• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Resident Evil 2 Review Thread

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd have to disagree. As someone with a similar dislike of these kind of enemies, I was able to push through, but I was having far more fun without him. It should be said though - at least in the initial playthrough -
The levels are all designed so that you can put considerable obstacles between you and him, and he's very predictable and very easily baited into attacking and very easy to evade.

I'd understand if he wasn't predictable and was unfair like other stalkers in the series previously, but Mr. X is not like that at all.

6+ per campaign, I honestly don't know what people expected.
On my second playthrough I finished Resident Evil 7 in 3 hours without rushing. In the end, without some Speedrun-BS-Items which unlocks after each run, there was nothing to explore in the game. Any other modes which can enhance the experience were sold as a DLC.

For Remake 2 it seems they put some extras besides Speedrun-Items into the game to make up for the rather short playtime. I mean, it's a full price title and the extreme short playtime of Resident Evil 7 was a huge disappointment.

After I completed Leon's first run, I unlocked Claire's second run, which does make sense, as it the natural compliment to what you've just experienced. I missed this initially because I picked a new game as Claire (rather than a second run) expecting to see a separate scenario, but it shares an awful lot with Leon's A run.
Maybe the ign reviewer got that bit wrong wrong then, with how it unlocks (no surprise with them lately)

Aug 28, 2018
Interesting. Thanks!
You're welcome. I recommend Leon first as he's much easier and the story is more straightforward RE to the original RE2. Claire's is much harder by default due to her not being to use certain weapons and being limited in other ways. Best to save her second. And know the game is much more difficult second time through so it's a double edged sword so it's up to you how you want to do this.

Oct 30, 2017
Never. And I'll probably spend the rest of my life posting on forums about how Capcom should go back and make another traditional style game.

But I won't rain on this parade with constant negativity; I am totally on board for this more stressful and terrifying Mr. X. I can't stress enough that his inclusion and the way he behaves is where I found most of my hype for the new game.
How could you survive in the last 25 years with no single game made like that?

Oct 27, 2017
You're welcome. I recommend Leon first as he's much easier and the story is more straightforward RE to the original RE2. Claire's is much harder by default due to her not being to use certain weapons and being limited in other ways. Best to save her second.
I feel like the weapons Leon gets at the end of his campaign makes the final boss much easier, so I actually recommend Leon to be your second run.

That's a very specific reason, though

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hey listen, the first Resident Evil trilogy is a bad series of games, I'm super stoked they're remaking them with modern sensibilities so that people like me can enjoy them.
wut wut wut

Take that back. Re 2 is regarded as a masterpiece even in its original form. That's fine if you suck at tank control but the game is still a masterpiece

Oct 27, 2017
Hey listen, the first Resident Evil trilogy is a bad series of games, I'm super stoked they're remaking them with modern sensibilities so that people like me can enjoy them.
On the contrary, they're fantastic games that simply do not suit your preferences. Yes, mechanically they are outdated, but they're fantastic games nonetheless. Holding that against games that are over two decades old is a little odd.

There is still some overlap, but they feel more distinct and the two campaigns just fit together a bit better now if I'm being honest. Still not perfect, of course, but the story flows much better.
That's fantastic. I'm glad. Thank you.

I hope I'm not being a nuisance but I have two more questions:

Are there any nods to Resident Evil 3 that may suggest a remake of that game is coming?

Is the story developed more where it's possible new games in the same time period may be made? I made this comment in several Resident Evil 2 threads recently but really, I'd love it if there were more games that took place many years prior to the Mansion and Raccoon City incidents or during, either or.

Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, the length is part of the reason why I gave it a 9.5 (I didn't think it would be that contentious so unfortunately, I didn't really talk about it in my review). Part of what I love about the original RE2 is how concise and lean it is.

Other than that, I think it's easily one of the best RE games ever (and maybe my favorite). It feels like a nearly perfect modern interpretation of classic RE but with an OTS perspective. Also, I really loved what they did will all the characters, especially how they expanded the side characters, but Leon and Ada were absolutely the best part. Plus little things like the way the map works now are a really nice touch.

Oct 25, 2017
Every new Resident Evil they keep saying "as good as RE4" and in the end I'm disappointed, I won't fall for it again.
I'll wait and see gamers' impression if it's highly replayable and then I'll decide. What made RE4 so great is you still had fun even after finishing it 3 times.

Aug 28, 2018
I feel like the weapons Leon gets at the end of his campaign makes the final boss much easier, so I actually recommend Leon to be your second run.

That's a very specific reason, though
That's true as well. You could do it with Leon on your second playthrough and it will be much easier. But your first playthrough will be harder then because of Claire, so it's a double edged sword and it's up to everyone how they want to do this. Either way, you're still getting a challenge either in the first or second playthrough.

RunesmithCaryll

PlayStation EU
Verified
Jan 8, 2018
London, UK
The levels are all designed so that you can put considerable obstacles between you and him, and he's very predictable and very easily baited into attacking and very easy to evade.

I'd understand if he wasn't predictable and was unfair like other stalkers in the series previously, but Mr. X is not like that at all.
I wouldn't argue with that, it does however radically alter the game's steady pacing up until that point and while he's reasonably easy to evade in empty rooms, you won't always have the luxury, nor do you really have time to pause and clear them out with him marching around.

Honestly, the length is part of the reason why I gave it a 9.5 (I didn't think it would be that contentious so unfortunately, I didn't really talk about it in my review). Part of what I love about the original RE2 is how concise and lean it is.

Other than that, I think it's easily one of the best RE games ever (and maybe my favorite). It feels like a nearly perfect modern interpretation of classic RE but with an OTS perspective. Also, I really loved what they did will all the characters, especially how they expanded the side characters, but Leon and Ada were absolutely the best part. Plus little things like the way the map works now are a really nice touch.
I'll ask you since I haven't been able to find out but can you equip regular weapons with laser sights or is that limited to specific weapon types having laser sights by default? The demo's Options menu had Laser Sight in it so I'm curious to see if I could potentially use that and turn the HUD off instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any nods to Resident Evil 3 that may suggest a remake of that game is coming?

Is the story developed more where it's possible new games in the same time period may be made? I made this comment in several Resident Evil 2 threads recently but really, I'd love it if there were more games that took place many years prior to the Mansion and Raccoon City incidents or during, either or.
Don't apologise! The discourse in the Spoiler thread was quite frankly draining so I penned some time in to answer questions after the embargo dropped.

In terms of your first question, I think you'll be disappointed.

There's not much referencing Resident Evil 3 at all. The closest thing is a poster of Brad Vickers in a room

In terms of your second question, the story remains the same. They haven't really opened anything up or closed anything off. I'm sure if they wanted to make another game during this time period they could.

Oct 28, 2017
On my second playthrough I finished Resident Evil 7 in 3 hours without rushing. In the end, without some Speedrun-BS-Items which unlocks after each run, there was nothing to explore in the game. Any other modes which can enhance the experience were sold as a DLC.

it's a full price title and the extreme short playtime of Resident Evil 7 was a huge disappointment.
Eh, RE7 could have honestly been shorter in my opinion. Cutting that horrific boat section would have made the game a lot more concise.

I beat RE7 my first time through in 10 and a half hours, which is a pretty ideal length for a horror game of it's type, wouldn't want it to go to the 20 hour mark like Alien Isolation which greatly outstayed it's welcome, but like I said it would have been a better package at around 9 or 8.

Either way complaining about the length at which you could speed through a RE game seems moot when average players (not speedrunners) can do the same thing in each of the games in the franchise before 4. I've played REmake enough times that I can also get through the entirety of it in 3 hours, which I definitely wouldn't knock it for, in fact it's kind of awesome that it's so accessible to do so.