. In a job where reputation is everything, throwing that reputation away is everything. You have never seen a journalist of any kind getting caught plagiarising and then given the chance to do it multiple times after in the same job. Recurrent behaviour my ass lol.

5. Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but here’s executive editor of reviews Dan Stapleton from IGN lmao

6. merchantdude

merchantdude

If you are a journalist and you choose to sell your integrity and start plagiarizing at least edit the text a bit. This is blatant af lol

7. LAM09

LAM09

They clearly haven't learnt

8. i-Lo

i-Lo

It always baffles me how people think that there should not be consequences for ethics violations in journalism based in video games because it is "video game". It is as if some people are still stuck in the 1970s and think it is "kids' stuff" and is utterly inconsiderate of what the medium has achieved and what they are monetarily and culturally worth today.

9. iscodisco93

iscodisco93

that is fireable offense

10. DumpsterJuice

DumpsterJuice

He's gone. I just wonder how bad he wrecked his career. Hopefully he can recover and move on.

11. tadale

tadale

Not-so-subtle way of dodging blame.

12. Khrol

Khrol

What a damn idiot. Kinda funny that he stole content from the very place that's making mainstream media more and more irrelevant every day though.

13. Ctlead

Ctlead

Plagiarism in any case is unacceptable. Doesn't matter his reason for it.

14. Lackless

Lackless

Why are people acting like an IGN editor is a full-time job? I think a lot of people are overestimating how much these editors make. He definitely has another job that's his main source of revenue.

With that said, IGN should stop working with him. Not only becuase he plagiarized, but also becuase whatever he reviews now will be the butt of a joke. He has no more use for the site.

15. TheLostBigBoss

TheLostBigBoss
    One day my GVT will be worth millions Member

In journalism if you plagiarize an entire article you lose your job.

It's beyond unethical, and people who usually have a history of doing it which is only found later during investigations.

16. Windrunner

Windrunner

It's a Poe.

17. CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths

Since like 50 people in this thread have used the word "journalism," I feel it should be pointed out that a video game review is not journalism. Not that it makes a difference when it comes to appropriate punitive action for plagiarism.

18. ViewtifulJC

ViewtifulJC

ruin ya life over dead cells brehs

19. Um, no? What are you talking about? That's definitely a full-time job.

20. I motion for a “boys will be boys”

21. Dark1x

Dark1x
    Digital Foundry Verafied

What? You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I know the work I'm doing now requires dramatically more time investment than all my years doing programming and IT work (which I did for more than a decade prior). Do you really think the workload is so low for this stuff?

I'm often working 6 to 7 days a week just to keep up and often 10-12 hours a day during the busy times. I just did that last week, actually, again.

22. shaneo632

shaneo632

As someone who writes for a living and has seen several scandals like this before I do feel a certain degree of sympathy for the guy, even if it was an insanely dumb thing to do and he's probably torpedoed his career for at least the next 5 years, and he'll need to work his ass off in the (possibly unpaid) doldrums to fix his rep.

The main problem seems to be the same among people I've spoken to about it; tight deadlines with a focus on being the first past the finish line, a ridiculous amount of pressure from higher-ups who don't understand or care how long something takes and a lack of compensation for time spent on said task (especially in games journalism where a lot of outlets basically won't pay you to play the game because it's "fun").

In previous jobs I've completed tasks fast and my editors have basically rubbed their hands and assumed I can do 25% more work next week. It gets very dehumanising and hard to say no when you're in a spot 1000s of people would kill for.

Again, trying to pull this sort of thing at IGN of all places is just mind-boggling, but I can appreciate how insane levels of stress and anxiety about your job can lead you to make a very irrational decision.

23. Eggiem

Eggiem

Deader cells.

24. Raide

Raide

He will probably have to move away from journalism since plagiarism is a black mark for anyone's career.

25. Nightfall

Nightfall

I don't get the people defending him. This is a pretty clear case.
    The wording is almost 1:1 the same and even the order and timestamps in the video match up.

There's nothing to defend. He should have to resign. His journalistic integrity is gone and IGN wouldn't look that good if they'd just try to bury it.

26. Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

And if they don't terminate his position, how can I trust an outlet that doesn't give a shit about their people plagiarising others.

27. Harald23

Harald23

What?

He's not just a review editor for videogames but also accessories and other stuffs, possibly also guides if he does that, he's the person they send at nintendo events for the press, and he also has to manage the weekly podcast.

Pretty sure that's a full time job.

28. eot

eot

I used to always think that the left guy made the thing, and the right guy was like "no, now I made this", but I realise the right guy actually did make it. I think the other reading is funnier though.

29. Vesper

Vesper

I'm convinced the people downplaying this never went to college or even high school and took an english class. Shit is not a joke.

30. what

31. Apathy

Apathy

How lazy and stupid do you have to be to plagiarize a fucking game review on ign of all places.

32. Nitpicker_Red

Nitpicker_Red

Top three informative posts in the thread for posts that come up frequently:

Transcript of the compared parts for people that don't look at the comparative video:
    Link to the press kit for the "both might be based on the press kit" scepticals:
    For the "he didn't even play the game" people:

33. Smellycat

Smellycat

LOL

He even used a thesaurus to change "rewarding" to "gratifying"

34. Mesoian

Mesoian

LOL you have no idea what you're talking about.

35. That's actually fairly ironic

36. They could always change what he does to something behind the scenes that doesn’t involve writing

37. merchantdude

merchantdude

In journalism plagiarizing a whole article/review isn't just a mistake. It's often a career ending mistake.

38. Proteus

Proteus

IGN Editor is a full time job. I freelanced for IGN for years. The editors I dealt with were full time, salaried, positions.

I agree though, there is no room for plagiarism.

39. RunesmithCaryll

RunesmithCaryll
    PlayStation EU Verafied

As a fellow content producer, I'm frankly baffled at the quality and amount of content you create John - I just finished watching your DF Retro on water simulation through the years and was really impressed with the depth of research, quality of writing and overall production.

40. Aprikurt

Aprikurt

The thing is, plagiarism is so unbelievably easy to catch out these days. I don’t know what the thought process going into this was really.

41. test_account

test_account

Thats how i also read it :)

42. Mezentine

Mezentine

That video is wildly damning

43. 1000% H

1000% H

Holy shit, this is the first time I ever even considered that the right guy made it.

44. dtraposo

dtraposo

If what you're suggesting is that the editor who edited the writer's review should have had to look at every single YouTube review of Dead Cells before IGN's review went live just in case of plagiarism: you do not understand what you are saying or how editorial works. This is completely on the writer, though it would seem that both the IGN review and the YouTuber's review were just rewrites of a press release.

45. henlo_birb

henlo_birb

He's not for me when it comes to that podcast. I miss Jose. I stopped listening a few weeks after Filip joined because he didn't feel genuine to me. He very well could be -- I don't know him. Just my experience. Still love Peer.

46. Ctlead

Ctlead

Wow, really? Huh.

47. Smellycat

Smellycat

O.o. You just blew my mind. I always thought the left guy made it

48. Nitpicker_Red

Nitpicker_Red

No.

49. Bobo Dakes

Bobo Dakes

It just rubbed me the wrong way because it reminds me of when I’m at work and offer help to people who I know will say no just to appear more helpful and nicer than I actually am. And it works. And it worked here.

50. joylevel11

joylevel11

no doubt about it for me. it's straight up plagiarism. i don't like to call for people to get fired but why would you want someone like this to work for you? I think IGN should fire him but that's up to them to decide after their investigation.