1. Lol y’all wouldn’t last a minute in Twin Peaks if this is an open ending.

I didn’t think it was sloppy. The story is about the town. Not who is what. That’s all just a part of the town. You have to make your own conclusion with the pieces. That episode centered around Sissy Spacek was great, probably my favorite of the season.

2. Hyun Sai

Hyun Sai

I loved the finale. Last week explanation felt a little too light hearted. This was perfect.

I knew something was off when he watched one after the other the inmates in the cell, with a very slight smile

3. I'm sure everyone thought of the Twilight Zone episode where a man seeks shelter in a monastery and finds a man pleading to be let out of his cell. The monks say it is the devil and releasing him would spread horror to the world. They even show the episode on a tv earlier in the season. I hoped this meant they were signaling this was a different story.

but it seems like maybe it wasnt.

4. Burt

Burt

I'm alright with the ending. It wasn't fantastic -- way more threads left hanging than there need to be, and the idea that Evil Henry might've made everything up would be some straight up bullshit if true -- but the ambiguity fits well enough, and there's always hope that they improve next season.

5. TheIlliterati

TheIlliterati

I am assuming the weird casting of recognizable actors for minor roles may play into a second season. You could easily focus on any or all of these actors and characters in a completely new story since its a anthology and it would make the show feel much more lived in since they were around before.

6. kurahador

kurahador

Ambiguous ending can work if one of the point in contention wasn't "did the writer lied to us?".
    There's nothing to indicate either for eps 9.

7. jackal27

jackal27

Strange ending, but I enjoyed the show overall. After Twin Peaks I never go into these things expecting to have any questions answered and they still managed to satisfy a couple of my curiosities. I'm interested to see what the next season will look like.

8. Jarmel

Jarmel

lol Episode 9 was complete bullshit haha

9. Burt

Burt

I do think that there's an incredible amount of stuff that they failed to capitalize on in the most blatant and outright "...wtf?" way. Like, what was the purpose of that last scene with Ruth and Molly on the bridge? Ruth is essentially confirmed to be timeskipping, and Molly says something that she somehow hadn't ever said before, and the net result of the scene is... Ruth goes to put on tea when Molly talks to Henry? That isn't ambiguity, that's like a batter hitting a pop fly into the infield and everyone seeing it go up out of the frame, and it just never coming down. There's a bunch of stuff just like that.

What was the point of Henry's son?

What did the bed and breakfast tangent give us that we didn't already know?

What is anything about anything or anyone related to the schisma?

WHAT IS THE DOG IN THE FIRST EPISODE AND WHY DID IT DIG UP JOHN LOCKES HEAD?!?!?!?!

I guess it's an ending point, but it could just as easily be a midseason break.

10. Henry’s son was there to give contrast to Henrys relationship with his dad. Henry did everything he could to not become his father. That’s why he was a distant father, why he sent Wendell away when he refused to tell Wendell about the noises in the wood.

I suspect the bed and breakfast was a backdoor pilot for a second season anthology. Molly’s assistant is the niece of Jack Torrence from The Shining. Remember she said she had an idea to turn Castle Rock into some horror attraction. I think she buys the house.

11. Kevers

Kevers

I was fine with the ending it was just very abrupt.

12. WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Why do people think the Prisoner is lying about being from an alternate universe? How do you account for Henry being missing and not having a scratch on him for days?

13. Or what Molly saw when she followed Henry.

14. Dr Doom

Dr Doom

The Molly that got shot and died. Told by the Prisoner

15. WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Molly was getting those images in her head before the Prisoner told her.

Like what's the point in telling the audience that the woods and voice of god are a nexus point for the multiverse if it doesn't amount to anything?

16. Yeah I never felt through the finale that episode 9 was invalidated.

17. Razmos

Razmos

I would have liked a more clear cut ending.

I thought this season would be wrapped up and any further seasons would be based on the characters we saw when young Henry and Molly went through the thinnie in the woods. The colonist with the knife, the girl cutting her wrists, the prisoners. With all their stories connecting through the thinnie in the woods.

So Bill Skarsgard's character wasn't actually Henry Deaver? The story he told Molly was all fake? It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine he could probably give her false visions too.

I like the idea that he is some kind of universe hopping trickster, causing death and destruction in Castle Rock wherever and whenever he goes. But the whole thing was just so ambitious I have no idea what he could be.

The Shining tease at the end was pretty cool

18. It’s played ambiguously but I think The Kids almost smile in the last shot moves the needle into him being some kind of demon. And all of his explanations just being bullshit. He’s trapped Henry and he takes pleasure in it. He doesn’t age so he must be very patient and enjoys the pain of physical imprisonment if he feels anything at all.

19. Psychotron

Psychotron

They hit us with a Last Jedi. Every single thread set up during the season was just dropped in the last episode. I was let down.

20. Shy

Shy

Is there some way i can blame you for this ? :P

21. kurahador

kurahador

Or he's just some vengeful dude and take solace in him manage to inflict pain to Henry somehow.

You know what the most frustrating thing about the ending? --- Henry's action at the end. Like the Kid just want him to follow the sound, so what? Just do that.
    If he lied, nothing happen. If he tell the truth, he gets home.

22. Psychotron

Psychotron

Lol. I loved it enough to be okay with the end. I just thought it would have been better with the story being true from cage guy.

23. Heynongman!

Heynongman!

huh, so when Skarsgard came to Henry's timeline, Henry wasn't there right? So in theory he could have been in Castle Rock for like 300 years? I mean all that bad shit has been happening in the town through history, could explain why.

24. Qvoth

Qvoth

just finished, that was an anticlimactic ending, but the smile was cool
    not familiar with stephen king's works so it was even more confusing for me, had to read through sites explaining the easter eggs and shit to get a better feel

25. Kapten

Kapten

Interesting take. Did not think about it that way.

I like it.

26. Dalek

Dalek

I actually liked the ending and I didn’t mind the ambiguity. Really interested in Jackie’s trip out west for Season 2.

27. Celestine

Celestine

If he lied...he could get brutally murdered. The Kid is creepy as hell, would YOU want to follow him alone into a dark, secluded forest in the middle of the night?

Anyway, I was pretty confused at first but after reading a few things I like the idea that he IS Henry Deaver in another dimension but got pulled into a rift and has been shifting around for 300 years and it’s turned him into some sort of twisted demon that enjoys and even possibly encourages the chaos around it.

28. He claimed that
    he looked around in the woods for a few days looking for a way home , then Lacey kidnapped him

29. Lady Murasaki

Lady Murasaki
    Scary Shiny Glasses Moderator

I really liked the kinda ambiguous finale but I think I will stick with the explanation The Kid is an interdimensional being.

They mention in that interview that really specific detail about a '' 300-year-old Bill''. I think it might be a clue. And I think it all started with the French settlers and he is out there ever since. Before they are mentioned in the series (the cannibal girl appears in The Kid's story, but she is mentioned before by another person - I think it was Lacy). I was wondering if it could be a being/deity recognized by Native Americans in the olden times but I don't think it is the case anymore. I think the thinny has always been there in that region but remained harmless due to the lack of humans there - but its power attracted the French settlers (or it could be a coincidence) messing up with their minds while the reality is distorted by the thinny. Then something wicked happened (maybe a human life sacrifice provoked by the thinny madness and a door was open and The Kid had the opportunity to hop into this reality).

I think he could be part of one of the lowest rankings among King's beings. Unlike Pennywise he is terrified of weapons, feels pain and can be hurt. He needs to eat and meds have an effect on him (supposedly). The eating and meds part could be acting to humanize him in the eyes of the humans, but he definitely can be hurt in a normal way, otherwise, he wouldn't be helpless when Henry took his gun. I would even say he is a parasite inhabiting a human body, as in a possession, and completely replaced the person who that body belonged. Maybe it was one of those French settlers, but he can't be disembodied or switch to another person so he must care for this old shell. He can't read thoughts or implant memories (I think he indeed learned everything about Henry in the shed) but he can manipulate people's feelings and minds to do horrible violent stuff, and it's a lot more potent through touch (Zaleski's insanity, giving the Nazi cancer). Some things he did are purely sadistic (and don't have a real purpose) and to me, they don't fit the revengeful victim narrative - like making that random boy's family kill each other at his birthday party.

I think he wanted to take Henry to the woods because he has a pure heart and also hears the sound. I think maybe this kind of person is necessary (maybe as a form of sacrifice) to bring MORE of his kind or enable him to hop to another dimension (but I doubt he wants that). And there is also the kind of 'incorruptible' people who are not susceptible to his power and through the history of the city formed this coven to keep him locked, but that were ''too good people'' to simply kill him.

30. ThLunarian

ThLunarian

I also think that certain people are immune to his corrupting influence, or at least Henry is. That may be why he sees Henry as a threat and would want to take him out to the woods for mysterious reasons.

I see The Kid as a direct opposite of Michael Clarke Duncan's character in The Green Mile. In fact I wonder if that's exactly what they were going for.

31. Antrax

Antrax

Ep 9 is technically just us watching The Kid's narration of his "past" to Molly. So he's probably just lying about it.

I mean, it kinda does have implications. The thinny is real; multiple people heard it, and Henry ended up going through it as a kid.

What we now have reason to question is where The Kid came from. He's definitely a demon/trickster. I think he wanted to take Henry to the woods for something pretty bad with the thinny (bring bad stuff in, or use him to get to other worlds, or send Henry to other darker worlds. Who knows, but it's bad).

And ultimately the intro to the finale kinda lays out the theme of the show. How much proof would you need that someone was a demon? Henry could shoot The Kid and end all this, but he can't be sure he's right.

32. But he knew stuff that wouldn’t be on tapes, like the safe combination

33. Matthew77

Matthew77

Really enjoyed this, and the sound and birds make me want to reread the Dark Half (Pangborn should have told Henry to get his head checked for tumors back in the day).

More seriously, just want to throw some king knowledge out, especially as to Bills real status. Starting with if telling the truth and this started in 91 it does not explain the rock, Cujo, Dark half, the strangling murders and many other things happened before that, so if true it’s not the source of the rocks evil ( if you do want more info on that there is a story in nightmares and dreamscapes that goes back to the corruption, it involves lovecraftian breeding and a Winchester mystery House sort of structure).

And none of that says he didn’t come out of a thinnie, they don’t always correlate one to one in time and space. It could lead to alternate castle rocks, it could also dump you out in the basement of the Dixie Pig. Besides he probably came from todash space if that’s really his point of origin.

Also have a nitpick. If the kid got off the bus in the ‘lot, it was night, last I checked in the King universe the ‘lot is officially a deserted town and people that go in at night are never seen again. I don’t see the bus stopping either it’s known. So in effect to shove in an Easter egg they actually contradicted the whole point of it.

Also I actually liked the crazy innkeepers, felt like what I wanted from this, the town as the point and all the fucked up shit the people do, I think a great case study of how a castle rock story should go is Needful Things, the town and the people are the story, all the Devil did was Bring it to the surface. The fire was already burning all his shop did was grab gasoline and use it as an accelerant on the already dangerous situation.

34. TaterTots

TaterTots

Finished it. I enjoyed it, but honestly it left me with more questions than answers tbh. I don't dig that lol.

35. BlackFyre

BlackFyre

Wait is season two a continuation of season one?

Or is it a completely different story like True Detective was?

36. WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

It's an anthology series. Same setting, but it will be a different cast and time period.

37. pestul

pestul

If the
    smirk at the end wasn't enough to settle his true intentions, don't forget when he just sat on the roof of that house and drove a family mad. I mean he really didn't need to do that shit if didn't want to.