• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

School condemns Trump-supporting students that harassed Native American man

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The MAGA teens were being awful to Philips but how did they provoke the BI? Those dudes were there for a while before any of the MAGA derps showed up (at least an hour off the video alone), shouting all sorts of stuff at the natives and anyone who tried to reason with them.
Are they black? Is 100 people, many who are wearing MAGA hats, not provoking minorities?

A large group of people wearing a hat that essentially says "you are subhuman and less than white people" is a provocation, regardless of how shitty BI's views are.

How are people not understanding this. Do we really think these HS students were completely ignorant to the fact that MAGA provokes minorities? Like is that what we're going with here?

Oct 25, 2017
That poster argues the full video "kind of discredits the current story". MAGA fucks provoked minorities by showing up in MAGA gear, and still taunted and jeered at the native Americans. The only difference is that black Israelites shouted some vile shit at them before said jeering occurred.

Unless you think "native American elder walks up to MAGA kids, bangs a drum, tries to leave, gets cut off by racist assholes" counts as the story being discredited.
I followed the previous thread and the story was evolving into this: "Mob of unattended MAGA kids come from pro-life rally to invade nearby Native American gathering to taunt, jeer, push, and incite violence while chanting "build the wall."

I have no intention of defending these kids, because they are obviously shitty arrogant pricks from a shitty arrogant school that likely promotes white supremacy and bigotry, but it's clear that some of the reports about how this incident began and what exactly transpired are not quite accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I followed the previous thread and the story was evolving into this: "MAGA kids come from pro-life rally to invade nearby Native American gathering to taunt, jeer, push, and incite violence while chanting "build the wall."

I have no intention of defending these kids, because they are obviously shitty arrogant pricks from a shitty arrogant school that likely promotes white supremacy and bigotry, but it's clear that some of the reports about how this incident began and what exactly transpired are not quite accurate.
There's a difference between listing some inaccuracies about the story and coming in to a thread saying "these inaccuracies discredit the original story". No they fucking don't. They don't change a damn thing about the basis of the original reporting.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between listing some inaccuracies about the story and coming in to a thread saying "these inaccuracies discredit the original story". No they fucking don't. They don't change a damn thing about the basis of the original reporting.
They kind of do, at least in terms of perception and reaction.

I may be wrong, but if the story had been: "Prick kids wearing MAGA hats mock and jeer Native Americans that confront their group," I don't think this would have exploded as it did.

Perhaps we're all better off with the embellishments, though, since it at least seems to be shedding light on how shitty their school is and forcing a good conversation to happen about why we shouldn't be jumping to defend and give the benefit of the doubt to entitled and racist kids just because they are white.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
They kind of do, at least in terms of perception and reaction.

I may be wrong, but if the story had been: "Prick kids wearing MAGA hats mock and jeer Native Americans that confront their group," I don't think this would have exploded as it did.

Perhaps we're all better off with the embellishments, though, since it at least seems to be shedding light on how shitty their school is and forcing a good conversation to happen about why we shouldn't be jumping to defend and give the benefit of the doubt to entitled and racist kids just because they are white.
No, they don't. Again, they already incited the confrontation by showing up in MAGA hats. No one forced them to gather around minorities with a hat that says "you're inferior to me".

The native Americans arrived because there was a confrontation going in between MAGA and BI, according to a CNN interview and the elder himself. He wanted to keep shit from getting out of control so he showed up, then once MAGA kids started jeering at him and the other natiave Americans (even doing a tomahawk motion and singing a variation of the fucking Braves baseball song), things escalated, then he tried to leave. They stepped in front of him so he couldn't go anywhere, according to him.

So MAGA brats incite and jeer at/disrespect native American elder is absolutely accurate.

I have no idea what you're trying to do here by holding up your finger in the air with a "well, technically the original reporting was wrong".

The basis of the reporting was absolutely accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
All this did they go after him or did he come to them shit is a waste of argument.

Phillips never claimed he came to them, he said he was trying to leave because of all the commotion and they wouldn't move. So he didn't set out to confront them, they just happened to be on the path to where he wanted to go, and instead of letting him leave they stood there, that's intimidation no different than if they had approached him.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
All this did they go after him or did he come to them shit is a waste of argument.

Phillips never claimed he came to them, he said he was trying to leave because of all the commotion and they wouldn't move. So he didn't set out to confront them, they just happened to be on the path to where he wanted to go, and instead of letting him leave they stood there, that's intimidation no different than if they had approached him.
Right and I don't understand what that changes about the original reporting.. calling these kids out and holding them responsible seems like an incredibly difficult ask lol

Oct 27, 2017
Are they black? Is 100 people, many who are wearing MAGA hats, not provoking minorities?

A large group of people wearing a hat that essentially says "you are subhuman and less than white people" is a provocation, regardless of how shitty BI's views are.

How are people not understanding this. Do we really think these HS students were completely ignorant to the fact that MAGA provokes minorities? Like is that what we're going with here?
I think that's actually quite possible. These kids attend a nearly all-white private high school in a deep-red state. By all accounts, they've led a sheltered existence. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they didn't think anything of wearing MAGA gear because it's normal and accepted in their little corner of the world.

Obviously they need to be educated about how this is perceived by other folks. That should go without saying.

Oct 25, 2017

God this is the kind of "reporting" that gets retweets from Jake Tapper

"Yes the MAGA kid blocked his way but perhaps he did it out of confusion, or innocnence, afterall wearing a MAGA hat surely gives you the right to the most sincere benefit of the doubt"

"Also yes the MAGA kids did racist stereotype chants but again MAGA hats means ultimate benefit of the doubt so maybe they just were in solidarity"... yeah.

Funny that the tweet claims it disputes Phillips' claim, but again Phillips literally says he tried to leave and they wouldn't let him, something this article admits... but just claims we can't know that the MAGA kids actually were trying to stop him... lol.

Oct 25, 2017
If we're in agreement then you wouldn't be defending a poster who straight up said "watching the full video discredits the original reporting".. unless that's not what you actually meant.
I don't give a shit about that poster. I just like getting the facts straight and don't think we need additional non-truths to pile on as "evidence" for why we need to condemn these MAGA hat-wearing assholes.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think that's actually quite possible. These kids attend a nearly all-white private high school in a deep-red state. By all accounts, they've led a sheltered existence. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they didn't think anything of wearing MAGA gear because it's normal and accepted in their little corner of the world.

Obviously they need to be educated about how this is perceived by other folks. That should go without saying.
Lol look at the lengthy, racist ass history of the school man. This is just straight up ignorance. There was even a kid that said "you stole the land from the aboriginals, land is stolen, that's the way of the world". Get out of her with this "they didn't know better" bullshit.
I don't give a shit about that poster. I just like getting the facts straight and don't think we need additional non-truths to pile on as "evidence" for why we need to condemn these MAGA hat-wearing assholes.
Like I said. There is a major difference between "getting the facts straight" and using inconsistencies to discredit the fucking basis of the initial reporting.

I'm tired of people falling off the edge of their seats to give white racists outs.

Oct 25, 2017
*Right wing media needs someone to help spread some insane stupid pushback to a story that has fired up the nation to start talking more about the radicalization of teen boys*

Jake Tapper:

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be one thing if he was retweeting something substantive, but it's some reason.com article that essentially psychoanalyzes the kid in the most generous way possible and then claims thus Phillips has been debunked.

Reason.com guy is actually admitting a lot of the things Phillips says is true, but then goes but it probably wasn't aggressive because the kid was probably just confused.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd be one thing if he was retweeting something substantive, but it'as some reason.com article that essentially psychoanalyzes the kid in the most generous way possible and then claims thus Phillips has been debunked.

Reason.com guy is actually admitting a lot of the things Phillips says is true, but then goes but it probably wasn't aggressive because the kid was probably just confused.
Welp

At least he didn't fucking apologize to the MAGA kids like C.E. Cupp did yesterday.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol look at the lengthy, racist ass history of the school man. This is just straight up ignorance. There was even a kid that said "you stole the land from the aboriginals, land is stolen, that's the way of the world". Get out of her with this "they didn't know better" bullshit.
I'm not saying they're not racist. I am saying that there's a pretty good chance that they're mostly oblivious to their own racism. In fact, I think that's much more likely than not. Teenagers usually aren't self-aware enough to think outside their own narrow lived experience.

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not saying they're not racist. I am saying that there's a pretty good chance that they're mostly oblivious to their own racism. In fact, I think that's much more likely than not. Teenagers usually aren't self-aware enough to think outside their own narrow lived experience.
Like I said.. look at the history of the school being exposed on social media. Clear and blatant racism all around. Stop throwing them lifelines.

Doing a tomahawk motion in front of a native American is classic racism.

Oct 28, 2017
Atrocious. Disgrace to Catholicism, which is about as diverse a religion as you can get.
It isnt a disgrace to Catholicism. It is a tribute to it.

Racism is racism regardless of whether its perpetuated consciously or otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Terana

Racism is racism regardless of whether its perpetuated consciously or otherwise.
get the hell out with that hateful garbage. I'm really sick and tired of reading your crap throughout this thread. Most Catholics are decent people unlike you. And this school and these kids don't represent the millions of Catholics around the world that aren't hateful little racists. And judging a religion of a billion people of all races based on this is just stupid.

Nov 11, 2017
thIs is all not true. None of it.

XBL proves you're a liar.

Its also pathetic.

Oct 27, 2017
thIs is all not true. None of it.

XBL proves you're a liar.

Its also pathetic.
I've spent 20 years teaching college students. I promise you that the typical college freshman hasn't spent much time interrogating the worldview that they inherited from their parents and community.

On a closely-related note, I also grew up in southern Indiana, which is essentially northern Kentucky. This is definitely a part of the country where a person can walk around wearing a confederate flag shirt or MAGA hat without anybody thinking anything of it. Kids from this kind of community generally don't learn any better until they leave their little bubble.

Oct 25, 2017

Get the fuck out. American brand of Christianity and to some extent Catholicism is a very different thing than rest of the world Catholicism. Sure it ain’t perfect and there’s a lot that needs fixing but Trump and everything he stands for goes against everything us Catholics were teached since we were kids with the exception of abortion (which I myself have become very liberal in my position in recent years).

Do not confuse Evngangelical Christians with Roman Catholics. They’re so different you light as well be comparing Judaism vs Islam.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: post count shaming
The MAGA teens were being awful to Philips but how did they provoke the BI? Those dudes were there for a while before any of the MAGA derps showed up (at least an hour off the video alone), shouting all sorts of stuff at the natives and anyone who tried to reason with them.
lmao this guy is one post away from 69

Nov 11, 2017
I've spent 20 years teaching college students. I promise you that the typical college freshman hasn't spent much time interrogating the worldview that they inherited from their parents and community.

On a closely-related note, I also grew up in southern Indiana, which is essentially northern Kentucky. This is definitely a part of the country where a person can walk around wearing a confederate flag shirt or MAGA hat without anybody thinking anything of it. Kids from this kind of community generally don't learn any better until they leave their little bubble.
Donald trump is a white supremacist. Who isn't shy about acting like it. The GOP's platform is against minorities.
Everything they see and hear on Fox News is racist. And they're out there like hitler youth.

They're wearing his gear and trolling native americans. But you teach so...yeah.. totally the most likely scenario, is that these are just gee golly confused/unaware bigots. That act identical to bigots..

good effort though. Ok, whose next with trying, but not trying, to absolve white folks of racism?

its a damn shame this stupid 'debate' is going to spill into tomorrow of all days. Robert E. Lee's birthday and that.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Get the fuck out. American brand of Christianity and to some extent Catholicism is a very different thing than rest of the world Catholicism. Sure it ain’t perfect and there’s a lot that needs fixing but Trumo and everything he stands for goes against everything us Catholics were reached since we were kids with the exception of abortion (which I myself have become very liberal in my position in recent years).

Do not confuse Evngangelical Christians with Roman Catholics. They’re so different you light as well be comparing Judaism vs Islam.
Amen.
People using this to generalize 1 billion people are arguing in ill faith.
What these guys did was not right, but American Christianity and Catholicism needs some tweaking.

Oct 27, 2017
Donald trump is a white supremacist. Who isn't shy about acting like it. The GOP's platform is against minorities.
Everything they see and hear on Fox News is racist. And they're out there like hitler youth.

They're wearing his gear and trolling native americans. But you teach so...yeah.. totally the most likely scenario, is that these are just gee golly confused/unaware bigots. That act identical to bigots..

good effort though. Ok, whose next with trying, but not trying, to absolve white folks of racism?

its a damn shame this stupid 'debate' is going to spill into tomorrow of all days. Robert E. Lee's birthday and that.
These kids are clearly racist. You and I don't disagree on that point. What I'm saying is that they're probably not completely aware of their own racism. That was the argument I was referring to earlier.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring Robert E. Lee's birthday into it, when you and I are probably about 95% in agreement here.

Oct 26, 2017
From what I have heard about Catholic schools, their teachers are not the greatest. Catholic schools pay their teachers less than public schools which means teachers who want to make decent money are not going to work there. Next, Catholic schools do not follow the same standards. So, while public schools are required to aim for certain literacy levels during each grade level, Catholic schools are going to just do whatever they want. I would guess that teachers who choose to work at a Catholic school do it so they have a more chill teaching job and not have to deal with the stress of working in a public school.

It would be interesting to compare reading levels between Catholic school students and public school students at a particular grade level. Not just fluency, but comprehension and critical analysis of text. If that kind of data was made available, and it showed that Catholic school levels are lower, would more parents choose to not enroll their kids in a Catholic school?
Uh, that is going to depend on the area, I guess. I did a mix of catholic and public school with a dash of DoD overseas and lesson quality was definitely highest at Catholic school. The only place I dealt with naked racism and intolerance was at public school, from staff and students

Oct 27, 2017
Get the fuck out. American brand of Christianity and to some extent Catholicism is a very different thing than rest of the world Catholicism. Sure it ain’t perfect and there’s a lot that needs fixing but Trump and everything he stands for goes against everything us Catholics were teached since we were kids with the exception of abortion (which I myself have become very liberal in my position in recent years).

You're forgetting the homophobia and sex abuse.

Edit: And the sexism.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
get the hell out with that hateful garbage. I'm really sick and tired of reading your crap throughout this thread. Most Catholics are decent people unlike you. And this school and these kids don't represent the millions of Catholics around the world that aren't hateful little racists. And judging a religion of a billion people of all races based on this is just stupid.
I'm not going anywhere. And no I'm not judging this on this single incident. I'm judging it based on a multitude of issues the least of which is this one. This cult literally shields, protects, and helps pedophiles prey on children and people continue to support them. They discriminate against LGBTQ individuals, they harass and March against women's rights. It's a disgusting organization and I'll continue to call them out for it.

See above.

Oct 28, 2017
Amen.
People using this to generalize 1 billion people are arguing in ill faith.
What these guys did was not right, but American Christianity and Catholicism needs some tweaking.
Again acting like this is the only reason people are criticizing this cult is ignoring much deeper issues. But I guess it's ok to discriminate and actively prey on children so long as you believe in their version of god.

Dec 12, 2017
I went to another Catholic highschool not far from Cov Cath. They are pretty much on brand with the previledged white supremist world view I suffered through my time in Cincy catholic school system. People ask me why I never went back to Cincy to visit in decades. This is why.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Again acting like this is the only reason people are criticizing this cult is ignoring much deeper issues. But I guess it's ok to discriminate and actively prey on children so long as you believe in their version of god.
That shit isn’t right. We all know that. We all want reform. However, your post makes you sounds like your generalizing a billion people on the actions of a few.

Oct 28, 2017
That shit isn’t right. We all know that. We all want reform. However, your post makes you sounds like your generalizing a billion people on the actions of a few.
I never said anything about individuals. I am calling the institution of the catholic cult out for its ingrained bigotry, discrimination, and child pedophilia. All I have to say about the actual people supporting it are that they should reexamine their loyalty and support to such evil organization.