• We have identified the backend problem that was causing most of the errors on the site today. The first of two patches has already been applied; the other is in progress and will go out later tonight.

Multiple people hinting at Metroid Prime 4 being at The Game Awards?

Nov 30, 2017
twitter.com
That link was 2015, it's 2019 in a few weeks. So it was over 3 years ago.

And I'm sure back then he had big plans for sylux, but that was when they probably thought they'd be developing internally, and when they thought people would actually like Federation Force.

I just can't see them leaning on that character. It's relevance has long past and if they are doing a semi-arid franchise reboot, you'd better believe they'll be trimming the fat.

Though they may re-imagine Sylux and make his design not horrible and give him an actual story and purpose. Who knows. I just wouldn't take 4 year old comments as an indication of what a whole new team is currently doing. That is a heck of a stretch.
I think your speculation is more of a stretch considering the years of teasing they've done for the character (it's not even on the same level as the 1 minisqule tease of Dread in Prime 3) and how Tanabe has constantly said how he'd love to do another Prime with Sylux, the project lead of Metroid Prime 4. Teasing the character at the end of a 2015 Metroid game is nowhere near past relevance.....we don't even know when actual talks of the Prime 4 project started.

Another thing is that you keep saying you think they're going to start with a blank slate but considering how much of a shit show Other M was for the franchise they're probably going to do anything but that and stick more to the roots.

I'm not saying Sylux is a 100% hard lock but pretending he's not highly likely seems silly.

Oct 25, 2017
I very strongly expect Sylux to be a crucial part of Prime 4’s story. Tanabe, for whatever reason, is deadset on that character being a thing, and he’s in charge of this game, so it’s definitely happening. I’m pretty neutral on him since I never played Hunters, but man, they really need to update his design, because he looks like a rejected character from a fan-made reboot of...well Reboot.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
May I just talk about a single Metroid Other M plot point?

I have never played it, but I did watche a spoiler-laden review and that plot point is actually amusing.
Evil Federation officer: “Agent Mook, do you know of Samus Aran?”
Agent Mook: “The legendary bounty hunter? She once eradicated an entire species our forces couldn’t deal with. She took on the whole Space Pirate army by herself and won! She’s replicated that feat multiple times.
She is the one who singlehandedly accomplishes military objectives we can’t handle. What is my mission concerning that monster of a hunter?”
Evil Federation Officer: “You have to dispose of her covertly if she learns too much!”
Agent Mook: “Sir with all due respect that is beyond my capabilities? What weapon can I even accomplish this with?”
Evil Federation Officer: “You’ll have a construction robot.”
Agent Mook: “ This preposter...”
*Agent Mook gets shot in the face*
Evil Federation Officer: “Alright, who else? Maybe Agent Dumbass? Will you be our assassin?”
Agent Dumbass: “Ha ASS ASS IN! Lol”

Sep 15, 2018
I think your speculation is more of a stretch considering the years of teasing they've done for the character (it's not even on the same level as the 1 minisqule tease of Dread in Prime 3) and how Tanabe has constantly said how he'd love to do another Prime with Sylux, the project lead of Metroid Prime 4. Teasing the character at the end of a 2015 Metroid game is nowhere near past relevance.....we don't even know when actual talks of the Prime 4 project started.

Another thing is that you keep saying you think they're going to start with a blank slate but considering how much of a shit show Other M was for the franchise they're probably going to do anything but that and stick more to the roots.

I'm not saying Sylux is a 100% hard lock but pretending he's not highly likely seems silly.

Yeah Tanabe also thought fans would love federation Force. And all his statements about Silux came before and during the launch of that game. After the complete failure of Federation Force, whatever ideas Tanabe had were probably canned, or at the very least scrutinized AF.

There is a very good reason why MP4 isn't being made by Next Level Games, or directed by Tanabe, and its because they just dropped the ball and someone with an actual vision and an idea of how to please fans needed to take the reigns.

I think anyone holding on to the thought that they'll be leaning on Silux at all for future games is stretching. Again, like Zelda BotW, I am fully expecting Prime 4 to be a soft reboot. They won't be using past narrative, but it'll still be considered canon, it simply wont inform the new game.

I know he said he wanted to make a game about Samus and Silux but I really don't think that is going to be MP4. Just my two cents on that. you are free to disagree, but the character isn't really a thing aside from one DS game and a very simply and unattractive character design. I honestly don't see anyone wanting to use his design or character for any future games.

You cant sensibly base your predictions on 4 year old interviews with a dude who was honestly completely shocked nobody liked Federation Force.

Nov 30, 2017
twitter.com
Yeah Tanabe also thought fans would love federation Force. And all his statements about Silux came before and during the launch of that game. After the complete failure of Federation Force, whatever ideas Tanabe had were probably canned, or at the very least scrutinized AF.
There's nothing inherently wrong with Metroid Prime: Federation Force as a co-op Metroid spinoff other than it was released at the wrong time and place. The game's story beats, i.e the Sylux ending, has no bearing with the game not living up to expectations. (see Metroid Other M and its influence on the franchise after release)
There is a very good reason why MP4 isn't being made by Next Level Games, or directed by Tanabe, and its because they just dropped the ball and someone with an actual vision and an idea of how to please fans needed to take the reigns.
I don't know if I should take you seriously anymore after Tanabe worked on the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy from the start. You know...some of the most looked up to games of all time. A spin-off not hitting it well with fans is not tarnishing his legacy like it seems you're implying. Just like Sakamoto and Other M haven't tarnished his legacy either. (see Samus Returns)

I know he said he wanted to make a game about Samus and Silux but I really don't think that is going to be MP4. Just my two cents on that. you are free to disagree, but the character isn't really a thing aside from one DS game and a very simply and unattractive character design. I honestly don't see anyone wanting to use his design or character for any future games.
Seems like you're putting your emotions in front of a better judgement. We get it, you really don't want Sylux.

Sep 15, 2018
There's nothing inherently wrong with Metroid Prime: Federation Force as a co-op Metroid spinoff other than it was released at the wrong time and place. The game's story beats, i.e the Sylux ending, has no bearing with the game not living up to expectations. (see Metroid Other M and its influence on the franchise after release)

I don't know if I should take you seriously anymore after Tanabe worked on the whole Metroid Prime Trilogy from the start. You know...some of the most looked up to games of all time. A spin-off not hitting it well with fans is not tarnishing his legacy like it seems you're implying. Just like Sakamoto and Other M haven't tarnished his legacy either. (see Samus Returns)

Seems like you're putting your emotions in front of a better judgement. We get it, you really don't want Sylux.
Do you know what a producer does? He does not write, direct, or create any of the content for Metroid Prime, nor was Metroid Prime his original creation. Heck Miyamoto had more influence and input into Metroid Prime's creation than Tanabe ever had.

A producer oversees projects to make sure everyone manages their time and facilitates expenditures and the hiring of outside talent. They are not creative directors, and they do not have creative input. He may have some preferences and ideas that he shares with the dev team.

So where you got the idea that Metroid Prime was his legacy, is completely beyond me.

And Federation Force was mechanically, aesthetically, and fundamentally bad. There was nothing fun about that game, Metroid or Not, it was uninspired and terrible.

As for my emotional connection to Metroid: I don't really have one. not like you do anyway by the looks of your posts in this thread. Perhaps you wouldn't be fighting so hard if you were capable of stepping away from your deep emotional connection to the IP and objectively see its flaws and that it needs a reboot. I am actually glad you brought up emotion as I wasn't going to say anything, but because of your statement, I don't need to be so reserved.