• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

ANTHEM discussion thread [PSA: VIP Demo Jan 25-27, Open Demo Feb 1-3 | PS4/XB1/PC]

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 189 17.7%
  • Colossus

Votes: 249 23.3%
  • Storm

Votes: 365 34.1%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.9%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly blind going into this demo tomorrow. Looking at the support gear for the javelins it's really great that you can play any javelin and still provide support. Am I correct in that once the game is out, you can on a single character play Javelin you want? So I don't have to feel pressured in picking a Javelin off the bat?
You have to fully level up to play all 4 Javs, but yeah, you can do that all on one character.

Oct 25, 2017
England
Lots of good videos to watch once the stream is done :)

So many! Lots of abilities to check. They're on a much much more recent version of the game too.
Yes this is definitely an older build since the group UI is nonexistent in the demo
Oh 100%. Icons are the old version seen in live streams from early December. The group UI which seems to have been added in January is missing. Along with lots of other tweaks and changes. Ability names will likely be very different across the board too.

Dec 1, 2017
ok these wyverns shoot fireballs.....that overheat ur suit. So u can't fly.

theres some confirmation that u can't just fly away from everything, which i've seen ppl concerned about....that flying is so OP that ur never in trouble

Oct 29, 2017
Re difficulty, do you select this at any time or when going on an expedition? Presumably matchmaking will only match you with those who have selected the same difficulty level?

Jan 3, 2018
The Verge just released an interesting article about how BioWare feels Anthem's world will be compelling. Mainly about how easy it is for them to add micro-content constantly and make changes to the game world:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/24/18194445/bioware-anthem-storytelling-interview-ps4-xbox-pc

Without tons of aspirational content to speak of at the beginning, that's definitely one thing that could keep Anthem interesting in between real content drops.

Sep 2, 2018
All they need to do is reveal shaper storms, dunno why they dont unless that ain't a thing no more or it's still in progress post launch... sigh. They made a big deal of it in 2017. Bioware must understand that people are looking at this game as a lootshooter aka destiny/2 and division. Those 2 games had rough launches. Now is the time to show your content is there man, wth

I am not bothered by only three strongholds at launch. As loot is not tied to specific strongholds/activities people will run what is fastest for gear progression anyway. Doesn’t matter in that case if there are three, ten or twenty strongholds.
Of course for the players who are more relaxed and are playing mostly for the fun, more variety would be nice. Let‘s see how fast they can add additional content. Not that there will ever be enough for the hardcore crowd.

Jan 3, 2018
All they need to do is reveal shaper storms, dunno why they dont unless that ain't a thing no more or it's still in progress post launch... sigh. They made a big deal of it in 2017. Bioware must understand that people are looking at this game as a lootshooter aka destiny/2 and division. Those 2 games had rough launches. Now is the time to show your content is there man, wth
It's possible in accordance with the article I linked above that they want Shaper Storms to be revealed in-game after launch as a sort of WTF event for players. In which case they'd do best to do that quickly, within a week or two, so that the game doesn't already feel stagnant a month or two in.

I really do recommend people read that article. It's interesting that one of Casey Hudson's inspirations for the ever-changing world of Anthem was following Hurricane Sandy back in the day.

Sep 2, 2018
It's possible in accordance with the article I linked above that they want Shaper Storms to be revealed in-game after launch as a sort of WTF event for players. In which case they'd do best to do that quickly, within a week or two, so that the game doesn't already feel stagnant a month or two in.

I really do recommend people read that article. It's interesting that one of Casey Hudson's inspirations for the ever-changing world of Anthem was following Hurricane Sandy back in the day.
I'll read this, cheers

Oct 25, 2017
England
Oct 27, 2017
The Verge just released an interesting article about how BioWare feels Anthem's world will be compelling. Mainly about how easy it is for them to add micro-content constantly and make changes to the game world:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/24/18194445/bioware-anthem-storytelling-interview-ps4-xbox-pc

Without tons of aspirational content to speak of at the beginning, that's definitely one thing that could keep Anthem interesting in between real content drops.
This, IMO, is how a GaaS would work and is very clear their approach to the this game's development closely mimics the development pipeline of titles like Warframe vs how Bungie approaches Destiny. Smaller but more rapid ongoing routine content updates/fixes parallel with a few big swing game developments like feature content updates every year.

If they play their cards right and are diligent with their updates enough to sustain a dedicated, and more critically, long term fan base, this alone will sustain the game and the development of the game for a long time just like how Warframe can thrive after 6 whooping years (and still going strong) post launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This, IMO, is how a GaaS would work and is very clear their approach to the this game's development closely mimics the development pipeline of titles like Warframe vs how Bungie approaches Destiny. Smaller but more rapid ongoing routine content updates/fixes parallel with a few big swing game developments like feature content updates every year.

If they play their cards right and are diligent with their updates enough to sustain a dedicated, and more critically, long term fan base, this alone will sustain the game and the development of the game for a long time just like how Warframe can thrive after 6 whooping years (and still going strong) post launch.
All about that loot chase and as long as that continues to evolve-sprinkle in new missions (strongholds, contracts, etc.), maybe increase difficulty past Grandmaster 3, it should be interesting.

They spent 6 years developing this thing and you can only imagine that the back-end tools is what took the longest so they can adjust things on the fly.

Let me know if you spot anything in the new videos that would be useful, I'm starting to watch them all now.
So far I have watched Datto's, KackisHD's, Ryancentral's. Arekz's and Mtashed's videos so far! I haven't spotted any new abilties, but the video from ryan central has some good footage of the Storm's Blast Seal Living Flame ability. The other neat thing was that they have added primer and detonator icons to all of the javelin's melee abilities, not just the Ranger's shock mace!

I was particularly interested in Arekz's combo guide which he released today, since we know that he also played the latest build, but we didn't find out anything new from that footage either :(

I will go over these videos more attentively tonight (I'm in US central) and I will let you know if I find anything new!

Oct 25, 2017
England
So far I have watched Datto's, KackisHD's, Ryancentral's. Arekz's and Mtashed's videos so far! I haven't spotted any new abilties, but the video from ryan central has some good footage of the Storm's Blast Seal Living Flame ability. The other neat thing was that they have added primer and detonator icons to all of the javelin's melee abilities, not just the Ranger's shock mace!

I was particularly interested in Arekz's combo guide which he released today, since we know that he also played the latest build, but we didn't find out anything new from that footage either :(

I will go over these videos more attentively tonight (I'm in US central) and I will let you know if I find anything new!
Sweet thanks. So in WiLLiSGaming's Crafting video he shows Pulse Blast. It's a Detonator... but looks to be either Blast or Kinetic in nature. The problem here continues to be that abilities don't seem to have any sort of differentiation on their damage bar to say if they're blast or kinetic - they either have 1 of the 4 elemental icons or the diamond shape. So it looks like all non-elemental damage is been lumped into the diamond shape - so no idea what I'm going to do with the damage chart with that knowledge.

Oct 25, 2017
England
That is wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Edit: Whoa, you can craft up to masterwork rank javelin gear!! granted you need to get the resources and plans for the items you like, but it is really nice to see them giving players multiple ways to gear up!
Sweet thanks. So in WiLLiSGaming's Crafting video he shows Pulse Blast. It's a Detonator... but looks to be either Blast or Kinetic in nature. The problem here continues to be that abilities don't seem to have any sort of differentiation on their damage bar to say if they're blast or kinetic - they either have 1 of the 4 elemental icons or the diamond shape. So it looks like all non-elemental damage is been lumped into the diamond shape - so no idea what I'm going to do with the damage chart with that knowledge.
BIG follow up from that reply... I HAVE CLOSURE ON THE BLAST THING!

Both from WiLLiSGaming's videos. Pulse Blast is a Detonating Kinetic Ability. Cluster Mine is a Damage Only Blast Ability (we already knew this).
Why is this earth shatteringly awesome? Because the Cluster Mine specifically says "Blast Damage 373" and the Pulse Blast just says "Damage 296" - that one extra word changes everything.
SO.... the chart... does this mean both Blast and Kinetic abilities should now be displayed as Diamond Icon or do I keep the Kinetic abilities as a different icon, even though ingame they're all diamond. The colour of the ability would obviously still be Yellow = Blast, Light Grey = Kinetic.

In short... it seems like the diamond icon is being used to show "Non-Elemental Damage" while Fire, Frost, Lightning and Acid all have unique icons for their specific abilities. The only thing that shows a difference between Kinetic and Blast is the wording of "Damage" vs. "Blast Damage" on the Loot/Equip screens.