5. Servbot24

Servbot24

So much whataboutism on the talk shows today

6. lenovox1

lenovox1

Nike is based in Oregon.

7. trikster40

trikster40

I think he’s got the respect, just not the job. I’m guessing that dream is over. Hoping this campaign ad will get kids and athletes to realize it’s more than just about a paycheck and it’s not worth gaining everything if you have to compromise your principles.

8. Socreges

Socreges

Very interesting.

And you're misrepresenting the reaction from people. Obviously Nike isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a calculated move to enter this debate on one side. Either way I'm personally grateful and encouraged to support them. At a minimum I'm talking about them in a neutral or positive way.

9. TheMango55

TheMango55

Not as many angry people on my facebook as I suspected, but still a few.

10. Slayven

Slayven
    You probably post about me on another board. Moderator

What company was it that said they would sign him in a minute if he was on a team?

11. Forearm_Star

Forearm_Star

Wasn't it adidas

12. Merv

Merv

I've seen some cut socks and burning sneakers, but nothing that looked decent.. Anybody destroy anything of value? My sister in law is conservative and posting anti-Nike stuff, but has a closet full of Converse. I posted a comment on my timeline, not at her, but trying to elicit a response.

Also seeing a lot of Pat Tillman post's, I just respond with the article about his wife saying "don't do it".

For the people that say he's not playing, because of his ability I post some Chart Party.

13. thefit

thefit

The right really doesn't want to go down this road because the events of his death aren't gonna get them any sympathy.

14. Dishwalla

Dishwalla

surely you told her Converse is owned by Nike.

15. It can't, because if the point is that Nike truly cared about standing behind Kaepernick, then they should have stood by him during his original endorsement deal instead of basically putting him in marketing purgatory for two years, and mulling over his extensions. Yes, I'm well aware of Kaepernick's performance in the NFL and how that would warrant a global brand having second thoughts, but they did what other companies and the NFL did, and basically caved when it came to Kaepernick's protests causing controversy.

In fact, Nike had no problems standing behind Tiger Woods during the time that his sex scandals were revealed to the public, AND after his DUI crime. They had no problems keeping Kobe Bryant's endorsement deal intact during the time that he was accused of raping a woman. It's only when Kaepernick stood up for what he believed in, that Nike had second thoughts instead of doing what they did with their marquee guys, and they had far worse image problems than Kaepernick did. The fact that it took Adidas and Puma knocking on the door speaks for itself.

Do they? From talking heads on news media to people ITT, I've seen a lot of praise for Nike while ignoring some of the more problematic context behind this deal as well as how Nike treated Kaepernick in relation to how they treat their other marquee players. In fact, I don't see a lot of people bringing up the hypocrisy of Nike using social justice as a marketing tool when they are responsible for the crap they inflict on poor countries by exploiting their cheap labour.

16. Merv

Merv

For now I'm trying to keep it low key, I just posted it in my timeline, which she should see. I want to see if she responds before I flat out tell her.

17. I don't understand what all the butt hurt is about marketing his message. Isn't that the foundation of advertising. Advertise and exploit peoples feels to make them fall in love for product.

18. linkboy

linkboy

I wasn't referencing Nike, I was referencing Trump.

19. AkumaNiko

AkumaNiko

oh i remember back in the day when tales of vesperia announced a "complete" edition with new character and story add on just for playstation and people were cracking their x360 game disks.

20. AkumaNiko

AkumaNiko

. double post sry

21. Nicktals

Nicktals

They don't truly care about kap. Or tiger or kobe. They care about making money. I like that they're giving money and notoriety to someone who was blacklisted for standing up (so to speak) for an important cause.

And yes, it can. It feels good to me. Feels good to a lot of people it seems.

EDIT: To sum it up, would I rather kap be blacklisted by NFL, not utilized/picked up by nike and not have his face publicized, or would I prefer he be blacklisted by the NFL but be paid by nike, kept in the public eye, and given an extended platform to share his message.

Seems easy to me.

22. Kinvara

Kinvara

I saw one of my coworkers post the Pat Tillman version of the Nike ad.

I think I need to go back and make my FB for close friends only. I don't think I want to know the politics of anyone that I work with.

23. JeffG

JeffG

The Young Turks have an opinion on it

24. Randam

Randam

Yeah.
    Maybe Nike's intentions are the most truest, but the reaction sure are worth it

25. Maven

Maven

That's all this is. To make money

After discovering boost and ultraboost from Adidas I've switched. I have a couple pairs of Nike's on their last legs I am not going to replace them with another Nike product

Adidas is where it's at

26. Dead Prince

Dead Prince

was waiting for this to show up. trump with his words

27. They don't truly care and yet, two athletes with more negative imaging and marketing implications got treated better endorsements-wise than an athlete whose only message comprised of bringing attention to police brutality, and the hypocrisy of calling America a free country when black people continue to be gunned down by the police at a disproportionate rate, on top of exercising such force rather disproportionately.

Even if the point is that Nike is giving money, more notoriety and a platform for Kaepernick, that platform has long since been twisted and turned into a completely different beast. The same message he's shared at the NFL level won't be shared, especially if Nike is going to control what he says and how he gets to present it. It'll turn into exactly what you see, which is focusing on believing in yourself even if it means alienation and sacrifice.

That said, it doesn't sit right with me that a corporation is using Kaepernick and his notoriety as a means to sell more product.

28. Raxus

Raxus

In response to trump's tweet.

Incoming record Nike profits in.....

29. Surprised he's going there considering his "Nike pays me a lot of rent" comments yesterday.

30. Landawng

Landawng

Scumbag. This sack of shit just continues to embarrass himself and shame America with each passing day.

31. Enzom21

Enzom21

32. jdmonmou

jdmonmou

Van Lathan (the guy that confronted Kanye West on TMZ for his stupid slavery comment) has Jason Whitlock on his podcast this week to take him on about his messed up views on black athletes like Kaepernick and Lebron James doing activism.

https://soundcloud.com/redpillpodcast/029-whats-with-whitlock-w-jason-whitlock

Edit: If you have time I really encourage a listen. Things get heated about 50 min in when Van confronts Whitlock about Don Imus and how Whitlock's career rose when he criticized black hip hop instead of confronting Don Imus' racism when he made that nappy headed hoes comment.

33. hombremalo

hombremalo

Best move ever by Nike confirmed

34. F34R

F34R

Been sharing this on facebook today...

35. LogicAirForce

LogicAirForce

damn

36. He's such a dumbass, does he think the 5 or so instances of people stupidly burning their Nike clothing on Twitter, is proof that Nike is trending downwards?

I bet he also thinks Nike's stock going down is an indicator of people moving onto other brands, when it was really more of a NAFTA issue with trade barriers as Puma, and Adidas were also trending downwards.

37. rjinaz

rjinaz

So the idea of him kneeling instead of sitting, in part, came from a soldier that initially was pissed because of the perception of disrespecting the flag and suggested it? Had no idea. This video is great.

38. Slayven

Slayven
    You probably post about me on another board. Moderator

You too old for using this meme. Stop trying to be hip old man

39. vertigo

vertigo

Its hard for us patriotic americans with all these corporations supporting the liberal agenda and disrespecting our country. If this keeps going im going to have to destroy all of my shit.
    (/s, obvs)

40. LucidMomentum

LucidMomentum

While the parodies are funny, I kinda don't like them since they've mostly been in relation to negative characters (Thanos, Griffith, etc.) which has the connotation that Kapernick is similar.

However, the fact that one man has done so much to show us how fucked up this country's priorities are is incredible.

Like, it's gotten so far beyond Police Brutality at this point.

41. Orb

Orb

I don't need an army man to tell me that it's okay to peacefully protest, and the people who are racist fucks about it aren't going to be swayed by him either

42. RedMercury

RedMercury

A couple of responses from now-removed distant relatives on facebook.

I wonder how many of these people either have Confederate flags on their cars or clothes or have never complained about people flying that flag (prob all of them), you would think if they cared so much about patriotism they would be pretty pissed about that flag being used. they should be all gung-ho to get those statues down too considering the Confederacy literally tried to tear down our democracy.

43. F34R

F34R

Then it wasn't for you. ;) I posted it on facebook for some of my friends to see beyond the idea that he's disrespecting the military, the flag, etc.

44. Boke18

Boke18

45. jbug617

jbug617
    Member OP

46. Great ad.

47. This ad gave me chills. Great ad wow.

48. Nibel

Nibel
    Enfant terrible Administrator

49. Powdered Egg

Powdered Egg

No doubt Nike is in it for the money but as long as they are pissing off racists and people who lack critical thinking skills, I'm all in.

50. Trafalgar Law

Trafalgar Law

Smh they should have gone all the way with that bron line