Assassin's Creed Origins |OT| Stalking in Memphis

GHG

Oct 26, 2017
I’m only like 2 hours in so just trying whatever I find.

I miss the old hit hit block hit counter hit hit
It's not like the previous games anymore and is a lot more technical now. The onus is on you to figure out a strategy to best deal with each combat encounter. It's a lot. More like dark souls in that sense now, like nullpointer said, positioning is key and will often dictate the outcome of each encounter.

I posted this earlier in the thread but it's well worth watching this if you are a beginner with his style of combat:

Understanding how to effectively use each type of weapon is important.

Septers and the heavy blades sweeping heavy attack are also useful in these scenarios if you want to take a more head on approach.

6/10 is probably the score I would give it. To me it means an enjoyable game with serious flaws. And that's exactly what Origins is.

A stunningly beautiful and detailed open world which is let down by poor presentation of the historical context of the Egyptian and Roman civil war and its characters, shallow RPG-lite systems and a frustratingly rigid implementation of no level scaling. And at its core the game still feels like a traditional Ubisoft game to me. I really wish games would move away from creating their open world around hunting down icons and question marks. If the gameplay systems of Origins were only half as good as its open world then this would be a contender for game of the generation. Sadly that's not the case.
So you're critical of the RPG elements because they aren't deep enough but then you want level scaling? Pardon me, but I'm struggling to see how that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the previous games anymore and is a lot more technical now. The onus is on you to figure out a strategy to best deal with each combat encounter. It's a lot. More like dark souls in that sense now, like nullpointer said, positioning is key and will often dictate the outcome of each encounter.

I posted this earlier in the thread but it's well worth watching this if you are a beginner with his style of combat:

Understanding how to effectively use each type of weapon is important.

Spectres and the heavy blades sweeping heavy attack are also useful in these scenarios if you want to take a more head on approach.

So you're critical of the RPG elements because they aren't deep enough but then you want level scaling? Pardon me, but I'm struggling to see how that makes any sense.
Awesome will check out the video thanks!

His Majesty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I
I don't want enemy scaling (at all) but the current implementation doesn't make sense either. You can get one-shotted by bandits, the same type of bandits you killed ten minutes prior. Level recommendations are very strict, two or more levels higher and combat encounters turn in a frustrating slog, yet the enemies you fight remain the same. Compared to e.g. the Gothic games there are no systems in place which can help you beat those higher level enemies. Loot progression is incremental and tied to your level. The only way to beat those higher level enemies is either to be very patient and chop away at their bloated amounts of health or level up yourself doing other activities and then return. None of which is satisfying.

As you can see this system is inherently tied to the awful loot system. So yeah I'm not too hot on Origins' gameplay mechanics.

Oct 28, 2017
Was just chatting with a buddy and now we both hope to see some kind of Tomb Raider-esque DLC. Some large, complicated tombs that reward exploration. All the core systems are in place for it.

I'd be in. But considering just how much I'm enjoying the game as it is, I'll be keeping a close eye on DLC for Origins, which is a first when it comes to AC games.

Also, they've won me over with the free-parkour-climbing system they have going on in Origins. Have spent plenty of time in Wildlands cursing that I was unable to climb up hillsides and the like. Having that freedom here is wonderful.
Feel the same. I'm considering the DLC because a) the gameworld doesn't cease to impress me b) the gameplay mechanics are all rewarding and fun.
Regarding gameplay, it all comes together in a way i didn't expect from an AC game. Archery is the biggest surprise on how good it feels, it has impact and i can pull off headshots from my horse or bang down a mounting enemy from far away. The combat is really fun and remains challenging troughout. Every weapon has unique ranges, animation startup, the hit boxes are precise with satisfactory soundeffects, shield gameplay is cool with possibility to parry, dodging has no invincibility like in souls so you have actually to pay attention on how you dodge, skilltree opens neat new moves that are actually meaningful in combat, fireballs, toxic arrows etc... bottom line the combat in this game is IMO very good and diverse after you get the hang of it especially when you realize that lock on is superfluos.
This solid gameplay foundation (traversal, stealth i will discuss another time) leads to interesting possibilities where they could go in this DLC, referring especially to the “Curse of the Pharao“ one. Battles against monsters or undeath mummies in a sinister and athmospheric dungeon type pyramid for example would be damn good.
Love the shit out of this game, didn't expect this at all.

emag

Oct 26, 2017
Leveling up is an archaic and outdated mechanic in general. I can't think of a modern game, let alone one in the action/adventure/open-world genre, in which XP-based "progression" adds to the experience instead of detracting from it. Certainly ACO's closest rivals, The Witcher III and Horizon Zero Dawn, are both hampered by it (add so too is the GotY, Nier Automata).

His Majesty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Leveling is fine as a means to acquire e.g. skill or attribute points but they should not be the main factor to determine health and damage output. Levels should certainly not decide which enemies you can and cannot fight. You have a loot system in place for that.

I agree that it's badly implemented as well in The Witcher 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Leveling up is an archaic and outdated mechanic in general. I can't think of a modern game, let alone one in the action/adventure/open-world genre, in which XP-based "progression" adds to the experience instead of detracting from it. Certainly ACO's closest rivals, The Witcher III and Horizon Zero Dawn, are both hampered by it (add so too is the GotY, Nier Automata).
Couldn't agree more. All of those games would have been much better imho if they ditched levels. Being continuously underleveled or overleveled sucks, as does stumbling upon side quests and having to stop yourself to check their level first. Or even worse, accidentally starting a quest 10+ levels above you and having no other option but to revert to a previous save to get out of it (happened to me a few times in the Witcher 3).

We have such huge and richly detailed worlds now, so I don't understand why so many series' are reverting to level scaling everything. If an enemy is tough, that should be apparent from more than just a number over their heads. And really, even with all the levels in the world encounters still come down to a few basic categories: Impossible, hard, even, easy and trivial, something that could exist perfectly fine without levels and all the extra systems you have to include to account for levels, like UI widgets to show whether your headshot will kill, upgrading systems for loot, auto-scaling systems and 'con' mechanics to determine whether that enemy over there is actually super impossible to beat compared to his identical clones with smaller numbers.

Even the loot game really comes down to item quality and perks, which could also be accomplished without strict levels.

/vent

Nov 7, 2017
Dodge until you can find an opening. Also use a spear.
Yes use spear and you can hold R1 for clearing out large groups. The trick is also to target one enemy and learn how to quickly switch between them using R3.

I was very vocal on combat since the first reveal but can safely say its moved in better direction and I am loving it now. I think combat became very fluid due to them prioritizing input vs animation. I tried playing Unity and couldn't stand more than 15 minutes.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish the loot system was more like an rpg. As it stands it's weapons only, you open a chest or loot people and you NEVER get outfits or anything, it's always weapons/money. Then the outfit variation itself is disappointing when it comes to numbers, as the vast majority are "recolors" mainly.

It'd have been great if they broke outfits down to parts, so you have a chest piece, leggins, gloves, pauldrons, hoods/helmets, etc. Then have these in the loot table along with weapons and other things. Then allow you to customize them even more with dyes or such.

I do like that they kept outfits cosmetic rather then going for stat-based, so you can wear whatever you think looks good rather then what has the best stats.
ACU had parts instead of whole outfits, I much preferred that. Combine that with the RPG style of ACO and that would be the best.

o’dium

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Mmmm, dem trees... Hope that patch comes soon...

Serious question guys, is it just me or am I levelling stupidly fast? I’ve barely done 3 hours of the game and I’m already level 13? I’ve seen two areas? Yet I’ve been told the level cap is 20...? That cant be right?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm, demo trees... Hope that patch comes soon...

Serious question guys, is it just me or am I levelling stupidly fast? I’ve barely done 3 hours of the game and I’m already level 13? I’ve seen two areas? Yet I’ve been told the level cap is 20...? That cant be right?
The level cap is 40

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I may be imagining things, but after fast traveling to one of the early game zones the lighting looked better there. Then I returned to the point where I was in the game and the whole game looks better. Maybe something was wrong with the lighting before? It looked flatter, now it looks good again.

Oct 25, 2017
so i take it the most recent patch is why i'm seeing so much flickering weirdness going on in the distance? damn, i just started the game yesterday too.

Oct 27, 2017
Started the game last night, i'm still roaming Siwa to clear up the ? (except that one place where bandits have a skull for level) i'm pleasantly surprised by what they've done with this title. It's the first AC i play since 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Mmmm, dem trees... Hope that patch comes soon...

Oct 29, 2017
I'm level 27 and have yet to start the first quest from the second chapter. Something is wrong with me.
I keep telling myself "Well once I run out of sidequests I can do, Ill go to talk to Aya" but the sidequests keep leveling me up and leading me into new areas with more sidequests

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This game is killing me with boring, awful side quests. Between this and the obnoxious HUD... my game experience has steadily declined. Went from a pretty high 8/10 to something like 6/10 and I'm struggling to make myself play it.

Oct 25, 2017
All the talk about how good it looks graphically has me wanting to get it for PC. Anyone know anywhere cheaper than CD Keys or is that the best place (I'm in Australia).

Nov 4, 2017
10 hours in, I'm enjoying the game a lot even though I really suck at combat. I'm trying to be as stealthy as possible.
The open world is one of the best I've seen.

But I'm really annoyed that they removed the database. If an AC game needed one, it's Origins. I know the virtual tour thing is coming up, but I want that info while I'm playing right now.
I'm also annoyed that Ubisoft's answer to the critic that their open world games are checklists seems to be to remove the progress tracker and stats. They did the same thing in Watch Dogs 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Got home and sat down to play some more, i started going after the first target, Medumanun and...well this happened.

He's the guy shooting an arrow at me once i'm on that tower and well...

Reviews seem to mention lack of interesting side quests and let gamers seem to say the opposite. What am I suppose to believe!?1?!
It's kinda the same problem most people had with Nier Automata's sidequests. The little stories around them and the dialogue are quite nice but the quests themselves are rather standard fetch/go kill X quests.

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda the same problem most people had with Nier Automata's sidequests. The little stories around them and the dialogue are quite nice
but the quests themselves are rather standard fetch/go kill X quests.
Even the main quests are like this. You go somewhere and kill someone. The AC series is literally "Go Somewhere, Kill Someone - The Game". And all this is usually surrounded by one overarching fetch quest. So the series is also literally "Fetch Quest - The Game".

Nov 2, 2017
If not for the characters and setting which keeps me wanting to hear more story and see more places in the game, I think I’d find the game boring. I am addicted to it though. The setting and story are compelling enough for me to put up with the bad AI. Combat is satisfying enough.

Even the main quests are like this. You go somewhere and kill someone. The AC series is literally "Go Somewhere, Kill Someone - The Game". And all this is usually surrounded by one overarching fetch quest. So the series is also literally "Fetch Quest - The Game".
I agree it's basically what you sign up for and it's not a problem in itself for me. It's just that it becomes a slog when you stretch this gameplay loop for too long.
My advice is usually to not try and do everything right off the bat but sometimes that means you miss some of the more charming sidequests in terms of dialogue.

GHG

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want enemy scaling (at all) but the current implementation doesn't make sense either. You can get one-shotted by bandits, the same type of bandits you killed ten minutes prior. Level recommendations are very strict, two or more levels higher and combat encounters turn in a frustrating slog, yet the enemies you fight remain the same. Compared to e.g. the Gothic games there are no systems in place which can help you beat those higher level enemies. Loot progression is incremental and tied to your level. The only way to beat those higher level enemies is either to be very patient and chop away at their bloated amounts of health or level up yourself doing other activities and then return. None of which is satisfying.

As you can see this system is inherently tied to the awful loot system. So yeah I'm not too hot on Origins' gameplay mechanics.
We're in agreement then because I actually hate any kind of scaling (both enemy and weapon). It's the first thing I mod out of Skyrim and Oblivion when I can. I'll probably check out Elex after I'm done with this as it sounds right up my alley. If it's an open world RPG game you should not be able to go anywhere and do anything from the moment you run out into the world as a scrub. You should either have to get better gear or have gained a reasonable amount of knowledge about your enemy's weaknesses before being able to take on higher level stuff. There's usually a great deal of satisfaction that goes with conquering higher level enemies in games like that.

The one huge criticism I would give about this AC game is the fact that they make it nigh on impossible to take out enemies at a higher level than you. I'm not saying you should be able to just run in guns blazing and still come out alive, that would be silly. But I think that if you have the right weapons (e.g. Everything should be vulnerable to sleeping darts but the amount of time you get should differ) or if you've taken the time to upgrade your hidden blade to max level you should be able to take out higher level stuff if you employ the correct strategy.

It's correct in that being overleveled means that you can burn through lower level enemies and one shot them (as it should be) but it's the underleveled mechanics that are whack in this game. If I break into a fort crawling with level 40 enemies and miraculously manage to sneak past them at level 20 then I should be rewarded with some sweet gear. But no, all you get is some shitty level 20 weapon. Why would you have some hulking level 40 guys guarding some level 20 gear? It makes no sense.

For some reason i can't do these attacks anymore. It just gives me extra damage.
Have you unlocked that perk? It's to the bottom left of the skill tree.

Reviews seem to mention lack of interesting side quests and let gamers seem to say the opposite. What am I suppose to believe!?1?!
Honestly, some of the side quests are better than the main quest in this game. There are some really elaborate ones that either give you a great insight into what the world was like at the time or they really flesh out Bayek's story. There are also a few I've stumbled across that have actually been humourous. It's the main quest that's nonsense IMO. I literally have no idea what's going on with the main quest half the time. Some of it gets really trippy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason i can't do these attacks anymore. It just gives me extra damage.
Certain weapons have an overpowered attack. Others instead give a damage boost. The ones I know of that give a damage boost are sickle swords, scepters, and I think the blunt weapons. Reason why I avoid those weapons.

Been using a cursed sword and it’s quite fun. Also helps keep fights more challenging even when you’re a bit overleveled. If the enemy isn’t dead already that is.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know anything about a glitch at Khufu Temple Hideout? The captain im supposed to kill to clear the area is nowhere in sight. I did the quest from the person in the cage here and came back, and I have advanced time several times. Still not here. Impossible to complete this one?

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The side quests are really good. Every one of them give more life to the setting. Of course, it lack the choice-factor of Witcher 3 but still, very good.

If you like the setting, you'll love the side quest.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know anything about a glitch at Khufu Temple Hideout? The captain im supposed to kill to clear the area is nowhere in sight. I did the quest from the person in the cage here and came back, and I have advanced time several times. Still not here. Impossible to complete this one?
Check some of the other camps or just around the area. One of mine wandered over to another camp I had already cleared and decided to stay there. I found another one fighting some rebels really far from his camp.