• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Jade Raymond joins Google as VP

Nov 19, 2017
I'm not sure why she had to emphasize that she joined as a VP.. definitely a producer/managing optics type.

Not impressed with her work after AC but she's leagues beyond all/most of us, of course!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for google's ambitions for gaming because I'm positive it will be stupid and they'll abandon it like they do just about everything that isn't maps and google and ads but I'm glad for Jade. This is a baller ass job.

I don't think she is anything special that this is some giant get but good for her nonetheless.

Oct 27, 2017
Good for her! I remember when AC1 launched and Ubi sent her out to promote the game and people were giving her shit for being a woman and "only a producer". She is now laughing all the way to the bank.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people here treat her like she is some legendary developer, but I look at her resume and I'm like... why? Well, I can only assume why.
Never understood it. Outside of her being attractive to many, I look at her resume and I see a leader, but I don't see some crazy accomplished Captain Marvel of the gaming industry that people make her out to be. I think being attractive is easily +25 to illusion though.
Uh so we're just gonna let these posts chill?

Oct 25, 2017
I will never forget this photo op and thinking about how the massive team behind her must be resentful. I'm sure it was Ubisoft pushing it.

Grats to her, I want to remain optimistic about a google console but they constantly abandon their hardware so we'll see

Nov 21, 2018
VP does not mean much it's just a job title.
So without a job description and responsibilities there is not much to get from this.

Microsoft for example has CVPs for Cloud Gaming, Xbox Program Management, etc.
VP is just generally above General Manager.

There are still a lot of people above you. Even in your subdivision.
So i doubt she'll be head of gaming for Google. That would be a huge career step

companies like Google have a million VPs. She could still be doing similar things as before.
Millions is a little exaggeration, but there're thousands.

Aug 20, 2018
So without a job description and responsibilities there is not much to get from this.

So i doubt she'll be head of gaming for Google. That would be a huge career step
word. There's VPs all over the office in my workplace (an investment). Heck, a bum like me without a college degree has a title of AVP.

Don't get hung up by a title too much, folks.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia
being VP of a division , is huge, Phil is VP with MS and we see how much has change since then, she is VP of probably gaming at Google, Thats huge. There isnt a president of gaming, there's the CEO and then the VPs. For better or worse, Google is going to announce something big.
yeah but we know Phil Harrison is also there as a VP/GM in some capacity, there's no guarantee she's Google's equivalent to Phil Spencer

we'll know more at GDC but there seem to be a lot of assumptions being tossed around in here

Oct 29, 2017
I never realised she was held in such high regard here. Many of the responses come across like she is a titan in the gaming industry, not unlike Google snatching up Shigeru Miyamoto or John Carmack. Are Assassin's Creed 1 and Watch_Dogs that widely beloved on ResetEra?
Raymond isn't really analogous to Miyamoto or Carmack, who have extensive game design backgrounds. She started out as a programmer, but shifted into management after a few years. Phil Harrison or Andrew Wilson would be a better comparison in terms of her role.

I think the posts questioning her resume are missing that she's not like a lead game developer, she's an executive. There aren't a ton of people floating around with experience managing or building a large videogame studio, so this seems like a solid addition for Google.

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn

Millions is a little exaggeration, but there're thousands.
I don't know about now but as of 2013, Google has about 100 vice presidents among 37,000 employees.
So a vice president is about the top 0.2% of all employees. I think that indicate the importance of the job.

Oct 25, 2017
99% of the developers in this picture look completely miserable. lol what an odd photo.
It was for the first Assassin's Creed, they probably were all exhausted having done hundreds of hours of overtime. Ubisoft was taking advantage of Jade's newfound celebrity/sex appeal.

For all we know Jade worked just as many hours or more but it must have made for some awkward office dynamics.

Oct 27, 2017
It was for the first Assassin's Creed, they probably were all exhausted having done hundreds of hours of overtime. Ubisoft was taking advantage of Jade's newfound celebrity/sex appeal.

For all we know Jade worked just as many hours or more but it must have made for some awkward office dynamics.
Having a close friend who have work with her as a project manager on Assasin creed 2, yeah, he wasn't really impress by his work... but this is just one side of the medal i think...