I still can't believe Ace Combat 7 exists in today's market

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Combat 7 is one of the most interesting games to release in the current generation.
I am not talking about this with regards to the game's quality or story content or anything like that. I am talking about this purely from a publishing stand point and the way the industry seemingly operates currently.

Ace Combat 7 feels like an absolute anomaly in the current market.

It is a 2019 release with the following "features":
  • A primarily single player experience
  • A relatively short single player experience with emphasis on replayability (10 hours is the upper bound for 1st play through length if you watch all the cutscenes)
  • A rather niche franchise
  • Almost no micro transactions outside of the season pass
  • The last major entry was a critical disaster and after that all we had was a cult F2P game that was also a critical disaster.
  • An attempt to return to the series strongest point, which many would say is the PS2 era.
  • The 7th mainline game in a 20 year old franchise with a world that keeps being built upon.
The reason I find AC7 to be so interesting is because it's a bit of a weird time capsule. It's effectively a playstation 2 era game repackaged and released in the modern era. All the things that publishers seem to be so adverse to are part of AC7 in some way. Ace Combat 7 didn't try to go for mass appeal, it didn't try to reinvent itself for the modern age, it didn't try to load itself up with microtransactions. No, ace combat 7 only tried to appeal to the people who it knew would buy the game, in many ways it's a game for the fans who have been with the franchise for so long. It's especially interesting that Kazutoki Kono has been the face of AC7 and while he is credited as a producer this time around he has been labeled as a brand manager in interviews. It's like the devs were more interested in making a game that was distinctly a call back to ace combat's glory day's rather than a modern adaptation of the franchise conventions.

I also say this franchise is niche because, if you strip away its story and setting it's an arcade jet fighter score attack game. Most other games similar to it are either full on simulators, or tiny indie games. There just doesnt seem to be a huge market for these kinds of games.

It's a game that if we were to believe what the publishers say about the market should not exist. Yet not only is it real, but it reviewed well and apparently is selling well enough for the developers and publishers to be happy about it on twitter for whatever that's worth.

I used to joke that after infinity Ace Combat was dead but here we are.

Sorry if half the post doesn't make sense or feels like stream of consciousness ramble, I typed up half of this on my phone and didn't proof read.

May 27, 2018
I agree with all that you say. I find it amazing that it's selling so well given how the market works nowadays and I'm already dreaming with part 8. If VR becomes bigger next gen, I think AC8 would become one of its "top guns" for how well it adapts to the format.

Oct 27, 2017
It warms my heart to see it selling well. Game is truely one of the best games this generation. Infact it is one of the best if not the best one in the series itself (which is one of those that have so many good games).

Oct 26, 2017
Right there with ya. I played AC4 a coupe years ago and the game totally sucked me in. With AC7 I was completely shocked how much it mirrored the AC4 experience, right down to the menus, mission prep, UI, encounter design, soundtrack - just everything. Yet it still felt fresh.

I know that between this and RE2 there is absolutely a market for these focused single player games that hearken back to the early days.

Oct 28, 2017
It has the Sand Storm mission....and then the mission directly after that. 2 hours to pass two 15 minute missions. (I had to change planes and memorize patterns after failing so much)

Ace Combat 6 was a better game and the DLC skins made MP great nobody ever picked default skins.

But by jove the sand storm mission is one of the most frustrating things ive ever done in my life.
I basically had to fail it multiple times so i could "muscle memory" my way to completion.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game not riding on a massive development and marketing budget trying to recoup ridiculous costs but instead focuses on what fans of the genre want from it and delivering on that aspect. Keep in mind more 'realistic'-ish flight sims have become a rare breed these days, but the market that exist for them is rather fanatic and has purchasing power. Like you said they carved their niche and carved it well and it paid off.

Oct 27, 2017
warmed the heart to see it sell well on the NPD chart. Hope they make more.

on a side note, also hope EA takes notice that these kinds of games can sell and resurrects Rogue Squadron.
All they need to do is call Factor 5 back and set them up to work with Criterion and...that'll never happen.

On-topic I really disliked the campaign but it feels so good to play in spite of the questionable mission design. It's a good game that I never want to revisit for the story again lol

Oct 28, 2017
  • The last major entry was a critical disaster and after that all we had was a cult F2P game that was also a critical disaster.
Ace Combat Infinity was actually very successful according to producer Kazutoki Kono.
https://www.dualshockers.com/ace-combat-7-interview/
G: Switching gears for a moment, Ace Combat Infinity was definitely a bold experiment. Is it considered a success at Bandai Namco?
KK:
The project was really successful. It has been going on for three years, and that wouldn’t happen if it wasn’t successful. In Japan this console free to play version is going well, and it’s the only version of the franchise that you can play for free all over the world. That said, I think that many elements of the game could have been done better.

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It was exactly what fans wanted down a T and also is accessible enough to a new audience.

It's one of the best games I've played this generation, in part because it's one of the few games that actually exceeded my expectations.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved it and am delighted it did well! I really hope this leads to more and Namco's success with this and Tekken paves the way for a traditional but awesome Ridge Racer.

Honestly with Ace Combat 7 the only thing I would like to add is some co-op multiplayer like the Infinity modes.

OP
OP
Not Spaceghost
Oct 25, 2017
God if we could get a new Ridge Racer and Klonoa id be back in the PS1/PS2 glory days again.
I really hope this leads to more and Namco's success with this and Tekken paves the way for a traditional but awesome Ridge Racer.
I'd love a new Ridge Racer.
I've been playing tons of RRT4 on my vita.

Honestly with Ace Combat 7 the only thing I would like to add is some co-op multiplayer like the Infinity modes.
Agreed, I would have loved some co-op missions. Maybe even something like RE5 mercenaries but in ace combat would've been great. Increasing difficulty with waves and seeing if you can survive to the end.