Anime |OT| Winter 2019 - Stand with the Mob or Stand with your Friends

Oct 25, 2017
Some slaves love the MC so much they volunteer to be re-enslaved.
Yeah but some writers really like that subplot of female slaves falling in love with their dark misunderstood masters.
Couldn't they just marry. Or if they just like working for them be their subordinate a get a salary?
I dunno, just because a slave owner treats their slave as a pet instead of a labor machine it doesn't make them good.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe slavery is bad and your heroic protagonist shouldn't engage in it. Also, maybe Crunchyroll shouldn't be involved with the production of such morally/ethically bankrupt works.

Hey, I appreciate there's lots of trash in anime. I happen to enjoy a good amount of it. However, it's possible to make a trash anime that doesn't involve slavery or disgusting amounts of vile misogyny. You don't have to reach into the bottom of the gutter to drudge up this kind of material.
God, its going to feel so good when the red headed thief in Shield Hero finally gets whats coming to her.

Villain of the season. Fuck her, the blowhard heroes and the king.
Yikes

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they just marry. Or if they just like working for them be their subordinate a get a salary?
I dunno, just because a slave owner treats their slave as a pet instead of a labor machine it doesn't make them good.
I think the gist of it is that the author simply came up with mechanics that require slaves to be slaves for the MC to be more powerful or sth.

Honestly, as bad as that is by itself, it would still be much better than ALSO having several characters sweet talk the idea slavery and slave owners. As in, the show tells you that it might not really be such a bad thing.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
dunno what it is about slave ownership isekai that causes people to trip over themselves rushing to defend it.
Indeed, is it so hard for people to find junk food anime that doesn't include beyond horrible attributes of misogyny, trying to prop up the idea of false rape claims when we live a society where women live in fear of ever speaking out and having fucking slavery with a fucking both sides message about it (my fucking god, having her say I like being his slave...). Yes most junk food anime have problematic content/views, but Shield Hero makes them look minuscule. And before anyone goes oh but it gets better, no I've read the source material (because I hate myself), so don't bullshit me about it. This is not including the WN version which includes even more horrible elements of forced rape, guro and some other "fun" nuggets. While they may of been removed from the LN/Manga it doesn't change the fact that the author thought that such horrible and disgusting views/scenes are perfectly acceptable ideas. Even if editors clean up that shit, the oozes of the authors views still drip into the finished product in the same way Gate's nationalistic views were still seen coating the product even after editors attempt to clean it up.

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, is it so hard for people to find junk food anime that doesn't include beyond horrible attributes of misogyny, trying to prop up the idea of false rape claims when we live a society where women live in fear of ever speaking out and having fucking slavery with a fucking both sides message about it (my fucking god, having her say I like being his slave...). Yes most junk food anime have problematic content/views, but Shield Hero makes them look minuscule. And before anyone goes oh but it gets better, no I've read the source material (because I hate myself), so don't bullshit me about it. This is not including the WN version which includes even more horrible elements of forced rape, guro and some other "fun" nuggets. While they may of been removed from the LN/Manga it doesn't change the fact that the author thought that such horrible and disgusting views/scenes are perfectly acceptable ideas. Even if editors clean up that shit, the oozes of the authors views still drip into the finished product in the same way Gate's nationalistic views were still seen coating the product even after editors attempt to clean it up.
I don't really mind the false rape accusation (its dark though and I wouldn't fault anyone for having issues with it), the fallout and downfall of Naofumi that has resulted from that has been pretty interesting but the submissive loving slave thing is always indeed pretty skeevy and creepy considering how its portrayed as ultimately a healing thing for both of them when its.....super fucked up and unhealthy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
You know there was recently a thread complaining about just using "yikes" as a reaction, but along comes Slavery Hero to completely justify the existence of "yikes" as a reaction.
I think I get what he was referring to now.

Its fine to be upset at the show for using false rape accusations as a plotline but I wouldn't fault anyone for hating that character or the self righteousness of the others knowing that he's innocent, its pretty infuriating to watch the situation continue to play out.

Like I said, she's a really good villain. She took someone who had nothing and managed to find a new bottom for him to sink to.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I get what he was referring to now.

Its fine to be upset at the show for using false rape accusations as a plotline but I wouldn't fault anyone for hating that character, its pretty infuriating to watch the situation continue to play out.

Like I said, she's a really good villain. She took someone who had nothing and managed to find a bottom for him to sink to.
The character is born out of an incredibly misogynistic world-view and you are falling right into the trap.

Oct 27, 2017
The character is born out of an incredibly misogynistic world-view and you are falling right into the trap.
I won't dispute it, only really going on the four episodes I've seen. I assume a lot of people have far more knowledge of the series and the writer and can see those patterns emerging more in his work.

Going by Printer's post, these issues sound like they're going to go more in full force as it goes on.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch Shield Hero but if the guys was really a good slave owner couldn't he just free her?
She was free. The seal that binds her to him was removed and he didn’t push for her to get it back. She decided to be bound to him again and she sees the seal is a symbol of her trust in him now. Bit dumb and I think the show could have done that better.

Not entirely sure how the gamey aspect works here and whether her being a slave means more exp for him in fights or if its basically the same as if she was a regular party member.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Commentary
No, really. If you're upset about the false rape claim, then what about her stealing from him, cheating in the duel and the race and getting her father the king to stiff him with the hero stipend? She is a piece of shit.

She was free. The seal that binds her to him was removed and he didn’t push for her to get it back. She decided to be bound to him again and she sees the seal is a symbol of her trust in him now. Bit dumb and I think the show could have done that better.

Not entirely sure how the gamey aspect works here and whether her being a slave means more exp for him in fights or if its basically the same as if she was a regular party member.
Yeah his slaves and monsters get more xp. It's stupid, but it is what it is.

Oct 25, 2017
No, really. If you're upset about the false rape claim, then what about her stealing from him, cheating in the duel and the race and getting her father the king to stiff him with the hero stipend? She is a piece of shit.
That would require me to falsely view her as an actual character and not the strawman embodiment of the author's misogynistic views that she actually is.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit, it's not even justified by some ridiculous mechanics?

Then it's even worse and more than a "bit dumb".

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to spoil the story of Shield Hero for people currently enjoying the anime, even if I don't think this series deserves that kind of protection (or any fans whatsoever).

All I will say as someone who knows the outline of the story and fates of certain characters later on - it's clear that the authors harbors deeply misogynistic views of women. He uses and abuses them (in graphic detail) not only in the story, but as tools to push a worldview centered about male persecution at the hands of manipulative women.

This is a deeply problematic narrative to be pushing in "our world", where women live under the threat of physical and sexual violence and abuse, where coming forward to even discuss or report such abuse is extremely difficult. We live in an age where groups of men have gathered together to promote and develop their toxic and dangerous views of women which bear striking similarities to the views of women that we find Shield Hero.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah his slaves and monsters get more xp. It's stupid, but it is what it is.
Hm should have been mentioned then since her getting the crest again atleast also has a more practical effect then for their journey instead of just being symbolic. Raphtalia getting more exp after all helps both. Although this might have been mentioned in a episode before and I forgot still mentioning it here would have changed the scene a bit. I think it would have been better if her willingly getting the crest again changed its effect and the crest itself and made their connection different and even gave them some stat bonus or something. The symbolism stays but its not the same contract again

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to spoil the story of Shield Hero for people currently enjoying the anime, even if I don't think this series deserves that kind of protection (or any fans whatsoever).

All I will say as someone who knows the outline of the story and fates of certain characters later on - it's clear that the authors harbors deeply misogynistic views of women. He uses and abuses them (in graphic detail) not only in the story, but as tools in his story to push a worldview centered about male persecution.

This is a deeply problematic narrative to be pushing in "our world", where women live under the threat of physical and sexual violence and abuse, where coming forward to even discuss or report such abuse is extremely difficult. Where groups of men have gathered together to promote and develop their toxic views of women based on the same accusations of characterizations used in Shield Hero.
I appreciate the insight.

I think they mentioned something about this being a matriarchal society/world in one of the earlier episodes. Now I'm kind of afraid to see them bring that up again becuase it doesn't sound like it would be in a positive light.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still just happily enjoying Slime, which aside from a few questionable bits of fanservice popping up from time to time seems to not have the issues Shield Hero does. It does seem like the anime for Slime is going to stop far, far short of the end of the story though.

Oh, yeah, and Kaguya is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Popular is one thing but that it and its kind are the breakout hits in their respective seasons, at least in almost all of the US if I recall Crunchyroll Goblin Slayer stats correctly (dunno how the rest of the world faired), is worrying.

Oct 25, 2017
Theres probably an interesting way to compare Mob Psychos handling of an evil woman, having the power to enact vengeance and the overall message of people can improve to Shield Heros whatever the fuck.

But it would be embarrassing to compare the two.

Oct 25, 2017
I see Shield Hero is going to be "that" show of the season.

People are free to enjoy it, but dear god, just learn that it's not for everyone and don't try to die on its hill. If you like it, who gives a fuck if other people don't.

Oct 25, 2017
While we're bringing up moral complaints, I will say that I didn't appreciate the way the "first time" sketch in Kaguya reinforced the mindset that virginity is something to be ashamed of and that the more sexual conquests one racks up the more worth one has. That's a common enough teenage mindset, or at least has been - I can certainly remember hearing those views expressed by several of my peers in my Boy Scout troop when I was a teenager - and I did appreciate the way Kaguya's cluelessness punctured that mindset. Still, that mindset is one that encourages harm, in encouraging people to seek out and discard sexual conquests to prop up their own perceived value, so I was a bit bothered by its depiction in the show.