"No DreamCast Classic: You Motherfuckers Had Your Chance to Buy One the First Time"

Oct 25, 2017
The Dreamcast was a brilliant system and would make for a fantastic console mini. However, you were a fool if you bought it on day one. Sega had unambiguously shown their lack of commitment to their customer base by the time the Dreamcast was releasing. You can't keep releasing consoles, kill them a few years into their life cycle, and expect your consumer base to have your back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IrishNinja
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The Dreamcast was a brilliant system and would make for a fantastic console mini. However, you were a fool if you bought it on day one. Sega had showed their lack of commitment to their customer base. You can't keep releasing consoles and killing them a few years into their life and expect your consumer base to have your back.
ehhhh
Sega dicked up the Saturn sadly but the DC had been out for quite some time by 9/9/99 - gaming mags all over covered it, I'd played sonic adventure at a local comic shop with an imported system

shit was awesome and there was lots of reasons to be there day 1, not the least of which was the GOAT launch lineup

there are very good emulator for it on PC, we don't need no Dreamcast classic as we didn't need a PS1 Classic.
this is an absurd argument that you could oddly use against any classic system really

Oct 25, 2017
ehhhh
Sega dicked up the Saturn sadly but the DC had been out for quite some time by 9/9/99 - gaming mags all over covered it, I'd played sonic adventure at a local comic shop with an imported system

shit was awesome and there was lots of reasons to be there day 1, not the least of which was the GOAT launch lineup
I owned a Saturn and a 32X at that time. I played the Dreamcast and was super impressed with it. However, Sony was going to be releasing the followup to the Playstation, and I didn't have unlimited funds. There was no way I was going to back the Sega horse again. I was, however, happy to pick it up for cheap a year or two later. Truth be told, Sega had no good will left by the time the Dreamcast was out. There was no reason to believe that things were going to be different this time.

Oct 27, 2017
The article is obviously trying to channel the spirit of UK Resistance, but it's lacking the wit and charm that made UK:R so wonderful to read.

The main problem with a Dreamcast classic these days is that most of the games have been ported to other systems.
You have to go to the more obscure and weird titles to find games which are trapped on the system.

Oct 25, 2017
The article is obviously trying to channel the spirit of UK Resistance, but it's lacking the wit and charm that made UK:R so wonderful to read.

The main problem with a Dreamcast classic these days is that most of the games have been ported to other systems.
You have to go to the more obscure and weird titles to find games which are trapped on the system.
Er powerstone 2? I guess most of Sega's output is elsewhere tho

Oct 27, 2017
Er powerstone 2? I guess most of Sega's output is elsewhere tho
Don't get me wrong. There are still a lot that are trapped there. Crazy Taxi 2 is a personal favourite along with the Power Stone games.
But I think I'd have trouble coming up with a list of 20 games that you can't play elsewhere.
Maybe it's a challenge I could look into. Maybe I'm underestimating the library.

Edit: Wait, Power Stone Collection was a port for the PSP. I'm not sure how the content matches up. But it might count.

OP
OP
IrishNinja
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
for those asking "what hasn't been ported yet?" this felt like a good list from a few pages back

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Dynamite Deka
Cosmic Smash
Segagaga
Rent a Hero nº1 (OG xbox does not count)
OG Bangai-O
Cannon Spike
Plasma Sword
Heavy Metal Geomatrix and Spawn: The Demon's Hand
L.O.L.
OG Maken X
Project Justice
both Power Stones (PSP repack does not count)
Psychic Force 2012 (psx port looks bad)
Soul Calibur 1 (XBLA port does not have mission mode wtf)
Space Channel 5 (the first one)
Tech Romancer
Frame Gride
probably half a dozen racing games I never ended up playing

One could argue PSO and Skies of Arcadia too, since the GC is also kinda dead (and I think GC SoA is hard to find?), though Blue Burst lives on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
First time I played MvC2 on that thing I thought it was legit sorcery.

LIke how the fuck is this running just like the arcade version?!

Sure I was like 12 back then so I didn't know how shit worked, but still, damn.

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Nope. I was there for them all. Genesis was a monster.
Phantasy Star series
Shining series
Fucking Shinobi
Streets of Rage
The greatest Contra ever made
Shooters galore!
Third party support!

Dreamcast was an arcade port machine for the most part, with a few original games. Third party support was a major meh.

You had to be there. ;)
2K Sports games were amazing. Fighting games were great. Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, and many more.

Unfortunately it just didn’t work out but it had a great game lineup for quite a while.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this trend of retroactively blaming people is hilarious, awesome, or really lame. I take that back, I'm certain it's all three.

I get that nowadays it's common to buy multiples of the same console, but the Dreamcast was the one I bought twice first.

I bought an import Dreamcast in March of 99 to defer some serious personal grief, and maybe I spoiled the North American launch for myself a bit, but I'll never forget the excitement of that midnight launch.

Admittedly, I'm a bit sore that we didn't get another year of Dreamcast. Not sure if I'd buy a classic version at this point. I'd miss the VMUs too much, I guess.

Not sure if this trend of retroactively blaming people is hilarious, awesome, or really lame. I take that back, I'm certain it's all three.

I get that nowadays it's common to buy multiples of the same console, but the Dreamcast was the one I bought twice first.

I bought an import Dreamcast in March of 99 to defer some serious personal grief, and maybe I spoiled the North American launch for myself a bit, but I'll never forget the excitement of that midnight launch.

Admittedly, I'm a bit sore that we didn't get another year of Dreamcast. Not sure if I'd buy a classic version at this point. I'd miss the VMUs too much, I guess.
You not alone. I had an import dreamcast and US one myself. I had to have Street Fighter 3.

Best damn console for fighters I've ever experienced in terms of just classic after classic that my friends and I threw down in.

Oct 27, 2017
You not alone. I had an import dreamcast and US one myself. I had to have Street Fighter 3.

Best damn console for fighters I've ever experienced in terms of just classic after classic that my friends and I threw down in.
I hear you, sometimes I forget how great of a selection there was for fighters on Dreamcast.

Will always love 2D, but Soul Calibur was off the chain and Power Stone! So much fun with friends.

Oct 27, 2017
I was there at launch, and still have my launch model. The Dreamcast sucked. So did Shenmue. Open world, that's a laugh. Give it credit for Quick Time(r) Events.

It's not a classic, it's an also-ran. And a classic version of it would bomb.

OP
OP
IrishNinja
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I was there at launch, and still have my launch model. The Dreamcast sucked. So did Shenmue. Open world, that's a laugh. Give it credit for Quick Time(r) Events.

It's not a classic, it's an also-ran. And a classic version of it would bomb.
this is a fuckshit post, and i hope you do better in the future (as well as with exploring amazing console libraries)
be blessed~

Jan 4, 2018
“Oh great Shenmue is on Steam now!” SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Sure, we practically bankrupted ourselves to throw $50 Million dollars behind Yu Suzuki so he could INVENT SANDBOX GAMING but hey, glad you’ve got an extra $20 two decades later to plunk down to see if it was worth the hype.
Truth.