Quake 2 RTX annouced - NV supported version of Q2VKPT

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-ray-tracing-vulkan-vkray-geforce-rtx/

Tons of crazy stuff announced at GTC. Remember Quake 2 path tracing (Q2VKPT)? Well that is being updated with the creators help and NV's support and being released as a stand alone thing. ANd the way Jensen said it on stage, it will be an open source product uploaded to Git just like Qake2 Path Tracing.
Description:
As Christoph states on his site, Q2VKPT is the basis for future research, and a platform for more ray tracing goodness. So, we reached out shortly after Q2VKPT’s release to ask if our own ray tracing experts, many of whom he worked with previously, could develop some additions. He said yes, and this week NVIDIA is presenting the newly-created Quake II RTX with Christoph at GDC 2019.

Running on a Vulkan renderer, with support for Linux, Quake II RTX is a pure ray-traced game. That means all lighting, reflections, shadows and VFX are ray-traced, with no traditional effects or techniques utilized.

“But what’s new with Quake II RTX compared to Q2VKPT?”, you ask. A lot. We’ve introduced real-time, controllable time of day lighting, with accurate sunlight and indirect illumination; refraction on water and glass; emissive, reflective and transparent surfaces; normal and roughness maps for added surface detail; particle and laser effects for weapons; procedural environment maps featuring mountains, sky and clouds, which are updated when the time of day is changed; a flare gun for illuminating dark corners where enemies lurk; an improved denoiser; SLI support (hands-up if you rolled with Voodoo 2 SLI back in the day); Quake 2 XP high-detail weapons, models and textures; optional NVIDIA Flow fire, smoke and particle effects, and much more!
Non-path traced:

path-traced:

non-path-traced:

path-traced:

non-path-traced:

path-traced:

I basically am instagibbed by this announcement.

OP
OP
Dictator

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Oct 27, 2017
Running on a Vulkan renderer, with support for Linux, Quake II RTX is a pure ray-traced game. That means all lighting, reflections, shadows and VFX are ray-traced, with no traditional effects or techniques utilized.
Nice. Makes me wish I had a 2080 now. Probably the first Linux game with Ray tracing

That looks fucking amazing, though my 980ti can't play with it. But it presents a very cool possibility for early native ray-traced games featuring ultra-realistic lighting with low-poly environments and characters. Nvidia should fund an indie studio to do something like that right now.

edit: it's about time they remade Myst again. Imagine raytraced Myst.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
It's cool, but I'm not super impressed to be honest. Why? It looks too bright, clean, and shiny. This fits with a reservation that I've always had about fully ray traced games: I don't think that realistic lighting is always the best fit for certain aesthetics.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a straight up Quake 2 remake with that much work done. Literally the most advanced game in 2019.

Absolutely cannot wait for this to come out.

Nov 14, 2017
So this is full path tracing GI/reflections/occlusion right? Not just using ray tracing for to achieve only one of those features?

I really hope path tracing makes a lot of progress. As nice as having RT is, having PT gives such a unified look to things. I remember those Brigade 3 demos fondly...

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool, but I'm not super impressed to be honest. Why? It looks too bright, clean, and shiny.
Doesn't look like they've touched the assets themselves outside of making materials physically based and making up properties to go with them. All that's neither here nor there when the focus is the lighting.

Oct 29, 2017
That looks fucking amazing, though my 980ti can't play with it. But it presents a very cool possibility for early native ray-traced games featuring ultra-realistic lighting with low-poly environments and characters. Nvidia should fund an indie studio to do something like that right now.

edit: it's about time they remade Myst again. Imagine raytraced Myst.
This idea is perfect for games that have the arts and crafts look. Low poly because they are origami or cardboard, but the lighting and materials are photorealistic