• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Rumor: Intel is considering the acquisition of AMD

Oct 28, 2017
Would this mean that Intel would have an effective monopoly?
Technically no.

When it comes to consumer products the rise of ARM undercuts the importance of x86 processors.

When it comes to servers IBM is a big competitor and ARM is starting to compete there too.

When it comes to supercomputing it won't do a damn thing among the actual big players in that space.

Hobbes

Senior Staff Writer at MP1st
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Is that even legal?
No, this is against U.S. Antitrust laws, and this article shouldn't even have been written because it literally cannot happen. It's not a might, maybe, if, when, it's literally not happening. The FTC wouldn't allow it at all. I don't know what c-level executive they're talking to, but it clearly is someone who knows fuck all about antitrust laws and Intel's previous acts of breaching antitrust laws with its rebate scandal.

Oct 29, 2017
OP should have clarified, I read the entire article while on the metro a few hours ago. This is all speculation, the writer says so:
One thing we must understand, though, is that people in the industry love to speculate on potential mergers and acquisitions.
and one more quote just so everyone can set their mind at ease:
Asked about the potential of an Intel-AMD merger, Krewell told us to “file it under fiction.” He noted, “It would give Intel complete dominance of PCs and servers and be considered anticompetitive.” Jon Peddie, President of Jon Peddie Research, also told us, “Not in a million trillion light years.”

Both noted that the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) would never allow it.
End of the day, this is all theory crafting, something people in the industry love doing.
Yes, some say it could be a remote possibility with ARM entering the server market, but again it's all speculation

Oct 25, 2017
Would never be allowed to happen. people saying ARM etc. would mean its allowed are not even close to being accurate. There is no major ARM manufacturer providing chips to the consumer market. There are only 2 Consumer Market companies. AMD and Intel.

Oct 25, 2017
In a world with intelligent people, Intel would be forced to spin off some part of their company as to not have a complete monopoly.

We don't live in that world. Let the merger commence.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna try it, current US management seems like the one to try under.

In the real world though, I don't believe this for a second. Maybe Radeon group. Maybe.

Jul 25, 2018
No, this is against U.S. Antitrust laws, and this article shouldn't even have been written because it literally cannot happen. It's not a might, maybe, if, when, it's literally not happening. The FTC wouldn't allow it at all. I don't know what c-level executive they're talking to, but it clearly is someone who knows fuck all about antitrust laws and Intel's previous acts of breaching antitrust laws with its rebate scandal.
You said it better than I was about to. Sounds like clickbait to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter what the "market" is, this will create a monopoly and there's a good chance this doesn't get regulatory approval.
But where does the monopoly part come in? Mobile computing (phones, and tablets) are almost all not x86 and have an ever increasing share of the market. Servers are losing ground to ARM and the trend will only continue. Game consoles? You could say that AMD already has a 'monopoly' so switching that from one team to another isn't going to do anything (especially with ARM/Nvidia making ways into it via Switch)

The only place you could say that'd be an issue is with desktop PCs, but even apple is starting to transition away from x86 for it's Mac line to hardware it has in house. PC gaming will be the last real bastion in that regard, which isn't a small market mind you... but I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5 years we see high end PC games supporting both x86 and mac's hardware.

x86 isn't doomed (yet) but it's far from being the center of the computing world like it was even 10 years ago.

(note, my gaming PC is a ryzen 1600 and a RX580, I'm not standing for Intel nor do I particularly want x86 hardware to come from a single vendor. I think people are just putting too much stock on this monopoly defense).

Nov 17, 2017
To be honest, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "it sounded so far-fetched, I would actually like to see this happening, so I can prove to myself I live in a parallel timeline."

But it's on the brink of illegal monopoly. Unless they are attempting for a duopoly.

Nov 21, 2018
Not sure what you're talking about, this is not 1990 anymore.
X86 is not the predominant and only computing market anymore.
Neither in the consumer space, nor in the commercial space.

There is Nvidia with a huge GPU compute presence. There is Qualcomm and there is ARM in general. Apple is doing their own designs. Mediatek and Samsung.
So for both foundry and designing microprocessors there is still plenty of competition everywhere.

There would most likely be some restrictions and requirements, but in no way is this a 100% not possible situtation.