Resource Hi-Res Pokemon Sprite Project
[Image: pbGZuED.png]
Credits to Atomic Reactor for this awesome banner!
A BIG special thanks to the folks at Smogon for their Pokemon XY / Kalos, BW-styled sprites. You can find those here, The Smogon XY Sprite Project.
You CAN use the sprites in this project! Just give credit to the Relic Castle Hi-Resolution Sprite Project! No need to hunt everyone's names down, this is a collective project and we ought to be credited as such! :> So yeah, don't worry about crediting every individual person.

[Image: hi_res_animated_snivy_by_speedxaaa-d8vjd80.gif]  [Image: hi_res_animated_servine_by_speedxaaa-d8vjdfm.gif]  [Image: hi_res_bw_serperior_by_speedxaaa-d9d5f6z.png]

So WTF Are High Resolution Sprites?

And speaking of which, what ARE all of these HD sprites? It's simple: I just choose any Pokemon sprite, enlarge it, trace over it, shade it to mimic the shading of the original and then BAM! Done. Of course, it's more than just a matter of smoothing things out.

See, in the smaller Pokemon sprites sometimes details have to be sacrificed in order to give the sprite more readability: as in, being able to understand what all is going on. Some Pokemon just have too many details to fit into a tiny 90x90 pixel box, and they have to sacrifice some of those details. It's really important to reference off of the official artwork in order to see what details had to be left out, and it's your job to make sure they basically have the same proportions as the art. You can find a few tutorials at the bottom of the post; they'll explain things in more detail if you still don't know what's going on!

Rules! And Things to Remember.

1. The main focus of this project is to be a resource for high-resolution Pokemon Black and White sprites. Other generation sprites are allowed and WILL be added, they just won't be added to the BW list, which is the one I'd like to focus on the most. :o Black and White-styled high resolution sprites will be critiqued / quality controlled (by me) with more priority than else. ^^; Gen IV sprites, custom sprites, and the like are definitely accepted, too, but they all will be added to their corresponding list! This has nothing to do with anything other than me being a complete organization freak. For some Gen IV sprites, though, that are almost the same as the BW, will still be quality-controlled and such so that you still have at least ONE high-quality sprite for a Pokemon, even if it's BW sprite hasn't been done! Just make sure that, no matter what method you use (because we all do things differently), it is consistent with the official size, color, shading style, pose, etc (of whichever sprite you decided to base it on). That being said, in the case of Gen IV sprites being identical to Gen V sprites--minus the pose--you can totally opt to try to make a backsprite for that pose from scratch. It will be listed as an alternate back sprite!
  2. Critiquing, quality control, and edits can be done by everyone and anyone! c: Even if you don't think you "have authority" on a subject matter, who cares? Feedback is important and it doesn't matter where it comes from. Something bugging you about a submission that you just HAVE to let out? Please do! Additionally, feel free to help me with QC'ing QC'able sprites if you want to! Doing any of these things makes things much easier on me. ^^; Every little bit helps, guys! :D
  3. Please try to refrain from using PMD sprites for overworlds; they're typically too big and the style doesn't really match.. D: If you're opting for the tracing method, your best bet is to use official HeartGold and SoulSilver ones. Which leads me to my next point:
  4. If you're opting for the tracing method and want to use fan-made sprites, please make sure that you have the appropriate permission from the creator. The shading style also needs to follow the overall BW style (if you're submitting it to the BW list, anyway). In the spreadsheet, certain fields are colored light red: this means that there are no official--or finalized Smogon sprites--to use as a base. You can always opt to using a base that you feel looks good (again, if permission is somehow granted to you), or you can make it on your own. Additionally, do be careful with the sprite sizes when or if you make these, because it's much too easy to make it too big or too small. Use other sprites and the Pokemon's canon height for reference.
  5. Adding gender differences and/or shiny palettes are always appreciated, but might not always be ideal depending on if your original sprite will need to be fixed or not. Just use your own discretion!
  6. If you're kinda unsure about how well you're doing, just post up your progress anyhow! I really enjoy giving constructive criticism to help you improve. After all, it's all about trial and error! Anyone is welcome to give C+C, as I stated earlier. It usually takes me a while to get around to critiquing things.
  7. I have no problem if you get excited and want to contribute a lot of sprites. Please just remember, however, that if you end up (after getting crits) having a lot of major problems that need to be fixed, do your best to fix those problems instead of ignoring them and going on to something new. This is so that you learn / understand what mistake you made for future reference, and for the sake of efficiency! If a critique is not responded to and an update isn't posted within about two to four weeks, it will be open for quality control.
  8. There is no crazy reservation system in the works for this project any time soon. If you're afraid someone else is going to finish one you want to do first, just let everyone know!
  9. Make sure to check the below lists before you start on a Pokemon, as they will tell you which ones have been finished and which ones are being worked on. If it's not there, chances are it's free game! I do try to keep the list updated, but sometimes I'm slow.

There's So Many To Choose From! Where Do I Start?!

To give you guys a hand, I took a little bit of time to actually go through the entire Pokedex from Kanto to Unova to find which Pokemon designs are more simple, and which ones are more complex. That way, if you're not too confident in your skills, you can use this as a guide and try a Pokemon from the Simple group! :D These are in no way perfect, I just tried to use my best judgment. xD These don't take size into consideration, just how detailed each Pokemon's design is! :O

AUGH! These Look So Complicated! How Do I Make One?

There are many ways to make these kinds of pixel-overs / sprites. The following two tutorials detail two different methods.

Spoilered for large post content.

But How Do I Pixel Art?

I can't exactly help you there, but I will link you to some awesome guides. You don't have to read these in full, these are just all here for your reference!
You can find all of the links I'm about to share here.

Pixel Joint Tutorials:
The Pixel Art Tutorial
Pixel Art Noobtorials (Incredibly helpful, short, and sweet little tutorials)
Various Tutorials

Gas13 Tutorials:
Handmade Anti-Aliasing Tutorial
So You Want To Be A Pixel Artist?

Tumblr Tutorials:
Derek Yu Pixel Art Tutorial

PXR Tutorials:
PXR Spriting Encyclopedia

Final Boss Blues Tutorials:
Pixel Tutorial Introduction
Thinking In Color
Read Between The Pixels
Form And Light

Also make sure to check DeviantART! :

The Complete List

Key:
Red = Needs to be critiqued
Blue = Needs to be QC'ed
Gold = Needs minor tweaks

What "minor tweaks" means is just that I have to go through it and correct a few things here and there before it's finalized; this means that the sprite is almost top-notch. Just needs some tweaks that are difficult for me to point out via crits because they're so minor. :> Submissions that are pretty much spot-on will automatically be labelled as this until I check over it! :> This won't be done until later on in the project. Or until I've got extra free time to do them!

B L A C K   /   W H I T E   (Main List!!!)

H E A R T G O L D   /   S O U L S I L V E R

P L A T I N U M

D I A M O N D   /  P E A R L

F I R E R E D  /  L E A F G R E E N

E M E R A L D

R U B Y  /  S A P P H I R E

Other Hi-res resources!

Approved! SpeedXaaa is taking over the High Res Pixel Project because she will probably be able to keep the main post updated better than I can, and she has done enough of these to know what she's talking about when it comes to quality pixel work. Thanks for wanting to keep on top of this Speed!

(Reposted to make things easier on you!)
I was wondering when it was going to happen! knocking ar down a peg

I didn't see Dragonite in the completed sprites list. So, here.
[Image: O29OGqN.png]

Also, if I could ask; what needs fixing in the Beedrill sprite?

(also, dibs on Combee/Vespiquen. Using gen 4 sprite base for Vespiquen.)

EDIT: speaking of Combee, I started on it. Definitely not perfect. Thoughts?
[Image: EISJZFn.png]

EDIT #2: couldn't wait. Started on Vespiquen. Got the lines and colour down.
[Image: VkOHi2H.png]

EDIT #3: shiny Beedrill! (because changing colour palettes is easy!)
[Image: IJsZR96.png]

EDIT #4: shiny Luvdisc! (again, changing palettes is easy.)
[Image: UCYZ7aC.png]

EDIT #5: shiny Combee, and Vespiquen finished. (really like what I did on the Vespiquen.)
[Image: ED6sY1s.png]
[Image: PIViLqs.png]
[Image: rrMNxyv.png]

(It just occurred to me that I'm doing all the bee Pokemon...)
(Sorry for all these edits. I don't feel like clogging the thread with posts.)
Dibs on blaziken & charizard
@haxahedron: looking decent so far, watch the shapes of your curves because a lot of the then are getting slightly jagged, and try to keep the orange section around their faces a consistent width around the whole body.
Do something with those blotches of dark yellow in the bottom-left corner of each face because it looks messy atm, I see what they were going for on the original lines but that should be done sparingly.
I think the angles of the lines in the back (top and bottom) can be doing with tweaking slightly, combee's body is a very geometric design you can use straight lines on (as well as the shading on the hexagonal segments). Be careful with the perspective on the orange circle where the wings come out, I think we can make it thinner now we have more space to draw in.
Also the grey shade on the tips of each wing doesn't look right.
I think it would be better to have the Pokemon displayed like they were before other than the links. I like browsing through them, which is annoying when you have to open a new page just to look at a single Sprite. Also, what was wrong with my Butterfree Sprite? I agree that Hoppip and Sentret need some work, but I didn't think there was much wrong with Butterfree.
So here is my Phanpy sprite again, and i made the backsprite, too.
I hope i could get some feedback now ;-)
[Image: Phanpy_HR.png]

I have a problem with the back in the backsprite, I tried some fixes, but everything looked bad...
(10-30-2015, 04:07 AM)Chai-Tao Wrote: So here is my Phanpy sprite again, and i made the backsprite, too.
I hope i could get some feedback now ;-)
[Image: Phanpy_HR.png]

I have a problem with the back in the backsprite, I tried some fixes, but everything looked bad...
That's not a bad sprite! I cant draw right now as I'm on my phone but I will point out what I can here:

-the mouth should be a little narrower and dip slightly lower
-the pixels around the top of its ear on the front imply there should be a faint line that extends into the head as it meets the head, as well as where the tail meets the top of the body
-the tail should jutt out of the body a little on the backsprite - imagine a smooth line connecting the leg to the back where the tail is placed on top
Wow, nice. I love how you color coded the list so people can compare. Sorry for not really being able to do much for a while. I don't know, I might want to take more time on Venusaur so that's why it's taking so long, and the fact that I'm pretty busy with life and it's hard to get a day to sit down for an hour or so.
Sprites listed as "perfect" (not in need of fixing) should have a more distinct text-color in the spritelist, because it's kind of hard to see if it's brown or orange right now.

More sprites and fixups will come from me soon. Smile