So I bought and tried out NiOh, and what this game expects of you is ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh is far from an easy game, so it's not a game for everyone. If you persists, soon you will unlock a spell that slows enemy by a ton, which will greatly help for your initial run of the campaign.

Also Nioh is a RPG, through and through. It's definitely important to be sure that you are reasonably geared for your content, looking for out set items for their huge set bonuses. Also for beginners, I will always recommend spear. The long reach makes it an incredibly defensive weapon to make up for this game's lack of a shield.

May 11, 2018
I felt the responsiveness of the game was a bit higher than Soulsborne, so it felt easier.
Wait until you reach some of the later stages and bosses. I remember spending a lot of time on Umi Bozu and Yuki Onna and didn’t particularly like those long tongued monk oni but with some patience/practice, everything seems to make sense eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
General tips for early game:
- Use Kusarigama in high stance for damage
- Use Tonfa for humans
- Pick Isonade as the starter, don't worry you get the other 2 you didn't pick after the first region (and by then you should be using Kato or Paired Raiken)
- Don't fall in the Souls trap of thinking you should avoid Magic and Dex stat because you don't want to play a "caster" type style. You're going to need Onmyo and Ninjutsus.

Ninjutsu you should be using early game:
Blinding Shell

Onmyo you should be using early game:
Pick an element talisman (lightning or water is best)
Sloth
Guardian Talisman
Steel

Oct 27, 2017
The game starts off incredibly hard.
If you stick with it and get used to the combat, you'll be jobbing these guys in no time.
That's the biggest difference between this and souls games. Souls is hard throughout, Nioh is only hard early on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad you aren't having fun.

I was completely new to these types of games. Never really enjoyed dark souls.

But nioh, I absolutely loved.

I'll be honest, I never really found it hard? And I'm a scrub. If I could do it, anyone can, lol.

I forgot what weapon I stuck with. Either dual or the kusa.

Might have been the kusa. Remember swinging that shit around.

Game was probably hard in the beginning. I don't doubt that. But it gets easier and easier.

Game is fucking long as shit though. You'll probably burn out like I did before even finishing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Like the majority of Souls like games, the beginning of them is the toughest and makes you learn individual enemy patterns and when to strike, and in a way, the opposite as well. As you'll die plenty. It more comes down to if you can be bothered to put up with it. Its worth it though, as it's one of the best Souls like games out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, I have played SoulsBorne games before. I played DS3 up until right after the tree boss and kinda didn't feel like going on further because it just felt like work. Bloodborne I've owned for three years and still haven't gotten past the first area.
Yea, I don't think this is the game for you after reading this, though I can understand the sentiment. It can honestly take me a year to two to beat games like this because I'll hit a wall, take a long break, only to come back to it and beat it easily and continue on.

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I share your exact sentiments OP, though for me that's mostly coming from hating the idea of basic actions such as attacking, running, guarding, and dodging being tied to a singular stamina meter in an action game. Same reason why I dropped Bloodborne.

The game starts off incredibly hard.
If you stick with it and get used to the combat, you'll be jobbing these guys in no time.
That's the biggest difference between this and souls games. Souls is hard throughout, Nioh is only hard early on.
Pretty much, though if you push through the difficulties, there's a huge spike around Way of the Demon and Way of the Nioh, but they can be overcome by gearing up. Though I only recommend going beyond Way of the Strong if you're passionate about the gameplay. There's no new story content in the higher tiers.

I forgot what weapon I stuck with. Either dual or the kusa.

Might have been the kusa. Remember swinging that shit around.
It was probably the Kusa. It and the Odachi kinda trivialize the game, in a good way.

Oct 25, 2017
_(:3 」∠)_
I feel personally bad when people tune out of Nioh early game, because once you get access to the full skill tree it plays way more like a Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls.

Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just to clarify, I have played SoulsBorne games before. I played DS3 up until right after the tree boss and kinda didn't feel like going on further because it just felt like work. Bloodborne I've owned for three years and still haven't gotten past the first area.
Because of online impressions saying it was less like a souls game and more of a straight up action game.
Yeah regardless of what you heard online you were never going to like this game, it's definitely not for you. Even if it is more of an action game, it's still an action game on hard mode minimum with a Dark Souls loop (fail, learn, repeat).

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, though if you push through the difficulties, there's a huge spike around Way of the Demon and Way of the Nioh, but they can be overcome by gearing up. Though I only recommend going beyond Way of the Strong if you're passionate about the gameplay. There's no new story content in the higher tiers.

It was probably the Kusa. It and the Odachi kinda trivialize the game, in a good way.
Yeah, just checked, the kusa.

Loved that fucking thing. Getting in close, and swinging it around, and just brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr as the damage numbers just pop lol.

Yeah, just checked, the kusa.

Loved that fucking thing. Getting in close, and swinging it around, and just brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr as the damage numbers just pop lol.
I ignored it in favour of the single sword and spear in my first 100~ hours but I picked it up for DLC1 (which has a lot of crowded spaces) and I felt like a god of destruction. Especially since that was around the time I began understanding skills so my damage output was comically inflated.

Apr 5, 2018
I thought there was going to be legitimate complaints in this thread, but it seems like the primary issue is you suck? Don't really see how that is the games fault. I found it quite easy for the most part.

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't think the game was that hard but it gets sooooo reptitive and boring later, the game is just one huge slog. When I first got it at launch I was overwhelmed with how awesome it was because of how Soulsy it felt but 60 hours later and the same shit over and over again, repeated enemies, areas, combat, abundance of worthless loot....uGh it was just too long. The bosses were all really good though so I did finish it but I don't really rate the game as anything special.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't touched it in a while. I was having trouble mastering that ki pulse thing, was like an active reload system. I think my head is still just stuck in Dark Souls mode and it isn't used to having a button to bump for recovery. And the loot. So much loot. It's almost overwhelming. I do appreciate how generous it is with every detail and every stat being explained and tutorials, especially compared to Dark Souls, but I definitely felt in over my head with a few mechanics (like the stances) early on and just fell off of it. I'll probably give it a shot again down the road but it's definitely not an easy game to get into.

Feb 21, 2019
I just enabled god mode via a Cheat Engine table and blazed through the game. I don't have that much time any more to play these hard-ass Souls-like games.

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
First Battle Royale now Nioh. Do you have serious FOMO or something. Seriously looks like you need to find your lane and stick to it.

As for Nioh I didn’t find it hard, in fact its got the best combat in a soulslike. Everything else is boring as shit though and I lost interest quick, should finish someday.

May 29, 2018
Out of all of the soulsborne games and Nioh, it was probably the easiest of the bunch. I’m not saying I’m this amazing video game god, it’s just the way I play rpgs is I usually overprepare for any encounter which usually means I’m overleveled

Nov 12, 2017
Because of online impressions saying it was less like a souls game and more of a straight up action game.
This was my experience with it. I don't like any Souls game but Nioh? Yes please and into my veins.

Dodging is extremely powerful in this game because of the distance it covers. You can dodge most things in the game just by physically moving out of the way with a dodge, instead of perfectly-timed i-frame abusing dodges.

Also, if you find yourself overwhelmed, Ninjutsu is your best friend. Invisibility that lets you skip most encounters, debuffs for enemies (caltrops/makibishi are incredible), shit like auto-resurrecting up to three times in a single fight, power pills to increase damage dealt (thus making fights shorter, minimizing the possibility of screwing up)... That's not even taking into account the dual element debuff thing (Confusion, I think?) that literally makes even bosses become inert punching bags.

Oh, and you can just use amrita stones to regenerate and abuse the shit out of your Spirit Weapon. Essentially becoming an invulnerable berserker.

Don't give up, OP. Give in and become one with the cheap exploitable tactics.

It seems like this game isn't for you. But I can assure you it's not that hard.

The cyclops have, what? 3 attacks if I'm not mistaken:
- one swing to the side that they can continue up to three attacks
- one straight attack when they jump at you and attack you with their two arms at the same time
- another straight attack when they jump ON you (good opportunity to attack their eye if they miss)

The way that I defeat them is to come close enough to let them do a swing, wait a little to be sure that they won't do a combo and hit. Rinse and repeat. Sometime, they do the jump attack but it's not different. Stay close, but not too much, wait, when they attack, do a back dodge, then go in and attack. And when you're good enough, you can even stay close to them and dodge to the side when they do their swing attack (but in the right direction, if the attack comes from the right, dodge to the right).

And for the boss, be sure to have the "needles thing" that cures you from paralysis. You can find some in a cave to the left, just before the last barrier and the last straight road to the boss.

And you can also use a cup thing to summon someone.

Last edited:
Once you understand the combat the game isn’t difficult at all. It can be punishing if you make mistakes, yes, but the lack of enemy variety and redundant encounter design never forces you to do anything other than dodge and spam your most favoritest combo.

Nov 23, 2017
I remember Hino-Enma being a really rough boss to encounter so early in the game. You're in for another steep spike in difficulty there.
Yeah, she was a really tough one. I also raged really hard at this water blob thing... Umi Bozu. I finally gave up on Yuki Onna (that ice princess). Couldn't beat her after countless tries, tried again some days later, again countless tries and then I gave up on Nioh. Had fun until that part, but she was the first boss in a soulslike that made me quit the game and not restart it.

Feb 2, 2018
Denmark
I didn't find the game to be that hard. It has the typical learning curve of this type of game, maybe slightly harder than Souls games to begin with. Easier than Ninja Gaiden for sure. If the beginning of the game frustrates to the point of giving up there's no hope getting past some of the bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, she was a really tough one. I also raged really hard at this water blob thing... Umi Bozu. I finally gave up on Yuki Onna (that ice princess). Couldn't beat her after countless tries, tried again some days later, again countless tries and then I gave up on Nioh. Had fun until that part, but she was the first boss in a soulslike that made me quit the game and not restart it.
Later in the game you fight Yuki Onna + another boss at the same time as a side mission.

Nioh pretty much demands that you always get better.

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing after beating the third region and i don't remember why...

I surely had my fun even when some bosses and mid-bosses were quite tough in the beginning. You really have to learn the patterns of the bosses.

Please stick around till Hino Emma, aka bat bitch

I wanna see your salt
Oh i remember her.

I tried a few times but was able to beat her. Cool feeling after finally beating her but the first fights against her are not fun. She really tests you...

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I beat the first boss of the expansion, which was an insane level jump from the last boss of the base game, and found out the levels were only going to keep jumping.
So as someone who beat the base game at launch and then fell off before the first dlc came out, this has been a real exciting concept and just made me reinstall the game. Can’t wait to get back into this and see all the additions I’ve missed out on. Glad this thread exists simply because it’s reminded me how much I loved Nioh to begin with.

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely love Nioh.

Once the combat clicked, the game was really not that difficult. I actually found it easier than Bloodborne. To this day I can't defeat Master Logarius but I've finished all of Nioh including the DLC.

Any reliable numbers out there showing how many people have actually finished this game? I'm thinking less than 5 percent?
Around 5% is the platinum on PS4. The last battle trophy is currently at 26.2%. So definitely more than that if you also take the PC version into account.

Oct 31, 2017
I played the game offline and the only boss that gave me some trouble was that frog boss. But once you learn his paterns, your good. Sucka when you run out of elixirs.
Frog boss was hell at first but once you learn his patterns and bury him, it’s sooooo gratifying.

OP why don’t you upload some gameplay footage so we can tell you what you need to work on? Nioh is a blast and once you get through the caves the game clicks and it’s enormously fun to clear each mission section by section.

Oct 29, 2017
Nioh is almost my perfect game. Combines my two favourite games, dark souls and diablo. It had problems but I really hope they can solve them in the sequel as for me it's so close to perfection!

Loooooooooooooot!!!!!

Nothing really to add just wanted to say this. OP I hope you stick with it.