• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Awarding discrimination - The Game Awards

Dec 27, 2017
I was discussing this tonight with a friend if the Game Award winners know in advance that they have won like with the MTV Movie Awards. And who of course decides on the awards? The producer's I suppose?

There was alot of lgbtq representation at the awards this year with nominees and winners. It's not excusing the presence of controversial individuals but I think it shows the producers are not perfect but they are trying.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you need to take a step back. Why are you trying to make this thread into a slapfight? I think it's rather relevant that the supposed victims of this guy's decision are, in general, kinda mixed about the decision he and his wife came to for the benefit of their relationship.
when a group is being discriminated against, you can always find members of said group who will defend said discrimination. there are black people and latinxs who support trump. there were women arguing against the sufragette movement back in the day. cherry picking and using those people as proof that discrimination doesn't exist/isn't a big deal is lazy and dishonest.

Oct 26, 2017
It's an entertainment award show... the 2 big factors there are popularity and the relation to money.

They might throw you a bone here and there if you expect to see something else but that's about it.

Oct 26, 2017
Because one is obviously illegal, while another is a grey area at worst.

There is not a single valid basis for your wife not to want you to stream with black people. Just racist ones.

On the other hand, there are valid reasons for your wife to not want you to stream with other women, especially considering how the twitch fanbase behaves itself.

You know these things.
Forgetting for a moment that the wife excuse is obvious, blatant bullshit, the end result is excluding a massive chunk of the population based on the way they were born and broadcasting that to several million impressionable children so that you don’t interrupt or lessen your payday.

You can see how that coming from a place of racism would be bad, but you still can’t connect that the same thing applying to women, refusing to work with them regardless of the reasoning behind it, is sexist and exclusionary behaviour.

Oh and if any of you find yourself in a relationship with someone who tries to prevent you from working with an entire section of the population, be that because of sex, gender, race or sexuality, that person is a cunt and their hang ups should not be passed on to millions of children.

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Then it all comes to his wife, if she probably didn’t have a problem then I doubt he would care. He has a wife, jealously happens in people, he rather keep his marriage happy as can be, what can the dude do ?
If the guy has marriage problems, he and his wife should work through them in normal, healthy ways. Dude is rich as fuck, he can get the best counseling on the planet. Or maybe is wife really is too jealous for their marriage to work out. Or maybe he really can't keep it in his pants when he's around other women, and his wife's fears are justified. Regardless, that's their problem, not every other woman's.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
which isn't justification enough to be discriminatory - nothing is, holy shit. it doesn’t matter what sort of elaborate excuse someone can come up with, women are still getting discriminated against for - from their side - being women. if working alongside a women is enough to jeapordise his marriage (which again, is a complete hypothetical that’s coming from ninja) then maybe it’s worth talking that shit out rather than punishing any woman who wants to work alongside him.
I completely agree with the bolded portion. If the reason for his non streaming with girls is his wife then he should definitely fix the issue with his wife instead of punishing girls by not streaming with them. I'm simply saying that if he can't fix that issue with his wife's jealousy, and that the reason is indeed his wife's jealousy, then what is he supposed to do? Should he end his marriage in favor of streaming fortnite with girl streamers who he doesn't have as strong of a connection to?

Oct 25, 2017
Dude is the most popular gamer In the world, he’s literally carrying Fortnite on his back, he’s good at the game and that’s why people watch him
So he'll keep on making his millions and be perfectly happy. Fine. But an industry that has a problem about excluding women shouldn't be giving awards to someone that excludes women, no matter how sound the reason is for him personally.

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Forgetting for a moment that the wife excuse is obvious, blatant bullshit, the end result is excluding a massive chunk of the population based on the way they were born and broadcasting that to several million impressionable children so that you don’t interrupt or lessen your payday.

You can see how that coming from a place of racism would be bad, but you still can’t connect that the same thing applying to women, refusing to work with them regardless of the reasoning behind it, is sexist and exclusionary behaviour.

Oh and if any of you find yourself in a relationship with someone who tries to prevent you from working with an entire section of the population, be that because of sex, gender, race or sexuality, that person is a cunt and their hang ups should not be passed on to millions of children.
I can see you are very interested in having a fair and honest conversation about this.

Oct 26, 2017
I can see you are very interested in having a fair and honest conversation about this.
And I see that you’ll forgive/refuse to even see obviously sexist behaviour as long as you like the person doing it. Nice to meet you. The rest of my post that you quoted covers my thoughts on the results of that behaviour regardless of the origin of it.

Oct 25, 2017
He streamed with Ellen, maybe it wasn't streamed, but it was televised and produced. He was in the same room, most likely worked with her crew and makeup artists. I doubt he's against working with women outside of his solo setup where he sometimes game with his friends and family.

Oct 25, 2017
He streamed with Ellen, maybe it wasn't streamed, but it was televised and produced. He was in the same room, most likely worked with her crew and makeup artists. I doubt he's against working with women outside of his solo setup where he sometimes game with his friends and family.
he will work with women when it gives him attention, money and recognition?

SEXISM IS OVER

Oct 25, 2017
Because one is obviously illegal, while another is a grey area at worst.

There is not a single valid basis for your wife not to want you to stream with black people. Just racist ones.

On the other hand, there are valid reasons for your wife to not want you to stream with other women, especially considering how the twitch fanbase behaves itself.

You know these things.
So he can't interact with women online where there is zero chance of physical interaction. I don't understand why you are caping for blatant discrimination. He knows streaming does not equal rromantic links.

Please take a step back and look at what you are defending people. I can't work with women because my wife might jealous is a ridiculous rhetoric regardless of profession. Jeez

Nov 6, 2018
You’re making a very good pont OP. The Game Awards wants to be the Oscars of Videogames. Well, what the Oscars just did recently with Kevin Hart... I think the TGA are not at the Oscars level yet.
A literal child rapist (Roman Polanski) won an Academy Award.

Ninja's rise was insane. 600k+ simultaneous viewers, 250k+ subs. How could any streamer related award not have Ninja as a candidate?

Reminder: Ninja's wife did not ask for this

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
Some people can be irrationally jealous of their partner having any sort of contact or communication with people of the opposite gender. It's not healthy, but it's surprisingly common.
Then it all comes to his wife, if she probably didn’t have a problem then I doubt he would care. He has a wife, jealously happens in people, he rather keep his marriage happy as can be, what can the dude do ?
Or maybe is wife really is too jealous for their marriage to work out.
His wife is not jealous. It's all him:
https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17675738/ninja-twitch-female-gamers
It was his decision alone to keep his streaming partners men-only. “That was not even her. She had nothing to do with it. That was me being, ‘I love our relationship,’ and, ‘No — I’m not even gonna put you through that.’”
Let me repeat this again, like I do every thread: it's not his wife. His wife did not ask for this. It was purely his decision, with a bogus excuse.

Oct 25, 2017
he will work with women when it gives him attention, money and recognition?

SEXISM IS OVER
And guys who will give him some views as well. He was very excited about adding Drake to his stream, doubt he would for people he don't know. That's when I started hearing about him, the thread about a dude streaming Fortnite with a celebrity. Everyone was freaking out.

Oct 26, 2017
His wife is not jealous. It's all him:
https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17675738/ninja-twitch-female-gamers

Let me repeat this again, like I do every thread: it's not his wife. His wife did not ask for this. It was purely his decision, with a bogus excuse.
Yeah, I was gonna say, Ninja’s no streaming with female Twitch streamers policy’s isn’t something he talked with his wife about before arriving at. She didn’t have any input in it. It’s just Ninja being a coward and and taking the easy way out, excluding any collaborator who just happens to be female in the process.

Oct 25, 2017
People keep trying to equate twitch streaming to the workplace and I don't think it applies at all.

Just because it's technically his job does not mean his stream is a professional environment. It's much closer to a social event than the workplace. It's also publicly accessible to literally everyone.

In the context of relationships and socializing discriminating based on sex is completely normal. As an example I would be perfectly fine going for 1 on 1 drink with a male friend of mine, however, I would be cautious about doing the same with a female friend. That's not even because I'd be worried about what my girlfriend thought, she'd probably be fine with it. It's because if anyone I knew saw me having that drink rumours would inevitably start to fly.

Now, amplify that by a few hundred thousand people, add in anonymity and a bunch of misogynistic arseholes then combine all of that with the fact that both Ninja and his wife are extremely accessible to the public and you have the recipe for shit tons of drama.

I can completely understand why Ninja doesn't want to deal with that headache.

Oct 25, 2017
It’s just Ninja being a coward and and taking the easy way out, excluding any collaborator who just happens to be female in the process.
Constant stress and harassment will eventually weigh down on anybody's mind, on anybody's marriage. If there's a way to limit that, then I'm not going to fault him for "taking the easy way out".

If streaming with women is only brining negativity for everyone involved, it's not his responsibility to keep at it in the hopes he will change the world. Because he's not going to, it won't go away, he can't control his audience of millions and I certainly don't blame him for not trying at the expense of his relationships, his mental health and ability to keep doing his job. We hear all the time about online personalities and how they often deal with mental health issues due to the nature of their job. It's clearly not a job you can keep doing if you're not in a good place mentally.

I don't think it's cowardly to put his and his family's wellbeing above boosting a stranger's career. I just see it as somebody who's trying to do his job and do right by his family. Was it the right decision? I don't know. Unlike Ninja himself, I haven't actually experienced having an audience of millions, I haven't experienced rumours and harassment due to what I've done on streams, so I don't think it's my place to come up with solutions or tell him that his reasons are bogus.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. But would you agree that if marriage counseling didn't work then the potential loss of his marriage would be a valid reason not to stream with girls that aren't his wife? As someone who's dealt with a jealous partner before it's basically a mental illness in terms of how irrational it is.
I think you do a disservice by equating jealousy and mental illness together like that. Jealously stems from immaturity and insecurity and doesn't need medical intervention to resolve. Sorry I just jumped in the convo like that, but this statement bothered me some.

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
People keep trying to equate twitch streaming to the workplace and I don't think it applies at all.

Just because it's technically his job does not mean his stream is a professional environment. It's much closer to a social event than the workplace. It's also publicly accessible to literally everyone.
It is a workplace. There is no such thing as a normal workplace. Working in a factory is different from working in a laboratory, is different from working in a news room, is different from working in a hospital, etc. Women and other minorities deserve equal opportunities at all of them. Twitch isn't some magic place where discrimination is ok.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this way of seeing things is that it's too limited. But it's pretty common on resetera, you read a thread title one day, engage in it, and you make the mistake of thinking that this particular issue defines the subject in the eyes of everybody. It reminds me of "Pepe being an alt right symbol" issue. People on this forum just wouldn't budge in thinking that frog was highly problematic and shouldn't be used because their only exposure to it was through articles defining it during a very specific point in time (the US election). Ignoring that nearly every fandoms, every website are using them, from the deepest shithole to the most progressive people, and that it had long been reappropriated by everyone. But to a lot of resetera, it was still a very simple issue, Pepe is racist because of those two months they heard about it two years ago.

Ninja is a similar matter. For a lot of people here, Ninja is the guy that won't work with women, and sang the n-word in a rap song that one time. This is what defines him. And everytime he's mentioned on resetera, we always come back to this as the default. But you have to understand that 99% of people have a very different view of the guy. As controversial and stupid that particular issue is, the truth is that it barely defines him. Ninja is the guy that blew up like no gamer ever did, went on the mainstream, huge american talk shows with positivity and healthy message to kids everywhere. He's well spoken, charming, and doesn't scare parents away. Even is his ridiculous fame he stays humble. For a lot of people, this is what defines him. For others, it's the daily kid friendly streams that entertain hundreds of thousands of people, for others it's his charity work. As controversial as some of his decision has been, for a lot of people his public persona, his way of presenting himself and his work largely tip the scale towards a net positive against that one headline that was spread this one time.

I'm not saying resetera should forgive him for not wanting to play with women. If you think this is stupid, harmful, or a dealbreaker, I think it's valid. Myproblem, which is typical with this website, is that sometimes one issue can completely take over any discussion to the point we might refuse to even acknowledge the big picture. The Ninja big picture is so much bigger than this issue that to always bringing it back to this no matter what he does is akin to putting your head in the sand or living in a bubble. It's refusing to understand the whole situation. We are stuck on this issue while the whole world moved on.

Dec 9, 2017
Yeah, I was gonna say, Ninja’s no streaming with female Twitch streamers policy’s isn’t something he talked with his wife about before arriving at. She didn’t have any input in it. It’s just Ninja being a coward and and taking the easy way out, excluding any collaborator who just happens to be female in the process.
He's a coward because he doesn't want exploitative youtubers and trolls constantly spreading rumors about him that he has to constantly debunk when they inevitably come up while he's streaming or get spammed in his wife's Twitter mentions? In this thread alone we had people saying they should get marriage counseling based on misinformation. If the dude doesn't want to introduce drama into his marriage because people don't know how to act I can't fault him for that decision.

Oct 25, 2017
It's discrimination, like textbook definition discrimination. His excuse isn't valid. Maybe he should quit and get a regular job that doesn't require him to pretend half the population doesn't exist. And the only reason why he is ok with this outcome, and why many of the men in this thread are ok with it, is because women are completely undervalued. We don't really matter.

Oct 13, 2018
Tbh I prefer not involving myself in knowing the personal circumstances of twitch streamers. Like im I the only one who wants twitch streamers to be less like movie stars and pop idols, who deal with no longer having private lives and more like regular people again?

Also if his wife was jealous, Ninja saying it was purely his decision would be best to avoid people harassing his wife for being controlling (again, decisions taken to avoid being shit upon). It's entirely possible he's lying about it being purely his decision.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this way of seeing things is that it's too limited. But it's pretty common on resetera, you read a thread title one day, engage in it, and you make the mistake of thinking that this particular issue defines the subject in the eyes of everybody. It reminds me of "Pepe being an alt right symbol" issue. People on this forum just wouldn't budge in thinking that frog was highly problematic and shouldn't be used because their only exposure to it was through articles defining it during a very specific point in time (the US election). Ignoring that nearly every fandoms, every website are using them, from the deepest shithole to the most progressive people, and that it had long been reappropriated by everyone. But to a lot of resetera, it was still a very simple issue, Pepe is racist because of those two months they heard about it two years ago.

Ninja is a similar matter. For a lot of people here, Ninja is the guy that won't work with women, and sang the n-word in a rap song that one time. This is what defines him. And everytime he's mentioned on resetera, we always come back to this as the default. But you have to understand that 99% of people have a very different view of the guy. As controversial and stupid that particular issue is, the truth is that it barely defines him. Ninja is the guy that blew up like no gamer ever did, went on the mainstream, huge american talk shows with positivity and healthy message to kids everywhere. He's well spoken, charming, and doesn't scare parents away. Even is his ridiculous fame he stays humble. For a lot of people, this is what defines him. For others, it's the daily kid friendly streams that entertain hundreds of thousands of people, for others it's his charity work. As controversial as some of his decision has been, for a lot of people his public persona, his way of presenting himself and his work largely tip the scale towards a net positive against that one headline that was spread this one time.

I'm not saying resetera should forgive him for not wanting to play with women. If you think this is stupid, harmful, or a dealbreaker, I think it's valid. Myproblem, which is typical with this website, is that sometimes one issue can completely take over any discussion to the point we might refuse to even acknowledge the big picture. The Ninja big picture is so much bigger than this issue that to always bringing it back to this no matter what he does is akin to putting your head in the sand or living in a bubble. It's refusing to understand the whole situation. We are stuck on this issue while the whole world moved on.
Great post, and this is coming from someone who absolutely has a problem with his attitude to women.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you understand how massive Ninja is right now, i'm not even talking about the gaming community, i'm talking about the mainstream media as a whole.
He is a juggernaut and you have different expectations from the game awards ( which is as corporate as it gets) if you thought that he or other shitbags won't be invited and awarded because of their popularity.

It is known that ERA is a bubble but come on people, why would Ellen invite him to her show? does she support sexism? He is showing up in many ads and mainstream media for a reason. Many shitsbags are still popular to this day for obvious reasons so the obliviousness here surprises me sometimes.

^Charamiwa's post is great about this situation.

Oct 25, 2017
It is a workplace. There is no such thing as a normal workplace. Working in a factory is different from working in a laboratory, is different from working in a news room, is different from working in a hospital, etc. Women and other minorities deserve equal opportunities at all of them. Twitch isn't some magic place where discrimination is ok.
Ninjas stream is a social environment viewed by hundreds of thousands of people.

Again, just because it's technically his job does not mean it's equal to a workplace.

There are tons of streamers who do it just for fun, if they were to say the same thing as Ninja would you bring up the workplace analogy with them as well?

Oct 25, 2017
I think you do a disservice by equating jealousy and mental illness together like that. Jealously stems from immaturity and insecurity and doesn't need medical intervention to resolve. Sorry I just jumped in the convo like that, but this statement bothered me some.
I apologize for equating the two. I meant more that the jealousy that I've faced from my previous partner and the same type that I've seen my close friends deal with I believe would require long term therapy to overcome, and not something you can make someone stop by simply telling them to get over it. I guess the way I equated it is that since this type of jealousy is irrational that the person has no control over it, akin to a mental illness. Though I obviously agree that a real mental illness has a greater permanency and potential severity to it.

But yeah, screw Ninja if he's just being a complete asshole.

OP
OP
Alucard_DCLXVI_
Nov 15, 2017
Skövde

My Op was rather specific. The game industry awarded someone who explicitly discriminated. And that is problematic.

"Ninja"; don't work with women.

The games industry has a big problem regarding sexism.

I'm sorry, this is quite substantial.

Oct 28, 2017
It’s very easy for Ninja to do one of those ‘it was never my intention...’ replies because his only intention was to be respectful to his wife and for her not to have to put up with snide comments.

You can call it misguided, you can say that his marriage is ultimately screwed if this is how he has to protect it, but that’s it. If this is the worst dirt on him, he’s pretty clean.

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
And I see that you’ll forgive/refuse to even see obviously sexist behaviour as long as you like the person doing it. Nice to meet you. The rest of my post that you quoted covers my thoughts on the results of that behaviour regardless of the origin of it.
Like the person doing it? I haven't watch a stream in five fucking years, my friend, let alone one of this guy's. I'm having this conversation based on the merit of the argument alone.

KamiCrit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by whataboutism
One guy makes a negative remark. Yeah not the best.

RDR2 gets three awards after revelations about poor working conditions. I see that as being more harmful, regardless of gender.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this would never happen in the movies industry. That’s why Roman Polanski never got an award or standing ovation and that’s why Harvey Weinstein was never treated as a legend....
You may be right regarding Ninja, but no, this is far from being a problem that only affects gaming

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
User Banned (Duration Pending): Junior phase account justifying sexism and exclusionary rhetoric
"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone"

I'm not even religious but I recknognize humanity in people including their faults.
How many of you have never said or done something that other people may dislike or perceive as derogatory?

I don't even like Ninja, but to just disregard what he has built and done because of his work ethics; which, I'll remind you, is perfectly fine since he is just a guy doing his own thing; he is free to do whatever he wants in that regard. You are seriously complaining because he has doubts (no matter if justified or not) about compromising his source of income?
It's not like he hates women, he sees the toxicity on his platform and realizes that it is just much easier to avoid this toxicity and not potentially harm his source of income.

Is that realization, this train of thought, faulty? Perhaps, and you can try and discuss it and try to convince him. But him putting his work before someone who wants to profit off of his success, no matter who it is, should be understandable; and if you don't agree, you should not disregard his work and success just because you have an opinion of him that is not most favorable.

Where would we go if we just stripped everyone we didn't agree with off their humanity? Do we really want to go there?

Oct 31, 2017
The lack of diversity is an education problem, its not like minorities have as much oppurtunities to pursue a degree or career in computer science. The industry will stay majority white for a very long time. Its intentional.

Apr 19, 2018
It's crazy to me how many (i'm guessing) dudes here are defending this guy from excluding half the population from ever working with him just because they happen to be women. Are you all for real?

Oct 26, 2017

This whole post is just saying ‘there’s more to him than refusing to work with women’. That’s absolutely true. He’s popular for a reason, he’s charismatic, entertaining and good at what he does. He mostly genuinely seems like a nice person.

But I’m sorry, having a problem with someone refusing to work with women is not some little quibble that we should just move on from, regardless of whether other shithole gaming communities have done so. That’s how attitudes like that become accepted and become the norm. Having a problem with seeing that swept under the rug so the industry can give itself a self-suck is not something we need to be ashamed of.

Gaming and especially the gaming community is largely exclusionary to women, this is a fact. Resetera at least tries to shine a light on that and in doing so tries make things just a little bit better. Yeah, we get idiots who take things too far in any given direction, just like any community that’s ever existed, but to paint the majority of us as those extreme individuals is the same as you saying all we see of Ninja is the sexism. You talk about this place being a bubble and in many ways it is, certainly politically. But on this issue inside the bubble is ‘women shouldn’t be discriminated against as coworkers purely because they are women’ and outside of that bubble is ignorance, sexism and general ugliness.

People who make millions of dollars a year by entertaining children should be held to a higher standard, they absolutely should not be letting toxic behaviour in their fandom dictate who they work with through fear of what they might do. Allowing yourself to be strongarmed by sexists or racists just empowers them and makes the gaming community even more awful for everyone involved who isn’t a racist, sexist piece of shit.

Last edited: