Liam Neeson Good Morning America Interview

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what people want out of this (I mean shit, people are already pissed/stressed about this). So, hypothetically, he admits he had a racist moment, 40 years ago, will that be enough? Or will people say that once a racist, always a racist? Are people not allowed to change, especially if it was 40 years ago? Or does it depend on the scenario? I'm really curious as to what the end game is here, because I'm pretty convinced that if he comes out, no matter how he delivers it, that he was racist 40 years ago (or had a racist moment), and that he has changed, that it will not be enough. I'm sure people are not going to go 'Thank you, Liam', but more like the floodgates will open even more.

I feel the dude has pretty much committed career (what's left of it) suicide.

Apr 9, 2018
I wonder what people want out of this (I mean shit, people are already pissed/stressed about this). So, hypothetically, he admits he had a racist moment, 40 years ago, will that be enough? Or will people say that once a racist, always a racist? Are people not allowed to change, especially if it was 40 years ago? Or does it depend on the scenario? I'm really curious as to what the end game is here, because I'm pretty convinced that if he comes out, no matter how he delivers it, that he was racist 40 years ago (or had a racist moment), and that he has changed, that it will not be enough. I'm sure people are not going to go 'Thank you, Liam', but more like the floodgates will open even more.

What erases murderous racist intent?

Edit: not even intent. The fucker went out for 7 nights looking to actually do it. What erases that?

I guarantee there are people in this thread who were in Liam's exact situation and even among those who got angry they didn't use that anger to attempt lashing out at people not directly implicated in raping or sexually molesting another person close to them.
Possibly there is but then everyone reacts very differently in a crisis situation. Some guys will just like down and cry, some guys will call the police (by the way in the north in those days possibly pointless to call the police), some will get into a blind rage and will go after anyone that matches the description or anybody at all that pushes them in any way.

Liam said he was angry at the time so it makes sense that was his reaction.

Oct 25, 2017

Read the thread.

He committed a hateful, racist action. He intended to murder a black person. Only by chance did he not succeed.

He is on the world stage here, words won't cut it. He has a responsibility to show actions show you have changed, not just words. He has a responsibility to show how harmful his behaviour was, and how it wasn't "just a mistake" or just a "hateful thought he had".

The dude's a celebrity and this isn't the 80's. Celebrities do charities and things like that all the time for causes to redeem their reputation, it's celebrity ass covering 101.
This is what political correctness is. He should probably hide behind a PR team, do a few charities and I bet the same people that demand "actions" in here would be OK. Look at Tom Cruise - the guy spoke like a fucking sociopath a few years ago, then he decided to shut up and fix his image and now he is worshipped in here, all the while being a member of a dangerous cult that destroys people's lives.

I find Neeson's stance much more honest and truthful - even if it reveals a flawed (fucked up?) aspect of him.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet
Oct 28, 2017
Possibly there is but then everyone reacts very differently in a crisis situation. Some guys will just like down and cry, some guys will call the police (by the way in the north in those days possibly pointless to call the police), some will get into a blind rage and will go after anyone that matches the description or anybody at all that pushes them in any way.

Noone disputes his anger isn't expected.

What's being disputed is the way he doesn't sufficiently acknowledge why his actions were racist.

Personally I'm also put off by how he made someone else's rape all about his ego. I've explained what I mean by this throughout the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what political correctness is. He should probably hide behind a PR team, do a few charities and I bet the same people that demand "actions" in here would be OK. Look at Tom Cruise - the guy spoke like a fucking sociopath a few years ago, then he decided to shut up and fix his image and now he is worshipped in here, all the while being a member of a dangerous cult that destroys people's lives.

I find Neeson's stance much more honest and truthful - even if it reveals a flawed (fucked up?) aspect of him.
This isn't hard to grasp.

The man literally went out looking to murder a black person.

He didn't have a hatful thought, he didn't just make a mistake, he only didn't succeed in murdering a black person by sheer chance.

Oct 26, 2017
Curious that he said he spoke with a bishop, some friends, do fucking powerwalking and NO MENTION OF FUCKING PROFESSIONAL HELP.

Yep, dude is done.
While true, Neeson 40 years ago probably thought 'talking with a bishop' was getting professional help. Ireland 40 years ago was super religious and the Irish branch of Catholicism in particular is very focused on 'healing through prayer'.

Oct 31, 2017
Read the thread.

He committed a hateful, racist action. He intended to murder a black person. Only by chance did he not succeed.

He is on the world stage here, words won't cut it. He has a responsibility to show actions show you have changed, not just words. He has a responsibility to show how harmful his behaviour was, and how it wasn't "just a mistake" or just a "hateful thought he had".
I did read the thread.

The thread read like it's more about racism than the murderous intent, hence the phrasing of my question.

Apr 12, 2018
For my part, it would be really nice if for once we could see people not fall over themselves to immediately forgive/hand wave away racism from a famous white person before they’ve shown any contrition for their heinous views. That would be nice.

Neeson is rich and famous , he could disappear and live comfortably for the rest of his days. So it would have been nice for him to have just come out and fallen on the sword, said how despicable the thought was and how he’s tried to live a better life every day since. How ashamed he was every moment since the thought came into his head. Not just pull the whole “I swear I’m not racist I would’ve killed a white man too! “ bs on some half assed apology tour

Oct 25, 2017
I did read the thread.

The thread read like it's more about racism than the murderous intent, hence the phrasing of my question.
That was an answer to your question "what do people want".

For my part, it would be really nice if for once we could see people not fall over themselves to immediately forgive/hand wave away racism from a famous white person before they’ve shown any contrition for their heinous views. That would be nice.

Neeson is rich and famous , he could disappear and live comfortably for the rest of his days. So it would have been nice for him to have just come out and fallen on the sword, said how despicable the thought was and how he’s tried to live a better life every day since. How ashamed he was every moment since the thought came into his head. Not just pull the whole “I swear I’m not racist I would’ve killed a white man too! “ bs on some half assed apology tour
This.

This isn't hard to grasp.

The man literally went out looking to murder a black person.

He didn't have a hatful thought, he didn't just make a mistake, he only didn't succeed in murdering a black person by sheer chance.
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say, at all. I can add a million variables to what you are suggesting but it's not for the forum formula of discussion. Oversimplification is where it's at here, because people like to push for a specific agenda and satisfy their needs. I'll say i think it's futile, and I'm really sorry for that (and for you tbh). Nonetheless, I'm out of this conversation, it's not really going anywhere and I'll start to tire myself and others by doing opinion ping-pong with guys like you.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say, at all. I can add a million variables to what you are suggesting but it's not for the forum formula of discussion. Oversimplification is where it's at here, because people like to push for a specific agenda and satisfy their needs. I'll say i think it's futile, and I'm really sorry for that (and for you tbh). Nonetheless, I'm out of this conversation, it's not really going anywhere and I'll start to tire myself and others by doing opinion ping-pong with guys like you.
I understand you are trying to normalize what he did. He only didn't succeed in murder by chance. Your behaviour and support is gross af.

Oct 31, 2017
That was an answer to your question "what do people want".
Which is what? I see people calling him all kinds of names, rightfully so. Or, demanding him to admit he's racist etc. Without actually committing the act of murder, prison is out of the question. Is it just getting him to admit that he is an awful person? Because I think he has done that damage to his image himself. Is it to make sure he will never make movies again? I'm sure he also, has done that to himself.

What satisfaction/end game do people what out of this is what I am asking? If it's justice, the train wreck is unfolding right before everyone's eyes. I suppose if people want to vent, that's their prerogative. I'm just seeing people wanting certain demands of the guy, and I'm just curious as to what's the gain. The perception of the guy isn't going to change any way whether or not if those demands are met. The peoples minds are already made up (at least here on ERA).

Oct 25, 2017
Which is what? I see people calling him all kinds of names, rightfully so. Or, demanding him to admit he's racist etc. Without actually committing the act of murder, prison is out of the question. Is it just getting him to admit that he is an awful person? Because I think he has done that damage to his image himself. Is it to make sure he will never make movies again? I'm sure he also, has done that to himself.

What satisfaction/end game do people what out of this is what I am asking? If it's justice, the train wreck is unfolding right before everyone's eyes. I suppose if people want to vent, that's their prerogative. I'm just seeing people wanting certain demands of the guy, and I'm just curious as to what's the gain. The perception of the guy isn't going to change any way whether or not if those demands are met. The peoples minds are already made up (at least here on ERA).
Read my posts for my own thoughts and read the people I quoted and agreed with, they've covered all of this.

I understand you are trying to normalize what he did. He only didn't succeed in murder by chance. Your behaviour and support is gross af.
As I said - and I'll repeat one last time - I'm really sorry for your viewpoint, but there's nothing I can do to make you understand so it's futile conversing with you. I'm literally out now, so don't bother responding pls.

Oct 25, 2017
As I said - and I'll repeat one last time - I'm really sorry for your viewpoint, but there's nothing I can do to make you understand so it's futile conversing with you. I'm literally out now, so don't bother responding pls.
And, as I said, your support is gross af and it's sickening so many people like you continue to attempt to normalize behaviours like this.

Dec 18, 2017
Make amends for what? For not doing something? The guy said it was a horrible time, and he really fucked up but in the end was able to snap out of it. And you are coming into a forum to demand prove for his amends for an action that didn't happen? How did he normalise it? By admitting how fucked up he was 40 years ago?
You dont just prowl the streets for a week looking for someone to murder and then just snap out of it, go confess to a priest, do some hail mary's and be on your way.

Dude had some deep seeded issues and should have sought out some proper counselling. And if he was going to detail his darkest moment he could also detail how he got help to change. He could use this as a teachable moment instead of normalising it by saying "it was pretty bad but it was a reaction, good thing i didnt kill anybody but arent we all just pretending to be pc, violence begats violence and bigotry begats bigotry... but im not racist"

Oct 25, 2017
You dont just prowl the streets for a week looking for someone to murder and then just snap out of it, go confess to a priest, do some hail mary's and be on your way.

Dude had some deep seeded issues and should have sought out some proper counselling. And if he was going to detail his darkest moment he could also detail how he got help to change. He could use this as a teachable moment instead of normalising it by saying "it was pretty bad but it was a reaction, good thing i didnt kill anybody but arent we all just pretending to be pc, violence begats violence and bigotry begats bigotry... but im not racist"
I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I'm with you on that. Shame on them for making me watch garbage...

Also, the whole "i would've done the same for any lithuanian/irish/whatever" is a lie. A disgusting fucking lie.
Of course it is.

And we all know how this conversation would go if it were a black man talking about how he prowled the streets looking to murder a white man...

Dec 18, 2017

Dont admit to looking for a black person to kill if you can't also articulate how awfully racist that is and explain how you've made a conscious effort to address the part of you that was ok with racially profiling with the intent to commit murder

Normalized

That is not political correctness, that is PR

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Ocean

Northern Ireland was a totally fucked up place in the late 60s, 70s and 80s. Calling the police was pointless, they were either operating under a "shoot-to-kill" policy, disproportionally targeting catholics or any people who weren't Protestant and white, or they were colluding with loyalist terrorists to do so. You wouldn't get justice from the police.

Liam Neeson was wrong. There wasn't any justice in either case, but what he intended to do was murder, premeditated on a racial basis. That was wrong, however his reasoning for it was definitely painted based on his environment. At the time heavily bigoted (some might say NI still is...) and conductive to racist thinking.

Taking into account the above, I can absolutely see how he'd want to distance himself from these thoughts decades later, but there would have been a better place to drop that information instead of on a PR tour for a movie about indiscriminate killing. Again, Liam Neeson was wrong.

No go on? He explained his actions.. he said he was not in the right frame of mind at the time.
He said he isn't racist,you don't believe him.
He said he is ashamed of his actions, you don't believe him.

If you were him at that point ( I wouldn't have said this at all that's for sure but let's say you did) what action would you take to satisfy people?

Northern Ireland was a totally fucked up place in the late 60s, 70s and 80s. Calling the police was pointless, they were either operating under a "shoot-to-kill" policy, disproportionally targeting catholics or any people who weren't Protestant and white, or they were colluding with loyalist terrorists to do so. You wouldn't get justice from the police.

Liam Neeson was wrong. There wasn't any justice in either case, but what he intended to do was murder, premeditated on a racial basis. That was wrong, however his reasoning for it was definitely painted based on his environment. At the time heavily bigoted (some might say NI still is...) and conductive to racist thinking.

Taking into account the above, I can absolutely see how he'd want to distance himself from these thoughts decades later, but there would have been a better place to drop that information instead of on a PR tour for a movie about indiscriminate killing. Again, Liam Neeson was wrong.
This is basically my entire take on it.

Oct 27, 2017
No go on? He explained his actions.. he said he was not in the right frame of mind at the time.
He said he isn't racist,you don't believe him.
He said he is ashamed of his actions, you don't believe him.

If you were him at that point ( I wouldn't have said this at all that's for sure but let's say you did) what action would you take to satisfy people?
Why should I believe him? He confessed to attempting an incredibly racist murder and giving up after a week of failure.

Honestly I don’t know what he could do next to “satisfy people” because he’s more or less a complete piece of shit but he could begin by actually having a conversation about racism rather than acting like race plays no part in what he did.

Jan 24, 2018
Are people not allowed to change, especially if it was 40 years ago?
Who exactly stopped Neeson from changing? Who is stopping him now? Do you think people are going over to his house and going "Sorry Neeson you can't become a better person"?

Allowed to change... please. Neeson is free to do whatever he wants, including becoming a better person. The only person in control of that is Neeson. No one is allowing or stopping him from doing anything.

I seriously want you to tell me how people are literally preventing him from changing.

Oct 26, 2017
It must have been weird for him starring in Rob Roy with that background... maybe it was therapeutic but from what I remember it was also more about revenge (tho in that movie he had a direct target)

Nov 17, 2017
One thing to take out from this is that the guy may be fucked up, or this thing is still really eating him. I don't care enough to judge him - he didn't commit a crime and every person carries their personal cross. This seems like a reaaaally horrible state to put yourself in, but I don't know what happened since it's been 4 fucking decades. Anyway, opening up a discussion about rape victims and racism might be a good thing to come out of this, who knows.
You don’t care enough about black lives either, that much is clear.

Sinthe

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
User Banned (Duration Pending): Junior phase account excusing racism
Can you please for once have some sort of geographical and time context and not go full american, please? It was in Ireland, 40 years ago.

It's dumb what he said, it's dumb how he said it, but please stop judging people's old mistakes from different heritage with the the morality of today.

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
On repeat in this thread

"I can understand how he wanted to kill a random black person"

"I can understand how he wanted to kill a random black person"

But folks really can't understand how a marginalized person can feel about violent hate directed to them.

It is like a bunch of people watched a dude beat his wife then ran up to him made bandaged his knuckles and tsk tsk the wife for not being more considerate. Honestly is is just as damaging because it allows such hate to be continued and never addressed.

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of thinking is so strange to me. It's like you're actively trying to be upset.
Why? Would he have stopped every white person he saw in a mostly white country? Would he asked everyone if they were Lithuanian or Irish? Of course not. He's clearly lying.

Can you please for once have some sort of geographical and time context and not go full american, please? It was in Ireland, 40 years ago.

It's dumb what he said, it's dumb how he said it, but please stop judging people's old mistakes from different heritage with the the morality of today.
Mistakes don't last a full week. He repeatedly made a conscious choice every day for 7 days straight.

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, I'm with you on that. Shame on them for making me watch garbage...

Also, the whole "i would've done the same for any lithuanian/irish/whatever" is a lie. A disgusting fucking lie.
To be fair the way Ireland was back then revenge killings were quite frequent between Catholics & Protestant groups
I'm not knowledgeable enough of the time to say though would this extend to other groups/cultures as they weren't involved in the fracas at the time.

It's still happening now to some degree but nowhere near the scale that used to happen

Oct 31, 2017

I haven't read everything about Liam's case (just a few bits), so this isn't a defense of Neeson in general. On the subject of coming out about transgressions, racism, stereotyping, etc. in the past, I think we should definitely be encouraging more people to do so because it's a great learning experience for people falling into that line of thinking. It reminds me of Shirley Sherrod in 2010.

Brietbart, and the actual owner, Andrew Brietbart, took her quote out of context to act as if she was trying to ruin a white family's life and was proud of it, but her story was about how she realized it's not about color; it's about the haves and have-nots, and what she did to help them and how she became friends with them. And I remember actually getting angry watching TV (I don't normally) because she's getting into trouble for sharing what should be a great story of overcoming assumptions about another race, to the NAACP no less, and she's getting attacked for being a racist. And I'm thinking, "So is the moral of the story not to share if you overcame misogyny or racial prejudice?"

It's not the same story, so this isn't really to relate to Neeson's specific thing here (he's talking more about revenge and seems to be walking back the racial part). And depending on the context, it's all different. But in general, I wish more people would come out about stuff they thought in the past that was wrong, why it was wrong and what showed them the right path.

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read everything about Liam's case (just a few bits), so this isn't a defense of Neeson in general. On the subject of coming out about transgressions, racism, stereotyping, etc. in the past, I think we should definitely be encouraging more people to do so because it's a great learning experience for people falling into that line of thinking. It reminds me of Shirley Sherrod in 2010.

Brietbart, and the actual owner, Andrew Brietbart, took her quote out of context to act as if she was trying to ruin a white family's life and was proud of it, but her story was about how she realized it's not about color; it's about the haves and have-nots, and what she did to help them and how she became friends with them. And I remember actually getting angry watching TV (I don't normally) because she's getting into trouble for sharing what should be a great story of overcoming assumptions about another race, to the NAACP no less, and she's getting attacked for being a racist. And I'm thinking, "So is the moral of the story not to share if you overcame misogyny or racial prejudice?"

It's not the same story, so this isn't really to relate to Neeson's specific thing here (he's talking more about revenge and seems to be walking back the racial part). And depending on the context, it's all different. But in general, I wish more people would come out about stuff they thought in the past that was wrong, why it was wrong and what showed them the right path.
But Liam never addressed the racism, or the fact he made the woman's rape about himself. Other then to say he powerwalked and talked to a priest.

People need to stop filling in the blanks of redemption arcs

Oct 31, 2017

Thank you. I will watch both of these videos.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just recognizing the fact that since Trump is in office, we have people spew hate and bigotry on the national stage and it has become some what acceptable.

And here we have a 66 year old IRSH male, admitting shame to a thought he had when his friend got hurt, and who also has worked himself into the ground since his wife died. I mean we have people on this forum that don't talk to family members anymore because they hold certain views. This elderly guy is admitting shame in his original interview. And when I say elderly, is that they usually die holding their view points without changing.
Fuck using Trump as am excuse to redefine what is really bad racism and what isn't

Trump doesn't change what is and isn't acceptable.

Oct 25, 2017

I'll need to check but I'm pretty sure premeditated murder has always been frowned upon.

Oct 25, 2017
Let me ask you... who are you to say what he has or hasn't done, and what he should or should not do? Do you really know who this guy is apart from him admitting to have hit a rock bottom through acting like a psychopath 40 years ago? Should he provide receipts to satisfy every twitter persona or forum dweller to be amended for something he didn't do, probably years before you were even born?
He should have kept this fucking story to himself that's what he should have done

Oct 28, 2017
Why? Would he have stopped every white person he saw in a mostly white country? Would he asked everyone if they were Lithuanian or Irish? Of course not. He's clearly lying.
For a week straight, he had the will and the mindset to kill anybody who looked like his friend's attacker. I don't think Liam killing some random white dude with traits applicable to the attacker is outside the realm of possibility.

Yes, it's racist. No, I'm not defending his bloodlust. But I have a hard time believing that if his friend's attacker was white, that he would just snapped his fingers and went "aww shucks, if only it was a black guy."