1. Socreges

Socreges

Is it because the Metacritic score is much higher for Zelda? Weird place for people to be complaining about BOTW

Scores are still great! Only consistent knock I've seen is the overworld being repetitive or detached, but I'd imagine creating an immersive New York would be quite difficult. The game sounds amazing otherwise.

2. PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Hmm. This goes exactly like the poll. So much expected. Really nice.

3. Shark

Shark

The Mary Jane stuff is so positive and making me so happy. What Bryan Intihar said in that Game Informer interview about her 'surprising a lot of people' seems to have come true.
    There aren't mixed signals.

4. Wagram

Wagram

You can climb anything though. Changes everything.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Review scores/aggregates once again proving how worthless they are at dictating a games quality. Every reviewers metric is different, why we still put so much weight into them is beyond me.

6. rahji

rahji

So is it a good game or not? Some of the posts here suggest that it is not good enough while the majority says it is.
    The scores seem not reliable since major reviewers opt out of giving scores.
    I guess I have to find out for myself. A lot of buzz in this thread here.

7. Falconbox

Falconbox

"Make sure you fast-travel/ride the subway after major turning points."

I wonder if the cutscene of Spidey on the subway changes. Good to know. I was going to skip the fast-travel.

8. StealthieOne

StealthieOne

You referring to zelda or spiderman?

9. xxracerxx

xxracerxx

What mixed signals? Seems overly positive.

10. Psychoward

Psychoward

Im adsuming its just radio updates and the like, like Mass Effect 1 or Andromeda

11. Flips

Flips

See 6)

12. CorrisD

CorrisD

Sounds pretty great to me, I can’t wait. Got the whole weekend off coming up, and the wife is out pretty much the whole time, it’s all Spider-Man time for me.

It’s down to the industry skewing scores massively to one end of the scale.

When the worst of the worst, broken, unplayable mess of a game end up with score of 5, a good game getting an 8 to some seems like a failure. This isn’t new either, it’s almost always been like this for gaming for some reason, unlike the film industry which lives on mostly a 5/5 scale and can sit quite comfortable with a 3/5 as a mediocre to good film to go see. Also having scores out of “10” doesn’t help, such arbitrary numbers when the scale isn’t used properly.

It also doesn’t help that this is an exclusive, it puts the game in the sights of those who will use any reason to bring down what they see as competition to their platforms of preference.

13. xxracerxx

xxracerxx

Read the reviews?

14. ViewtifulJC

ViewtifulJC

I think the main thing i learned from this thread is that this game definitely isn’t as good as BotW

15. XandBosch

XandBosch

Zelda. Psyched for Spidey tho!

16. Bundy

Bundy

Yo guys, cut that Zelda BOTW talk out.

17. Very impressive reviews... for a niche game.

18. Violence Jack

Violence Jack

Sounds like I might actually take the time to platinum this game.

19. Primethius

Primethius

Zelda comparisons should be bannable tbh.

Some people still salty af over its reception.

20. Papacheeks

Papacheeks

If only it adhered to a higher greatness other games are able to acquire from another Console.

21. XandBosch

XandBosch

When I could be web-slinging as Spider-Man?

No thanks.

22. Trey

Trey

Greatest of all time.

23. Ravelle

Ravelle

I would settle for a " Maaaan, this game is fucking awesome" from brad on the Bombcast.

24. Syed Ahmad

Syed Ahmad

Do you still think it can match GOW's opening sales?

25. Git

Git

I am surprised this is the first time I'm seeing this in this thread xD

26. chezzymann

chezzymann

I think the biggest part of that is that if a game is fun and doesnt have much annoying parts it can get 80+. While,with a movie it would have to bring something interesting and unique to the narrative to score that high, not just be well made fun like the marvel movies (usually) are.

Basically, games score higher cause theyre mostly reviewed like toys, not art.

27. Breqesk

Breqesk

Yeah. I'd love it if they pulled some Spider-Verse shenanigans for the DLC and brought in Spider-Gwen, too--it's so good to hear they're doing a good job with MJ and others.

(Or, heck, there's no reason why this universe's Gwen can't be a hero, if they're willing to make the appropriate adjustments to her and Peter's backstories.)

28. scottbeowulf

scottbeowulf

I'm so down with all the Easter eggs and collecting shit when it's in a great open world. Gonna be like Crackdown/GTA.

29. Raijinto

Raijinto

Nah, it's the GOAT.

Edit: just seen the justified warning, will consider the matter done then.

30. Ryengeku

Ryengeku

That'll be another poll thread in the coming days.

31. Phendrift

Phendrift

Anyway this game looks fun as hell and the reviews show it

I’ve recently gotten into marvel so it’s a buy at some point this year

Would’ve been day 1 if Tom Holland was voicing though <3

32. Euler007

Euler007

I'm ready to bet reviews with the lowest scores got the most clicks. For kicks I entered the values in excel.
    Average is 87.98 (seems MC rounds down)
    Median is 90, and 90 is also the most common score
    Standard deviation is 7.3. I iterated by excluding scores past 3 standard deviation and ended with 5.1 standard deviation. Average excluding outliers is 89.3, not a huge difference. The outlier score don't have a huge impact.

33. Renfran

Renfran

Spider-Man doesn't need to score in the vein of GoW. Not sure what people were expecting.

It just needed to be a GOOD Spider-Man game, anything above an 80 is just that, finally so it can make a blueprint for the sequel and franchise could finally have ground like Batman, which never had a good game before Arkham either. Days Gone is also going to score in the 80s. The next 90+ from Sony is Last of Us 2 next year. Death Stranding is Kojima and he always delivers so I'm gonna go with 90+ for him too. Ghost and Dreams could go either way, but I'm gonna say high 80s like Spidey\Horion for Ghost to sharpen for a sequel and since it's a new IP, and Dreams could easily be a 90+ game due to Media Molecule's history.

You gotta treat each game appropriately. Not every game is going to be GoW and that's fine because it doesn't need to be.

34. chefbags

chefbags

Yes. On Reddit someone posted that the GameSpot spoils something big and I believe ign does as well. Don't watch it.

35. Cokesouls

Cokesouls

That is actually a really good realization. There's lots of 90+ games that, to me, only seem to have gotten these scores because they're beloved properties.
    Just goes to show that these scores are pretty meaningless in the long end.

36. CattleCalypto

CattleCalypto

Yeah people expecting this to beat god of war was unrealistic. The only other game that has a chance at surpassing god of war this year is red dead.

37. Memento

Memento

87 MC is a great fucking score, get out of your high horses guys.

Nier Automata is 88. Horizon Zero Dawn is 89. Nioh is 88.

All fantastic, GOTY contenders games from this gen.

Stop acting like if the game isnt 90+ it is utter trash.

There are like 5 AAA games THIS ENTIRE GENERATION that got 90+. This gen is way harsher. 87MC is great.

38. DecoReturns

DecoReturns

Yeah. Reason why I rarely read the comments. Usually just check the links to the reviews.

When I do read the comments. It’s becuse we have reviewers adding more insight, but sometimes it’s not worth finding their posts with all the nonsense in between.

39. Mister X

Mister X

Let's be real, BOTW is a great game but not a 97.

It's like saying GTA 4 is also worthy of a 98.

GTA and Zelda both have incredible hype machines behind them.

Anyway, Spider man looks incredible.

40. Playco Armboy

Playco Armboy

Lmao 'for kicks'

41. Strat

Strat

It sucks this game is exclusive to a single console, because I think it's muddying the discussion a lot. The hype around a Spider-Man game scoring like this would be a joyous occasion in most circumstances, but because it also have to check some boxes for console warriors there's a lot more anger and passive aggressive bullshit. We haven't had a great Spider-Man game in forever! EMBRACE IT!!!!!

42. Eatin' Olives

Eatin' Olives

There is no use an demanding what "exactly" I want, because if I demand a specific thing then every other game doesn't do exactly that will be a disappointment. I maintain an open mind about new mechanics and ways to reshape the genre because otherwise everything will be disappointing.

In terms of a "wishlist" in an open-world game, specifically for superhero games, I've always wanted to see a game that shakes up the formula with respect to mission structure. More specifically, I'd love to see a game that treats its villains not as a mission enemy or a mission boss, but rather an independent agent within the open-world structure that has its own motivations and performs actions independently, both as a reaction to what the player is doing or as a pre-emptive strike. I'd like to see villains that pop up unexpectedly, at different times that the player may not anticipate, as the villain hatches schemes throughout the city based on character-specific parameters (one villain might be stealing from a bank to fund his ridiculous doomsday device: if he's successful in getting away, the next time you see him he's trying to fire up said doomsday device he's now built). A game where its villains operate independently (or perhaps even collaborate) from the game's established linear mission structure would make the world feel far more alive and involved than a series of missions or lightly procedurally-generated side activities.

Again, this is just one example, one that would work with a superhero open world game but not with BOTW, just like how BOTW's open traversal system and exploration-heavy design works specifically for a Zelda game but not others. I still think Spider-Man PS4 is going to be fun for what it is, but I'm thirsty for for the next evolutionary step.

43. Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Metacritic has a weighting system so some reviews affect the score more than others.

44. Jiggy

Jiggy

Enemy bases, collectibles, towers, the gang's all here

This game is lucky it has the Ben Reilly suit

So I'll give them a pass on the Ubisoft nonsense

Just this once

45. NLCPRESIDENT

NLCPRESIDENT

Lol hell yea! It definitely has the potential. Horizon maxed out at 87 and you know that sold amazingly well. This game is going to do numbers

46. Brock Reiher

Brock Reiher

The difference between an 88 and an 89 is the difference between a Classic and Trash

47. Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden
    Managing Editor at WWG Verafied

There are a few things specifically outlined in Sony's spoiler guidelines that a few outlets have seemingly ignored. One of them I assume is getting ignored because it's revealed so early in the game, and the other is being ignored because it's not a story-related or character spoiler, just a fun scene. Both are worth discovering for yourselves, IMHO. I wouldn't watch any videos (including the digital foundry analysis, which is excellent by the way!) until after you spend a day or two with the game.

48. Qwark

Qwark

It is! It's called Trypophobia, it involves clustered patterns like honeycombs. Google at your own risk, you're going to see a lot of visual examples.

49. Astandahl

Astandahl

Uh? In a word post BOTW no open world game will be able to score higher than 90. RDR2 is dead on arrival. R* and CDPR are packing up as we speak.

50. Phendrift

Phendrift

Yeah people don’t realize how hard a 94 is to get. God of War has almost unanimous 9+ scores.

RDR2 could do it if the Single Player is good, Smash too (Smash 4 Wii U had a 92 with its absolute trash single player modes, Ultimate looks to be better in every way)

51. Papercuts

Papercuts

Ah yes, I do this for kicks all the time as well.