• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Insider: "Xbox Anaconda aims to be the clearly better performing device" compared to PS5

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,256 38.4%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 268 8.2%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,134 34.7%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 369 11.3%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 243 7.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Love all these "brand power" posts. It's like some of you were born when the PS4 released and don't remember last gen, where the consoles were basically neck and neck. Sony didn't double up on Microsoft at the beginning of this gen because of fucking brand power...lol.

It's also hilariously obtuse to use the X to prove that power doesn't matter. The thing didn't even release until the dust had already settled and people were firmly entrenched into their chosen ecosystem. If the X had been the lauch console you can bet your ass things would have been extremely different.

Anyway, believe what you will, but mulitplats sell consoles every bit as much as exclusives, or more, and having better versions of those will give either company a huge leg up.

Oct 27, 2017
MS does not want to make the same mistake again and I am sure they will pull all the stops to have more powerful hardware.
But of course even more important will be getting their first party stable of studios to produce extremely high quality games.

Oct 25, 2017
That’s an opinion you’re free to have but it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
At the launch of a console cycle it absolutely does matter. You claiming it doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things is not really true.

If the xbox and playstation launch in the same year and is more is less the same price. If the xbox is stronger, you can bet it will have an impact.

Oct 25, 2017
Love all these "brand power" posts. It's like some of you were born when the PS4 released and don't remember last gen, where the consoles were basically neck and neck. Sony didn't double up on Microsoft at the beginning of this gen because of fucking brand power...lol.

It's also hilariously obtuse to use the X to prove that power doesn't matter. The thing didn't even release until the dust had already settled and people were firmly entrenched into their chosen ecosystem. If the X had been the lauch console you can bet your ass things would have been extremely different.

Anyway, believe what you will, but mulitplats sell consoles every bit as much as exclusives, or more, and having better versions of those will give either company a huge leg up.
Nobody will jump ship abandoning their library..... With backwards compatible the huge majority of Ps4 owners will just upgrade. The US will be neck and neck, but rest of the world will continue Sony dominance. However Microsoft comes in a very healthy and ambitious position through their Windows and XCloud integration focusing in MAU.

Oct 26, 2017
they were neck and neck because the 360 launched a year earlier, $100 cheaper, had better 3rd party performance, a huge hit with kinect and Sony doing everything wrong and even then then they only managed a tie.

i'm not betting on either of these happening again.

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
They can easily put the offer in to pay more than the competition in exchange for a better product. Doesnt mean they know any details of what Sony are doing and no confidentiality is broken. Just them paying more for a superior product
AMD would literally have to break confidentiality, if they were to sign a contract with Microsoft saying that they will promise to build something superior to what is in Sony's contract.

How do you figure they price out the BOM for Microsoft? How do they inform but not inform Microsoft if Sony alters their specs?

This line of thinking is madness. They can't just wink wink and accidentally build them specs based off of what Sony is getting.

Oct 28, 2017

The original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 so why did the PS2 sell about 125 million more consoles?

Oct 26, 2017

PS3 launch aligned always sold more than 360. And was a $599 machine. Says alot.

Nov 3, 2017
I think the original Xbox one was a perfect storm of bad ideas - underpowered next to ps4 yet more expensive, kinect, online fiasco etc., it wasn't just any one singular thing. making the next console powerful is vital, as is having a reasonable price point which I guess is the point of lockheart.

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody will jump ship abandoning their library..... With backwards compatible the huge majority of Ps4 owners will just upgrade. The US will be neck and neck, but rest of the world will continue Sony dominance. However Microsoft comes in a very healthy and ambitious position through their Windows and XCloud integration focusing in MAU.
It's funny how we went from BC not mattering to it deciding a whole generation before it's even started. BC is great for people like me who holds on to all their games and frequently goes back to older ones, but there are a lot of people who only play games that have yearly updates (Madden, CoD, AssCredd etc.) I don't think BC is going to be deciding anything.

The original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 so why did the PS2 sell about 125 million more consoles?
Because the PS was a household name and the Xbox wasn't and it came out a year later.

Oct 28, 2017

That is a rather silly. Under no scenario could the Xbone X have released earlier. It is far from a miricle product. It was released a year after the Pro at a $100 more expensive. Releasing at the same time next year will be a differen proposition.

Oct 25, 2017

Brand power is the exact reason why in Gen 7, despite a disastrous launch and Xbox 360 coming out swinging, the PS3 was able to stay neck and neck with the system.

If you think that PlayStation's brand power isn't a key part of its success then you're living in lala land. While I obviously can't speak to how well either console will do next gen, just thought I'd chime in. You don't get where Sony is on hardware and software alone.

May 25, 2018
They can easily put the offer in to pay more than the competition in exchange for a better product. Doesnt mean they know any details of what Sony are doing and no confidentiality is broken. Just them paying more for a superior product
Nda's aren't drafted like this. The baseline is always not to disclose any knowledge or information outlined in the agreement, which most certainly prohibits any guesswork or disclosing any monetary amounts. You're basically suggesting that there's a glaring loophole and anyone could just ask what Sony is getting by starting a bidding competition on supposedly confidential knowledge.

This is very basic legal stuff and an nda only works if the situation appears as unchanged to third parties whether there is a contract it's referring to or not.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, the guys making out brand has nothing to do with it.
It's not just about the brand name however, although that is also a significant factor.

PS2 outsold the stronger competition largely because it had effectively won the generation before either of them even launched. PS2 wasn't the "weak machine" when it launched and broke sales records... it was the hilariously powerful machine that torpedoed the Dreamcast's momentum with mere demos and spec suggestions. If OG Xbox lost due to lack of brand strength, it would have also lost to the Gamecube due to Nintendo's established place in the market and perceived software quality.

The power narrative that put the Dreamcast to bed almost worked against the 360 as well, where the console was being derided as Xbox 1.5 for the longest time, before it became clear that all the PS3 demos were smoke and mirrors and not actually reflective of what the console was capable of. If it actually were capable of the initial hype it was building, the 360 would have been fucked upon its release, headstart or no.

Mar 26, 2018
I said not sure. I think Xbox is more likely to be more powerful, but all I want is an interface that isn't ungodly sluggish and good exclusives after all those aquisitions. Originally, I was just gonna get the exclusives on Windows 10, but seeing as the PS5 alone is supposedly more powerful than my PC, I might just use my Vega 56/Ryzen 1700 based PC for massively multiplayer and certain indie stuff and get the console.

Oct 28, 2017
AMD would literally have to break confidentiality, if they were to sign a contract with Microsoft saying that they will promise to build something superior to what is in Sony's contract.

How do you figure they price out the BOM for Microsoft? How do they inform but not inform Microsoft if Sony alters their specs?

This line of thinking is madness. They can't just wink wink and accidentally build them specs based off of what Sony is getting.
This is my new favorite thing with this new wave of fanboy warring this new generation kicked off. You got people coming up with all sorts of scenarios in their heads about how AMD will risk getting sued into oblivion, destroy their credibility, and lose tons of business (who would want to contract with AMD when they showed they can't maintain confidentiality with sensitive information?) from other clients just to give MS or Sony a slight edge power-wise for their game console.

Nov 25, 2017
The rise of PC as a really serious mass market platform for AAA gaming, and Microsoft having a new respect and commitment to it makes for a considerable overlap for people who care heavily about performance and having the 'best'.

I've got a taco bell X, but use it as a Blu-ray player. Games like AC Odyssey running at 4k/30 medium are not very impressive to me, and I don't even have a bleeding edge PC. With 5.2 8086k, 32GB DDR4-4000, and a 1080ti Aorus, I can run 3440x1440 Ultrawide at 100+FPS in Gsync, and the experience is generationally superior. I still play PS exclusives on my Slim, as I don't mind a well paced 30fps game as long as the input lag isn't screwed. Seems like most 1st party is pretty good in this area, God of War, Uncharted, HZD all 'feel' smooth enough and consistent. However, many multiplats just feel terrible on PS4/X1X due to dips under 30fps, bad input lag, etc. If Sony 1st party was available on PC, I'd definitely buy it there, but have no problem with it on PS4.

By the time 9th gen consoles are out in late 2020, the RTX refresh and Navi DGPUs will be available, so the high end gamers will probably be split between those that don't care about PC and those that want as few compromises as possible. The PS5 and $400 Xbox should be safe from this idea, but the market for a $600 console may be muted, as a certain number of those people will just overlap with budgets big enough to go bigger/better.

Oct 27, 2017
God, these threads really bring out the worst in people.
PS3 launch aligned always sold more than 360. And was a $599 machine. Says alot.
That’s a pretty simplistic analysis. PS3 was following on the heels of the PS2 juggernaut, Xbox was just barely trying to escape the “halo player” stereotype. The fact that the 360 was neck and neck with the PS3 was quite a feat, given the circumstances.

Jan 31, 2018
  • Sony is already trying to spin the narrative by announcing that their next console is 8k capable without proper conext like primarily being for video playback - which we're all aware of
I disagree. People don't abandon their consoles. Lots of people keep the old console and the get a new console be it Xbox or PS. There are very little differences between the 2 systems. But its fair to conclude that Sony will dominate traditional consoles, whereas Microsoft will dominate in everything else. Sony historically struggles with working with other partners, something Microsoft does very well with.

Nov 6, 2017
There are two different rumors going around, which set Anaconda at the same price and a hundred more. If the PS5 ends up costing 500€, like some suggest, would XB4 cost 600€ like the PS3? Let alone offer XBX-like expensive cooling solution, if their similarly priced competition goes with a cheaper method? That was my main argument, when some people expected both more powerful and quiet system during the same launch window. It just seems like an unrealistic expectation to me.
I suppose the idea is that they expect Microsoft to sell at a loss to build market-share. I doubt they'd do that. Or that they get better prices than Sony, which is weird. I agree that it'll be hard to beat PS5 at the same pricepoint. They may prioritise differently, say if Xbox doesn't go with a fancy-pants storage solution they can spend more on processing. But would they? Time will tell.

Then it'll cost more than 499
If that's what the PS5 will be priced, then yes. I could see them go all the way up to 599 if Lockheart is a good enough offering. I assume the whole point of doing two SKU's is to build a halo-product. And I don't mean the video-game franchise.

If MS is at all serious about an elite sku, don't make it a penny less than $699. Put actual components in there worthy of that price tag & "elite status." Your diehards will save up for it & buy it eventually or get the cheaper $299 sku available at launch. But I gotta say, I really don't want them to drop the console baseline too much again next gen. Make the base sku at least decent & not total shite because I want better quality 3rd party games next gen, thanks.
I'd say 599 USD is probably the roof. With Lockheart at 399. All guesswork though.

May 17, 2018
God, these threads really bring out the worst in people.

That’s a pretty simplistic analysis. PS3 was following on the heels of the PS2 juggernaut, Xbox was just barely trying to escape the “halo player” stereotype. The fact that the 360 was neck and neck with the PS3 was quite a feat, given the circumstances.
Yeah, and those 80 million PS3 sold surely weren't at 600. People love to make it sound like Sony never changed price or models when had they not reacted, they'd have never caught up.

Time and time again, Era conveniently forgets this or are too caught up with the brand religion they follow to perceive the reality of the video game industry.

This generation changed everything for everyone. Forever.

Network Services dwarfed the revenue income of hardware and peripherals combined last fiscal year and are on a huge rise. Game libraries have become a far more deciding factor on where the masses will go compared to the "most powerful console in the world" marketing tactic.

Oct 30, 2017
I suppose the idea is that they expect Microsoft to sell at a loss to build market-share. I doubt they'd do that. Or that they get better prices than Sony, which is weird. I agree that it'll be hard to beat PS5 at the same pricepoint. They may prioritise differently, say if Xbox doesn't go with a fancy-pants storage solution they can spend more on processing. But would they? Time will tell.

One interesting aspect is that MS will no doubt be dual purposing these boards to put on their server racks. There's an unknown yet totally plausible scenario where MS might offset some of the consumer cost with revenue they get from their server business from these boards. Only time will tell.

Oct 28, 2017

I will admit, I haven't read the whole thread front to back, but yeah, there is some insane historical revisionism going on in this thread.

And then get posts like this
As like if no-one left behind their 360 collection or traded it in when they moved to the PS platform.

Edit:

That said, I do agree with going into next next gen, this factor is a lot more important this time round

Time and time again, Era conveniently forgets this or are too caught up with the brand religion they follow to perceive the reality of the video game industry.

This generation changed everything for everyone. Forever.

Network Services dwarfed the revenue income of hardware and peripherals combined last fiscal year and are on a huge rise. Game libraries have become a far more deciding factor on where the masses will go compared to the "most powerful console in the world" marketing tactic.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
What do you mean “what”? If I want to play God of War, Bloodborne, or virtually any other generation-defining game, I can’t get that on xbox, and for any multi-platform game, I have a PC. So the only real selling point for an Anaconda is if I want MS exclusives or want slightly better performance for multiplats than a console I likely won’t be buying multiplats on anyway.

The point is, MS’s first party catalogue is weak and a powerhouse system will not magically solve that.

Nov 11, 2017
Well that is cool and all.... but that hasn't happened in their worst generation to date. Why was the X so premium priced if they wanted to 'beat down the competition'? Why wasn't it prices like the Pro? Why is the Xbox One All Digital priced so high? If they didn't burn money to beat down the competition this gen they sure as hell aint going to do it In the next.
I'm not so sure about them being willing to "burn money" in an effort to out price Sony but in your examples it wouldn't make much sense to eat cost on those consoles. They clearly know they aren't going to make up a tens of millions console deficit. One X and now One S digital are a marketing strategy and a show of faith that they are all in on being the place where gamers have choice to play however they want.

Nov 11, 2017

I mean them saying basically here's a blank check we want the best you can provide period in 2020 seems totally plausible. It doesnt at all mean they have to target Sony or say they want better than a competitor.

Oct 25, 2017
The point is, MS’s first party catalogue is weak and a powerhouse system will not magically solve that.
Something that alleviates that is Game Pass. At launch, you'll have access to every MS first party game that is launching on the Scarlett consoles AND all the BC titles from the Xbox One, 360 and OG, for $10. No need to spend another $200-300 in new games at launch.

As new games come, you can know with confidence you'll have access to everything the revamped Xbox Game Studios is putting out plus whatever 3rd party titles MS gets into the service.

Mar 23, 2018
I have a simple, open question:

Has the power difference between the current iterations of Playstation and Xbox ever been significant enough for it to be noteworthy? Sure, you might see a game here or there that people would claim "This couldn't be done on the competition..." (MGS4 with the Blu-Ray, for example), and I'll admit sometimes the occasional third party title (Bayonetta on PS3) can be significantly worse performing than on the other console, but on the whole it sure seems like, from the PS2/OG Xbox generation to the PS4/XB1 generation, both consoles have been more or less the same machine with different branding, and you could more or less play the same exact damn games on one as you could the other.

The point I'm trying to make here is that this talk about power seems like nothing more than empty posturing and rhetoric that never substantiates into anything meaningful in the finished product.

If you want MS exclusives, you go Xbox. If you want Sony exclusives, you go Playstation.

Because they are always the same machine with a different brand.