Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadin

Kadin
    Member OP

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I'm here just like everyone else trying to have fun and the last thing I wanna do is be 'that guy' who makes someone else not want to play again. Rather I want to be inclusive and get more to play. So yeah, I'll blame the lack of tools although rereading the OP I do kinda come off a bit more harsh than I honestly intended. Either way, thanks for feedback.

2. Trickster

Trickster

I mean, normally i just play with people I know and try to have fun. As for random idiots I run across, I don't really bother blocking them or anything like that. Feels like more effort than it's worth, given how unlikely you generally of running into them again

3. Phil32

Phil32

I originally thought this was an off-topic topic posted in the gaming section. As it isn't, no, I do not. I try to just let everyone have fun as long as they're playing fair and not cheating.

4. devSin

devSin

Basically, yes. Everyone is there to play. If you have specific rules on how somebody needs to play in order for you to be satisfied, then you should probably stick to private lobbies where you can vet your team mates all you want.

Can you be annoyed about people who aren't as good or don't play in the team the way you like? Sure. But creating a whole thread because of people not playing the way you want them to just makes you sound like a bully.

5. Xiaomi

Xiaomi

Sometimes I get annoyed if I see someone who clearly hasn't invested in survivability trying to take on G-rank in mhgu, or someone who doesn't know how to dodge the one attack you have to dodge so they end up carting 3 times in a row. And I do use the mhw damage meter mod in mhw PC to silently judge myself and others. But the level of annoyance I feel is so minor compared to someone who is throwing in a more competitive game.

6. Belizeanboy

Belizeanboy

Yeah. Only at work though. Video games are just that. Video games.

7. jviggy43

jviggy43

In a competitive game yeah it's annoying.

8. Kadin

Kadin
    Member OP

Well it's too bad you took it that way, as that wasn't the intent. Appreciate you clarifying though, it's good know.

9. Renteka-Bond

Renteka-Bond

My experience is a bit limited cause I only played World and I never got the mod, but I also pretty much never played coop in World either because of the reason i mentioned initially;I only ever did it when I was helping someone else so, at bare minimum, I was already going in with the idea that it might be a waste so it wasn't as bad. I for sure would be more annoyed at a team competitive game (League was bad for me, I wasn't toxic, but boy did I get mad outside of the screen at times), but I would probably kick in MW pretty fast.

10. Diablo 3 bounties are weird. A mode where people join up to do things apart is meta.

I don't do a bounty public unless I can do it the same speed solo. That way if I get a shit group I don't feel like I lost anything.

11. est1992

est1992

In real life, not a ton of patience. In video games, I give no fucks.

12. Asbsand

Asbsand

Bothers me when people actively go AFK to let me do everything in grinding activities and abuse the mechanic of matchmaking but it also puts me off joining a team in Destiny where someone just fusses around with me or cusses when I don't do exactly as they told me to because I'm too green at it.

13. MadMike

MadMike

Leeching and not pulling your own weight are two totally different things in my eyes. If you stand around doing nothing and/or go AFK for long periods while we're doing all the work, you're an asshole. This happens way too often in Destiny 2 Strikes and PvP. If you just suck, but are actually playing and trying to contribute, that's perfectly fine.

The Diablo example is kind of a different beast. Because of the way the game works when adding additional players, anyone who isn't able to keep up is actually slowing the rest of the group down.

14. frankenstrat

frankenstrat

I don't have an issue with it if there's no experience system or any sort of real payouts upon winning (example: TF2) particularly since I was frequently one of those people who would get in a conga line or just go sticky jump with a caber to my heart's content, but in games like Rocket League where experience is tied to wins/losses it bugs me more than it should.

15. Musubi

Musubi

People like you are exactly the reason so many people don't want to engage with games online that they would otherwise have fun with.

16. daiquiri

daiquiri

In all games except Dota 2, I do not mind

17. Kadin

Kadin
    Member OP

You bring up a good point about people at least trying versus just going AFK like you and others have mentioned. In my D3 example, this has been part of my experience that I failed to mention, some of these people sitting in town almost 100% of the time in these groups. But this latest issue which made me create this thread, the player kept coming to me and while it looked like they were trying, they just kept repeatedly dying to the point where I stopped waiting and just started moving forward. So they weren't really in the wrong here, just should have joined some lower level tiers. Something I could have easily conveyed in a simple chat. :(

18. Antrax

Antrax

You're fine OP. They don't owe you better play, but you don't owe them your lobby.

Only time I get grumpy is when a bully decides to deflect from their performance to some other poor soul. Happens all the time in League. Jungler gets invaded when they had no vision and the enemy laners have the push. Then it's all "GG shit support can't ward" etc....

Then I counter-flame. Because 95% of the time, the bully is playing like shit and wants to throw somebody under the bus for it.

19. caylen

caylen
    Publisher - Riot Games Verafied

I really care in some games (like League when it's practicing vs other premade 5's, but the analogue that is nearest to my heart was doing speed runs for instances in WoW), but never to the point of it being a dealbreaker.

If it's really important that the game has nothing but try-hards, then it's up to me to find that group of people to play with, since there's no algorithm or matchmaking prowess on earth that can assess the level of commitment towards any specific game. If anything, age & experience has made me far more patient & forgiving of people who aren't doing well in a team game.

Sometimes someone who looks like they are leeching really are just new to an experience, or having a godawful time in game or has a bad day. Video games are a release valve for many - doesn't mean they (or I) get to be assholes to them. Usually if someone's struggling, I've found it to be way more rewarding of my time in the game to help them out (being it carrying, emotional support, positive critical feedback, etc) than to mute, ignore, or troll.

20. Gotdatmoney

Gotdatmoney

If you want to play organized and efficiently find similar minded people. If you play with randoms, you have no right to be bossy or commanding.

21. Slim

Slim

I'd rather play with casuals/random than really efficiency tryhards. However, I can see why it's frustrating during bounties as it slows down the progress a lot. Rifts/midtier grifts - I don't mind at all.

AFK people are the ones I cannot tolerate.

22. icecold1983

icecold1983

When its a ladder/ranked game mode, absolutely not. No patience for the entitled, delusional special snowflakes that would be better served in the games non competitive mode

23. okayfrog

okayfrog

tbh, people like you, OP, are why I don't play multiplayer games. So I guess it works out for you. 'grats. Spread that negativity around and maybe you'll push out every poor player. Good luck -- and I'm only partially joking. I have plenty of single player games to play.

24. lee n

lee n

I've been playing Diablo 3 quite a bit since it launched on the Switch but I'm not good at it. Most of the talk about builds and stuff goes completely over my head so I don't think I'll ever play it online, I don't want people to hate me because I suck.

25. Sailent

Sailent

Online and Multiplayer was never mean't to play with strangers.

26. Kadin

Kadin
    Member OP

So I have a serious question for you, simply because a few responded in this same way. What, that I listed in the OP, actually hurts other people who I play with? I'd like an honest answer here because I never mentioned in any way of yelling, talking down, belittling, or doing anything negative or toxic towards another player. I simply mentioned putting them on block. So I'm curious how it directly impacts, well, anyone. These people will simply never get grouped with me in the future.

27. okayfrog

okayfrog

Has nothing to do with what you did in the OP, actually. More the fact that you made this thread. I imagine myself playing online, trying to have fun, and all I'm doing is making someone else -- you -- more miserable. Makes me feel shitty.

28. Kadin

Kadin
    Member OP

Yeah then I apologize if that's the only thing you took from this. I simply created this because I was turned off by something and thought it might be a good thing to discuss with other people. I'm curious though, this was never in the back of your mind as even something that could happen until you read this thread?

29. The situation with Diablo on console is particularly annoying, because there's no way to kick individual players from your lobby without going offline and kicking everyone. Each new player who joins actually makes the enemies harder, so it slows down your farm if you have players joining and not split farming.

Given how new Diablo on Switch is, the people joining may well have no idea that they are supposed to split farm. Even on PS4 you get people joining who legit don't seem to know that they should be split farming bounties, and that they shouldn't be in the lobby if they can't do that. You end up having to message people or try to tell them in voice chat, but a lot of the time they don't respond. For my part, being in Europe, there's a fair chance they just don't speak English and don't understand.

I think the blame here lies entirely with Diablo; they should scale the rewards for the bounty based on participation. That way if you get 4 players completing the same bounty then you get 4x rewards. That would make joint bounty farming at least as efficient as split farming; but then again the lack of meaningful updates for Diablo is kinda a meme at this point.

30. okayfrog

okayfrog

Oh it's been there for years now. As I said, it's why I don't play multiplayer games -- or at least one of the reasons.

31. Z-Beat

Z-Beat

That depends. If you're purposely tanking it for the team then no. If you just aren't as good then I probably won't be upset

32. Kadin

Kadin
    Member OP

Well I sincerely hope you believe me when I say that's not my intention. As I mentioned to another poster here, I do try to be helpful in games where I can.

I probably rushed a bit in creating this thread because many agree with you and what you said, but I really do like playing with other people. And helping. I think I was more of the frame of mind, at least earlier when I made this, that these people were intentionally doing this - and that was a poor assumption. So that was a bad mistake on my part.

33. Dymaxion

Dymaxion

Well, in competitive team based games, I'm not skilled enough to pull my own weight, so I just avoid those games altogether now because I don't want to be that guy.

However, I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed playing missions in Monster Hunter World with random people with no voice chat. I guess when you do High Rank missions, the pool of people that can hop in to help you are not likely to be uncooperative. At that point in Monster Hunter, most people care about being good and helpful I'm guessing.

34. Morrigan

Morrigan
    Armoring Moderator

Thread locked per OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.