Sony Cracks Down on Sexually Explicit Content in Games (Article States That It Refers to Underage Characters: Check Threadmarks)

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's art from the anime, with the visual novel being more proportional to the point where I would label most of them as young adults.
Yeah, that's going to be a "several of those are still children" from me, chief.

Please see the quoted image of Castile's post on this page rather than using chibi artwork from an anime short adaptation
See above.

I did say I was working on building a list. You dont' exactly expect me to have a huge list of titles on hand do you?
I do expect "numerous examples" to mean "more than zero", yes. You provided zero examples at first, then two examples, none of which met your original statement (one of them was on Capcom and was rolled back, the other actually contains underage characters).

*googles*

Seems legit. /s

Some of the characters in Haruoto Alice Gram: Snow Drop (I'm not embedding this one because it seems a bit TOO iffy and one of the characters is understandable methinks)
Paint me confused that your examples of this "affecting games with no underage sexualization" are of games with underage sexualization, even by your own admission.

So to sum up: every single example you've provided contains underage characters. The strongest claim you can make is that when these games are censored, they don't take chances and censor all the characters, including the ones that you could maybe, perhaps, make a case that look vaguely adult. That's a completely different claim from "games with no underage characters being censored".

Oct 25, 2017
Because only pathetic horny nerds on the Interwebz care about not seeing a few seconds of digital tits. This doesn't need any more publicity than it has gotten.

What does crossplay have to do with tits? Again, SONY RELEASED A GAME ON THEIR PS+ SERVICE WITH FULL FRONTAL NUDITY TWO WEEKS AGO. Like, they actively sought to make a deal with the company responsible for the game to get it on their monthly offerings, with the full knowledge that the possibility of fully vissible boobs and cocks is a thing in the game. Doesn't sound like a company who'd get their panties in a bunch for a few seconds of (adult) nudity in another game.
Conan Exiles is censored on PS4 in the US lmao (unless anything changed, it was certainly the case last year)

Jun 21, 2018
Because Capcom did t censor it.

That is irrelevant to her being censored on PS4 if you cannot prove your claim that Sony is responsible for it. Capcom decided to censore her for some reason. Sony didn't care that it was only censored in certain regions or that it was patched to uncensored shortly after realise. They would care if they were the ones who censored, what part of that don't you understand?

And there was no outcry outside of Era. Everywhere that was talking about the game was gushing all over it. Unless Sony really cares about that one Percy video game channel there was no pressure to undo anything.
Capcom just got up in the morning on March 8th and said "Oh boy, time to censor the PS4 version of DMC V in the West. The Xbox version? Nah keep that the same."?

No outcry? Are you kidding me? It got picked up by all the gaming outlets. It got far more coverage than the other cases.
Have we had any devs come forward about their games being censored by Sony? Besides the more... questionable ones like we've seen in some examples? People keep saying Sony's policy isn't clear, but we arent even seeing examples of games rejected that aren't immediately, obviously, problematic as shit in 2019.
I remember Atlus for Catherine Full Body said "We went as far as we could go without the light shining." in response to questions of the famous light censorship by Sony.

Mar 18, 2018
Complete disagreement, and yeah you are using a hyporbolic language by stating that they look like eight year olds. Not even their heights come close to the average height of an eight year old kid.
Well clearly were at an impasse because I don't see how anyone could look at the below and sees characters that are anything but quite litteraly pre-pubescant children with size F breasts stuck on top.

I'll give maybe the third image looks more like 13 or 14 with breasts on top but that's not exactly a high victory right there. The face is quite clearly meant to look much younger.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of bizarre how normalized pandering to pedophiles has become to the point that people openly defend it. Is it the belief that it minimizes the risk of people becoming actual offenders?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's going to be a "several of those are still children" from me, chief.
Here's the rest of the cast from that game
Ooops, my bad. Got mixed up between the anime and VN artwork. Actually, where'd this college aged thing even come from? Every description i've read says this takes place in high school. Also, even if it did take place in college. Do you really consider characters like these to be 18+?

You can have sex with 2/3 of these people btw

Apr 9, 2019
So long as it is referring to less pedo stuff but my gf and I get our fanservice games I'll be happy. Wary of that with the weird censorship they've done of certain games on Sony's platforms that even Nintendo is giving a pass lately.

I'd say put a mandatory proof of age gate or having to have a card on file to purchase/interact with said games in the eshops should be enough, but I don't know all the minutia of why this is being done.

I think the answer to representing women in gaming is to put out more content that is "better" in that regard rather than retroactively or future cutting of sexual/fan service-y content, but nothing wrong with trying to take a stand on it I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017
That's the base game. PS4 version got censored beyond that. How many times does this has to be explained to you? It's factual that yes, the PS4 version was censored.
I understand exactly the chain of events. It's you who doesn't seem to understand my point, so let me put even more clearly for the 50th time to you;
1) initial release of DMCV; full Trish nudity in all versions
2) PS4 version gets some "censorship" that blocks the view, other versions do not
3) "censorship" removed from PS4 version

My point is that those are the only facts and considering EVERYTHING ELSE SONY HAS DONE FROM 1ST PARTY TO MULTIPLATFORM GAMES AND EVEN A PS+ GAME AS RECENTLY AS TWO WEEKS AGO, they've never shown any adversity towards adult nudity (which Trish clearly is while most of the animu crap posted here hasn't been), so it's not based on any facts to draw the conclusion that this is something Sony forced upon Capcom in any way or manner. There are a multitude of explanations that could explain this that have nothing to do with what is happening with Sony's current stance on pedo bait anime games.

Oct 25, 2017
Complete disagreement, and yeah you are using a hyporbolic language by stating that they look like eight year olds. Not even their heights come close to the average height of an eight year old kid.
Agree. For example, the girl on the left has garter belts and they're are a dead give away she's too tall to be 8 years old. She's obviously 11-14 year old girl with a massive boob implants:

Oct 25, 2017
You do know that two of them are already in the group shot above, while the third is a side character at best. Meaning, not much importance in the story.
What's funny about this post is you got the 2 red heads in the game confused lmao. Which is doubly funnily because you inadvertently admitted designs in this game look underage, and the only difference is the massive boobs slapped onto nearly everyone

Paint me confused that your examples of this "affecting games with no underage sexualization" are of games with underage sexualization, even by your own admission.

So to sum up: every single example you've provided contains underage characters. The strongest claim you can make is that when these games are censored, they don't take chances and censor all the characters, including the ones that you could maybe, perhaps, make a case that look vaguely adult. That's a completely different claim from "games with no underage characters being censored".
I guess its fair to say I didn't word that correctly
I mean the censorship is affecting scenes involving the sexualization of characters that are not underage, and that the claim that Sony is only doing this to prevent the sexualization of underage characters is demonstrably false, as all the examples of censorship I've shown thus far are of characters that aren't underage. These games contain characters that are underage yes; I do not mean to refer to them as not containing said characters, but rather that the censorship is of characters that *aren't* underage. The scene examples I presented aren't involving the underage characters at all. The censorship taking place is not of underage characters.

Apr 9, 2019
Just looking at this picture is... ugh... Nah you would never catch me dead playing something with these designs.
This perspective has always been interesting to me. These designs seem relatively tame in comparison to what I'd expect being flagged as "sexualization" aside from 2 of the characters having some pretty exaggerated anatomy.

That being said it's always been interesting to me how much of a focus is put on anime "looking like children" and the discussion not usually covering the fact that art styles are exaggerations of reality and/or have ages that are pretty stupid to begin with.

Japan's relationship with age has always been weird when you have characters like Gohan in DBZ looking ripped and scary for a kid, characters like Edward Elric definitely looking beyond the age he's being presented as and acting as such as well, and other examples in games of older characters being treated like being over 20 is "old."

I think often times people make a false connection between people's love of a "set of physical features attached to a personality they like" and the real world equivalent, but that's a whole different conversation about how people perceive these forms of media and while there are definitely some pedo shit lords out there, I'd argue most are not thinking of those characters in specific terms of ages and such and more so attaching to a "set of traits attached to an appealing character design."

I understand why Anime is problematic and I understand why people would not like the style due to its exaggerated proportions and sometimes "child like" proportions in the faces, but in the end I'll always see anime as just a "style" rather than an accurate portrayal of any real bodies. (this is ignoring of course actual hentai/doujin/etc content that sexualizes minors and capitalizes on the fact that they're minors, versus something like Jojo where the character is "15" or whatever and it makes no sense)

EDIT: This is also interesting in the sense that it creates an interesting discussion of what is allowed to be portrayed by a person creating media. "Fetishizing" young people versus depicting real people having sex and/or engaging in sexual behavior when it is very realistic in the world we live in. If someone depicts a minor (below the age of 18 specifically) having consensual sex some could flag that as well. It's a dilemma that can't really be solved (to me anyways) with a catch all rule and has to be taken in a case by case basis. Unfortunately the man power required for something like this would probably be ridiculous.

I remember a thread about people believing that Persona 5 was idolizing grown people watching teens having sex, which seemed to ignore the context of projection that viewers of media have when they're engaging with something like gaming.

Mar 18, 2018
You can check plenty of threads made at the time in funcom and playstationcommunity forums complaining about it.
They were complaining about it because they didn't know you have to go searching through Admin settings to enable the option to have the option to enable it.

The shit obviously becomes normalized judging by the examples people are posting claiming they're totally fine and adult.
The thing I don't get right, is simply walking to the shops or work you should see kids and young girls just about on the street or something. It shouldn't be hard to know these characters aren't adults.

Dec 1, 2017
What's funny about this post is you got the 2 red heads in the game confused lmao. Which is doubly funnily because you inadvertently admitted designs in this game look underage, and the only difference is the massive boobs slapped onto nearly everyone
True, my fault for guessing only on hair color, but you are wrong to think I would confuse their bodies together. I still think Yuki has the body of a young adult woman.

Apr 9, 2019
You also failed to see the point of the post.
And possibly also the character's low cut top, exaggerated hips, and exposed thighs.
That's kind of a bummer to me as an artist. Exaggeration/caricature now means sexualization?

That's kind of a shallow perception of art. Especially when a chibi of a 37 year old isn't the same as a 37 year old, and people are normally impressed with people like celebrities who look younger than their actual age.

Maybe I missed some context somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
It's bare breast but keep on fucking that chicken. Way more then what your complaint was with DMCV.
I mean, it is censored, and it also came out before these new policies started being imposed. Really shitty example, honestly
But... the tweet right there says it's censored because of the ESRB and not sony, so...?
ESRB allows for full nudity. They'll just give you a AO rating. So it is Sony, because they dont allow AO games on their store.

Oct 25, 2017
But... the tweet right there says it's censored because of the ESRB and not sony, so...?
He's probably going to ignore the fact it has full nudity in other regions on PS4

I mean, it is censored, and it also came out before these new policies started being imposed. Really shitty example, honestly
Ah yes, doesn't meet their new policies so much that they decided to signal boost it by giving it away for free this month on ps plus. I see

True, my fault for guessing only on hair color, but you are wrong to think I would confuse their bodies together. I still think Yuki has the body of a young adult woman.
I mean cool? It's exactly what I was talking about tho. Childs face but slap some huge boobs on them and you're "good to go"

Oct 27, 2017
This perspective has always been interesting to me. These designs seem relatively tame in comparison to what I'd expect being flagged as "sexualization" aside from 2 of the characters having some pretty exaggerated anatomy.

That being said it's always been interesting to me how much of a focus is put on anime "looking like children" and the discussion not usually covering the fact that art styles are exaggerations of reality and/or have ages that are pretty stupid to begin with.

Japan's relationship with age has always been weird when you have characters like Gohan in DBZ looking ripped and scary for a kid, characters like Edward Elric definitely looking beyond the age he's being presented as and acting as such as well, and other examples in games of older characters being treated like being over 20 is "old."

I think often times people make a false connection between people's love of a "set of physical features attached to a personality they like" and the real world equivalent, but that's a whole different conversation about how people perceive these forms of media and while there are definitely some pedo shit lords out there, I'd argue most are not thinking of those characters in specific terms of ages and such and more so attaching to a "set of traits attached to an appealing character design."

I understand why Anime is problematic and I understand why people would not like the style due to its exaggerated proportions and sometimes "child like" proportions in the faces, but in the end I'll always see anime as just a "style" rather than an accurate portrayal of any real bodies. (this is ignoring of course actual hentai/doujin/etc content that sexualizes minors and capitalizes on the fact that they're minors, versus something like Jojo where the character is "15" or whatever and it makes no sense)

EDIT: This is also interesting in the sense that it creates an interesting discussion of what is allowed to be portrayed by a person creating media. "Fetishizing" young people versus depicting real people having sex and/or engaging in sexual behavior when it is very realistic in the world we live in. If someone depicts a minor (below the age of 18 specifically) having consensual sex some could flag that as well. It's a dilemma that can't really be solved (to me anyways) with a catch all rule and has to be taken in a case by case basis. Unfortunately the man power required for something like this would probably be ridiculous.

I remember a thread about people believing that Persona 5 was idolizing grown people watching teens having sex, which seemed to ignore the context of projection that viewers of media have when they're engaging with something like gaming.
If you draw in an art style where "adult" characters look like children, then perhaps don't use that art style for sexual content.

Not to even mention you can use these types of art styles and still draw actually adult looking charcters. You don't have to make the high school students (who look 13 or 14 at most with these styles) bang.

Nov 6, 2017
He's probably going to ignore the fact it has full nudity in other regions on PS4

Ah yes, doesn't meet their new policies so much that they decided to signal boost it by giving it away for free this month on ps plus. I see

I mean cool? It's exactly what I was talking about tho. Childs face but slap some huge boobs on them and you're "good to go"

But but it's Sony's fault for not showing my 3 seconds of ass.

Mar 18, 2018
In regards to most of your post about the art, there's a level of nuance that artstyles like the one the poster you quoted was talking about can be assumed not to have. There are different types of anime and while generalising, I don't think you can disagree that there's certain types and elements of character design that tend to have a high correlation with underaged ecchi or hentai type content. People would be much less likey to judge you for something with art like Persona than they would for something like that Nora game or Highschool dxd or something.

In regards to the part of your post I quoted about real depictions of sex vs fetishization, as an example of something none anime, there are certain types of people that claim Mass Effect Andromeda purposefully made all the characters desexualised as part of some SJW agenda, conveniently ignoring that you see the protagonists naked tits repeatedly throughout the game when older mass effect games never did that. Because they associate male gazey fetishism of the female characters with sexuality... rather than those characters having actual sex.

Apr 9, 2019
In regards to make of your post about the art, there's a level of nuance that artstyles like the one the poster you quoted was talking about can be assumed not to have. There are different types of anime and while generalising, I don't think you can disagree that there's certain types and elements of character design that tend to have a high correlation with underaged ecchi or hentai type content. People would be much less likey to judge you for something with art like Persona than they would for something like that Nora game or Highschool dxd or something.

In regards to the part of your post I quoted about real depictions of sex vs fetishization, as an example of something none anime, there are certain types of people that claim Mass Effect Andromeda purposefully made all the characters desexualised as part of some SJW agenda, conveniently ignoring that you see the protagonists naked tits repeatedly throughout the game when older mass effect games never did that. Because they associate male gazey fetishism of the female characters with sexuality... rather than those characters having actual sex.
Fair enough!

I was just curious because it seems there's a nuance that can be lost when speaking about these topics via text. I'm just trying to make sure I don't sound like I condone specific depictions of things but also understand the "grey area" of exaggeration in art and/or "style" to some looking like "children" while to others it's just caricature.

I'm bummed more games don't allow for the exploration of sex in a healthy relationship context myself, and/or relationships in general as most games/movies/etc seem obsessed with the "chase" or the "prize" but I understand where you're coming from as well. It's all about execution.

If you draw in an art style where "adult" characters look like children, then perhaps don't use that art style for sexual content.

Not to even mention you can use these types of art styles and still draw actually adult looking charcters. You don't have to make the high school students (who look 13 or 14 at most with these styles) bang.
I understand your perspective as seeing the anime style as "child like" and totally get it, but I also don't see cariacture/exaggerated forms as the same thing when it comes to sexualized content. Like the previous poster I quoted said I think we can agree there's a huge difference between say "fake anime high school" and "clearly elementary school students" but I understand the reaction to the art style, even if I don't share the same reaction to the style itself (moreso to the context and how the style/characters are used).

Oct 25, 2017
ESRB allows for full nudity. They'll just give you a AO rating. So it is Sony, because they dont allow AO games on their store.
So now we're past the point of manufacturing a narrative out of nothing, and in the territory of going against factual statements. Cool. There's no point to engaging with you here clearly. I don't know why you're so outraged about this to the point of inventing conspiracy theories (though one might surmise), but it seems that there's just no arguing with you here. You're just going to repeat the same points over and over until people stop getting baited. Enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough!

I was just curious because it seems there's a nuance that can be lost when speaking about these topics via text. I'm just trying to make sure I don't sound like I condone specific depictions of things but also understand the "grey area" of exaggeration in art and/or "style" to some looking like "children" while to others it's just caricature.

I'm bummed more games don't allow for the exploration of sex in a healthy relationship context myself, and/or relationships in general as most games/movies/etc seem obsessed with the "chase" or the "prize" but I understand where you're coming from as well. It's all about execution.

I understand your perspective as seeing the anime style as "child like" and totally get it, but I also don't see cariacture/exaggerated forms as the same thing when it comes to sexualized content. Like the previous poster I quoted said I think we can agree there's a huge difference between say "fake anime high school" and "clearly elementary school students" but I understand the reaction to the art style, even if I don't share the same reaction to the style itself (moreso to the context and how the style/characters are used).
Not all anime styles are the same. I fully understand exaggerated art styles and don't think exaggerated body proportions exclude all sexual content. I'm talking of these specific style of character designs. Using these specific kinds of childlike characters for sexualization/sexual content feels skeevy in a way that other exaggerated art styles don't, where even smaller, petite characters can still look like adults.

Oct 25, 2017
Real life does not matter. Yes, there are young looking adults. It doesn't mean your pedo bait animu VNs need to intentionally go for that look.
Real life matters when your argument is that only showing heads and not knowing which age they are somehow proves that x character does or doesn’t look like an adult to make the way you perceive a certain character to look like as some proof even though you could do the same with real people. That is all. I just found it to be a silly example as I further explained with the Overwatch or Ada mention

Mar 18, 2018
I disagree, as no child would have her height and shapely hips.
Can't believe I'm getting into this but no, they do not look shapely. Her hips are thin. She's thin, overly so with chidlish proportions, like being flat chested, having an oversized head and forehead, massive eyes, small chin, small shoulders and spindly arms. Basic characteristics of a small child that even adults who look like teenagers do not have.

It had tits, but dick and vag were hidden in US version.
because of the ESRB, not Sony. The tweet higher up on this page implies that Sony wouldnt have had a problem with it.

Dec 20, 2018
Here's a fun quiz. How many of these girls are underage?

None. 7/9 are between 23-25, one is 21 and the other is 20, with 20 being the age one is considered an adult in Japan.

That said, I'm all for getting rid of the grope/molest mini-game garbage that was in stuff like Senran Kagura, and Sony is free to exert whatever rules they want. Just wanted to inject a bit of reality into this conversation as there wasn't much of any attempt at reasoned discourse over what a young 20's Japanese girl would look like compared to a 15-17 high school girl.

Also, I laughed really really hard when I saw a particular comment in this thread from a user with a Hitagi Senjougahara/Bakemonogatari avatar. If you read what that post said and then watch the scene where the main character in that show molests an elementary school girl who is pleading for him to stop it brings up some amazing level of cognitive dissonance.

Dec 1, 2017
So how would you sexualize it?
If it has a child face and wide hips it's not a child because no child would have wide hips and the same aplies with any other phisical attribute
Honestly, I don't how to classify the face as it is a very generic face that I see often use by adults and teenagers in anime. As for kids, I often link to them having bigger foreheads and eyes, but I know this isn't 100% true.

Apr 9, 2019
Not all anime styles are the same. I fully understand exaggerated art styles and don't think exaggerated body proportions exclude all sexual content. I'm talking of these specific style of character designs. Using these specific kinds of childlike characters for sexualization/sexual content feels skeevy in a way that other exaggerated art styles don't, where even smaller, petite characters can still look like adults.
I get you. I won't say someone's opinion on perception of art is wrong because that's the nature of the medium. Just saw someone saying a thing like the Chibi Mercy was sexualized and I was like "awwww" because I thought it was just a cute little caricature.

I'd like to think we're all talking on a case by case basis rather than a catch all, I just saw some parts that were kinda bumming me out. It just reminded me of the posts where people were saying all the Disney artstyles "looked like children" when everyone had eyes 3x normal size haha. A fine line, to be sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I guess its fair to say I didn't word that correctly
I mean the censorship is affecting scenes involving the sexualization of characters that are not underage, and that the claim that Sony is only doing this to prevent the sexualization of underage characters is demonstrably false, as all the examples of censorship I've shown thus far are of characters that aren't underage. These games contain characters that are underage yes; I do not mean to refer to them as not containing said characters, but rather that the censorship is of characters that *aren't* underage. The scene examples I presented aren't involving the underage characters at all. The censorship taking place is not of underage characters.
So to sum it up: all your hand-wringing is about games that actually sexualize minors having to censor all their characters, not just the underage ones. Is that a correct assessment?

Here's the rest of the cast from that game
OK, that's it, I'm going to take a break from this thread or I'll have nightmares. To everone defending this shit: fucking shame on you.

Apr 9, 2019
Here's a fun quiz. How many of these girls are underage?

None. 6/8 are between 23-25, one is 21 and the other is 20, with 20 being the age one is considered an adult in Japan.

That said, I'm all for getting rid of the grope/molest mini-game garbage that was in stuff like Senran Kagura, and Sony is free to exert whatever rules they want. Just wanted to inject a bit of reality into this conversation as there wasn't much of any attempt at reasoned discourse over what a young 20's Japanese girl would look like compared to a 15-17 high school girl.
This is actually a pretty good point to what I was saying earlier about there being a sort of interesting difference of perception of age with Japanese media versus our own. I would have thought they were younger and I think that's part of what people see when they look at anime, which as I said is more of an exaggeration versus realistic depiction of something.

It's interesting seeing the difference in aging in different countries and their different nationalities. People are fascinating.

Dec 1, 2017
Can't believe I'm getting into this but no, they do not look shapely. Her hips are thin. She's thin, overly so with chidlish proportions, like being flat chested, having an oversized head and forehead, massive eyes, small chin, small shoulders and spindly arms. Basic characteristics of a small child that even adults who look like teenagers do not have.
I disagree, but I can't show image proof to counter your argurment, so let's end it here.