• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Final Fantasy XV: Dawn of the Future releasing in English in Fall 2019 via Penguin Random House

Oct 27, 2017
From Square Enix's press release:

Los Angeles (May 17, 2019) – Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS) today announced a multi-year sales and distribution agreement with Square Enix, Inc. (SEA, a US-based subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.) to introduce a new line of English-language manga, novels, and art books, beginning in Fall 2019, across all sales channels worldwide.

The Japanese multimedia entertainment company is best known internationally for their gaming properties, which include FINAL FANTASY®, TOMB RAIDER®, DRAGON QUEST®and NieR:Automata® titles on game consoles and mobile platforms, but in Japan, Square Enix is also a renowned book and magazine publisher. The company has previously licensed their manga properties (including hits like FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST®, SOUL EATER® and Black Butler®) to US-based publishers, but the new program marks their entry into the English-language market directly, publishing graphic novels and other book products under SQUARE ENIX for the first time through all major book sales channels.

The new imprint’s launch will be anchored by FINAL FANTASY XV: The Dawn of the Future, a novel containing a new chapter in the FINAL FANTASY XV universe; the manga Hi Score Girl, which was adapted into a hit anime on Netflix; A Man and His Cat (Japanese title: Oji-sama to Neko), the pet-themed comedy that was the bestselling new manga in Japan during the first half of 2018; and the complete edition of the global mega-hit manga Soul Eater.

“We are excited to have this opportunity to introduce our wide variety of books with the help of PRHPS to our new readers,” said Katsuyoshi Matsuura, Executive Officer and Vice President of Publication Business Unit, Square Enix Co., Ltd. Masaaki Shimizu, General Manager and Publisher of Book Publishing Division, SEA who is responsible of the new program, said, “We’re so excited that we now have the full support from PRHPS for achieving our goals to introduce more English translated books and expand our reach to new audiences.”

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Square Enix for their venture into the worldwide, English-speaking market,” added Jeff Abraham, President, Penguin Random House Publisher Services. “We see significant opportunity for their exciting and original program to succeed here.”
For those not aware, Dawn of the Future is a novel that tells the stories originally meant to be added to the game as Episode Aranea, Episode Lunafreya, and Episode Noctis. (I believe it also covers Episode Ardyn?) The stories told for the Lunafreya and Noctis portions serve as alternate storylines for how the original game ended, with the intention of ultimately providing a different and more happy ending. The novel was released in Japan on April 25th.

Oct 27, 2017
When your game needs a damn novelization just to wrap up the story line. At least those really into it get some closure and back story. Shame as this game was a mess from start to finish. I don't hate tabata or the crew involved, did what they could. Sure as fuck not touching 16 right off the bat though

OP
OP
LukarWuff
Oct 27, 2017
When your game needs a damn novelization just to wrap up the story line. At least those really into it get some closure and back story. Shame as this game was a mess from start to finish. I don't hate tabata or the crew involved, did what they could. Sure as fuck not touching 16 right off the bat though
This novel isn't wrapping up anything. Most of the new stuff in it is non-canon.

OP
OP
LukarWuff
Oct 27, 2017
Ok got you. Kind of strange as I felt the ending was fitting and one of the few things they actually did right. Interesting
I liked the original ending as well. Not sure if I'll like the new story or not, but I'll take as much FFXV as I can get. Love the world and characters.

The Aranea story is canon at least, or I think it is anyway. It's supposed to show the fall of Niflheim from her perspective. Really looking forward to that in particular since we didn't get to see enough of Niflheim in the game.

Oct 29, 2017
I already read the novel last week and it's terrible...just pure fan service with a lot of retcons and laughable logic. Don't get your hopes up.
But if you just want a happy ending then it'll serve its purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
Please give us the hilarious boxed edition. Everything I've read about this book is hilarious but I still want to see it through to the end.

Really cool seeing Square-Enix jump on this, especially considering they were just releasing those old Final Fantasy VII novels for the first time a few months ago. Was fucking bizarre seeing On the Way to a Smile in the new releases section of my bookstore

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Please give us the hilarious boxed edition. Everything I've read about this book is hilarious but I still want to see it through to the end.

Really cool seeing Square-Enix jump on this, especially considering they were just releasing those old Final Fantasy VII novels for the first time a few months ago. Was fucking bizarre seeing On the Way to a Smile in the new releases section of my bookstore
Considering that they (and before, Enix) are on the publication business for years with magazines and manga, I'm surprised that didn't happened before at least for US be it on a partnership, new company or acquisition.

Oct 27, 2017
So around the same writting quality as the game then, can't wait :^D
Yeah, I'm not really sure if there's much that can be done to FF15's story to make it anything other than "pure fanservice" with "laughable logic" and "lots of retcons". The plot was already full of holes to begin with, and much of the stuff about the world of Eos, the Astrals, the Crystal, the Lucii, and so on was just goofy schlock. There's not much you can do about that when expanding on the world; you just gotta roll with it.

OP
OP
LukarWuff
Oct 27, 2017
just let it die already....
Wow, it took almost one whole day before someone said this. I think that's a new record, we're making progress.

I am wholeheartedly happy we will be getting this content for XV, but not gonna lie I initially thought it was a DLC of some sort. :(
It was going to be DLC originally, but SE canceled it near the end of last year. There's an art book that came with this novel's special edition in Japan with a ton of concept art for it.