1. SilentRob

SilentRob

That's not what "toxic masculinity" means.

2. "Huge fucking embarrassment"

Dang how DARE these diehard fans be offended that blizzard has outsourced a fan favorite IP to a "pig farm."

Or the fact that blizzard literally teased multiple Diablo projects this year... to unveil a mobile cash grab app as a finale at blizzcon

Ok mate "huge fucking embarrassment" lol

3. Solaris

Solaris

You know what's embarrassing?

Trying to put game developers (not even Blizzard in this case) onto some kind of pedestal by saying they "spend their lives to entertain you" so you can't make mildly sarcastic comments to them.

4. ElBoxyBrown

ElBoxyBrown

Blizzard told you to lower your expectations. They told you and some didn't take it seriously. They were being honest at the very least.

5. Helloween

Helloween

Nonsense. Showing displeasure its absolutely fine.

Why do people seem to think that giant companies need protecting? Voicing an opinion on something is good, it doesn't make people babies or disgusting 'Gamers' or anything.

All most of this is people wanting to snootily look down upon others and think higher of themselves like that Kotaku Journalist.

6. CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Blizzard really screwed up here. I mean, even if their goal is to make a game that will do well in Asia, why the fuck would you unveil it at Blizzcon of all places? A place where they should know full well what their core audience is?

If this wasn't meant for the core audience then it was an utterly boneheaded decision to reveal it there.

7. Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Riiiight. Why don't you report all these toxic people in this thread then?
    Hint: Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are toxic. Nor is booing or asking sarcastic questions.

8. Apharmd

Apharmd

Wow, Christ, that's just... game journalists shouldn't have such disrespect for the gaming community. There are absolutely racists and sexists and assholes in our hobby, but there are genuinely people who feel ignored and maltreated as consumers. Instead of championing them game journos are mocking them.

I'll keep focusing my consumption of gaming media on consumer-friendly journalists, YouTubers, and streamers.

9. Strakt

Strakt

I think your post is the most embarrassing though

10. Bitmap Frogs

Bitmap Frogs

Spot the differences:

Bethesda wants to cash-in on the mobile space: they have an internal team work on a mobile spin off. After announcing it, they also announce not one but two titles of the kind of games they're known and followed for as the showcase enders. Result: the mobile spin off is an unknown quantity, might be good or might be bad, but good things are coming.

Blizzard wants to cash-in on the mobile space: they farm out their IP to a shovelware factory. This is the biggest announcement of their event and it has had reserved the two privilege spots, the showcase ender and the mythical stage. Result: fans are unhappy.

If you are Blizzard, why not clone what Bethesda did? Bethesda has a traditionally hardcore, PC entrenched userbase and they sold a mobile game to them without too much fuss.

11. Did you read the tweet because that's pretty much exactly what they said.

12. disparate

disparate

I don't get the issue with booing- you're presenting something to a crowd, if they like it they'll cheer, if they don't, they'll boo. Why are boos somehow not okay as a means to voice displeasure if cheers are okay for voicing approval?

13. Solaris

Solaris

Corps can fleece you for your money and engage various anti-consumer practices... who cares right

Be mean to them?

TOXIC GAMERS, SO ENTITLED, MAN BABIES

14. o k

o k
    Banned Member

• User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing other user.
    Omg I literally got bored reading your response

Maybe if it had been downvoted enough I would give a shit

15. svacina

svacina

What are you even talking about?

16. MotionBlue

MotionBlue

People can be more than one thing. Remember when Jason thought the comically large breasts in Dragons Crown was pedophilia?

17. Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Because the gaming industry is somehow exempt from basic human nature, at least according to Jason Schreier and a lot of people in this thread.

18. Yes, they did! So it was completely tone deaf for them to end the show on that note.

They could have at least mitigated some of the dissapointment by ending with WC3 reforged.

19. svacina

svacina

What line of reasoning led to that conclusion?

20. Hoo-doo

Hoo-doo

This whole overreaction is why 'gamers' are the fucking worst.

21. ElBoxyBrown

ElBoxyBrown

Sure, but hardcore Diablo fans who only care about Diablo would have still had the same reaction.

22. disparate

disparate

AFAIK it's just down votes on YouTube and booing the presentation; neither of which are unique to gaming.

23. svacina

svacina

Never been in a fandom shipping war, eh?

24. Chris Best

Chris Best

Star Wars and Diablo fans in the same boat now. Remember, as fans you aren't entitled to anything, so quit whining.

25. Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Yes, I can't believe someone would go on YouTube and push the dislike button on a video.

It is pandemonium out there. Meanwhile, you post is not in the least an overreaction.

26. Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Hoo-doo my man what overreaction are you talking about? How is giving thumbs down on a youtube video or asking a sarcastic question an overreaction? The people overreacting are those who call people toxic and lump them together with assholes making death threats because they don't like a thing, imo.

27. Hoo-doo

Hoo-doo

I'm talking more about the whole backlash concerning the game itself.

28. Ge0force

Ge0force

What overreaction? Blizzard has put a trailer on YouTube and people are using YouTube's voting system to show them if they like or dislike it. It's what the voting is meant for...

29. Toucan

Toucan

Blizzard really are clueless. They could have prevented this entire disaster with a single sentence, or a single teaser image. Just tell the audience that D4 is in development at the end of the presentation, and nobody would have cared about the mobile spinoff.

Just do what Bethesda did at E3. Their event was pretty boring overall, but nobody cared because they confirmed a new TES game. People got hyped over it even though it's years off. Blizzard could have easily done the same thing.

30. ynthrepic

ynthrepic

id say reactions like "Diablo is dead" are an overreaction

31. Nokagi

Nokagi

Gamers on a gaming forum whining about gamers is always going to be hilarious to me.

32. disparate

disparate

As far as I can tell the extent of the backlash consists of thumbs down on YouTube, some booing at the announcement, a sarcastic question, and...people saying they don't like it. Are people getting death threats or something?

33. Smash-It Stan

Smash-It Stan

And the artist called him gay for it, good times.

34. Billfisto

Billfisto

Guys don't be mean to the external assembly line that has already made this game seventeen times. This time it has a Diablo hat!

35. Can we successfully rebrand the entire Diablo community into far-right, racist, misogynistic redpilled GamerGaters because that fucking piece of shit asshole asked if it was an April Fool’s joke?

I love Diablo and even pre-registered for the game regardless cause I know I’m going to try it at least but holy shit do I not wanna touch it now.

36. Pyccko

Pyccko

Yeah, I dunno guys. This level of shrill displeasure should probably be reserved for some kind of human rights offense, not because one of your toys isn't quite what you'd like it to be.

37. Helloween

Helloween

I was bored too seeing how half of it was your post.

This game will make bank, but to say that people cant complain is just bollocks.

38. Kinthey

Kinthey

"Mortified"
    Mortified by the guy asking the april fools question. Jesus Christ. Now this is some overreaction. Not to mention how some of them try super hard to make some gamergate connection

39. Bitmap Frogs

Bitmap Frogs

Damn, that's the second time this week I REALLY, REALLY wished I could upvote comments on resetera.

40. Novel

Novel

I don't call myself a gamer. Gamer identity is all kinds of fucked up.

41. MotionBlue

MotionBlue

You can google the post, its infamous. I don't think there is any reasoning beyond "I'm right, they're wrong".
    It was certainly comical, he also did a custom artwork with all the buff dudes in the game.
    The original twitter user misused the word/concept, not them.

42. Ge0force

Ge0force

Haha yeah agreed, I must have missed that.

43. Audioboxer

Audioboxer

A lot of that is spurred on by the fact most who are in the gaming scene knew who these devs were and quickly put together pieces that suggest this has foundations of being a reskin of their current Diablo clones. As one of the reasonable reddit comments on that link I posted says (as yes, some whining about SJWs are shite)

It's bad marketing/timing/management to end this Diablo section without going to a CG 10 second Diablo 4 teaser (like Bethesda), but it's made even worse when your mobile game isn't made with love and care, but farmed out to a gacha dev even the Chinese gamers say treat them like a "pig farm".

Double whammy. Ending an expo with your core audience who've paid for tickets on a mobile game, but at that, a mobile game that screams cheap shilled out gacha clone.

Sony ending PSX with Wonderbook would have a shit load of people saying... what, and you can watch/attend PSX for free. Manage expectations, sure, but know your market. It takes nothing to knock up a 10 second Diablo 4 CGI teaser.

Some of the same journalists who probably rate E3 shows, or have rated E3 shows, are now getting really bent out of shape the Diablo community are rating their own EXPO event. Not all rating an event they paid to go to are going to rate it 10/10.

44. itchi

itchi

When Battlefront 3 releases I'll be sure to comment with"wow this game looks fantastic I can't wait to gamble $1000 away on lootboxes" because that is apparently the only type of comment about a game that is allowed and is not an embarrassment.

45. Selling my activision stock due to this.

46. ElBoxyBrown

ElBoxyBrown

Bruh.

47. srtrestre

srtrestre

Luckily I have several hobbies, so I opt for “hobbyist” instead :D

48. Kinthey

Kinthey

Honestly, I'm seeing those journalists say more toxic shit in those tweets than the people in here.

49. RedHeat

RedHeat

This thread is very entertaining. Bazinga!

50. David___

David___

.....Downvoting a Youtube video and asking a sarcastic question is the thing we should do when people are putting kids in cages and threatening to shoot unarmed migrants? The only overreaction Im seeing are from people who are trying their damndest to condemn people who were upset/disappointed. Mind you, I don't know if people are actually harassing specific people /sending death threats or not but on the surface level this is pretty damn tame